We only talk about the psychological aspects of fusion in this thread

We only talk about the psychological aspects of fusion in this thread.

Waifu/fetish posting is not allowed in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_goEernujW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well those thighs really are on my mind a lot.

inorite?

So is fusion sex or not sex? It feels like it's sex a lot of the time, except for when it isn't. But even then a lot of the friendship fusions feel more like "friends with benefits" situations. If Steven fused with somebody he 100% wasn't romantically invested with, like Greg, it would clarify things but I suspect that Sugar's trying to avoid having ANY characters with gems that aren't at least a bit female.

Fusion represents a relationship. Some relationships can be platonic, some can be romantic and/or sexual.

Fusion is whatever you want it to be to better appreciate the show. It can mean many things to the writers so it can mean many things to you.

The problem is when actual autists who don't know cartoons are for enjoyment and little else come on to the internet and start hours long flamewars about how fusion has to be one thing to sate said autism.

How does a fusion even work?
I mean, are the fusers controlling it or is the fusion controlling itself? Additionally, are the fusers even mentally present? Do they hold any sway towards the fusion?

I really want to see a Greg/Steven fusion

It's a fusion
They're both there influencing it and influencing each other and the result can be considered it's own being

Technically the fusion is considered to be a whole new being, that is made when two components are acting synchronized. The new personality become more apparent the longer the fusion is held.

When the components are in conflict each of the personalities might be more apparent, and sometimes one component might have more sway than the other. However most of the times when the components are in conflict, the fusion will break, unless held together by strong willpower.

>So is fusion sex or not sex?
It's not sex, its just an expression of characters relationship.

I'm pretty sure the only gem to ever canonically have sex is Rose, even if a fusion like Garnet is romantic in nature.

I mean, Steven is 0% romantically invested with Amethyst and they fused.

But what about that episode where Pearl tricks the other gems to fuse with her out of pure lust?

That gigantic abortion is completely wrong and disgusting

Why is In the show?

Which one?

The maggot

WE JUST NEEDED A ReeEeAson

Fusing with Garnet isn't like sex for gems like Pearl and Amethyst - its more like a drug.

She makes them feel incredibly powerful since she's much stronger than either of them, and at the same time the fact that she's so emotionally stable makes them feel confident and secure. Which is something that they normally never feel since they are both really neurotic and insecure.

Basically forming Sugalite or Sardonyx isn't like sex, its more like going on a massive coke binge and feeling like the unstoppable queen of the world.

Fusion is one of two things, depending on the episode.

In a fight, its just a powerup with some Social Link prereqs to unlock. Its not expected to last much longer than the thing they are fighting.

In other cases, the Fusion is a metaphor for the relationship between those involved. Garnet's advice on fusions has to be taken with a grain of Salt, because Garnet is a walking "these two people have disappeared into their relationship so deep that they are not even separate people anymore". Her views on fusion are very idealistic and romanticized, because that whole forbidden love thing IS her.

Steven and Cannie like each other too, but I never get the impression that Stevonnie is in any real danger of eating Steven/Connie and being her own being. Not like Garnet.

Malachite was also a relationship but a bad one where each side was just using and abusing the other to make themselves feel better. Lapis wanted control and an excuse to stew in her own misery, and Jasper liked the way the power made her feel.

I think of it like a ven diagram with heavy overlap. The fusers are still there, but the overlap is a new personality. Whether the fusers or the fusion is the one doing the driving depends on how much overlap there is, though Malachite shows that the fusers can fight over whose personality is dominant in the fusion.

That's a real good way to put it.

That's how I see Garnet working like she does - its not like the Garnet personality has destroyed Ruby and Sapphire but rather that the two of them synch up so well that there is almost never conflict between them in their actions as Garnet.

>is only sexual when i say is sexual.

Sorry, this guy explain better To me, the fact that fusion is considered sexual is the fault of Garnet she fucked fusion to everyone, it is so much that she only is used to explain fusion now.

Be it on purpose or by accident fusion appears to cause relationships that are incredibly co-depend

>To me, the fact that fusion is considered sexual is the fault of Garnet she fucked fusion to everyone, it is so much that she only is used to explain fusion now.
Is English your 3rd language or something?

Smoky Quartz doesn't seem too co-dependent, and it doesn't seem that way when Rubies fuse together to make a big Ruby either.

Or Opal, who only comes together for short periods of time to accomplish a specific task.

Confirmation bias, I think. Its less that the relations are made to be co-dependent, so much as the ones that are not don't last as fusions.

If the participating gems had more independent personalities, they would inevitably clash and the fusion would break. So most gems can hold a fusion for a few minutes, especially when its formed to deal with a specific problem that both Gems want to solve (aka: beat this monster) but after that its only a matter of time before they have different ideas and split.

Topaz was pretty codependent with Topaz so even same gem fusions can get a bit unhealthy

Rhodonite fused in secret and got discovered.

I still have no clue what to make of Fluorite

Seemless telepathic communication that blurs the line between those involved until the resultant mind could be considered a new being. Fusion is a conversation, a very effecient one. That is, until it's components reach a critical conflict point and equalibrium is disturbed.

>Waifu

Do not use that word unless you want your thread to die prematurely or to get it deleted, seriously.

I'm curious - what exactly does "co-dependent" mean to this board?

I always figured it just meant that the relationship consisted of people who enabled each other bad habits and behavior, not that they were just close to each other.

The whole thing with Garnet is that she's greater than her parts - she balances out the flaws in Ruby and Sapphire.

Codependent Garnet would be simultaneously super emotionally unstable like Ruby and prone to inaction like Sapphire.

sorry what?
Is the construction of my phrase wrong or something?
I cannot see any typo mistake so the only thing that can be wrong is my comma or the construction of my phrase. If that is the case you are literally a grammar nazy.

Also, why is no one in universe the slightest bit horrified by the concept of fusion? By Garnet's own admission, most of the time in a fusion, when it's working properly, the original identities temporarily fade away into the new personality, aka "you" stop existing for increasingly long periods of time. Would you give up your existence to be permanently in pseudo-sex with your waifu forever?

>fusing causes psychological issues
It's almost like lesbian relationships are unstable and abusive or something.

I don't understand why anyone would refer to Garnet as a positive relationship.
Ruby and Sapphire are codependent beyond humor. It's a more loving version of the Joker and Harley, Christ.

I hate to use it as an example, but I think it's like the episode of Rick and Morty where Rick dates the hivemind and she eventually has to break it off because they both lose themselves in their relationship. Sugilite, for example, is akin to what happens when two people's egos reinforce each other and they start hanging out all the time doing stupid shit. They CAN stop acting like Sugilite, but they're sure as hell not going to without some intervention.

How exactly though?

I mean, what about that comes off even remotely the same as Harley and Joker.

Don't just parrot "codependent" as a crutch - actually explain it using examples from the show.

She still has both of those flaws at times (putting the mission at risk because she's so impatient with Amethyst in Reformed and refusing the tell Steven about Blue Diamond), but also has the new flaw of making her incapable of interacting with other people. Garnet herself is distant and aloof, but we see in the baseball episode that Ruby and Sapphire's collective personality is the same way when they're together. Those two genuinely didn't give a fuck about what was going around around them, even in a situation where they really should have.

Sugilite basically lets Garnet tap into that part where she just wants to break stuff & get nasty, but is too cool and stoic 90% of the time. For Amethyst, Sugilite gives her the confidence & strength to break stuff & not take shit.

Opal is somewhat different case that smooths over and covers for Pearl & Amethyst's flaws, resulting in a single awesome whole. Sadly she doesn't get used too often.

Amethyst was being an immature tool in Reformed and she was trying to keep the kid she's taking care off away from one of the trio of super-powerful space goddesses who have an extreme grudge against him because of the war.

Garnet is also a lot less aloof now than she was in season 1 and as for Ruby and Sapphire... well, Rubies are all really dumb. We have tons of evidence documenting that.

Umm
Remind me, which episode was Reformed?

It's the one where Amethyst keeps getting poofed while trying to catch the Slinker

Sardonyx is a product of rape. Her and Amethyst have that in common.

Yeah there must have been some sort of b-plot that I'm forgetting based on that guy's post

Fusion is not sexual.
It's an alien combat technique

do their height also determine the factor as to how powerful the fusion would be? that at least one of them should be very tall for the fusion to be strong, not just normal strong like garnet?

Pearl is taller than Amethyst
But Opal is shorter than Sugilite and likely much weaker

Everything about a fusion, like height, number of limbs, and extra eyes, is there to communicate something to the audience. There's no in-universe correlation between those things and any factor that goes into the fusion. For example, Sardoynx is tall to communicate that it's attention-grabbing, has extra arms to show that it's dexterous, and has a second set of eyes because Pearl had underhanded motives for the fusion for most of her debut episode (Rainbow Quartz and Malachite also have the secondary eyes).

Strong fusions are always tall to communicate that they're powerful, not the other way around.

Sorry I meant Sardonyx not Opal

Ametheyst kept taking ridiculous and improbable forms in that episode because of her brain problems, which was compromising the strength of the team. None of that is Garnets fault, which was why using that episode as an example of Garnet having problems is weird to me.

Because it's a rare example of Garnet's temper getting in the way of her leadership abilities. Instead of being able to handle the situation, she just got frustrated and escalated it. Her attitude in that episode reminded me of Ruby in Keystone Motel. She just kept repeating the same thing over and over, getting more frustrated every time.

Garnet is pretty stupid, she just can surf the future vision to good outcomes most of the time but she can't actually think critically very much for herself outside of that ability.

no this thread isn't archiving

>there will never be an episode that focuses on Opal because Rebecca Sugar lacks all foresight and was retarded enough to have her be voiced by a celebrity

Fluorite. user means Fluorite.

Its always "autism" with you people.

Rebecca sugar changes the meaning of fusion to fit whatever narrative the show is aiming for. Thats why you have to say " its whatever the writers need it to be" which is pretty shitty and proof of inconsistencies in the show.

Think about this, pearl was being deceptive to garnet. Yet they still fused, how's that? Their emotions werent in sync, their motivations werent either. So two characters not in sync in anyway were able to fuse. So whats the deal there?

And while occupying the same mind youd imagine they could feel each others intentions, and garnet should've been able to see that pearl was being deceptive, but nope. Being fused and having "future vision" did shit to solve that mystery.

>So is fusion sex or not sex?
It's an alien biological process which has a lot in common with human sexual intercourse but isn't precisely the same thing.

It involves a lot of close physical interaction between two (or more) people.
It involves sharing something that's often very important and personal to those involved.
It induces new and unfamiliar sensations in those involved.
It takes a lot of trust and understanding to do well, and can easily allow for one partner to betray the other, which can have severe psychological effects on the victim.
It's a natural function of Gem biology and serves a practical purpose, though this isn't the only thing that can be done with it; Homeworld society holds strong taboos against using it for anything outside its "natural" function, or between the wrong kind of partners.

At the same time, while it has a lot of parallels, it's not the same thing. Ultimately, it's something without any direct analogue in the human experience, though it can serve as a metaphor for many kinds of relationships, it's something unique to Gemkind.

Pearl and Garnet still shared the motivation of destroying the communication tower, and whether she admits it or not Garnet was enjoying being Sardonyx with Pearl.

For Pearl it was more about enjoying being Sardonyx than it was about deceiving Garnet. That's the feeling that bled through their connection, the delirious high of being together.

Remember what Garnet said about when you're fused you forget that you were ever separate people. So it makes sense that Garnet wouldn't necessarily know everything that Pearl does

The Topaz fusion didn't seem to be co-dependent, the two Topazes just wanted to fuse for the sake of a good relationship but couldn't because of the way their jobs treat fusion.

I think the only unhealthy trait they started to display was regard prisoners with compassion, seeing as how they're literally the prison.

What the fuck's up with Fluorite anyways? I mean, as a concept she's cool, but when is many gems /too/ many gems?

How come she has to wait until all six components make up her minds to speak? Why hasn't she "taken control" for a lack of better term?

Why not just get a different VA? Not like she had more than 3 lines. Also, if a fusion can change, why can't her voice change? Like, stable Malachite would have a proper voice.

Which reminds me, does Opal even have a VA?

That's a deeper question than I think you meant it to be

dem quads

So basically there's no justifiable reason we haven't had any Opal-centric episodes besides Sugar being a lazy hack?

Steven's next new fusions should be(in order):
>Lapis
>Peridot
>Pearl
>Garnet

Although really any new Steven fusions are desperately needed.

I really want to know how the fusion of Garnet + Amethyst + Pearl + Rose Quartz looks like

Yes, she's voiced by Aimee Mann.

youtube.com/watch?v=_goEernujW8

>Opal is somewhat different case that smooths over and covers for Pearl & Amethyst's flaws, resulting in a single awesome whole. Sadly she doesn't get used too often.

It's weird that Opal's so neglected by Sugar when she's still, to this day, probably the most universally beloved fusion after Stevonnie/Garnet.

>after Stevonnie/Garnet
No, it's before.

>Its always "autism" with you people.
>proceeds to rant about how everything has to be literal and explicit and can't change between viewers
No, user. It's just you.

I like to imagine it looks exactly like it did for Rose.

I'm pretty sure she's just used to Amethyst's bullshit and knew she'd het it together eventually.

Even better.

First and best fusion forever and always.

Opal deserves more art.

Steven will fuse with each Crystal Gem once he reaches a certain milestone of personal growth.

First, he was feeling frustrated inadequate due to his lack of power compared to the other Gems. Then he fused with Amethyst due to their common connection.

Now, he's learning more and more about the Gems' history, and stuggling to deal with the fallout of his mother's decisions. He'll be able to connect with Pearl as they both try to step out of Rose Quartz's shadow.

Ah so were in agreement then, the show isnt consistent and changes the rules whenever it sees fit. Cool.

They did not share the same motivation.

Garnet wants to fuse to destroy towers made by "peridot"

Pearl simply wants to fuse with garnet cause it feels good.

Their reasons for fusion are totally different.

The funny thing is, this isn't actually a bad thing. As long as the previous rules weren't there for ultra important reasons, they could be changed for the better.

The "rules" of fusion are actually pretty consistent. They're just complicated in practice, like most relationships are.

Two Gems break down, mix, and reassemble parts of themselves to create a new being. The fused being can act as a single unit as long as her components can cooperate well enough, but can fall apart if they react too differently to a situation. They outwardly appear to be a single being with her own personality, and they can share thoughts and feelings, but they don't have to share everything.

I don't see any contradictions there.

Not that user but Hit the Diamond.
Ruby and Sapphire ruined the plan to get the Rubies out of the planet just because they couldn't be apart for more than an hour.

of course it's sex.

>Their emotions werent in sync

Yes they were. Being dishonest has nothing to do with your emotional state.