I honestly can't tell if I think this show is shit, or if I just think so, because of all the negative reviews it gets...

I honestly can't tell if I think this show is shit, or if I just think so, because of all the negative reviews it gets. How many of them are just mad that Danny Rand isn't a chinaman?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NODx7aN0Rlw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_isolation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Buck
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Actually it's shit, but not because of the lack of diversity. Actually, the whole cast is very diverse.

The reasons it's shit are
>Finn Jones whiny/immature portrayal of the character
IF is supposed to have a suave and cool-calm personality, he's supposed to have mastered chi and shit

>choreography
i don't even have to explain

>inconsistency
IF is supposed to be a great martial artist. If he cannot one-shot the average grunt, something is very wrong here.

>plot
the plot goes back and forth 3-4 times, especially everytime a new villain shows up

>scott buck
the dude is incapable of running a show without ruining everything

>not enough mystical shit, very minimal world building
might be for budget reasons, might be because scott buck is shit

Is this Scott guy the Brett ratner if TV or something?

season 2, and defenders might make things better. How are the other shows? I never got into Daredevil, and didn't watch Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage.

>season 2, and defenders might make things better.
What'll make things better is if they get someone who actually likes Iron Fist mythos.

>the dude is incapable of running a show without ruining everything
Like, you have to be trolling your audience on purpose or have military grade retardation to make a final season as bad as Dexter's.
It's not even the entertaining kind of bad.

Basically all shows suffer from too many episodes, but D2 handles the pace better because of Punisher

Overall, I'd say that D1 is excellent, D2 is very good, JJ is good but should be 6 episodes instead of 12, as the plot repeats itself like 3 times, and LC has an excellent first half, but falls apart after that because the main villain and his overall confrontation with LC is garbage.

Not quite, but Buck is someone who's been carried his whole career by others, and everything he's done solo is laughably bad in execution and very poorly conceived.

Almost none. Considering this is basically the OG cultural misappropriation, the lack of anger over that is pretty surprising. That being said, this thing was prebaked as cultural misappropriation rather than attempting to whitewash a previously asian character, so the misappropriation stuff doesn't really make it into reviews and he's just 'added to the list'

There's plenty of other things to get annoyed about with this show though. Danny is completely unlikable and the actor overacts most of his scenes whether the plot has him holding the idiot ball or not (and it has him holding the idiot ball most of the time)

All this and also the fact that the entire plot could easily fit in like seven episodes.

Why is Danny so fucking scrawny in this?

it's overall the best season of any Netflix show

>How many of them are just mad that Danny Rand isn't a chinaman?
The same number who aren't mad that they made Davos NOT Asian.

>No misty

IT'S SHIT

i liked it. as well as the other netflix shows because they were entertaining enough.

Daredevil had a superb season and a half though.
it's easy to draw comparisons and unfortunate for the other shows

The thing is, the show ropes you along thinking it's going somewhere interesting, but then it becomes absolute shit.

>>Bokuto appears out of nowhere and he's supposed to be the major villain
Who the fuck was Bokuto?! He has no chemistry with the heroes, and yet he's treated like this massive threat? And then there's the Good Hand/Bad Hand situation that made no sense!

Also
>>Harold is able to fight Iron Fist with a pole and no martial arts training, and almost wins.

I was so mad.

That goes for literally all the Marvel Netflix shows though.

Iron Fist made me think that unless Ike is pulled away from Marvel TV soon then its gonna crash and we're going to be wasting Marvel characters on TV.

Inhumans proved that true

Bokuto is never threated as a bad guy except for at the end of one episode and at the end of the season

Many of them are people who know nothing of the source material. However the show was really bad. It lacked the Marvel charm and was a rushed project to get the defenders started.
The one major problems is that there is no humor, and kungfu movies and shows in English don't work well for some reason. Most of the time it's very cringy. The director should have been a person who knows how to make kungfu movies, what they made was a buff the vampire slayer Chinese knockoff. Actually if it was a Chinese knockoff it would have been better. It was just so bad.
They needed a Danny who knew martial arts ahead of time, they needed to make this show less serious and have fun with it.

Davos is asian in the books?

It would had been easier to use an stundouble who actually knows how to fight if they had given Danny the mask.

This. I mean, after 5 seasons of shows all in NYC, they start to run together. Like, how much longer can they use the setting of a crime ridden NYC for their shows when each show ends up wasting the heads of a crime syndicate?

Seriously why Marvel even trusted Scott?

I don't think any are JUST mad about that. It's just bad.

remove ike
remove scott buck
bring in rza and someone like the shaw brothers.
go full mystical, drop srs, and fuck it turn danny into a full goofball

not full goofball, but not into some teen drama shit.

It's an insult to asian culture. Not because of the casting, but because of the pathetic excuse of what they call martial arts.

the show is garbage.
the show portrays stories based on kung-fu mysticism into mundane corporate drama.
Just look at the pic you posted; they're advertising some curly-haired muppet in a gray suit.

>Danny is suppose to be the greatest martial artist in the world
>cast a guy with very little martial arts training and give him 15 mins before scenes to learn the choreography
It was just rushed to hell to get Danny on the defenders set.

>Danny is suppose to be the greatest martial artist in the world
>It took him 10 minutes to just barely beat some normal henchmen in the truck fight.

Let's just hope that with confirmation of season 2 they realize they have to double down on mystical shit.

It's pretty disappointing honestly. It makes you think it's building towards something.

I mean, you'd think the final confrontation with the villain would be a big martial arts spectacle, but nope.

wow you're wrong. i don't have the picture anymore but when it came out somebody put together like 50 negative reviews complaining that he isn't asian

I'm mad Danny Rand is a whiny, STUPID, mopey asshole who woulnd't know kung-fu if it kicked him in the fucking face.

Also shit like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=NODx7aN0Rlw

because they don't eat much in kun lun. hard to bulk on rice

I liked Ward and Harold, Claire and Colleen are ok but I don't find any of the other characters compelling. The second half of Daredevil Season 2 and Luke Cage had some of the same issues Iron Fist had but the main protagonists (and Frank) were likable enough for me to still somewhat enjoy them. Iron Fist didn't have that sadly, it isn't Arrow Season 4 levels of bad but I wouldn't recommend watching it unless you want to watch all the Defenders shows.

Claire was easily the worst part of the show.

That music makes me want to kill myself.

about half

Marvel's whole Netdix lineup is garbage. This one just didn't have tumblr critics circlejerking it because the lead isn't a "minority".
>muh disabled
>womyn deth to penises
>all niggers are MLK

So far this is the only show where I'm not sure who's the main villain supposed to be. Par for the course for Scott Buck because 2 out or 3 of his main villains were that fucking boring.
Speaking of villains, I really hope Sigourney Weaver's character is terrifying. I'm hungry for a truly frightening villain. Fisk and Stokes are good, but they're hardly nightmare fuel.

It is bad even though the reviewers are mostly focused on him being an unrelateable rich white guy. My main issue with the story is that there is sooo much focus on Danny and the company and so little focus on The Iron Fist.

I think it's easier to see the shortcomings of the series when you contrast it with what it could've been. Picture this as an alternative version of iron FIst:
>First half of the series set in K'un-Lun and the other Capital Cities of Heaven with New York only being introduced in the second half.
>Heavily focused on Kung Fu and Chi.
>The big bad is still the hand. They manipulate the politics between the cities (from the shadows) and momentarily seduce Danny to the dark side only to have him steal the Iron Fist and get stranded in New York so they can invade K'un-Lun.
>Once in New York Danny quickly establishes his identity and wealth but has trouble relating to society (not just as a wealthy person but as someone who was raised in a different society altogether). He eventually turns on the Hand and this sets up his redemption as well as his later encounters with Colleen and Claire.
>The big theme in the series is "emotional isolation". It appears in many forms. The Hand manufacturing it to exploit key characters, Danny Rand not belonging anywhere, Colleen who is a foreigner living in New York, Claire who can't catch a break, etc...
>Danny's character arc involves him not fitting in in K'un-Lun and later discovering he doesn't fit in in New York either. Eventually having to own up to his mistakes, rightfully "earn" the Iron Fist that he stole, and finally making meaningful connections.
>Danny's ability to tap into the Iron Fist's power relies on his chi, so as he grows as a character he becomes more powerful.

Regarding emotional isolation:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_isolation

(cont.)

But it's actually bad user. Literally all the show had to do was have good kung fu fight choreography. That's what IF is ABOUT. But nope. Shit fights. Shit show.

It's not abysmal, maybe a C- tho

The show stinks

You could replace every actor with just chinamen and it'd still turn out shit

Jessica Jones had at least an intriguing plot, even if it drags too long an stopped making sense.

>How many of them are just mad that Danny Rand isn't a chinaman?
One of the many reasons I hate identity politics is that they muddy the waters of criticism. Most internet 'reviewers' never took the time to say whether they disliked the way Danny Rand was Portrayed or if they Just disliked the idea of Danny Rand.
>is it shit or
No, it's shit. It's a terrible attempt at a Kung-Fu show written by somebody who obviously doesn't watch Kung-Fu. It's mis-casted, the pacing sucks and the plot is boring.
>Speaking of villains, I really hope Sigourney Weaver's character is terrifying. I'm hungry for a truly frightening villain. Fisk and Stokes are good, but they're hardly nightmare fuel.
As someone with a little experience in the legal system I was pleasantly surprised by Fisk. I've heard his portrayal described as "weaponized autism" and it's spot on. There are charming, unassuming people who are just acclimated to violence and when you see the switch get flipped over nothing it's terrifying.
That said, I got high hopes for Weaver.

Yeah. He's the son of the Thunderer.

This is awful, this ignores basically everything ever established about Iron Fist.

I'd be more afraid of Fisk had the camera not focused on his face when he's beating someone to a pulp.
I know it's a stupid nitpick, but D'Onofrio looks kinda silly when he's trying to be angry.

(cont.)

With this it's easier to see (some) of the drawbacks of the version of Iron Fist we saw. Here are a few:
1) Very little development is made into Danny's life in K'un-Lun. Only two characters from there are portrayed as even vaguely relevant and those are Davos and Lei Kung. On the other hand a disproportionate amount of time and attention is placed on Danny's pre-K'un-Lun childhood.
2) It's established that Danny trained all his life to become the Iron Fist yet he's terrible at it and doesn't even seem to understand how to use chi or the Iron Fist's powers. This offsets the entire drama at the end of the series where Danny wasn't there to protect K'un-Lun (even if he had been there he would've been too incompetent to protect the city anyways).
3) Kung Fu and Chi were really downplayed despite that being the main theme of the show. Not just the terrible choreography but also the development of it. We're TOLD that Danny trained all his life but we're only SHOWN a scene of him getting beaten with sticks by monks. Chi is so poorly developed that viewers don't have any sense of the rules and as such it's difficult to really convey any drama through it.
4) There is no central theme.
5) Danny doesn't have a character arc.
6) The human aspect of Danny's character is both underdeveloped and poorly conveyed/unrelateable. Would Danny have continued to happily run the business if he was recognized as CEO and didn't realize The Hand was in his company? What exactly is his driving motivation? Why is he always so condescending and smug?

It was just an example I came up with on the spot.

>It was just an example I came up with on the spot.

You complain about the story and want to replace it with something equally bad, but for different reasons.

If you are going to have a show called Iron Fist, starring Daniel Rand (The Iron Fist) maybe it should be based on the Iron Fist established story, canon, comics.

Take your OC and make your own OC donut steel show. Don't call it Iron Fist if it has nothing to do with him.

Honestly when Davos showed up I kept thinking "oh man please don't be Davos"and was kinda passed he was.

I don't fucking know. The last thing the guy worked on was Dexter, not only did that have nothing in common with Iron Fist but he was terrible at it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Buck
>For season six of Dexter, after the previous show runners left the series, Buck was promoted to showrunner position. His three seasons as showrunner were not well received, with the final season of Dexter in particular receiving poor reviews, resulting in Buck and his team having to defend their narrative choices.
In December 2015, Buck was hired to serve as showrunner and executive producer for the Marvel and Netflix television series Iron Fist.[6] Following the series' debut online via streaming, reviews for Iron Fist were predominantly overall negative with critics calling it "easily the worst of the Netflix Marvel shows."[7] >In December 2016, it was announced that he would return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as the showrunner and executive producer for the Marvel, IMAX Corporation, and ABC television series Inhumans.[8] In July 2017, it was announced that Buck was removed from his position as showrunner and executive producer on the TV series Iron Fist.
Pic related, this should be screamed at any show that considers hiring this dumb bastard.

I don't know why you're so buttblasted. I was just trying to highlight the flaws in the series. I'm not particularly attached to that post.

That said, some things you just can't remove from the Iron Fist show. The Hand have to be involved somehow or it won't tie into The Defenders.

If you could follow the comic story where Danny hunts down Harold Meachum, decides not to kill him, and gets framed for his death anyways (I'm sure you could make it work). The only issue with this is that the theme becomes revenge which makes it difficult to have character growth and requires some really good action scenes and drama to sell it (not saying it can't be done but I don't think it could be done by the same people who made this Iron Fist).

>I honestly can't tell if I think this show is shit, or if I just think so, because of all the negative reviews it gets

the most honest thing ever posted on this board

It's legitmate trash

It's highly inconsistent with Danny's characterization. He always talks about being in control and centered and then spazs out in another scene 5 minutes later. He spent 15 years training in some mystical land to kick major ass and he gets wrecked by some regular goons. Granted they want to make things difficult for him then have him fight a fuck ton of mooks. It would be a different dynamic from the other shows and make him more dangerous.

The corporate stuff makes no sense with its takeovers and characters acting unilaterally and the worst offender of it all is that it's boring as fuck.

The show doesn't use music very well unlike say Luke Cage or to a lesser extent Daredevil

The show doesn't use its setting well at all. Say what you want about New York City but there's a reason why so many films/shows take place there. The city can provide some amazing backdrops for drama and action. Iron Fist mostly takes place in offices and old abandoned warehouses and some penthouses. It's a fucking waste.

Characters like Claire and Gao get too much screen time and we focus too much on Danny and Colleen who don't really feel legitmate as a couple.

If you want to watch a show thick on mythology and martial arts, watch Into The Badlands. It will fill the void Iron Fist fans had after this shit show came out.

"were not well received" is not doing it justice. The show became a fucking laughingstock to the point where reading a comment section for the latest episode on a website like IMDB of the show was far more entertaining than the actual episode.

The scene where he's introduced where he attacks some random street vendor and torments him a little bit made no sense. I thought he was going to be straight up hostile after that but then he talks about being honorable and fulfilling duty and I'm like dude wtf?

No fuck this SJW BOOGEYMAN shit.

This show was fucking garbage. Shit acting and fight choreography and like and the pacing for the show was fucking glacial.

Scott Buck is a fucking hack who ruined Dexter and I'm so fucking tired of MCU stans trying to defend this fucking show because of one twitter user and stupid hashtag.

My inner X-Fag is happy he's ruining Inhumans now, at least.

This.
If it must rain, let it rain on the just and un-just alike.

All these shows would've been better off being set in the 70s/80s. Iron Fist does not work in the modern era

People say MCU villains suck but you should count your lucky stars that they're not as terrible as this guy.
This is what Scott Buck thought would make the cut after Trinity raised the bar for a Dexter villain.

Honestly, the show is exhibit A for where to draw the line on reinterpreting comic book characters.

You can meddle with a lot, but don't fuck with the main character's core motivations, especially in their origin.

Comic Iron Fist: Danny Rand pushed himself his entire life to become a human weapon before leaving a mystic dimension (throwing away a chance to become immortal), all so he could kill the douchecanoe that killed his parents (and ultimately going "Oh dude, I've kinda wasted my life" after meeting the bastard and finding out he was a miserable legless old fart that had spent the last decade jumping at shadows and living in constant terror of Danny showing up). He is what happens when you become an ultimate avenging warrior then find out the vengeance wasn't satisfying.

Netflix Iron Fist: Danny Rand learned martial arts because, well, it passed the time. He left a mystic dimension because he was bored. He went to New York and just sorta walked around going "why is nobody accepting that I'm a rich person that was declared dead years ago?" He's got some ennui going on.

He learned martial arts to destroy the Hand in the show. He leaves because he's lonely and shit and then finds out the Hand invaded his company and NY.

>He learned martial arts to destroy the Hand in the show.
Ignoring the fact that The Hand is basically a myth at that point, sure, that's the Iron Fist's duty, but not Danny Rand's. The show kind of implies that the monks forced him to learn martial arts as a condition for them taking him in.
>He leaves because he's lonely and shit
He's still lonely in New York. That is never resolved and overall poorly developed.
>and then finds out the Hand invaded his company and NY.
He halfasses his work at the company yet claims to care about it. It's not even clear why he cares about the company, it's not the reason he returned to New York (it would make more sense if it was since he keeps bringing up his dead dad wanting the company to be good). Also, he once again seems to care about The Hand despite not giving a fuck earlier on.

The guy just fucking doesn't know what the fuck he's doing and it doesn't help that he keeps acting like a condescending self-entitled child all the time. Danny's behavior is aggravating to watch.

nah

they easily could've updated Luke Cage and Iron Fist for the modern era. Go read the original runs of both characters. They took place in a seedy, gritty New York.