What is Khan okay but characters like Apu or Speedy Gonzales considered racist?

What is Khan okay but characters like Apu or Speedy Gonzales considered racist?

But Khan is a fully drawn out being who is fully realized.
Apu and speedy are one off jokes 90% of the time.

>Speedy Gonzales
>racist
All the people that were offended by the character were white assholes that got him banned from TV and Hispanics had to fight to get him back on the air again.

Nobody has heard of laos

Apu and Speedy are one note joke characters

Am I having a fucking stroke, what the fuck are you writing?

The only racist thing about Apu I can think of is when he and Homer have to travel to the Himalayas and climb a mountain to meet the convenience store guru.

Which was actually pretty funny.

Apu
>oh haha he's the stereotypical Indian convenience store clerk
Speedy
>oh haha he's the stereotypical nomadic Mexican
Khan
>oh haha he's the stereotypical... successful/jerkass next door Laotian?

See it doesn't work. Come to think of it, are there ANY stereotypes of Laotians?

To be fair...

>oh haha he's the stereotypical uptight FOB Asian who's all work and no play.

Khan has a lot of Asian stereotypical traits, so I would guess those. He's had several episodes where they refer to him as Asian too, including his own Laotian people, so I don't think they consider themselves different from Asians.

Khan has character depth thats demonstrated in various episodes and while Apu has some similar depth too it's mostly less offensive stereotypes spun in a funny way. Speedy Gonzales is just a racist caricature but for some reasons mexicans actually like him.

How.... How do you not understand either of those posts?

Are you having a stroke?

>Speedy Gonzales is just a racist caricature but for some reasons mexicans actually like him.
It might come as a shock but not everyone finds caricatures of their race offensive. Some people are just able to take a joke.

Khan's ethnicity is an important part of his character without being the most important part. He's a realistic character in a series focused on character development.

Not finding things offensive? You HERETIC! How can you not spend your whole day being rump-rustled by trivialities? For fuck's sake it's 2015!

Kahn more often calls the main cast stupid redneck hillbillies or some shit than gets any racist flak his way.

Apu and Speedy on the other hand don't have an anti-white agenda, so those stereotypes are bad.

In America, or other foreign western country, they would refer to themselves as Asians. But amongst other Asians, it's individual countries or regional ethnic groups with no love lost. Like white people and Europeans.

This
Hispanics got pretty mad when Speedy Gonzales was taken off the air for being 'racist'

Hispanic here. No we weren't

It must be like taking father ted off the air in ireland.

Fine then.
>Mexicans that actually live in Mexico got pretty mad when Speedy Gonzales was taken off the air for being 'racist'

Mexican American here
As a kid, I thought speedy was cool
Has never struck me as racist

Speedy Gonzales talked like an offensive stereotype for alot of his appearances but the thing is--apart from the pretty bad first appearance-- he has 97% of the time been depicted as a champion of the (literally) little guy. All of his cartoons are about him using his goddang speed force to feed other mice who were starving or being murdered by the score by Sylvester or even breaking them out of lab experiments, etc. etc. Or Daffy Duck was being a giant dick and Speedy stood up to him.

To the people who protested the removal of his cartoons, he was likely seen as heroic; almost none of the LTs are actual *heroes* and Speedy was basically a mouse version of the Flash.

Apu fed into some stereotypes about Indians in the work force but he is arguably offensive more so not because he's a hard working sort, but in how it was done. In early Simpsons they not only play up his cultural obliviousness as a joke, they make him basically apathetic to anyone else's plight in the name of store policy. The rules say it's okay for some tainted food so he saw nothing wrong in poisoning Homer, he was a fucking shitlord when Marge accidentally forgot about that scotch in her pocket and sent her to prison. People *might* take offense that the perhaps *sole* TV depiction of a race/culture for decades was reduced to a lawful evil-ish guy generally being happily banal in a demeaning position of servitude to white people.

Khan talks like an offensive stereotype, similar to Speedy but KotH will still treat him like an actual human being when the spotlight's on, and the show sheds light on the fallacies of everybody left and right. Rednecks are not some pure and noble group apart; the entire point of the show was to depict a man who tries to be a good person constantly facing the shallow ineptitudes of modern society, but still giving room for empathy when called for.

Laotions are literally whos when it comes to American oppression olympics.

Mexicans especially. They're proud enough of their culture that even when it's reduced to stereotypes they're just glad to see it represented

How is Speedy Gonzales a caricature? He is a mouse with a sombrero?

>Speedy Gonzales
he's a National symbol, lots of mexicans like that mouse fighting the retarded cat

you know, speedy makes sense
he is a mouse who gets away from a cat by being too fast to catch
plus he is mexican to give him something to do as he is always helping his slow/lazy/drunk friends

Khan is a fully realized characters, and all jokes that include his race laugh AT the racism he encounters, not WITH the racists.
Apu and Speedy Gonzales are basically stereotypes with some extra characterization.

Basically, it boils down to - Khan is treated as a regular human being, others are treated as cliches. It's bad writing.

He's not a PERFECT character, he's celebrated because he's a DECENT character. He's better than other characters, but in this case this just means competition was really fucking weak.

What Simpsons character DOESN'T do disservice to their race?

Other than Lenny.

Honestly, that's already this. He's not just "Asian", he actually has a real COUNTRY and a real CULTURE he comes. This already breaks "azn" stereotype where everyone is chinese until proven otherwise.
Sure, it's not much effort, but it's effort.

God, do I hate it when people act offended on "behalf" of other races or group of people who aren't offended one bit.

Khan is a character with fully realized motivations and feelings.

Speedy and Apu are gag characters with one-dimensional traits.

Is english not your first language?

Yeah but the whole point of King of the Hill was stereotypes. That's why John Redcorn existed too.

I want to fuck a yellow girl pretending to be a white girl.

No, John Redcorn exists to make infidelity funny.

Also there are all those episodes where him being Laotian comes into play

>"KHAN ARE YOU READY TO JOIN THE RESISTANCE AGAINST THE COMMUNIST GOVERNMENT AND DIE FOR LAOS?"

Carl is well adjusted and a MPhys

But John Redcorn only acted stereotypical when he had an ulterior motive, like bitching about his land being taken by the white man was because he was actually butthurt all his kids were raised by men who weren't him so they would never know him as a father.

Name another episode where him specifically being Laotian was relevant to the plot.

Apu pretty much defined the indian american stereotype. People get angry when we don't speak in a "Hello, mr Homer" voice.

This, plus his stereotypical behavior was fleshed out within the show. For example, he was a standard overbearing Asian dad who expected Connie to get straight As and get rich and all that, but his reason for doing so is because of his own deep-seated insecurities about his own position in society and how he compares to other Laotians in the community.

I think that being a stereotype doesn't automatically make a character bad. Mexican-American kids loved Speedy because he was always the hero and was never a NEGATIVE stereotype.

Even Slowpoke Rodriguez who WAS the negative stereotype of the "lazy Mexican" turned out to be semi-competent and saved himself.

Well he was genuinely butthurt by both and does actually believe in some of what he preaches. He also seems slightly offended when the gamg turns Wematanye into a catchphrase for their snipe hunt.

I think there's one where Cotton buddies up with him because he's Laotian and not a filthy vietnamese and no one else seems to understand the difference

>and the show sheds light on the fallacies of everybody left and right. Rednecks are not some pure and noble group apart;
Isn't everyone in the Simpsons kind of shitty, too?

then you're in luck because that's all of them

Ok, but is he Chinese or Japanese?

>tfw both of these are very clear
>tfw user is actually having a stroke

>no play.
He golfs, plays the keyboard, learned martial arts from old shitty movies, and even had that phase where he'd go catfisting and drinking white white trash.

How about you suck my dick?

Honestly Speedy Gonzales episodes always sucked since they were unfunny.

I think you are user, that was a perfectly comprehensive post

Khan is the embodiment of "It is not enough that I should succeed, but that others should fail."

...man, are our noses really that big?

Well it's not often you see your culture bastardized first hand.

>People get angry when we don't speak in a "Hello, mr Homer" voice.
Bullshit, that voice is the biggest complaint anyone will have with regards to customer service.

No, "Bob", I do not want to upgrade my insureance. Put me on the line with someone who I can fucking understand.

When Cotton first met him he could tell he was Laotian, and then assumed he was Hank's servant because he was Asian.

Hispanic here. Yes we were.

>This already breaks "azn" stereotype where everyone is chinese until proven otherwise.

I love how Cotton, of all people, is the one to destroy this specific stereotype. "Nope, he's Laotian!"

>all work and no play
dude is manic depressive and harbors a huge inferiority complex

that flabbergasted look he gives when cotton totally nails his ethnicity in two seconds

In all fairness Speedy's a superhero who outwits rich gato landowners to give food and hope to the oppressed commoners.

kind of a theme with mexican folk heroes.

Because Laotians really are assholes

Whenever Khan, Minh, or Connie speak Laotian they're just saying jibberish akin to chingchongbingbong, and that's about the only racist thing you can say about Khan or any Laotian member of the cast.

Apu was a valued friend of the Simpsons family when he wasn't being written like a sleezy jew. He meets some Indian stereotypes but he's pretty fleshed out for a Simpsons side character.

That made me laugh my ass off

Call 911

>you dont get it I'm Asian, more is expected of me. You don't get it you're someone's worker bee. If o accept your redneck life style it like I'm burying apart of myself
What did this mean?

>"Nope, he's Laotian!"
Aint'cha Mr. Khan.

Just the way he said it, still gives me a chuckle.

Cotton was a gift that will remain too good for us.

I hope user, called 911 and is ok

What are their thoughts on the Frito Bandito?

>but for some reasons mexicans actually like him.

same reason why americans like the portrayal of them as wolves in that north korean cartoon

"bad-ass!"

khan's reaction was great. he didn't know what to do with it. one of koth's best jokes.

>the episode about Khan's country club being too asian

this

Speedy Gonzalez was a cartoon classic in all south america.

the one laotian person i met irl was really like khan

I am asian and I actually like those characters that you called "racist"

>Name another episode where him specifically being Laotian was relevant to the plot.
the hotdog contest.

If you tried to make a character like speedy gonzales for America today you would get this.

A fat man with a buckles on his hat belt and shoes
The running gag would be buckles on everything
To open the door to his house he probably needs to open a buckle

Hes got a blunderbuss and is always eating turkey

Most of his cartoons are about how he always thinks hes the best and it gets him in to high jinx

Usually a native American saves him

replace buckles with pouches