The Doom Casting Problem

Who do you cast here? In the books he's a gypsy, but is drawn as Slavic. Do you cast someone who looks like the 616 version, or someone who looks like a real life gypsy i.e. brown? Do you just change the origin and make him a proper Latverian? I imagine he's not well-known enough for the Tumblrinas' "whitewashing" screams to have any impact.

If we're being realistic, only a seasoned Brit could portray Doom rightfully, considering he's a very poetic/theatrical character. Maybe go the Ultimate route or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_Americans
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No one cares. 15 SJWs on twitter and 15 retards from Sup Forums will complain no matter what and no one will care so stop making stupid threads.

I don't know but his costume better have some fur.

I didn't know gypsies still existed in the 21 century.
I thought they were something that went away with the middle ages like knights and dragons.

There's no problem. He uses a fucking mask all the time, he could be asian without any problem.

this

If you're gonna make a solo flick, you still need scenes of him Pre-DOOM.

Nah, there're still here. They steal, kill, and generally make life hell for Estern Europe, while looking like inbred trolls.

>Implying any actor (except karl urban) would consent to spending an entire movie in a mask

>I didn't know gypsies still existed in the 21 century.

Gypsies are all over Europe. The politically correct term is 'Roma'. They are descended from Indian untouchables who migrated out of India and created a nomadic culture in Europe. They face a lot of racial discrimination as most Europeans absolutely hate them. They don't really mix with outsiders because they are very racist themselves and hate everyone who isn't a Gypsy.

I hope most of it is pre-Doom desu
His younger years is something that Hawley would be amazing at telling

Casting is more TV's thing, but from my completely ignorant about casting perspective, I would go with dominating presence first, over everything else. He needs to read as "european" to an american audience, which given our sense of geography can mean fucking spain.

>>, or someone who looks like a real life gypsy i.e. brown?
There are white roma. Sometimes the result of stealing children or sperm.

>If we're being realistic, only a seasoned Brit could portray Doom rightfully, considering he's a very poetic/theatrical character.
James Earl Jones as darth vader doing voiceover was the first thing that came to my mind.

>> I imagine he's not well-known enough for the Tumblrinas' "whitewashing" screams to have any impact.

Not all Gypsy's are brown retard, same as how not all Africans are black

If they tried being productive members of society instead of taking the grants and then stealing our shit, we wouldn't hate them.

Latverian Gypsies are obviously Roma, which means they are all brown. Roma are a distinct ethnic group, not just random Eastern Europeans who live in caravans.
On the other hand that means it's easy to cast them. Any pale North Indian could pass as a Gypsy, Bollywood has thousands of actors and actresses who could do it.

The "OG Nomads" are. The ones who married locals became regular citizens. And Doom's supposed to be part of those nomads, so...

Either way, I don't think they'll take that road. He'll be a normal Latverian with a gypsy grandmother or something. The whole 616 origin hinges on an AMERICAN SCOUT looking for bright young minds in the FUCKING GYPSY CAMPS OF AN EASTERN EUROPEAN COUNTRY. That's more unrealistic than Independence Day becoming real next year...

Gypsy isn't a race, not in this case. They are merely nomads with no nation, cast out by Latveria's Baron. They're still Romani.

>Latveria's Baron
How the fuck is this gonna work in today's world? Eastern Europe barely has governments, much less Barons and Kings.

It's fiction. Even if you don't include the Baron Doom would still be a monarch.

Barring any flashbacks to his college days, he should be wearing his mask at all times. It ultimately doesn't matter as long as the person can act.

>I hope most of it is pre-Doom desu
I hope not. His origin is lame and people would laugh at him.

>Builds a soul-rescuer machine while in college.
>"Victor, your math is wrong! It will blow in your face!"
>It blows in his face.
>Get mad at the guy that tried to warn him.
>Forges a mask and puts it on his face while is still hot-as-fuck, ruining his own face even more.
I could see "The Three Stooges" doing something like this.

You cast a stuntman and give him a voiceover ala Darth Vader

No one needs to see his face

How do you tell his college story without Ben and Reed, though? Without that, all you're left with is his youth with his mother teaching him magic (or if you want to go the Ultimate route, with his dad teaching him about his family heritage) or his trek up the mountains to find a cure for his scar which would just be too derivative of Dr. Strange.

So Doug Jones, or Andy Serkis as Doom.
Or, if Fox really wants to troll fans, all is lost, and Doom takes off his mask to reveal John Cena

Have him always wear the mask and then do it like Vader with someone acting him and someone else voicing him. Preferably BRIAN BLESSED does the voice.

t. people that are not Hawley

I see a fairly interesting story in him learning magic and science, losing his parents then trying to survive on the streets using what he learned. Maybe getting to deal with a gang in his way.
Later making into colleague and trying to build his machine while everyone keeps fucking with him because he's a poor gypsy and his ideas are ridiculous, until they get fucked hard back.
Add some surreal travel into the after life until the machine fails and see him deal with his failures.

Dunno, seems interesting to me, but I suppose that's not what most people want to see.

>I imagine he's not well-known enough for the Tumblrinas' "whitewashing" screams to have any impact.

He's the biggest baddie in the Marvel Universe, he's pretty well known. Then again, SJWs seem offended that a bad guy is a gyspy.

Latveria was a barony absorbed by the Austro-Hungarian Empire until it became an independent nation following WW1; after a brief existence it was absorbed into the Soviet Union until the early 90s. Following the collapse of the Soviet Union it was in a situation similar to Belarus until a civil war overthrew it's dictator and Doom installed himself on the throne. Doom takes the title of baron claiming direct relation to the ruling family of the old Barony of Latveria.

Victor theorizes that he can detect other dimensions, Professors dismiss him. He makes the machine, Reed tells him he shouldn't be doing experiments outside class as they are illegal, thinks Reed is like the teachers and ignores him. Eventually the machine works and he manages to see other dimensions, but that's all, he's only seeing it. Something feels him watching. A gigantic shadowy figure. It looks right at him and starts to laugh, the machine explodes.

Americans think that gypsies are mystical fictional creatures from European folklore like leprechauns or witches. Actual gypsies would astound them.
Like this guy here.

The machine can't work.

Not just in euro land user
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_Americans