So now that the dust has settled, what are your hopes for the future of Sonic comics?

So now that the dust has settled, what are your hopes for the future of Sonic comics?

Personally I'm sort of hoping /ourboy/ will make his glorious return. Pretty sure you can't copyright "Green Sonic" after all.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tQMEAh5rhsc
twitter.com/tssznews/status/891509184814043137
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm still hoping for a BOOOOOOOM SHADOW.
BOOM SHADOW
BOOMSHADOW

>It's a "character is an evil alternate dimension version of hero" villain

>Pretty sure you can't copyright "Green Sonic" after all.
Too bad, because Penders literally did and I can tell you right now IDW is going to stay as far away from that shit as possible.

You can if you're Penders

But he can't if you're IDW

>Pretty sure you can't copyright "Green Sonic" after all.
Then get ready for.... PURPLE SONIC WITH THE POWER OF DARKSPINE

Scourge isn't evil, but everyone else was so he just sort of adapted

>So if IDW wants to do their own rendition of an Evil Sonic? They can definitively do it.
But they won't, because they don't want to get pulled into court. As has already happened, that's enough to piss SEGA off and make them pull the license.

You're not getting Scourge or any sort of expy him in IDW's comics. Ever.

I'd like to see that too, but just don't expect IDW to be the ones to do it. They're not going to want to risk their new license by trying to stick it to the crazy guy.

Better to hope that Penders goes after SEGA directly at some point and gets crushed.

I'm predicting that whoever IDW gets to write it (although its a pretty strong bet they'll get Ian), they'll most likely stick to game characters only.

Then if its a hit, over the years other characters (that can be proven to be 100%, iron-clad Sega property) can start to be slowly added or alluded to.

Safety first.

I'd rather "Black Metal Sonic" return.

Wouldn't even be hard since it's literally just the original metal sonic.

>someone else remembers that catchy as fuck song
I love you, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=tQMEAh5rhsc

Shut up, Boco

IDW isn't Archie. Sega is gonna own any OC's off the bat because IDW isn't retarded at managing contracts. They won't have to wait for shit

He has the copyright to Evil Sonic and that's just as fucking retarded and all that matters. All I can hope for that is even slightly realistic is the return of the Freedom Fighters. If I get at all fantastical I hope for the return of some reboot characters.

I was too vague.

I mean that over the years they can slowly add SatAM/Archie characters. Unless Sega just wants them gone forever. Thats possible too.

They didn't want them in the first place. They've always been jealous over their success while nobody gives a fuck about their own terrible OC.

>So now that the dust has settled

Except it hasn't. The dust is still flying wildly everywhere until we know how IDW is going to handle their approach to making a Sonic comic.

Agreed. The more metal sonics, the merrier.

Seriously, though, I do hope IDW Sonic is it's own thing and isn't just more Archie Sonic.

Hey, it's Ashura.

I don't have any special wishes on which characters will appear or what the world will look like. I just want to see the comic running without external interference constantly fucking it over (lawsuits, plots that have to be heavily edited due to legal issues, stories that get announced but end up aborted, one-shots or crossovers that interrupt longer storyarcs).
Oh, and I do hope that most of the creators from the Archie run will return. I was enjoying their work a lot.

What the fuck is he doing with his foot?

If it's just more Archie Sonic with different characters or nothing but game content, it's going to fail. The end. No questions asked.

They need someone to give it a unique direction.

Crossing it like a sassy bitch.

>Megadrive #1 is the best selling issue in the comic's history
>people think Sega won't pay attention to the fact that a strict game adaption did better than any of the issues of a 20 year series with donut steels

I legitimately don't see how people think anything outside of the games is going to return. Sega didn't even want the FF in the reboot, Archie had to beg to keep them.

That coupled with the fact the comic is coming out at a perfect time (reputation is good because of social media, cartoon is well received, 2 new games coming out this year) they are going to try to attract a new generation of young fans. They want to promote the games and their universe.
There is no way they are going to stick anything not game related in this comic. The FF are not and will never be game canon related, Sega has 0 use for them in the grand scheme of things. Besides which, they were created at a time when there were very little characters. There is a vast cast of characters to work with now.

I'm not speaking from a personal bias here, I'm being objective. I understand wanting them back if you were a fan, but you are in serious denial if you still think they're going to come back (this is without mentioning the pendering lawsuit, or the fact that SoJ has a massive hateboner for SoA and don't want to recognise anything they've made).

I also think it's unfair to expect that IDW will even want to work with Archie's story and characters. Maybe they have their own plans and want to do their own take on sonic instead of continuing/reimagining whatever archie has started.

>Sega is gonna own any OC's off the bat
Or they most certainly will to avoid the nonsense that hit the original comic. Hell they might just ban OCs period.

>If it's just more Archie Sonic with different characters or nothing but game content, it's going to fail. The end. No questions asked.

Sonic is about freedom and fighing, not freedom fighting.

We're apparently looking at a hard reboot, which makes sense. Sucks that Ian's shit keeps getting screwed over in the past few years though

twitter.com/tssznews/status/891509184814043137

They let Ian keep making OC's, so no I doubt that. Also Sonic Forces exist.

A "Sonic characters only" comic isn't sustainable over a long period of time with all the rules Sega has implementing their characters and games.