We know old-school guys like Mighty and Knack were only in the comic because they were grandfathered-in from when their...

We know old-school guys like Mighty and Knack were only in the comic because they were grandfathered-in from when their games were actually relevant.

When IDW starts from scratch, do you think they'll be among the characters SEGA allows the comic makers to use?

Given their wanted poster cameos in recent games, I'm guessing Sega's not opposed to having them around. It's just a matter of finding a writer that would bother to bt«ring them in.

I don't see why they wouldn't. Might as well keep the cast a healthy size so they have enough characters to bounce off of

It all depends on how Strict Sega is this time around, and how much IDW wants to fight for the right to use legacy characters.

I would think IDW would find it too difficult to sustain an ongoing comic book series using just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman as the only recurring characters.

Plus, if they really do bring Flynn on board ( In an E-mail response they did tell me he was on their radar ) I think Flynn would fight tooth and nail to get those legacy characters into the comic, if not immediately, eventually. Heck, slim chance, but he may even fight for the SatAM characters.

He probably won't get the SATam crew. But using characters like Mighty, Ray, Honey and Sticks etc may go a bit into rounding out the roster better

If Sega really didn't want them appearing in the comics, then they wouldn't have shown up in the reboot. Them being grandfathered in means nothing, Sega could just reject any story using them if they wanted to.

If Ian is writing the IDW comics, which I feel is going to happen, then they will probably all show up sooner or later.

Sega had no problem with Honey the Cat suddenly showing up just a few years ago.

Honey was in a game and is literally just a sonicfied version of a Fighting Vipers character

>but he may even fight for the SatAM characters.
No way he'd get them, though

Part of me thinks SEGA might actually be relieved to finally let this part of their past go.

No more implied/soft-core romance tension between Sonic and Sal
No more Sonic having family members like Uncle Chuck
No Rotor, making Tails and Eggman back to being the only inventors allowed (as said by the Sonic Boom RoL creators, Cliff wasn't allowed to be an inventor because only the aforementioned two are allowed to)

Who owns the Adventures character like Scratch and Grounder? Still Archie?

Sega does.

Wait I just remembered Grounder and Coconuts are actual game badnicks

Those haven't been a thing in the comics for a while. That's what reworking the characters for the reboot was for.

In any case, I don't think it's completely impossible. Sega knows it would piss of a giant faction of the fans if they let those characters die forever...

But I do think them being major characters is highly unlikely, best thing SatAM fans can hope for is the characters coming back with new roles, but being very minor characters that may not be seen for several issues.

IDW is pretty good about pulling from all sorts of the franchises they're working on, you can see that pretty well in TMNT and Ghost Busters.

Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts are all based off badniks from Sonic 2. Those characters belonged to Sega before the show was even made.

I think in a way they all were. Scratch-like enemies appeared in Wing Fortress turrets.

>Sega knows it would piss of a giant faction of the fans if they let those characters die forever...

It would certainly be cool on their end to allow it but let's not pretend like the Freedom Fighters have a HUGE non weirdo audience and outside of the very vocal ones is probably not as big a factor as you think

>it would piss of a giant faction of the fans if they let those characters die forever...
So would ending the Archie comic

>No more Sonic having family members like Uncle Chuck
The reboot tried to fix that one by having Uncle Chuck be some guy that everybody calls Uncle for some reason but the problem is that him being Sonic's close family member is so ingrained in peoples' minds that he can't just be seen as anything else.

What have the turbo sonic fans been saying about this turn of events. I can't imagine they're doing back flips

For the longest time, people had assumed the comics were on their way out, and Archie's silence only made those beliefs stronger.

Probably a great idea on SEGA's part to wait until the IDW partnership was a done deal before fully announcing that the Archie partnership was officially over.

Im not gonna lie I am a little bummed some of these issues will never see print

They might not be as numerous as the game fans, but this is isn't a game.

Classicfags don't care about the story in Sonic. They wouldn't buy a Sonic comic.

Modernfags though, a good number of them care enough about the story to consider reading a Sonic comic, and it's highly likely that at least half of the modernfags are already fans of the Archie Series.

Not to mention there's plenty of fans who exclusively read the comics and either don't play the games, or they've become so disenchanted with the games that the Comic was all they enjoyed about Sonic anymore.

Fighting for anything of the old SatAM continuity is absolutely worth doing if they want to keep the audience built up over the years.

I'm not saying it's essential, and I'm not saying the comic can't be good without SatAM characters, but it would definitely help a Sonic Comic to keep some of the elements from the last comic so those people don't feel completely left out in the cold.

I'm not going to ignore this comic if there's no SatAM characters, but if it's anything like the current direction of the games, or if it's classic pandering dialed up, I'm probably not going to bother with it.

Exactly why they announced that there'd be another comic the day after.

Besides, I think Archie fans had already were more pissed at Archie for all the radio silence over the past few years ( and yes this shit's been going on longer than some people think. Trying to collect the Graphic Novels has been a nightmare )

People keep saying they should take Sonic Mega Drive and make it into a full series but what people don't realize is that something like that would get boring after five issues.

I doubt any game-first characters are off limits, besides the bioware game for obvious reasons, but I doubt any will show up for a while either due to trying to rebuilding the world or simply preferring to stick with what people know. I wouldn't be surprised if they start to show up down the line though.

IDW should make it like the UK comic.

Sonic is the headliner, but back-up strips are based on all kinds of Sega IPs.

I haven't read it myself yet, but I assume it's a fun story that's a fantastic miniseries, but would be shit as an ongoing unless it started to add onto it's character roster, which likely defeats the purpose of a classic-centric, Sega-character-only story.

It's pretty much Sonic, Tails, Knux and Amy running through a game like world shit talking each other and making funny faces

>Only 1/3rd of a 20 page issue is devoted to Sonic while the rest of it is focused on dead franchises only hardcore fans care about
That's a stupid idea. Shut up, Boco.

Apparantly Black Doom is off limits too. Which is a shame, because even if he's a generic evil overlord from a C- game, he's still one more villain in Sonic's tiny rogues gallery, and I bet Ian could do fun things with him.

Well they wouldn't be dead if IDW made people more aware of them, now would they?

Isn't he the one that's just a poor man's Wiseman

>Not wanting to see Shining Force, Virtua Cop or Golden Axe getting some love

YOU SHUT UP!

Pretty much. The whole idea behind it is that it's a Genesis era game created in the form of a comic. That's awesome for a one time thing but nobody in their right mind would want an ongoing series of nothing but that.

Sonic already hast roster bloat. Don't make is Transformers tier where there are hundreds of dudes running around while only a handful actually matter.

If they were a separate series, then sure. But I do not want to buy a Sonic book and get only ten pages of Sonic. Take your nostalgia goggles off for five seconds and realize how retarded that would be.

>Using a perverted Japanese woman's fursona

Black Doom made a physical appearance in a flash back in one of Shadow's Universe arcs

I think the only reason they didn't use him in that arc was because, going by game-canon, he was dead by that point

>We know old-school guys like Mighty and Knack were only in the comic because they were grandfathered-in from when their games were actually relevant.
Not really.

We know from the addition of Honey, etc that most obscure game characters were available up to the end.

The ones grandfathered were the SatAM and AoSTH properties, due to the fact the contracts that kept being renewed were from 1992 and covered using those two shows. Those are the ones likely to be dropped. Forgotten game characters have a much higher chance at appearing. Might still be dropped, but not as likely.

Two words, Boco: Licensing nightmare. It would be like if Worlds Unite was a whole goddamned series rather than just a crossover event.