RWBY

Why does everyone hate RWBY so much? I'm 2 seasons in and outside of the awkward animation (which gets better overtime), this really doesn't seem all that bad. No spoilers pls.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're right before the point where fight animation quality falls off a cliff, which means the only thing the show has to hang its hat on is the actual writing.

Its the perfect storm to trigger hardcore weaboos.

It's western made and being a site that leans towards eastern media and primarily being created by and for weebs, it's going to distance people.

People like to complain about cartoons that aren't familiar to them.

It's popular among certain outward circles, so people desire to take the contrarian approach towards something they otherwise wouldn't care about.

It's faux-anime, and being on an anime-centric site, people are more likely to prefer the "real thing" over a lower quality bootleg. This also hurts it when being discussed on a cartoon-centric board.

The awkward animation makes it easy to single out certain parts, which aid in circlejerking over it's quality or lack-thereof.

It's honestly not that great if you don't fall in love with it, being hurt by it's less than stellar writing and a lot of parts of it being taken from things that have likely done it better.

>Why does everyone hate RWBY so much?
It's anime and has worst waifus.

I'm pretty sure that every problem I have with the series would be fixed if they changed to four or five half hour episodes each season instead of two or three decently made fifteen minute episodes and a handful of poorly made garbage.

I don't understand why it has such a huge, dedicated fanbase. Maybe I just can't accept that so many people can have such shit taste or can be that blind to such glaring flaws.

Trash animation, trash story, trash music, trash voice acting, and trash company.

There are three possible reasons to like it
>RT fangay
>waifus
>le epic action

Also, Monty and crew had a shit taste in anime

I like it but I acknowledge it is absolute garbage

>inb4 "BUT MUH JAPAN IT WAS MADE IN DA US SO IT DON'T COUNT"

So, that means avatar is also anime then? Just about everything is animated in Korea anyways, so I don't even see why this matters.

I stopped watching after the dance episode. The only reason I watched the show til then was because of the early teasers. you can tell that after the 3rd squad of people they introduced they were running out of gun/melee combo weapons. I feel that since they considered themselves anime aficionados they could have subverted the cliches that makes some anime unbearable in the west, i.e.
>super-strong independent woman longs desperatly for pathetic but good-hearted dumbass
>stupid dumbass is weak with hints of greater power
>MC comes from an extremely important lineage
>adults are either evil or to busy to actually help
>tournament arc

I guess I was hoping for more of a Soul Eater meets Xmen evolution type of thing. Can anyone say if it picked up after I dropped out?

>anime aficionados
The earliest indicators that this would be bad were the type of anime Monty had people watch for "homework". All really flash-in-the-pan, surface level shit.

Whenever it was brought up, the other staff treated them like they had lived in Japan for 10 years.

As someone who's enjoyed RT and anime, I don't understand the appeal of this. Western-made anime has a nice ring to it, but the fact that this has gotten as popular as it is, despite its abysmal animation, voice acting and characterization, is a little insulting

I don't really care that people enjoy it, I'm more concerned that it's more popular than it should be, considering its quality. At the end of the day, there's worse shit out there though

It's alright. Haven't kept up with it since volume 3 but the music and action has usually been good enough to warrant it's existence so I don't have much to complain about.

i just wish they would stop spreading themselves so thin. They need to cancel a few of their other shows like that chibi shit and focus their time and money on making RWBY a better show.

This. It hurts me how little people care about even reaching bare competence in storytelling and it disgusts me that RWBY is considered "good" fight choreography just because the characters flip around a lot.

Can you give some examples of his examples?

Pyrrha turned out to be emotionally self destructive to the point of going off to kill herself.

Jaune not being the strongest has actually resulted in him not having as much baggage as everyone else.

Ruby's family is a splintered fucked mess.

It's not well written but it veers off cliché rapidly. Ironically though people like it for the cliché it seemed like.

>Ironically though people like it for the cliché it seemed like.

This is true for me. Anime jokes in English brings a whole new level of cringe and enjoyment for me. I finally understood what the cool kids mean by liking something ironically now.

They hate it because there's not much to like

The Pyrrha Jaune scenario actually went off the rails in a surprisingly unique way.

People still ship it as the strong girl weak boy dynamic even though it's now revealed to be mentally ill girl wanted dependable boy.

yeah its super cliche, but with it seems to be spinning them on their head. some people were expecting a total happy go lucky anime super teens, only for them to fail to see the warning signs like the into. these are the people who gave up on gurren lagaan early and fail to see the point. they REALLY wanted chibi rwby.

also interesting, jaune is experiencing a healthy grieving process while ruby keeps it all inside. she has nightmares about pyhrras death and hasnt talked to anyone about it. ether due to wanting to keep the groups spirits up, or due to the fact she is an emotionally stunted teen-child that only became a hunter to be like her idolized mom. even though shes all like ew boys, she thinks the life of a hunter is romantic and all that.

so you guys are saying it picks up

Season 4 feels like practically a different show from season 1. Whether that's good or bad is debatable.

Not really. It just isn't a cliché fest.

You thinking Pyrrha turned out to be a strong independent woman was just really wrong.

RWBY is an anime, but without actual Japanese people involved. I'm not a big fan of anime, especially ones like RWBY, where the writers revel in how RWBY instills very common anime story elements, but done more poorly.

it does get better. rooster teeth even had a lengthy warning before volume 4 finale.

also Think of volume 1, 2 , and 3 as a single season rather than each a whole season. i feel they are too short and narrow to look as standalone seasons. RT rwby team may be more determined since montys passing, but they still not a completely animation studio. maybe when RWBY starts paying most of the bills. i mean we have a (good) rwby game coming and its poplar in japan so far.

ah i meant volume 3 finale

Any show on Sup Forums that requires its own general tends to have a shit fanbase.
Hatred for fanbases often spills over into hatred for the show.

That being said, the show has its fair share of problems, and I say that as a fan. The writing, which has improved over time, isn't the greatest. And with Monty gone, the fight choreography has taken a massive blow, which is a shame, because it's the one thing that the show was able to do better than other shows.

The best I can describe the appeal it holds for me is that it has elements to it that are really cool and that you want to see, and while they aren't executed in the best possible way, it has a way of growing on you over time.

I started out hating it and finding it super cringey. Then I got into the fights and the soundtrack. Then I gradually started watching it despite the cringiness, and it became a guilty pleasure.
I mentioned it was a guilty pleasure of mine to my sis, who also found it super cringey and dumb when I showed it to her. Then eventually, she said she really got into the soundtrack. Then she checked out some eps. Then one day, she told me she ended up marathoning it overnight and becoming a fan, and now it's another thing we're able to bond over.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

It wouldn't be so popular if RT and Monty weren't involved. RT is well-known by people of the YT community, so any project they advertise is going to do well. Most fans of Monty's work only watched it for the action.

Also, you're really overestimating the general public's taste. I couldn't believe SAO, Accel World and Transformers were so popular to mainstream audiences when all these works had was flashy designs/music.

SAO had terrible characters, a horrible plot, numerous inconsistencies, just terrible dialogue, and awful game mechanics that only benefited a select exclusive few, yet it's still one of the most popular anime out there.

Go post a thread on Sup Forums and see what happens

I've watched EVERYTHING, and I genuinely bet not a single one of you fags can point to a moment that you'd call an genuine 10/10 moment (compared to your favorite show).

>Also, you're really overestimating the general public's taste
Agreed. I decided to check out some eps of Fairy Tale, as I heard Michael had a voice role and I was interested to see it. It actually managed to give me some degree of appreciation for RWBY's writing.

It's beyond me how anyone liked Fairy Tail. Especially the people who argue over whose the best looking girl in the show, when they all look the same from the neck down.

RBWY has better writing than SAO too.

not much of an acomplishment

It desperately wants to be anime, but all of the ways it tries to accomplish that are just the surface level things you see in a fotm anime that gets forgotten about, not the type of things you'll see in actually decent anime. On top of this, the piss-quality animation takes away any charm this would have given it.

It comes from a popular company with a dedicated fanbase, but it still relatively niche enough (being a bastardized anime) that you aren't really going to find people who don't like it, because only the people who would have liked it sought it out in the first place.

For the first 2 seasons at least, the pacing and characterization is abysmal. There was really no reason to go with episodes that very from 4-15 minutes in length, and as a result you don't really get enough info on what's going on, and then things get super serious way too fast. They also don't really bother to develop characters unless it's the focal point of what's going on.

The character designs are actually pretty good, but they introduce too many characters and it becomes harder and harder to care about them. Also, for some reason everyone's weapon is also a gun, which gets old imo.

The only element that was ever actually good was the fight coreography and Monty died so I assume that went to complete shit to go along with the mediocre writing and voicing and god fucking awful terrible animation holy shit how can a professional company feel okay with putting out content that bad.

RWBY is self aware and genre savy, whereas KittyToe adventures is not in the slightest. look up the shit that was in the LN to see its shit unfiltered.

I can't be arsed but you made me curious, how bad is it?

>since they considered themselves anime aficionados
Do they really? Didn't Monty make everyone involved watch shit like fucking Evangelion and FLCL? How can someone possibly consider themselves an aficionado when they haven't even seen those two?

The show went to shit after season one because that slanty eyed boob magician died

>RT fangay

Your mistake is thinking they're a professional company.

Post milfs

the only major hate i see are some on Sup Forums and they want to tell you how much they hate it like it's a big accomplishment

Just a $100,000 labor of love

warning: SAO as a LN was written by a 14 year old.

remember how he turned into a girl in the anime? Trans. kittytoe is a girl in a boys body. remember that comment about GGO scanning your brain and printing out your "true self"? or some bullshit.

RWBY's unique and niche enough that chances are, you only see it if you already know it's something you'll be interested in.
But it's not just Sup Forums. I remember someone tried to show the first couple episodes at anime club in high school and had to turn it off because everyone who wasn't already a fan was bored out of their minds.

Bullshit everyone always cites the anime s1 covered parts as the really terrible part and they are, but it's gets leaps and bounds better than RWBY much later but anime only will never get there.

Good idea! Raven is a cute bandit queen, and she has pillaged my heart

Winter's not even 25

seeRegardless of the image they're pushing they are by all legal and social definition a professional company.

thats not Winter its her mom

Reddit and Youtube also have its fair share of RWBY detractors, as it should because both communities dwarf image boards by a multitude. There are quite a few popular Youtube reviewers that aren't fans of RWBY and have posted videos criticizing it.

RWBY seems better if you consider that its a character driven show, not a plot driven show. It has good characters and character interaction. but weak and meandering plots.

you mean that edgy brony that makes 3 hour reviews nitpicking every moment of the show

are you defending kittytoe "oh boy better strip naked and go down this river i hope no silly boys are seeing this live streamed match to the death teehee" type of fanservice? because we have anti upskirt tech at best.

also DEATH GUN, hacking in real time to save my digital ai babby, DEX BUILD LMAO, imma best at sword art cause I PLAYED THE CLOSED BETA, badass cloak of edgelordian, and kitty toe being a transgender

Sort of.

I dropped it at one of the episodes centered around the school dance cause all the high school drama shit was making me cringe. This is when it was currently airing.

Then at EVO this year they announced a new Blaz Blue crossover game with RWBY characters so I decided to pick it up again to see if it got better or worse.

The season 2 finale wasn't bad so I kept watching. Turned out season 3 was a tournament arc and I'm a sucker for those so I kept watching. Sometime during season 3 it went from "why am I watching this?" to guilty pleasure.

So bad that the Abridged series is actually by far and away the superior version of experiencing it.

To keep things on topic though, RWBY isn't really that bad, but it's not exactly great either. There's a few moments of genuine quality (and V3 was unironically good), just enough to wade through the rest of its mediocrity.

>And with Monty gone, the fight choreography has taken a massive blow, which is a shame, because it's the one thing that the show was able to do better than other shows.

Does anyone think the fight choreography in the new short is an improvement?

youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0

weak

Fun size ice cream

it looks but guys will call it shit anyway to look cool

I liked it, but there were some awkward moments. Perhaps it's my autism speaking.

>she still has the v4 outfit
fucking shit

>bring her original outfit to Maya
>only use it for a flashback character short.
>have her keep the worst one
This is bugging me.

I just want weiss to get some light armor damnit, shes gonna be in mistral now, not fuckin cocktail parties.

It's very bad.

There's not much good about it, and even the fight scenes that people praise aren't that good. They'd be okay if it was just a one-person racket, but with a full crew the show just reeks of amateurism. Might I add that the fight scenes really drop off in quality after Monty bit the dust, so there goes that.

they're married to the pretty girl fighting thing. The most functional outfit that we'll ever see is Yang's, which also happens to be the best one

I mean I enjoy it, but hey whatever floats your boat. IMO the show has progressed leaps and bounds from where it started.

Yeah I know, just a pipe dream to see some actual armor in this show.

i watched it last weekend and i thought it was okay, RWBY chibi too is fun its just time filler dont need to read too deep into it. is the show entertaining yeah, Could it be better sure, its like the new voltron,

Won't happen.
Monty's entire thing was to make the outfits for the girls as easy to cosplay as possible.

It's not really that great.
Go back to the original White trailer and look at the way she moves.

They made her twirl here and there to try and emulate what Monty did, but he was able to give her a fully realized fighting style that pretty seamlessly made it seem like she was both fighting and dancing.

A number of the post-Monty fights with Weiss have her doing a lot of generic anime zipping around super fast in lieu of actual choreography, particularly in the late vol 3 fights during the fall of Beacon.

The choreography in the original Red, White, Black, and Yellow trailers blow everything we've gotten in both vol 3 and 4 out of the water.

>Weiss
>Fully realized fighting style
No she didn't.

That looks fucking terrifying. Eyes man.

Not as good as Monty's stuff, but still looks better than volume 4 fights.

It doesn't deliver on this themes nor does it explore an interesting idea. Its does nothing new and what it does do has been done better elsewhere.
Worst of all is the fans, who broadly speaking, don't acknowledge its flaws

Are you kidding me. the commnunity was constantly complaining about the drop in fight quality that happened in volumes 3 and 4, plenty of fans acknowledge the faults the show has. As for the interesting Idea I disagree, I find the world that RWBY takes place in very interesting and the show is now taking us around more of it.

Qrow's fight was more impressive.

Qrow's vol 4 fight was actually better than his vol 3 fight with Winter, which was super awkward. They were just kind of zipping and flying around without any actual technique.

Is this show still popular in Japan, or did they turn on it when the show went dark?

To be fair, this was a flashback from before even the original white trailer, so weiss' movements were probably affected by the fact that this was way earlier in her training.

His V4 fight looked okay, but what actually happened in it was dumb.

>Oh god I'm winning
>Time to stand here and let calmly walk up and punch me

I'd say it's still relatively popular.

Getting bigger actually. They just started broadcasting the Japanese dub on TV over there.

The scythe-throw-landing-thing was fuckin smooth tho.

unsurprising, given the japs' irredeemably atrocious taste

>spammed on Sup Forums
>horrible animation
>old fans hating the new animation
>"not Anime"
>community worse than SU or on par
>ironic weebs/babby first anime
>tumblr audience
>any discussion/thread will draw tripfags
>RWBYg is just a subreddit now
>the most casual shit
take ur pic

>RWBYg is a subreddit now
They're having a meltdown over gay posting over there.

aside from horrible animation, every other thing you posted is concentrated autism

>tumblr audience