They don't even feel like the same characters anymore

They don't even feel like the same characters anymore...

they arent
you can see petridot get flanderized from one episode to the next, its quite amazing

Wow....it's almost like they are....developing

you know, developing is when someone learns and becomes better.
Please count how many times pearl put steven in danger over being bitter at his mom in season one

Because they're not. Compare Steven from" Steven and the Stevens" to the bitchboy you have now.

You can develop and become worse.

thhats not developing
thats the opposite

Nah, it's mostly just Garnet, who they insist on making feel more like a simple fusion and not the cool mysterious character she used to be. It also made her funny moments ten times more amusing because they came completely out of left field.

Oh no! Did they actually have growth and expand upon who they originally were? Are you the same person you once were all those years ago? If so, I feel sorry for you. Your life has no meaning.

I like how steven isn't a bitch and can do shit with his powers

I dislike how they don't give him a chance to do anything but talk

thank god, steven was annoying as fuck

Uh, yes that is exactly developing. You can develop into a piece of shit. You can develop into a crooked politician. You can develope into a blood thirsty psycopath. You don't just magicaly turn into something good or bad. You develope into it through life experiences. As a child, if you are yelled at and hit repeadedly, you may develop a shy, bashful personality. If you are given support and love, you may develop into a kind hearted, confident individual. You CAN develop into something worse. PTSD friendo.

Except this isn't Breaking Bad, this is a show about love and family where pacifism takes priority as theme.

They still feel the same to me. They're still shitty characters.

Well to be fair that was season 1. Pearl has become way better at asserting herself(Back to the Barn, That Will Be All,) and seems to be starting to get over Rose(yes Mystery Girl is big and has pink hair. Pearl has a type, get over it. I mean the way Sardonyxgate was resolved was a bit cheap, but it seems some good has come from it.

Yeah like, fusion is a big part of her identity for sure, but that's like only using your *insert minority here* character to talk about *insert minority here* issues, and nothing else.

That's the problem with any fiction that uses mystery as its appeal. Once you explain it the appeal goes away. SU was conceptually doomed from the start. A good example of this happening is the alien franchise. The only series I ever saw keep the mystery the more they revealed was Twin Peaks.

he's still annoying as fuck, I preferred him when he was an autistic naive curious boy instead of the second incarnation of an even more autistic Jesus we have now.

I mean its third season, giving us laura's killer almost ruined the show but lynched saved it and now we have an origin for the supernatural but it's still mysterious.

The worst part is that they think townie episodes keep the mysterious appeal but it's just blueballing us. Go back to ancient ruins pls.

Pearl raped Garnet. What wholesome character development for a kids cartoon!

the term you are looking for is regressing

That's what I'ms saying, the conclusion wasn't satisfying, but the aftermath seem to be(also the way they framed it it seemed more like a drug addiction to me, although I can obviously see where you guys come from.)

No, regression is returning to a state of being one was already at.

>heroin addict gets clean
>heroin addict is no longer addict
>not addict has good job good life
>falls of wagon back into old habbits
>heroin addict loses good life

That is regression

>young boy has never done drugs
>young boy trys heroin
>young boy DEVELOPES heroin addiction
>young boy is now heroin addict

>Steven was a cheerful and friendly yet naive main character and a surprisingly real depiction of a kid his age, asking questions and being bored and annoying but always trying to do the right thing
>now he's a crybaby Jesus who is always right, always the voice of reason, always preaching the morals, and always having the story coddle to his beliefs instead of challenging it (outside of Bismuth)
>Garnet used to be the wise and responsible mama bear and team leader, the coolest character in the show by a mile and still remarkably funny for a silent badass character
>now she's Fusion: The Character because it's always about Ruby & Sapphire anytime the spotlight is on her. >Amethyst was the gross and irresponsible but chill older sister with charisma who could connect with Stephen better than the others
>now she's a self-hating slob who had three arcs about how worthless she is and all amounted to squat
>Pearl was the protective yet loving mother who wanted to take care of Steven instead of Rose, learning to cope with loss but still a funny character because of how stuffy she could be
>now she's just a walking river of tears whose MUH ROSE complex is so strong that she had dozens of episodes about it and is attracted to a woman just because she barely resembles Rose.
>the show sold itself on potential story lore and character development
>and what it did was stuff a dozen of preachy Townie fillers, repeat their character arcs over and over again, flanderize their characters, shoehorn other characters and place them on pedestals, and have crying scenes in literally almost every episode
Don't even get me started on Connie and Peridot

Do you seriously think this is character development ?
Do you know what that term even is ?
I don't think you do.

>Peedee is the most relatable character on the show
>he barely appears anymore and we get more Ronaldo episodes

Chill. If you don't like it don't watch the show.

Fuck off. As much as a fag as he is for looking that into a terrible show about lesbian golems, he's making good points in a cartoon discussion board. If you don't like his comment without having an actual counter-argument, then don't reply.

This will never not be true.
I don't understand why they keep focusing on the worst Townies instead of people who could actually complement Steven's character like Peedee.

Look at the bitchy passive agressiveness from the average SUfag

Regression is a completely different thing. When you're regressing, your psyche becomes less complex and you become more childlike. I.e. regression is when an adult under extreme stress starts crying, throws temper tantrums or calls for his mother.

FUCK OFF PEEDEE POSTER
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE

Chill. If you don't like his opinion don't comment.

Peridot isn't. If anything she's slowly regressing, both body and personality wise

>rewatching season 1
>remember when this show used to have fight scenes
What happened? Why'd they stop?

I used to like the show, and that's why the direction it took pisses me off.

If you don't like to hear what I'm saying then don't bother replying. Especially if you are just going to use a basic non-argument like that.

Getting angry over fictional characters. Some one is from Tumblr. The reason I don't make a counter argument is cuz I really don't care that much to discuss it with you. I've said my piece. Leaving

one thing I really hate about where they went in particular is how much of a whiny bitch Steven sounds like as of now

>WAS

Well she literally was put through the legitimate steps of a brainwashing by the CGs, so that makes sense. It's almost artistic in a way that the shitty inconsistent design reflects how unstable and mentally inconsistent she has become as a result of getting broken down. The funniest part is that we are supposed to applaud the heroes for what they did too, like it wasn't a war crime in every sense of the term.

He was way whiner in the beginning. Don't see how he's whiny now.

Blow your brains out my guy, you're pathetic

>still using that inaccurate picture

I was talking in terms of his voice, though. He just sounded like a really haughty kid early on, he's pretty much just a girl now

is that away, stay in your containment board

Still whinier though.

Getting angry over someone's opinion on fictional characters. Someone is from Tumblr. The reason I don't make a counter argument is cuz I really don't care that much to discuss it with you. I've said my piece.

Wow, thanks user, I'll just insert what I need into that statement whenever I want to leave a thread butt hurt.

I'll give you that one.

Yeah.
Badly.

I mean I think Pearl got better and Amethyst is fine, but Steven and Garnet feel like shitty versions of their former selves.

Good summary. Saved me the time pf typing it out myself.

>Stevee never

I disagree with the Amethyst arguments. She got over most of her insecurities around the Smoky Quartz to meeting the Famethyst, finally cementing it in Tiger Philanthropist.

this is an actual decent thread, though
the trash thread is literally saddening to read because it's a huge circlejerk of lonely people who don't get out at all

>come into a discussion thread
>stir shit up and discuss nothing
>leave

This whole thread is bait.

That episode's a terrible example. Even the creators have said that they needed to kill that Steven at the end because the show wouldn't function if he realized how annoying he was and started acting like that all the time.

> Steven is not fat anymore
Fat erasure, anyone?

I think the biggest problem is that the Crystal Gems aren't much of a group anymore. Early in the show, they were always together fighting monsters of the week. Nowadays, we only get all four of them working together a few times each season.

beat me too it.

woah, is almost like fans of the show can see the bad direction the show is taking.

There was...Rose's Scabbard

Lel you're retarded.
Now has it right.

Why in the hell did she turn into a completely different character, a literal retard, in Same Old World?

I really wish they'd give Peridot her shit back. That character design was so much cooler.

I don't know man, I prefer sad Steven than retarded happy Steven

When has that happened in last 2 seasons?

It's an unpopular opinion but they either need to put more filler in between the hysterical sobbing fits or have the characters get desensitized to this shit. We're getting more and more "heavy" episodes back to back to back and the nonstop sobbing and sulking is feeling less and less earned.

Problem is they can't make decent SoL anymore. "Filler" used to be good.

How did Garnet get elephantitis?

its not really an issue of their personalities, its more that they've just been sidelined quite a bit lately so we can listen to more Steven talking to himself

Remember when she still had a figure..

>I miss that.

Is there actually a valid excuse for this that I missed?

>an even more autistic Jesus
What did he mean by this?

Why is it so hard for these people to stay on model?

Because not every frame has to be a masterpiece

Any proof?

they turned such a precious waifu into a small fucking gremlin abomination

The second and third versions should've stayed canon.

>The best short stacks.

I would say character development, but that would be giving the show too much credit.

All they really did is reveal she's a fusion and how Ruby and Sapphire met, there's still a great deal left about her to find out. Even then, a character can still act mysterious.
But now she literally just acts and feels like Ruby and Sapphire combined, not her own character. I miss the super awesome, cool leader Garnet.

I dunno if I would say that Garnet was wise.

>>Pearl was the protective yet loving mother who wanted to take care of Steven instead of Rose

Pearl almost got Steven killed and didn't really care about it in one of the earliest episodes where she was crying over Rose.

I refuse to believe anyone is posting this image unironically.

You'd be correct in not believing that.

t. Jasper

I'd say Pearl and Amethyst are more or less the same.

Except Pearls actually been a lot less neurotic the past 2 seasons and Amethyst stopped feeling sad about herself