Stand-Alone titles for Kids recommendation

So I wanted to get two stand-alone comics for my twin brothers' 12. birthday and thought about getting stand alone titles.

Unfortunately, I haven't really read that many stand alone titles, especially ones suited for "kids".

What titles with a decent amount of pages (+100) would you guys recommend? The only title I can think of is Red Son. Stuff like Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum and Watchmen would probably not be kid friendly enough in my eyes.

Both Marvel and DC titles are appreciated

bump

Superman Strength

Superman Birthright

Superman Last Son

Superman For all Seasons

Superman (Rebirth) vol 1 Son of Superman

Get him some superman starter stories so he'll grow up the right way.

Also get him some Usagi Yojimbo. He'll love the hell out of Usagi Yojimbo.

For All Seasons, Red Son, Long Halloween, Spider-Man: Blue

I came to say this. Also Bone, or Monster Society of Evil from the same artist.

>Get him some superman starter stories so he'll grow up the right way.

It's actually two brothers so both get one comic each. I like Red Son because it gives an origin story and because it's an old-school Superman story (good always wins).

>Superman (Rebirth) vol 1 Son of Superman
>Superman Last Son

I don't really want to give them stories that are actually IN another series because if they want to read more, it's really hard to buy that stuff over here in Germany. Birthright seems like a good recommendation, never heard of Superman Strength for some reason.

Are there actually any good non-Joker Batman or Flash stand-alones?

great choice but I'd like to keep it mainstream due to my bros having never read a single comic before

Flash: Time Flies and Batman: Snow

Anyone read Batman: Gotham by Gaslight? Would that be a good choice?

don't do that, kids will be bored

Thor: God of Thunder is a lot of fun.

Already considered that one but there's nowhere a collection to be found (in German that is)

The Wally in Wonderland arc of the Flash is fun and pretty easy to get into; it was actually the first comic I ever bought myself when I was just a bit older than your brothers, and I had no problem understanding what was happening.

Gotham Academy is a really fun all ages book, so the first volume of it might be good. The only thing I'd consider is if your brothers would mind reading about a female protagonist.

Flash Time Flies is awesome but unfortunately too short. Apparently, there's no proper Flash stand-alone that is +100/+150 pages as far as I can tell

just get the Age of Apocalypse omnibus, they can read it together and it was the most badass thing ever when I was 12

Morrison/Millar's

>Never heard of Superman Strength

It's very good but very obscure. It's by Scott McCloud. If you're in Germany you might not be able to find a translation.

And Last Son is pretty self contained if you're worried about them feeling

Bone's pretty mainstream. Also incredibly good. Shazam Monster Society of Evil is probably the best introduction to Captain Marvel to give to a new reader. They're great choices.

>Batman and Flash stand alones

Batman Venom is a personal favorite of mine.

Can't find it anywhere but maybe I can get it digitally

>The only thing I'd consider is if your brothers would mind reading about a female protagonist.

I think they're too young to give a shit about that. Problem is, Academy isn't a stand-alone title, at least not one that can be bought in a complete collection

I would love to get an Omnibus for them but that shit is either way too expensive (above 200€) or there's no German version available. I would especially love to get an X-Men omnibus since I love the X-Men but there's nothing

>tfw can't give the little shits Silver Surfer Requiem because they would call it boring and stop reading after four pages

>If you're in Germany you might not be able to find a translation

yeah, unfortunately that's the case

>Shazam Monster Society of Evil is probably the best introduction to Captain Marvel to give to a new reader

how I would love to read a Batman Year One type of Shazam story. Why the fuck hasn't a mainstream focused stand-alone of Shazam not been made yet?

Thank you all for making great recommendations by the way

Superman/Shazam First Thunder is a pretty great introduction to both characters.

that stuff is stupid
12 year olds want action and cool shit, not cutesy
Pick up Millar's Ultimates/2, that should be translated everywhere

I really don't see anything suitable in that pic except for First Thunder

as much as I'd like to introduce them to the Ultimate Universe (which I will somewhere down the line), I think it's wrong to start with Ultimates/2. I was contemplating getting them started with Ultimate Spider-Man and X-Men first

Ultimate X-Men is a good start, but most 12 year old boys might be put off by USM lack of fights

>That stuff is stupid

>Recommending Ultimates

No user. Just no.

Also seconding the Usagi Yojimbo recommendation. I gave some trades to my nephews and they can't get enough of it.

Oh, if you just wanted capeshit you could have said that.

TMNT is way more appropriate for that age than Usagi

>Millar's Ultimates

Expect them to ask who the fuck Freddie Prince Jr is and what the fuck Ipods are. It shows it's age.

Also ultraviolence. But if you're fine with giving your 12 year old bros ultraviolence go for it. You might as well give them Authority at that point.

(And you should. 12 year old boys love Authority if you can sneak it by their parents)

I actually got hold of USM comics on vacation when I was literally their age. I loved that shit so much even though I started at issue 5-10

>Usagi Yojimbo

as much as I'd like them to read that, like I said before, I really want to keep it mainstream, meaning heroes they already know

>user's brothers are playing Avengers
>12 year old shouts HULK NOT GAY HULK STRAIGHT
>user's parents ask him what the fuck he gave them to read

Just give them Marvel Adventures user. It'll expose them to a lot of Marvel lore in few stories.

well, I don't want them to read some obscure stuff which would put them off reading comics forever. they have never had a comic till now so I want to give them something special to start with

so far, Red Son, The Dark Knight Returns, and Last Son of Krypton, and Spider-Man Blue are the ones that I am leaning toward the most

>ultra violence

I don't remember the Ultimate comics being THAT brutal though. I mean, I do remember Wolverine getting his head blown off by Gambit but that was actually quite funny

>Mainstream

Give them the Grant Morrison and Mark Millar Flash trade. They'll love Wally pulling off mega feats like beating death and moving faster than instant teleportation.

How would any of those put them off comics?

This looks very interesting. Can't find it in German yet though (what the fuck is up with German Amazon having jack shit when it comes to German comics?)

they shouldn't, that's the point. Red Son, TDKR etc. seem to be pretty nice introductions for boys their age

Bone. 1300 pages for about the cost of a DVD on Amazon. Best all-American comic in the past quarter century.

I meant the ones on the list, especially since Marvel Adventures was on there too.

He just wants capeshit user, not good comics

I didn't notice Marvel Adventures. The other stuff just didn't have the heroes I am looking for. It'd be nice if it was Superman, Batman, Flash, Spidey, X-Men, or something else that they know from watching TV

I'd love to give them that but I don't think that they would enjoy it as much as the book deserves to be enjoyed

pretty much this

I just don't understand why you don't want to give them actual good comics? Like if you think they're dumb just buy em fidget spinners or Minecraft gift cards.

kids want fun things not "good"

12 year olds are dumb all they care about is jacking off and trying to be cool in front of other 12 year olds

it's not as much about not wanting to give them actual good comics, which I think Red Son and TDKR are, but more about introducing them to the medium in general. Would you let your kid watch Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption or The Godfather when you can slowly introduce them to movies with something more fitting and fun?

Bone is fun
The Marvel Oz books are fun
Doug Tenapple books are fun
Atomic Robo is fun
No, but I would give them actual good fun things.

>Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption or The Godfather
Are Bone, Usagi Yojimbo, Monster Society of Evil, Marvel Adventures, First Thunder, Duck Comics, the DCAU comics, etc. not fun? You pretend like all of those are serious, dramatic fare like Citizen Kane. They are not.

I'd get Loeb's Superman/Batman, which have been collected into two volumes

I didn't list Marvel Adventures, Monster Society, and First Thunder because I couldn't find them. I was rather talking about Bone and Usagi Yojimbo, of which I would actually consider Usagi if it had a proper collection I could get

I love Spiderman Blue, but it might be too lovey dovey for 12 year olds.I'm going to reccomend
>Superman Birthright
>Superman Last Son
>Batman Hush
>Batman Black Mirror
>Daredevil Man Without Fear

fun if your a pussy
12 year old boys like guns, fighting, explosions, and boobs

I can see you haven't aged past 12 years old

Again, those kinds of kids are going to hate getting any kind of comics

Are there translations of the Marvel Season One series of books? I think those would be great to get kids started. X-Men Season One is fun, has tons of action, and is straightforward enough for kids.