Im trying to get into calarts soon. Are there any tips or things i should know about before applying?

Im trying to get into calarts soon. Are there any tips or things i should know about before applying?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtG4P3lq8RHFBeVaruf2JjyQmZJH4__Zv
quickposes.com/en
line-of-action.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't

Getting into calarts will instantly get you a job making any cartoon you want. You can do it buddy.

Don't be that guy that takes a shit on a canfass but gets a fantastic grae because you manage to bullshit that it actually has meaning. Try to improve your skills there, not really your idealogy too much, if that makes sense.

Im going to anyways. Im bot wasting my life being a shitposter, im gonna make stupid kids cartoons and sneak in satanic imagery for lulz, and then ill shitpost about it on here like justin roiland does.

Find a better career instead of ruining animation even more.

I hope you never make it.

in general just dont lose focus. you got a plan and you should get it done on time if not earlier

>canfass
what is your actual fucking problem

drunk

Please put hot chicks in your cartoons.

Learn to draw that one face and noodle arms. You know the one.

Also you should know it's mostly a party school for rich kids. You probably won't get an animation job anyway, so just fuck around and have a good time. Unless you want to slave away so you can do grunt work for peanuts on some shitty show.

And if against all odds you do make it big somehow, make sure you fucking stop posting on Sup Forums unless you want to jeopardize everything.

This, despite everyone being a little bitch about the calarts boogy man, it's the perfect place for networking which is what you want

You guys do know Dexter Laboratory and PPG creators were from cal-arts, right? I think you should go, user.
>inb4 "those were good cal-arts!"

>pay out the ass and study for years
>get shit jobs for years
>finally work your way up
>come back to Sup Forums to boast about how you actually made it
>first post you see is how your work is shit

don't do it, op

>Learn to draw that one face and noodle arms. You know the one.

I don't think this is even from CalArts

Apologies, as you were

>>come back to Sup Forums to boast about how you actually made it
>>first post you see is how your work is shit
Sup Forums is love

If you don't have any artwork studied from life don't even bother entering your portfolio.

Also getting in is extremely hard. If you get it awesome. If not then don't beat yourself up over it

Any suggestions on what to have? Should I learn from youtube?

Are there any sites where i can learn life drawing?

>getting into calarts just in time for cable, especially children's networks, to be dying

solid choice op

>Should I learn from youtube?

Don't bother applying.

Show us some of your art, OP.

yeah OP, show some art so we can get intimate in here.

I hope you like beans and noodles.

nice joke

That's just life advice

Sup Forums really is love then

buy some new kneepads.
You're gonna need them for all the dicksucking youll be doing

Not everyone that goes to Calarts wants to get into tv animation, let alone animation for kids.
Some of them actually go on to do animation projects for video game companies or just become storyboarders for movies.

Please tell me this isn't what you plan on showing them

>Not everyone that goes to Calarts wants to get into tv animation, let alone animation for kids.

yeah but op does

W-what should i show them then

Nudes

Show them good art instead.

How is my art not good? They are supposed to be weird aliens so anatomy is not the issue. What can i work on to better myself anons.

I live 15 minutes away from CalArts. Good luck finding an affordable place.

Stop drawing aliens with weird anatomy.

I'd recommend drawing some stuff using a tablet, cleaning it up some, and if that looks decent submit that instead. These look more like doodles than semi-pro art.

That said, I really like the designs, and if you can make them look more clean appealing I think they'll stand out pretty well.

Do you mean a wacom tablet or an ipad

>Using an ipad for drawing
>ISHYGDDT
Drawing tablet like Wacom for sure

Am I having a stroke?

>this is the future of american animation

If you're going to show them that at least clean it up first or do something with them.

Get some good pens/markers to give it a better outline or do a better job on your lineart.
Try to refine your style and experiment a little.
I'm sorry user but your drawings are shit, and if if you can't do a little more to show some effort like coloring it in (I recommend some hatching) then why even bother trying to get into Calarts.
Your style could be cool if you actually try to draw with some sort of basic human anatomy because they look like humanoid aliens.

>He doesn't draw using Kid Pix with a mouse on a 10 year old IBM computer
No wonder animation has gone to shit

Thanks user, ill take what you said seriously and try to work on anatomy

study art and anatomy. You need a basis to build on and you don't really have one.
You can't stylize or abstract shit well if you don't understand which elements are important and which aren't. This stuff is very deceptive in how complex it can actually be.

What the fuck? Did you just wake up this morning and decide you wanted to be an animator? Dude, you have to at least kind of know how to draw. Jesus.

OP is trolling

Thank goodness. I hang around /ic/ too often. I've seen some real...optimists to say the least.

I like your doodles, they're fairly imaginative. But that alone won't be enough.
invest in art supplies, observe artists drawing shit and see how they do it. There isn't necessarily a single right way to learn this stuff, you have to find what works for you. But you do have to understand these principles.
There's tons of resources for this kind of thing online.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtG4P3lq8RHFBeVaruf2JjyQmZJH4__Zv
quickposes.com/en
line-of-action.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

Ignore this idiot.
If you want to do cartoons then you do not need to waste your time learning anatomy drawing.

Man fuck this new captcha. Im so done with this god awful website.

>tfw want to write for cartoons but too insecure to actually practice writing and know if ever got a job it would be on some shitty show anyways
>And I can't draw for shit so storyboarding is out

>i can't fail if i never try in the first place!

typical Sup Forums logic

>If you want to do cartoons then you do not need to waste your time learning anatomy drawing.
Good luck making a portfolio good enough to show art colleges and studios without knowing basic anatomy.

YOU.
DON'T.
NEED.
TO STUDY.
ANATOMY FOR CARTOONS.
It is not necessary at all for animation or making a portfolio.

>not drawing in ink and pencil then taking pictures with a digital camera from 2003
step your game up squido

Either this is bait of you're actually retarded.

>not using smashed up blueberries and the blood of your prey to paint
I was born in the wrong generation

Listen fucktard.

Human anatomy has fuckall to do with cartooning. You don't need to study it all whatsoever and it has nothing to do with building a portfolio.

You obviously have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and im not going to just sit by and let you give bad advice to someone equally as clueless as you are. You probably draw worse than OP does, or just some idiot that is trying to give advice on a subject he knows nothing about

OP if you are still here, don't waste your time crunching anatomy books if all you want to draw is cartoons. I have never met ANYONE that has actually done that and they all draw what they liked and were good at it.

Guys, do i have what it takes to get into CalArts? I'm going for that cartoony look, so I didn't practice my anatomy much, but I think it turned out alright. I want to become a professional cartoonist and make millions while crafting a unique and engaging show for children and adults alike.

Being passive aggressive doesn't make you right. If anything, it proves you're in no position to be giving anyone advice. If anything you should be taking your own. Can you even name half the muscles of the human body? You probably can't even draw them let alone name them. Your probably some retard from /ic/ that just parrots material he hears about without actually studying any of it himself.

But you can keep embarrassing yourself

I bet you don't even draw because I have literally never heard an artist spout out suck idiotic thinking in my entire life. Seriously, make a thread about this on /ic/ and not a single person will agree with you.

/ic/ is literally full of kids just learning how to draw and idiots like that try to give people advice on subjects they are totally ignorant on.

so how do I, a beginner, learn how to pose characters from my imagination, what route do I take?

Which is what you are doing.

uh huh thats nice, you can go now
Most people think the key to getting better at drawing something from imagination is to just grind it over and over but this is outdated and severely inefficient method, and will just wind up wasting time .

There is a certain "science" behind drawing that you need to understand if you want to improve. I put science in quotations because its not something that has yet be supported with quantifiable evidence, however it is toted among actual concept artists. Not underage know it alls on Sup Forums.

For example, lets say you want to draw animals. What is your plan of action? Practice drawing one animal for like a week over and over again and then repeating the process again for a new animal?
I fucking hope not, because you are wasting your time and are on the path to burn out.

Animals, like everything, can be broken down into basic shapes. The more efficient method to drawing would be to understanding how to recreate these shapes in both your mind and on your canvas by adding the necessary details with your passive memory. Understanding how your passive memory and active memory work alongside your drawing sessions is crucial for when you are building your "visual library" that you subconsciously use when drawing from imagination.

He's asking for advice to get in. You definitely need anatomy drawing because it's in the freaking application requirements.

Have you not seen any of the porfolio's that have been approve by Calarts.
Not to mention some of the more notorious ones like Pendleton Ward or JG Quental...?
They do not care about anatomy drawing skills. Its nice to have sure, but its totally unnecessary.

It's still required on the application even if it isn't important. Most programs will void your application if you follow their instructions.

At least OP is cute. You on the other hand have allowed the abyss to eat away your soul.

>knowing the concept of art
we've evolved too much

if you have to ask Sup Forums for advice on how to get into calarts you're not getting into calarts

Story, story, story! If you don't have a good story, just submit it to an art website and you'll get fans nonetheless.

It won't be a shitty show if you're a good enough writer.

That's a majority of everyone in the world, desu

As a person that went to an art school, I agree, you do gotta use basic shapes to learn to draw.

And you've also gotta learn anatomy.

From what I've heard many times, art schools only care about how unique you are, and nobody has any understanding of anatomy. I'm not sure what art schools are even for.

>tfw too poor to enter CalArts

I think i have the level to enter but I'm not American and i don't have the money needed to enter

FUNDAMENTALS

Dude... if you have to ask this, you are nowhere near ready to apply to CalArts.

>I think i have the level to enter

Show us, please

Post your work, unless you are afraid to have your assanine logic invalidated by the fact that you probably suck dick.

Study for the degree but develop your own artstyle without the generic calarts artstyle

>Not getting your start by arranging Powerpoint 2003 presentations for your own amusement without realizing you were subconsciously learning the essential directorial task of capturing uninflected images
Fucking casuals

show personality & story in your drawings. Study from life, cafe drawings, life drawings, caricatures.

Just dont do beanface PLEASE.

If you do make it in the industry try to be your own dude.