Marvel's Doctor?

Who would you say is Marvel's Doctor (from Doctor Who)? Yeah I know they published some books and there is a homage to him (from an Iron Fist book from the 70s I think), but I'm talking as to who's the closest to his personality/importance/power level.

Best I can some up with is Reed Richards, but he rarely flies solo (I'm not counting the companions). Stark fits the "ends justify the means" nature he sometimes has, but he's too limited. Doom is mostly like the Master. Strange being the Sorcerer Supreme actually kindafits his "Protector of the Universe" role, but he's too Eath-Centric and uses legit magic. Hank Pym, maybe?

Dunno, any ideas?

It really is the Silver Surfer, despite how much anons rage against Slott's run. But he's the only one with the scope and the power set and the moral flexibility. And even discounting Slott's run, the stories to back it up. In dozens of stories spanning the universe he has been cast as an angel and a demon, a believer and a cynic, he has damned and saved numerous worlds. And no matter who he travels with he is still alone in the universe, even when accompanied by his fellow heralds he is still utterly unique.

Pretty good analysis. Surfer really is wasted potential. Hell, all of cosmic is kinda wasted ATM.

BUMP

>Lee's run
>Starlin/Marz run
>Parable
>In Thy Name
>Requiem

Check these out if you haven't already user. Frankly there's not a whole lot of Surfer material compared to other characters, you could read all of it within a week or two.

>Stark fits the "ends justify the means" nature he sometimes has, but he's too limited.

The Doctor is at his core an idealist and rarely believes in achieving his goal at any cost. He's like Superman he'll always seek out the third option.

I was mostly referring to the current Surfer. I've readmost, but I have put off V3 (the longest one-100+ issues).

Sure, but there are moments he goes overboard and does things Supes wouldn't even consider. Stark is an idealist too, he just more willing to get his hands dirty.

I don't know squirrel girl's about the same level of quality as peter capaldi so I'd nominate that turd.

It's funny because Marvel UK would reference Doctor Who all the time.

I may not like the writting of the Capaldi seasons or his views as an ultra-leftie, but the man can act. Heaven Sent was phenomenal.

Too bad heaven sent was followed and tied to the worst episode that season. Like he's a good actor but his doctor was pretty shitty.

You're welcome to your opinion, but that's too damn far.

I agree, but his Doctor has a lot ofreally solid scenes, and his monologues were always very emotional. He's a good actor, served with subpar material.

I know it's not Marvel, but Hellblazer is more or less Doctor Who with a magical setting instead of a sci-fi one.

John is way more working class than the Doctor could ever be.

And the BBC would never let the Doctor reach Constantine levels of anti-heroism.

Nah.JonCon is a mean-ass bastard who sometimes saves people. The Doctor is a well mannered quirky old man who gets in weird adventures and saves people.

Yep. Besides being British icons out-smarting monsters they have nothing in common.

>We will never see Capaldi work under someone better than Moffat.

the original series was pretty dark.

Depends on what you mean. If you want to go for the New Who space Jesus Doctor then the Silver Surfer's the only real candidate. If you're going for the Chaotic Neutral sci-fi adventurer Doctor then it's probably Hank Pym, Reed Richards could probably qualify somewhat as well.

If you want a mixture of both, then it's Howard the Duck.

Constantine's more like Torchwood Captain Jack than anything, really.

But did the Doctor ever sacrifice one of his few surviving friends?

I'm pretty sure he did, I want to say Ace?

Ace didn't die in the show, maybe in one of those spin-off materials but I don't know much about those.

Marvel apes the Dr. Who magic tour guide formula all the time. So it's not just a Silver Slott thing.

Nah couldn't have been her then, I'm pretty sure he did pretty much directly kill one of the companions in the old series.

Ok. Recs for actually good Doctor Who comics?

DW premiered on Novemeber of 1963. The F4 predate him by 2 years.

Doctor Pym from West Coast Avengers

Moon Knight as Pym's companion while the two mentally unstable wackjobs go on space advantures would be glorious.

Besides the atheist/believer dynamic? That could be something, yeah.

I wouldn't call MK a believer in Khonshu if that's what you're implying. But he still clings to his Jewish roots, and did see Jesus in a vision once.

Not in Khonshu, but overall, I would say he tends to believe, oty at least, he contemplates the possibility.

>oty
or

Something else hijacked my keyboard.

Oh yeah, I agree on that part.

Are you assuming someone at Marvel has read the Fantastic Four?

Weeping Angels of Mons. Hunters of the Burning Stone. Anything by Jonathan Morris.