Greatest animated film

We need to have a discussion about the 2011 film Rango. The CGI here is incredibly detailed and well-animated, perhaps far greater than anything released since. The studio behind the feature (Industrial Light & Magic) have been at the forefront of CG animation and special effects since the very beginning, and they are responsible for virtually every major innovation and notable use of CG in films (see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Light_&_Magic#Filmography). Pixar and Modern Disney owe everything to these guys. By the way, Disney technically owns the studio after buying Star Wars from Lucas in late 2012. Are you holding out on the possibility that ILM ever makes another fully animated film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aXfeJgSILdg
desuarchive.org/co/
slimearcher.deviantart.com/art/Rango-Beans-bubble-cactus-vore-story-in-desc-683451197
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No replies? You disappoint me.

You should have been here in 2011 when Sup Forums wouldn't shut the fuck up about Rango

Good movie. I think I ended up in animation college because of it.
Managed to fuck the drawing tests or the interviews for most of the places I applied but at one place I ended up having a good conversation about this film with one of the lecturers: The animation style, how different to everything else it was, how I hoped films like this would get attention comparable to more traditional kid films like despicable me (another recent release at the time)... I had more hope back then.

welcome to 6 years ago, kid

The movie was terrible user and the characters don't look appealing at all combined with terrible humour only the CGI is decent

Fantastic movie.

Wrong on all accounts. Impressive.

There was no vivid or eventful discussion of this film when it was released. I guess you're too new to remember when generals weren't a particular common place here.

You accuse the film of not looking appealing, but admit the CG is decent. That seems like a contradiction. Personally, the character designs are fantastic. The grittier design is far more interesting and fitting than it would be for something more standard.

its fucking amazing, too bad it isn't Disney/Pixar because then its not a "real" movie or Sup Forums approved

The OST was godtier.

youtube.com/watch?v=aXfeJgSILdg

Zimmer is usually pretty good.

He is an overpaid hack.

So are these people the reason Strange Magic looks as good as it does? Because, damn, Strange Magic has some unfittingly good design, style, and overall visual execution compared to everything else about that movie.

Yes. ILM always does the best stuff. They usually provide the CG effects for the biggest budget films.

Yeah, this movie is great.
The characters are ugly but you kinda forget about that while watching because they're all well written, especially the villain and his Lee Van Cleef-stache

The fuck are you two on? We've had plenty of threads discussing how good it is.

They probably don't come here often
Just check the archives, you guys

Cool. Here is another one. Enjoy.

Archives don't even go back that far on this board.

Rattlesnake Jake is easily one of the best villain reveals in animation, maybe even one of the best in the Weatern genre too. They constantly reference him throughout the film and despite having nothing to do with the main plot for most of it you really get a feel of how impactful of a charter he is in the world they live in. Usually a problem many pieces of media suffer is when regularly raise the tension of a charter or event throughout the story, the actual end product is something somewhat disappointing because they tend to not live up to the audiences own imagination of grandeur. But Ratlesnake Jake manages to live up to the increasing tension. His design is simple but perfect for the setting and absolutely cool, the way he toward over everyone, the way he spoke, his rattle being the actual weapon it all fit so perfectly. He was just a snake but the impact he had when he was on screen the first time, he may as well have been a dragon.

>Weatern

I don't mean the official archive, but this one
desuarchive.org/co/

Yes, that was what I was referring to in the first place.

A fucking snake that towers over the entire cast with a fucking chaingun on its tail is more epic than a flying lizard.

Seriously, just this scene was worth my ticket, modern cartoons downplay the powers of guns alone so that bit was satisfying as fuck.

That snake was my husbando when this movie came out. Total badass.

So were the trees really moving on their own or wat? Is the armadillo an angel? Was Dirt Purgatory?

>So were the trees really moving on their own or wat?
Yes. I believe there actually are trees in real life that can "walk".

>Is the armadillo an angel? Was Dirt Purgatory?
Okay, that's dangerously close to youtube theory level.

>Villain
Wasn't he just doing his job in the end?

Beans was truly a once in a lifetime perfect storm of overlapping personal fetishes for me. I doubt I'll even get over her.

I love Rango, I watch it every now and then. It's been about a year since I lasted watched it so it's too soon, but it is a fantastic film. I originally saw it in theaters and when Clint Eastwood showed up I yelped like an idiot in front of my friends. Great times.

Don't forget to click subscribe and check out my patreon for more bonus videos.

He's an anti-hero. "One legend to another". The mayor is the actual villain (if you consider his motivations to be wrong).

I think the Armadillo is probably a more of a ghost than an angel. With his accent, lance, and facial hair, he's clearly meant to evoke an animal Don Quixote, who is the perfect spirit guide for Rango; like Rango, Don Quixote is a no-one who reinvents himself as the righteous hero of his own story, and believes it so fervently he's almost able to make it real, only to fail in the end. His guidance allows Rango to accomplish what he could not-- to actually grow into and become his new self, to be worthy of it. If Dirt is anybody's purgatory, it is the Armadillo's, but I don't imagine it's supposed to represent anybody else's afterlife.

I am ashamed of how hot I found Beans.

Love how the sign never actually falls; tore to hell, but just as he said, as long as it hung, law and order in Dirt.

i didn't like the movie very much. the main character living in a fantasy world to be a hero i felt was just intellectually lazy. i didn't feel like johnny depp's voice sounded any different than jack sparrow. honestly the only thing i liked about this movie was the villain.

>browse DA for weird rango fanart to shitpost with
>slimearcher.deviantart.com/art/Rango-Beans-bubble-cactus-vore-story-in-desc-683451197

Honestly, I didn't know what I was expecting. I'll try to be a better person from now on.

solid classic

God damn Jake's voice acting was so on point.

rare case where Oscar award was justified