Is this the most underappreciated masterwork out there?

Is this the most underappreciated masterwork out there?

I see people debate and shit post about numerous other works but no mention of Usagi Yojimbo

Why does it get so little attention?

Other urls found in this thread:

toonova.net/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2012-season-5-episode-7
giphy.com/tmnt
youtube.com/watch?v=TxvOMHoLRBY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it's good, and that pretty much ends discussion. It's the same thing with Hellboy.

I don't get why there are constant threads about shit titles.

maybe
Stan Sakai really should be considered one of the greatest

Welcome to the bitch engine.

hell when was the last time we had a Bone

>It's the same thing with Hellboy.

Not really. Hellboy is much more well known and pushed in shops and media.

Usagi Yojimbo is criminally underrated and even ignored.

>hell when was the last time we had a Bone

Also not talked about as much but people have heard of Bone or seen it in stores. I've seen Bone at fucking Barnes and Noble.

I think part of the problem is that other books are easier to break into small segments and discuss. Cape books are really easy for this. Long running epics are much harder to break down to digestible bits.

Take this furfag weeaboo shit back to >>Sup Forums.
Sup Forums (and most of Sup Forums) consists mostly of shit posting, bait posting and anons who fall for it. Series that are almost universally considered good aren't usually brought up, because there is very little shitpost potential for them. Not to mention that they've been discussed to death already.

>I see you are a man of taste and culture as well.jpeg

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

It can be hard to articulate why something is good, especially if it is very good, as the craft vanishes behind the effect it creates.

I need to grab the new collection, it has Space Usagi and all the other random bits outside the main series.

I like it when it plays out a vagabond hero story but twists it, like when Usagi saves a town from being run off so the corrupt magistrate could mine the gold in their hills but the villagers (nor Usagi) never actually learn what was going on so they don't even realize what he did and so fail to appreciate him for it. Indeed they blame him for bringing violence to their town when the magistrate sends assassins after him.

The village cutie's expected attraction to Usagi is shallow and born from boredom and the one young man brave enough to stand up and fight does it against USAGI in competition for that girl. Usagi also just threatens to kill him because he's fed up with all this shit instead of mentoring him or gently beating him to teach him what little skill he really has.

Another time he brought a doll instead of the baby a villain demanded to trick him. This backfired terribly when the baby's mother, who didn't know Usagi's plan, threw herself in front of the doll to protect it from attack and was killed.

Space Usagi is decent but that pales when so much of the main series is excellent. I do appreciate how space Usagi and space Gen, etc. have genuinely different circumstances even if their personalities are almost the same. It stops it from being, well, just Usagi Yojimbo in space.

Anyone see the Nick TMNT episode about him recently? It's so fucking good.

No, do you have a source or remember what episode it was?

>I like it when it plays out a vagabond hero story but twists it, like when Usagi saves a town from being run off so the corrupt magistrate could mine the gold in their hills but the villagers (nor Usagi) never actually learn what was going on so they don't even realize what he did and so fail to appreciate him for it. Indeed they blame him for bringing violence to their town when the magistrate sends assassins after him.The village cutie's expected attraction to Usagi is shallow and born from boredom and the one young man brave enough to stand up and fight does it against USAGI in competition for that girl. Usagi also just threatens to kill him because he's fed up with all this shit instead of mentoring him or gently beating him to teach him what little skill he really has.

I think both of those are in Vol. 2/3

It was weird. I felt like I was watching an anime.
>that Akira slide on the horse

toonova.net/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2012-season-5-episode-7

What's the new collection called?

I'd argue that Cerebus is probably more underappreciated due to people's dislike of Dave Sim, but in the modern era I'd say the Usagi is the most snubbed. It's terrible to see the consistently bad sales that are even lower than Hellboy and most of the Mignolaverse off shoots.The one nice thing about it is that it is an incredibly loyal reader base. The sales barely fluctuate, so while it's not really gaining readers it sure as fuck isn't losing them.

Usagi Legends I think,

>consistently bad sales
wut

I've only discovered Usagi in the last 2 years (30 now, started reading comics around 13). It's ignored more than Cerebus.

For example, issue #153 (the last issue that I can locate in Comichron) only sold 4,269 copies.

Usagi Yojimbo gets the boost from TMNT fans. Cerebus has to rely solely upon word of mouth from Cerebus fans.

At least on Sup Forums, I would say that Usagi Yojimbo has a bigger fanbase and Cerebus is more underappreciated.

I think people feel smarter when they're hating something.

It helps that bone has an omnibus and so can easily be treated as a single work.

Did anybody pick up the new TMNT/Usagi Crossover?

Stuff Sup Forums universally believes good don't get threads that last long. Example: Venture Bros.

I truly don't believe that Sup Forums has a universal opinion on Usagi Yojimbo. I'm pretty sure most people here don't really read many comics.

Has anyone ever seen anyone post Groo the Wanderer here?

Yes. Thanks for asking.

Groo gets mentioned on occasion.

How often? That was going to be one I posted for possibly less appreciated comic.

Less often than Usagi and less often than Cerebus. But I also don't think that it's as good as them.

I've never read any of the modern Dark Horse stuff, I have a few of the old Epic issues. The humor holds up well

Shit things have more varied opinions which generates lengthy discussions, things that are universally liked cant last that long cause most of people are gonna agree in most points.

I can see that. It's not focused on drama almost at all. I'm less familiar with Usagi Yojimbo though.

But people can talk extensively about great works. Look at any type of literary analysis. Why are fandoms that are traditionally considered nerdy so focused on negativity.

Maybe it's the music critic effect?

>Look at any type of literary analysis.
Sincerity is mocked on Sup Forums. Any sincere literary analysis of a comic which lasts more than a couple paragraphs is likely to be lambasted as tryhard, pretentious and tl;dr.

It's western comic kino along with Hellboy and Bone.

I think it's the environment. When's the last time you went to a Sup Forums thread and expected 100% constructive discussion and fascination? Trying to have serious discourse here is like conducting a business meeting at an Arby's.

I know that in my heart. But it always feels bad to admit. I think it's an internet issue in general, I remember cynicism being the norm even back in old IRC chats.

Because fandom is awful

A while ago someone storytimed the whole thing, which took weeks and had interesting things to say about the series and 17th Century Japan, etc.

It must have taken a lot of effort.

I find that Usagi is more satisfying to read in trades so I'm not entirely surprised that single issue sales aren't great.

Though I say that, and then I recall seeing old letters to the editors from the 70s and the shit is the same then too. Maybe it's just that many people don't like comics anymore, but they are unwilling to find other hobbies. So they continue doing it, and they grow bitter about their lives and their perceived lack of joy.

I know on Sup Forums I frequently see people straight up talking about how they don't enjoy video games anymore but that's all they know and so they continue playing. Maybe that's just fanbases in general.

I will always remember the BType storytime. It hooked me on UY hard

postan reaction images

>Why does it get so little attention?

This is 4-chan. We don't want to drag that in here, we'd just get it dirty.

Usagi Yojimbo Vol. 31 Hell Screen
1,137 sales

What's a good Usagi compilation book I can easily pick up and read?

Is that just diamond numbers?

Yes. The numbers might be better outside the direct market.

The series has some significant continuity, so the first volume is the best place to start. They may be out of print right now, due to low popularity, but old copies are available on Amazon

>I've seen Bone at fucking Barnes and Noble.

I worked at a Borders for a while and one of the things we would do is have a wall showing employee favorites. Bone was always my top pic

I really wish I knew other sales. Not just for this book. I know I buy almost everything on Amazon now.

The Fantagraphics stuff is out of print (I am incredibly lucky to have snagged a copy on ebay a year or two ago) but the Dark Horse era collections are easy to get.

I don't know how big of a problem it would be to just jump in. There's continuity but individual pieces of it expire after a while. The story of the blind pig is concluded, for instance.

You can start at the Dark Horse stuff just fine. That's what I did. Acquired a Fantagraphics edition later.

Grasscutter is what got me into Usagi so that's usually what I like to recommend to people. But really you can pick up any Usagi trade and it will be pretty good, there's never a barrier to understanding the current story.

I'm just worried if I pick up a random volume it ends at a to be continued cliffhanger.

>Why does it get so little attention?

Because it NEVER got a cartoon. Do you really think that comics are an accessible mainstream medium? Get real. TMNT to this day would be obscure if it didn't have a cartoon. Other mediums lead to exposure and from what I hear the creator of Usagi despises the Animation Is For Stupid Kids Just Like YOU mentality of the industry so he doesn't try to do a full blown cartoon about his creation and satisfies himself with a few episodes in each TMNT cartoon.

But a full blown cartoon? No way. He knows he will be censored because Usagi KILLS a chunk of antagonists.

I have most of the Dark Horse Volumes. They don't really do that.

>Do you really think that comics are an accessible mainstream medium? Get real.
>this angry over a point no one made
WTF?

Why are you lying? It was a Shitty Babysit This Unlikable Spoiled Rotten Cunt Of A Brat Starring Usagi.

The cliche of looking after and protecting shitty unlikable kids has never and will never be good. It just makes cool characters like Usagi look lame. Like doormats to brats.

The first three books are mostly standalone issue length stories; the fourth one is the first volume length story.

Daisho is easily one of the best standalone books with a volume length story and gives you a great insight into who Usagi is as a person.

The twelfth book Grasscutter is probably still the single best volume, especially if you count Mother of Mountains and Tomoe's Story as being one story, but works better if you've read some of th previous books since they introduce a lot of the really important characters and plotlines.

So I'd suggest either The Dragon's Bellow Conspiracy or Daisho but that's me.

It gets too much attention.
Its just a fucking rip off. All he did was steal a character and story and turn them into anthro animals.
You people are fucking scum.

>every time the word "mendicant" popped up
Also Sanshobo was my nigga

do i have to be a furfag to like this crap? I tried reading it, was an extremely boring experience.

Just read / watch the stuff it rips off.

Four reasons:
-it's an anthro comic
-it's a comic about historical Japan
-it isn't published by DC or Marvel
-no titty monsters in skin tight costumes

I get a little grumpy when someone says it's historically accurate because Sakai clearly made a deliberate decision to excise firearms despite them having been used in Japan for decades by that point and not to mention that gunpowder weapons existed for centuries in East Asia before then, just not the good one-man guns the Japanese got from the Portuguese.

So my autism gland goes in a twist when Usagi and company talk about "the foreign black powder that explodes".

No, it pretty much gets universal praise here on Sup Forums.

There were Groo vs the Gods storytimes here.

>Is this the most underappreciated masterwork out there?
maybe dredd and 2000ad in general?

It was fucking awful, what are you talking about?

The flying batninjas, demons, and dinosaurs are another indication.

Speaking of batninjas, I'm surprised by how quickly Sakai killed the last waifu. Characters tended to last a bit more in the early issues. I wonder if it's due to his personal life.

Blame the Ninja turtles crossover.

My bet for underapreciated is Chakyn's American Flagg.

Stan sakai is asian, which means he doesn't get actively bitched at by SJWs as much, which means less controversy.

He's a nice dude, which means he doesn't get into twitter fights with people.

A few years ago.

Is Cerebus still the longest running creator owned work? Or did Gold Digger pass it? And Usagi Yojimbo is third, or is it Savage Dragon? What's in fifth place?

Any reason to not start with volume 1 and just keep going if I want to get into Usagi?

We could always argue about who the best girl is.
But that would be pointless, since everyone knows it's Tomoe.

None. Just start with Vol 1 and keep going.
But if you don't have the time, Book 9 (Daisho) pretty much embodies what Usagi is. Though it's a bit different, as it has one longer story.

Not planning on starting for a bit. I've got a huge backlog and list already, Got volumes 3 and 4 of The Complete Dredd Case Files in the mail right now but thanks, that's good to know.

checked

>Got volumes 3 and 4 of The Complete Dredd Case Files in the mail right now
GAZE INTO THE DIGITS OF DREDD

bump

You seem to have a small issue with Usagi Yojimbo. That's fine, though: you got a list of everything UY rips off specifically? I'd love to do a stare-and-compare

Gold digger is technically over 300, but not in a single run. It's like ~10, ~50 and then the current ~250.
Cerebus is 300, even though it's really 298 because of the two double issues. Spawn is ~270, Savage Dragon is ~220, Usagi is in the ~210 range if you just count the main ongoings.

new gifs have appeared for the 3rd Usagi episode

giphy.com/tmnt

At least bump with image.

Well I think the thing is that it has selective accuracy. If Sakai wants an aspect of the story to be accurate he does a ton of research on it, if he doesn't then it's not. Any time the story focuses on a specific traditional art form, craft, or tradition it's usually spot on. Like the Tea Ceremony issue.

No shit and no hyperbole:

Sakai is probably the best storyteller in comics I've ever read. Some stuff he does in Yojimbo both from the art and writing standpoints are just too good.

Wish it was licensed in my country.

Not him, but for sure watch Yojimbo and pretty much every other classic Samurai film. Then for good measure watch all of this channel's videos youtube.com/watch?v=TxvOMHoLRBY