Why are there so many Gay/LGBTQIAAQZX+ comic book characters and creators now?

I mean, it's ridiculous. Off the top of my head I can name several that have solo books or are on major teams. Ms. America, Wiccan, Hulking, Quasar, Moondragon, Pod, Yinsin's daughter, Karma, Bling!, Iceman, The Ray, Midnighter, Mystique, Psylocke, Northstar, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Wonder Woman, Jericho, Angela, etc.

This is FAR over representing people who are like, 5% of the population. Most of these characters were either created in the past 2 decades or retconned into a gay in the past 2 decades. A lot of comic creators/journalists are gay to. Why? I worked at a comic store for about a year and I only saw 1 gay couple come into the store and it wasn't even to buy comic books. Why are the publishers pushing this shit on us? They ruined my 2nd favorite X-Man.

ura faget ha ha ha

Its not about the LGBT groups, its marketing towards the people who advocate for them.

Because it's trendy

But why? And why this industry?

>now
Most of the characters you listed are not recent creations and have been gay for a long time if not always.

What do you mean this industry? Its in all fucking media user

Becuase they're bleeding money and are desperate enough to try buckling

In the past few decades? Name them. I think only Northstar and Moondragon were gay before the past 2 decades.

>why this industry?

industry of fit men in spandex undies? gay?

That's...that's...actually a pretty good point.

Cultural Marxism

Comic books and cartoons are seen as things that boys or men do, so the globalist menace are trying to force their LGB+ agenda on it

How there are hundreds of superheroes. Iceman's retcon was awful but there's not many and most of them get put in limbo fast because it wasn't much more than a stunt.

get a room you two

People laugh when the "gay agenda" is brought up, but you're experiencing it right now.

It's a cynical grab for money. People, especially millennials, desperately want to show how tolerant they are and lap it up. That's why LGBT characters fall into the trap of "my whole personality is being LGBT.

Also LGBT is "in" and trendy.

How can mystique not be gay?they're one of the few characters where it's appropriate to use that kinda transitional grammar

Because, at least America, is much more tolerant in being open about it, and the creators who can now be more open about it want people who feel like they can't be open about it to feel more like they can be.You say it's over representing a small percentage, but what about the small percentage of any population that actually reads comics and what not.
You ask why but why not?
And also, who cares?

Comics have always been at the forefront of socio-political movements in the entertainment industry.

I don't get why you 16 year old Sup Forumsshits are acting like it's ever been any different.

Also there's the fact that comics have almost always been a niche interest for outsiders, thus naturally attracting a lot of homos. You're really barking up the wrong tree here, if you want to whine about the SJW boogeyman you should've gone to Sup Forums, not Sup Forums.

Out of all the characters you listed only about five of them could be considered major characters and three of them A-listers. Outside of the press it might get you, it's an easy way to make it look like your secondary characters have personal traits.

Iceman was never good

user, you're acting like Sup Forumstards actually care about comics & aren't just looking for something to complain about.

You say that, but I have never met a LGBTIAAIHF ASJFJFAL person that actively reads comics.

If you suddenly hate a character because they're gay you need to check yourself.

I have about 5-6 full longboxes and a shit-ton of trades/omnibi to prove you wrong

>comics have almost always been a niche interest for outsiders

Comics have almost always been massively mainstream.

I don't all of a sudden hate a character, I hate how the company ruined decades of character development and story.

What shame as an Iceman fan

I feel so degraded

And I've yet to meet a person who still reads comics where I live. That doesn't mean much, user.

are you retard or just 14?

The problem is not gay characters, the problem is shitty writers and artists, and horrible editorial.

good thing iceman never had any of that

This is what I never get. People always blame the characters instead of bad writing.

>5%
literally 1 in 10, but really, why do you care?

Are you so scared of LGBT or minorities that you can't enjoy characters/stories featuring those characters?

inb4 >tumblr, the coin goes both ways,
and it's mindboggling that gay dudes/women can't enjoy stories with white/straight/male characters.

You do realize that there are thousands upon thousands of characters. There are more women on the planet and yet more of the actual superheroes are going to be male. White men are not the majority pretty much on any continent on the planet and yet white males represent more than 90+% of the superheros.

'like, 5%' isn't an actual scientific term or accurate, but let's accept it. If we go real EXTREME in conservative and say that there are only 1000 superheros (and the number at either Marvel or DC alone is probably greater) characters, 5% of that would be 50.

When you can name 60 people, you can start talking about 'far over-representing' - also

'past few decades' isn't exactly 'now' (which is equivalent to "recent" as that other user pointed out) or an example of 'pushing' - one year/two years is a push. Marvel wasn't advertising and promoting Secret Empire two decades ago, much less a decade ago.

Citation needed on your statistic mate, 'cause the number I'm looking at says 4.1%

So are we going to turn this homophobe hater Sup Forums thread into another on-board-topic discussion of LGBT comic characters ...
just like the other one of these threads OP has already put up tonight?
Or are we going to designate this one as yet another Sup Forums containment thread?
And how many more of those can Sup Forums have up without just calling itself /pol2/ ?

FYI: Calls for the censoring of any particular minority group's existence is a Sup Forums topic.

You realize this board has a fairly high and active gay and bi population lurking and posting on it? You can search the archive and can find a good several hundred different IP addresses saying/admitting as much. While some of these are people who are fans of the movies or tv shows, or of the animated versions, there are certainly plenty who read books.

That you don't know any and want to offer that in argument is almost as idiotic and stupid as someone like Shaq saying the world must be flat because when he gets in his car for a long drive, that's how it looks to him.

Who said I want to censor gay people? You're putting words in my mouth.

Ok. That is a fair point. Anecdotal evidence shouldn't be used in an argument. So how many gay people read comics? Got any statistics on that? or just anecdotal evidence? :)

This board is full of them. All the comic fans I know are at least bisexual.

Sure, in 1955 maybe.

Sup Forums is stupid and despite not reading comics, they see that one article about diversity being the reason that Marvel sales are shit and hold onto it for dear life as proof that they were right even though they're just circlejerking over MCU/X Men movie characters and lusting for movie synergy in comics they don't care about. They do shit like this all the time whenever some one in a million article pops up supporting them, see; that one article that suggests that Gen Z children are right leaning that gets brought up a thousand times a day on this site.

they think tumblr buys comics

You don't know any comic fan that's straight? Okay, totally believable. Sounds like you may be living in your own bubble bucko.

You're talking about an industry that has generated several mainstays of American pop culture; don't confuse a smaller industry with a niche one.

(((Comic books))) have always been jewing you.

>or just anecdotal evidence?
Considering that's what both sides have used when making arguments for or against something, that's likely the case. But I'm curious, do you have any statistics about how many gay/bi people read comics?

>responding to such pathetic shitposting
Just report him and move on.

They're not overrepresented. The total number of superheroes is too high for it.

>Rational points

you're on Sup Forums man, I don't know why you even tried. Glad you did though

Like reporting actually gets anything done in these type of threads

No I don't have any statistics. You have any?

That's really not the reason. If you look at the people behind it it's very clear that this all done for ideological reasons. People like to appear virtuous so they make these characters in hopes of garnering good will and good boy points from the far left demographic.

There isn't anything wrong with that intrinsically, pandering is a thing that everyone does, the problem comes when the ideology overshadows the story, and the story and characters simply become a mechanism to push an ideological agenda rather than to simply tell a good story. Examples can be shown for example in the infamous female thor comic with lines such as "unsolicited opinions about isreal" and "misogynist MRA talking points" coming from a Norse deity where it doesn't make sense in any context.

It doesn't help when the creators take to twitter to arrogantly proclaim their ideological conquest over these charactes and anyone who has a problem with it is some manbaby alt right nazi virgin. This intentional alienation of fans has lead to a decline in readership.

It's not the gay characters that's the problem it's the ideology behind the gay characters.

>only people on Sup Forums have a problem with excessive gay characters everyone

I hate how faggots like this slap Sup Forums on a person and act like it's some sort of refutation,

No. That's why I find it stupid to argue about this sort of thing

>complains about LGBT characters in his comics
>only mentions cape characters

Tired of cape fags pretending like they own the comic medium; non-cape works have been featuring LGBT characters for years and no one complains because the creators can actually put the story first, as opposed to having to be concerned about their precious IP or whatever.

This diversity stuff only feels weird because cape comics are finding themselves having to play years of catch up. That, and a lot of Marvel writers suck at their job and the stories are dull and insipid irregardless of subject matter.

>unsolicited opinions on Israel

That shit was hilarious, user.

>only people on Sup Forums have a problem with excessive gay characters everyone

Why else would anyone have a problem with gay characters for being gay if they weren't some homophobic fuck? Bad writing is a completely different kettle of fish but the only reasons I've seen for straight people to hate gay characters in things is either casual homophobia or the fact that they feel like gays are the focus of everything in entertainment like OP (even though they're not and they have nearly a whole century of shit to enjoy without gay people). The only time I've seen any valid arguments about shoehorning LGBT characters into things was with Bobby and that was a pretty rare case. Everything else can be accredited to shit writing.

where the fuck are Karma and Northstar?

Bobby can also be accredited to shit writing, in addition to everything else.

This actually sums up a lot of my problems with the current diversity "push". I have no issue with people regardless of any "identifiers," I guess would be the term, so long as they're decent human beings. That's my general approach to life. By that same token, a fictional character can be whatever the creator wants, so long as that character is decently written and involved in decently written situations. What a lot of writers fail to do in lieu of virtue signaling is make these characters and situations actually good and multifaceted. You have a longform medium with plot arcs that can go for years (i.e., Claremont's X-Men run, for starters), and you squander other avenues of character development just to focus on a character's only trait being who they bang or what skin tone or religion they have.
I get that it's a left industry and I'm not on that same page. I can cope with that. It's more the notion that they're trying to introduce diverse characters in a notably hamfisted way. Or change preexisting characters in a way that doesn't feel natural. Please, by all means, create new gay/multiracial characters. Comics as a whole can use that, to be fair. But at least do it in such a way that their sexuality/gender/race/whatever else isn't the only character trait they have. Show me a gay compulsive gambler dyslexic superhero instead of just "a gay superhero and that's it".

The only thing these shitposters from Sup Forums know about comics is the stuff said in the last one of these flamewar threads.

OP has no idea who those characters are.

You're so full of shit.
You actually think you're entitled to decide who gets to exist.
And then you'll tell us all how much you're NOT a Nazi.

>that post
>rational

You don't have to turn the character you already have gay, you make new gay characters faggot

I've never met a cis, straight person who's read comics actively either. I've never actually met anyone who reads comics, at least, not in the past ten years. Whenever I go to the local comic shop, the customers are buying figs, DVDs, artbooks, or manga, not the actual American comics. And the only clerk I know well at all has said she has a girlfriend. Just because your reference pool is more uniform doesn't mean there aren't people outside of that pool.

Unless you want to count Sup Forums, in which case, woah buddy, you do realize how many of us queers are around here right? Sup Forums didn't entirely scare us off yet.

Because people read blogs now or something.

Not that user, but are you fucking retarded?
He never said he wants to gas Jews- he's explaining reasonable points why he dislikes the diversity push. "He's entitled to think who should exist or not?" Stop projecting and realize that maybe, MAYBE, people dislike the diversity push not because of the diversity- but how it's used to excuse bad writing, ideological agendas, and overall faggotry. And before you think I'm homophobic, LURK MOAR. And if you can't, then just kill yourself, you festering tumor.

Faglord maybe read
and realize people don't hate it for the diversity.

1. LGBTfaggots make up like 2% of the pop, there is no way they make up 5% based on polling data

2. Why the fuck do you like any of the O5+ Chuck besides Scott? There are no good Xmen prior to Giant Sized who aren't a Summers brother

3. Who was the second one they ruined?

4. making a chick bi isn't ruining her it is sexy

Because there are people outside of your comfort zone who also read comics.

They're getting exposure due to social media and the advent of technology; folks are actually being seen. As a result, we have retards like you, OP, who overreact to the sudden influx of people you're not used to seeing outside of your circle.

Is it obnoxious when POC or LGTBQ are marketed to? Sure, but no more than it is when these same companies do it to the 'usual' customers.

Stop making these threads for fuck's sake

Oh I knew a fucking faggot like that. Like I've known faggots who were fine and I have no problem with. But I also know 2 faggots one of whom cannot finish a sentence without talking about how much he loves the fuck out of cock and the other one wants higher taxes and to ban guns. I fucking hate them.

I also hate gay culture

It's because it's used to excuse bad writing and push ideologies

>There are more women on the planet and yet more of the actual superheroes are going to be male. White men are not the majority pretty much on any continent on the planet and yet white males represent more than 90+% of the superheros.

That is mostly because only white men are capable of altruism

This is false. Homosexualism causes illiteracy

Im a gay twink who reads comic, other than like icman and america who else is really gay currently?

>A lot of comic creators/journalists are gay to. Why?
Complaining about gay characters is fucking stupid but I can at least see the logic behind it
Complaining about actual people being gay is fucking retarded though, what the fuck is wrong with you

>So how many gay people read comics? Got any statistics on that? or just anecdotal evidence? :)

Five hundred thousand people plus used to regularly pick up Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen and and a comparable amount used to pick up Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane. If we go by either the 1-10 or the 5% figure, that means anywhere from 2.5K to 5K were lesbian, gay or bisexual readers.

Asking about readerships counts is a pretty BS tack. Why not just admit you have nothing other than your own prejudice or opinions to back you up? There's nothing wrong with that, unless and until you decide to do something like take some shot guns to a pizza parlor in DC...

Not that user, but the only comic fans I even come across that might be straight are people I see at one of my various local LCSs (my town and general metro area has about 7 of them) or when someone stops me on the bus and asks me what I am reading. I don't go around asking, hey - do you like pole or do you like hole? so I really can't speak to that - and they aren't people I really 'know.'

It's a dying medium that has to reach out to whatever means to survive

If all these creators gave a shit, would Island be cancelled? Would Marvel not constantly struggling?

Let it burn.

It's almost like social progress has made it acceptable to talk about these characters and there's a backlash from years of repression where such topics were not allowed or marketable.

bullshit. people like , , and me hate it for bad writing. don't you realize that people hate it not for it's diversity, but how it's used to excuse things?

Do you read X-men? Oh right SJWs dont read comics.

So you know what every SJW does or doesn't read?

no, it's that no one would make a statment like that unless they don't read comics like x-men.
and by the way, people hate the diversity push because it's bad writing. take the powerpuffs for example, whom used it in ways that didn't cause a fuss because it was GOOD WRITING. SJWs like you don't understand that.

Any reason you're just assuming that all the people you're responding too are SJWs?

ITS THE NEW NORMAL BIGOT

>Why don't these tumblrinas make their own comics if they want them to be diverse
>"Tumblrinas" gets into the comic industry and makes comics for the big 2
>user sits on his fat ass and complains

Reeee etc