What the hell is actually wrong with her?

What the hell is actually wrong with her?

The "she has autism" meme actually makes sense.

Haven't really read anything with her in it, but when it comes to writing women Bendis usually defaults to overconfident bitch or insecure loser. Do either of those things describe Riri, your image aside?

Very overconfident, I wouldn't say bitch,Mostly autistic.

I know people bring up these three pages and say they're cringey, but I think its neat. It shows the character is motivated and strong.

And I don't even read comics, but these three pages are nice. Is the rest of the comic just as good, or is this an uncharacteristically good piece of a shitpile?

If she was really motivated and strong she'd just invent stuff. She wouldn't wait around for someone to pretend to tell her she can't.

It's cringy as fuck.

I mean if you liked these 3 pages, yeah I you'd probably would like it.

Are you high? These pages are awful. This isn't how you write a hero its a super villains story. She "asks" to be oppressed.

>And I don't even read comics
Maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there, because you don't read comics, you wouldn't know the fucking difference.

Except it shows the opposite of that. She's legit asking to be put in somebody's shadow just so she can escape it. A strong and motivated character wouldn't need that.

I like the 3 pages. It reminds me of... maybe half of my peers at college. It seems like they really want to face bigotry and oppression. They want to feel like the underdog everyone roots for, justify their victim mentality, foment righteous indignation, and overcome oppression by 'the man'. The truth is that most of them are among the most privileged people in the world. A bunch of students even protested outside of the dean's private home demanding her resignation over the cost of tuition and 100 other things that the dean doesn't control.

A fucking psycho in the making

Has bendis wrote a decent character ever?

Ultimate Spider-Man has been storytimed here the past week and it's pretty damn well done. When his Bendis-speak isnt flashing it's actually very good Spidey work.

If you can relate to this shitcan of a character, you would love the shit out of Bendis writing.

Thank God you guys aren't writers. You'd write some of the most boring, straight-forward shit ever.

The whole thing is it's suppose to subvert the typical "motivational" backstory because that oppressed shit doesn't really apply now-a-days. It's cute, it's fine.

Going "rofl psycho in da making" to some kid character, you may as well call characters like Lilo sick in the head.

Dialogue is dialogue. Doesn't matter if it's comics, movies, or a radio show.

Writing can pretty much translate across all mediums, you don't have to have some lifetime experience on reading comics to enjoy some dialogue in a comic.

She is a psycho, she thinks that whites are nothing but evil monsters and because her teacher is white, she must be a villain. When the teacher disappoints her misconceptions, rather then change her world view, she instead demands the teacher conform to them.

Thats not good writing, thats not a good character, thats a fucking psychopath. She behaves like one constantly threw out the comic. She acts like she hates white people, she has a grudge on her shoulder due to mental illness and not reality, and she swears she is better then tony stark (a white guy).

She is a shit character and a villain.

Ultimate Spider-Man is fantastic and I feel bad for those that can't enjoy it because of a Bendis grudge.

>It's cute, it's fine.
You made your point, Bendis. Go back to writing your next unfulfilling book.

This is virtue signaling.

That teacher ain't white though.

Not sure why everyone shat on user for this. A small girl wanting to be exactly like her heroes and being unable to process not repeating their origin stories is hilarious. I haven't read the rest of the comic, but those 3 pages are solid

No wonder this triggers you so much, you're throwing just as much assumptions as the character is.

By all logic, you should love her.

Nigga what? that teacher isn't white? She is as pale as a ghost in the first page.

You need to read more bendis

Except gifted people enjoy challenges and that's all Riri was looking for.

She's light-skinned black.

>A small girl wanting to be exactly like her heroes
>her heroes
did u read the pages?

OH yes, "light skinned black"
Nothing about that woman is black.

Yeah lil' Riri is cute.

The plural was an accident. I meant hero since she was specifically referring to Guion Bluford.

It's stupid and it shows Bendis is tone deaf to discrimination.

Then again this is the guy who cries when people refer to him as a jew and calls himself a minority because he's Jewish.

>It's stupid and it shows Bendis is tone deaf to discrimination.
This was a way fresher take than her actually being shot down by her teacher and told "Be a nurse".

no. a character asking to be oppressed is retarded. if I were writing her, make her actually inspired by all those black people she looks up to or something like that. she literally asks for someone to put her down so she can feel inspired. as one user once said, she wants to be in someone else's shadow. I would make it so that she looked at technology and noticed how it helped her family and thought "i want to help people just like that." maybe that happened in the comics or something but I haven't read them

>She is a psycho, she thinks that whites are nothing but evil monsters and because her teacher is white.

I wonder if she will do it to a black teacher?

>It shows the character is motivated and strong.
No it shows that she needs motivation and direction.
If she was motivated she wouldn't need her teacher's disapproval, if she was strong then she wouldn't base her entire life on an offhanded comment.
She could've been anyone, did anything, but because her entire life revolves around an unnamed astronaut she comes off as abnormal at best and a psycho at worst.

USM has a whole is fine the only problems for me where that they dialogue in the beginning was really clunky, Bendis has a weird way of writing some words("High-school" for example), and the majority of the villains in the comic were pretty forgettable.

It's not retarded for a small child to be incapable of thinking success is possible if you don't follow your hero's footsteps.
user I think these 3 pages are more of a joke than actual motivation

Yeah I did and it really couldn't be more simpler user.
Riri wants to be like the first black astronaut, a personal hero of hers, but
But times have changed and now black people aren't discouraged from being scientists but riri was looking for the challenge of being told she can't do it.

>Misses the simple point of three pages entirely
>Think it's her wanting to be in someone's shadow rather than an impressionable kid trying to recreate what their heroes do, like what a lot of people do
>Comes up with generic backstory of, "She should be inspired by her people! That's her motivation!"

Yeah, thank the fucking makers you're not a writer.

how does her hair not get in her face in the helmet

Is this suppose to be funny? The shitty "Stan lee fucked Kirby's wife" stuff is better.

Yeah, I misread and thought you were referring to her wanting to be/be better than Tony, not black astronaut women. Emphasis on the >her was it being the teachers choice.

>user I think these 3 pages are more of a joke than actual motivation
Then it was expressed poorly.
If we're dealing with an unreliable narrator then her subsequent books should make her look better, otherwise all we have is what we're given. And what we're given paints a bad picture for Riri

>please please oppress me!
>randomly name any successful white male and I'll make it my life's bent to replace him!

she's got hardwired mental issues. Everyone gives her everything. Offers her everything. She's a villain in the making. Except she's already invaded and took over a country so guess we're past some older assumptions.

Your inability to sense when a joke is present isn't a criticism.

Just think, the teacher could have said Bruce Banner and we'd have a new female Hulk right now.

her teacher is black

she needs a good dicking

That explain her lips, she got some African features....Oh shit, she is black.

>we need to be able to tell the astronaut is black
>so let's give her bigger lips and frizzier hair

>being able to pull off wearing purple
She is 100% black

You wrong Riri is good character. You are just butterhurt because she is new Iron Man.

It isn't a real challenge if she has to force someone to give it to them. She's not being oppressed or looked down upon, but she wanted to do she could have the moral high ground to prove someone wrong and prove herself. That's beyond unnecessary, much like Riri.

Not that guy, but the fact that a vast majority of people in and out of Sup Forums didn't see this as a joke, which it very much is just badly done, shows that Bendis didn't structure this well at all. There's no punchline, her expression comes of as psychotic more than funny and it is just plain weird. It would've worked better if Riri had comically gotten sad or disappointed and the teacher out of pity then mentions the whole "you'll never be like Tony Stark", Riri gets motivated and the teacher smiles as she sees Riri all motivated. It would've been a far more cute and inspiring moment. Instead we get Riri looking at the teacher like a dead fish, fucking dead pan and shit, and the teacher annoyingly just mentioning Tony, and then Riri drawing shit. It's not a good joke, if it is a joke. It's just not well executed or made to be taken as a joke because it is NOT a joke. It's a serious moment, and it is terrible.

Someone should draw that.

>they actually copied the face shot from the previous page for this one
I'm surprised that I'm surprised.

>suggesting

This is kind of cute and hilarious in a really stupid way that kids often are.

Holly shit, she look good too.

That woman is literally perfection.

>We're not even going to say her name
>She's just "The female black astronaut"

Bendis is the worst, and Ririr is the worst's worst.

I quite agree. Intelligent, anti-social, doesn't readily pick up on communicative clues...
I'd say a high-functioning Aspie.

>I don't even read comics

Go away and never come back.

>she thinks that whites are nothing but evil monsters

That is 100% horseshit. NOTHING in the comic suggests Riri is racist.

>this many anons who are so autistic, dry, and humorless they can't see the point
I can't believe I'm defending a piece of shit like Bendis here. I'm blaming you all for this.

That's not Bendis. The argument, while faulty, is made concisely, briefly and without repetition.

Riri is cute, period. It's part of a very surreptitious problem: no ugly chicks allowed in the superhero business.

If she was frumpy, overweight, short-sighted and awkward, maybe have a stutter, it would solve half of her problems.

Thing is, Riri is obsolete. At least twice over. We have Natasha Irons, Lila Rhodes and, arguably, Lunella Lafayette (but she was introduced around the same time as or later than Riri). Being a Mary Sue is one thing, but a redundant one who is inferior to her predecessors?

At least Bendis is trying something interesting now.

>missing the point of his post
You need some reading comprehension.

>Defending Bendis
>at all
Back to Tumblr with you.

Nice try Bendis but you need to come up with better retorts than "hur dur thank god you are no writer"

She trigger the white patriarchy. Nothing's wrong with her

Is there something that triggers the brown patriarchy?

>no ugly chicks allowed in the superhero business.

According to PC, such a thing does not exist.
White people is the answer, though.

Angry manchildren will literally look for and invent reasons to be offended. They're SJWs in reverse.

That's not a superhero though.

>no ugly chicks allowed in the superhero business

Alimony and marriage?

but she is ugly.

...Borderline, but I'll give it to you.

Q.E.D.

someone should draw lewds

black lolis are rare as fuck

Ask Shadman, he should have a field day

Carol is hot though, for some reason artists choose not to draw her hot.

Too bad I don't have the Astonishing X-Men pic of Kitty Pryde standing there with her man shoulders, man jaw and crotch bulge as she fires some giant gun to destroy the evil toy dronecopter threat.