Has anyone else noticed that Disney only seems to be using the classic Mickey Mouse design in all their merchandise...

Has anyone else noticed that Disney only seems to be using the classic Mickey Mouse design in all their merchandise lately? Is there an actual reason for it, or do people just like the "retro" look better?

Other urls found in this thread:

artlawjournal.com/mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Disney hasn't shown the 50s era cartoons for a long time, modern kids don't recognize it while others can go XD NOSTALGIA

Because the new shorts basically use the classic Mickey. That's pretty much it.

Because the "modern" design is reserved for the infinitely boring, babyish Clubhouse and Roadster Racers, and incredibly sexist Fashion!Shopping!Minnie junk, and and through those shows/products has become incredibly unpopular.

The "modern" Mickey used to be as popular as any other. Disney hurt itself badly by channeling it entirely into babyish crap.

Maybe people just think it looks better?

I've seen pic related more these days 2bh

What's wrong with the classic design? It is better. What exactly is your objection to using the style that made the character popular? It's the best and most important material by far.

You're insanely old if golden era Mickey can give you "nostalgia".

>incredibly sexist
>exclamation points to denote different versions of characters
>>>/tumblr/

>sexist Fashion!Shopping!Minnie
Does a female character being into shopping automatically make them sexist.

>Disney only seems to be using the classic Mickey Mouse design in all their merchandise lately?

The shorts, dumbass

It does, mickey was designed to appeal more in black and white, i aways tought that he looked creepy with skin color, shading and the stupid large eyes

Because it looks better. It also has way more personality. Mickey with the white of his eyes is just so dull and milquetoast that he has no character. He isn't funny. He doesn't have any flaws. He's heroic in the most Mary Sue way possible. He just sucks.

Classic Mickey was a mischievous prankster. You rooted for him but he got himself into trouble a lot, so you also enjoyed seeing him in a scrape.

>mickey was designed to appeal more in black and white

>he doesn't know that disney was the first to use technicolor in animation
>he doesn't appreciate the glorious colored shorts
lmaoing at your life.

I wish the shorts weren't baggy looking but I think it's a lot more appealing than flesh-colored Mickey

Doesn't really change the fact that he looks better in your webm than he does in Fantasia.

To the public, the flesh-toned Mickey invokes an image of a squeaky-clean corporate figurehead with no real personality. There seems to be a recent trend internally to get Mickey back to how Walt and Ub envisioned him as, a mischievous prankster and adventurer.

The corporate Mickey is still around in the parks and in the Roadster Racers cartoon (which replaced Mickey's Clubhouse), but when they want Mickey to be an actual character, they use the classic design.

Pac-man eyes Mickey isn't "50s era" you massive clown.

Disney wised up and realized that the old look was the better one.

The classical design somehow looks more modern than the newest design, pic related just look outdated as fuck

I'm kind of sad these are the designs used in Kingdom Hearts, I wish they'd update them or use more old school designs. Donald's gotten a redesign with that new Ducktales cartoon, now Goofy just needs one.

>Micky10

Holy shit why?

>You're insanely old if golden era Mickey can give you "nostalgia".

Or maybe they just grew up on reruns/VHS releases of those old shorts

Anything female is automatically sexist

tradmarks

Why the fuck did they choose flesh color instead of white for Mickey's face anyway? It just looks like he's missing his fur.

This. It's getting close to Steamboat Willie going to Public Domain, so Disney still needs to prove they're using it.

Nothing could be more revealing that you've never actually watched the old cartoons

I dunno, but almost all of the MIckey Mouse stuff I like features that old look where he had solid black eyes.

I'm not going to be buying any Disney merchandise but it's nice if they're aware of what their best era was.

Its getting close to their next push for copyright extension.

They got to prove they are using him if they are going to further extend their claim.

The mouse (and by extension a great many other works) should have been public domain back in 1986. Then Disney and co pushed for extension after extension.

This is all part of them warming up for the 2023 extension.

>artlawjournal.com/mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/

Honestly tempted to try and start a kick starter to fund some merc lobbyist to try and fuck that shit up. But the shine has worn off on kickstarts, and I have the charisma of a diseased gerbil.

Good luck with that

Different user, but what are you talking about. That is the exact difference that stands out to me between older Mickey Mouse cartoons and the flesh-coloured Mickey ones. Not to say that he was mischevious all the time in the old cartoons, but certainly far more often than in the newer ones.

Ya, snow balls chance in hell. I know.

Disney isn't going to try and get another extension, it was barely possible the last time.

What they might try to do is abuse and reinterpret trademark law to prevent people using some characters, but that's unlikely to worse as case precedence (via some Betty Boop merchandise based on public domain shorts) has shown Trademark law isn't copyright law.

Most likely Disney doesn't view it as a big threat anymore, what with the decades old rise of internet and even older interpretations of parody law. They are themselves giving their old shorts away for free as it's good advertising to anyone who will watch. It's not like Sony or Warner Bros are going to make a big budget Mickey Mouse movie when the ip expires, studios have gentlemen agreements and Sony/WB/etc wouldn't go for it because they would miss out on the bulk of merchandise sales as people would still go to Disney for the authentic stuff.

As most you get some cheap indian knockoff Mickey cartoon... and that already happens

If you think the color of his face had anything to do with his evolving personality you are not thinking critically.

Mickey became bland and safe because he became super famous and the mascot of a big corporation. Disney then transferred all the personality he had into Donald, and lo and behold Donald then became more popular than Mickey. Then by the late fifties Donald became so popular Disney actually were going to make him #1 (and very briefly did rebrand the Mickey Mouse show to the Donald Duck show) and correspondingly the toned down Donald's personality in the 50s just like Mickey and Donald became a family man. (Conversely, while not regaining his entire attitude back, becoming less popular than Donald let Mickey regain some "personality" in his later shorts)

Of course by then cinema shorts were on the way out so it didn't last long anyhow.

That's why Timeless River was the best world in KH2.

>unironically thinking mickey will ever be allowed to public domain

They don't really use old Donald or Goofy anymore either. If anyone here hasn't seen the 20s-50s shorts, you really goddamn should.

It's a GIS filename. What's the problem?