Why is Marvel's "Diversity" so cheap?

Not a b8 thread, honest. It's just that I've noticed that Marvel's diversity isn't real diversity. It's a cheap gimmick, and I'm not just talking about the swapping of names and titles. I'm talking about their tactic, which is:

>take white, male American
>change the gender and color of American

Why is this praised? Why is everyone still an American? Why is everyone set in NY? If you want to be diverse and represent the world, why are you not replacing the Americans with Europeans? Or Asians? Or Middle-Easterns? But PROPER Euros, Asians, MEs, not Americans with ancestry.

Why can't the new Hulk be a Swedish scientist who was working at CERN? Why can't the new Iron Man be a kid from India who got a scholarship at Stark Industries? Why can't the new Doctor Strange be a guy from Greece who turned to magic after an accident or something?

Obviously I'm not endorsing the "kill off the hero, give his name away", but I'm curious why diversity means just Black Americans. It's just a coat of paint and nothing more.

And hell, Marvel's "diverse" characters were always racist caricatures. All Eastern Europeans are gypsies persecuted by the evil natives. Most Asians have something to do with tech or honor. Russians speak broken english. Compare that with DC, who's doing much better at creating actual characters.

So, what gives? Pic's just random.

cancelling Silk, Ghost Rider and Nova is weird to counter-intuitive when those are the only good minority characters they have

They've had good minority characters forever. Hell the runaways alone have an Asian, a gay, a black, a spic and a mutant

Because the Marvel Universe is 98.95% New York City.

Runaways suck though
GenX and Avengers Academy/Initiative though
plus Sam, Cindy and Robbie are great

Here's the thing I think you're missing. The big diversity "push" people are chattering about online? It's not just shallow, it's bullshit. It's a smokescreen.

Look at Marvel's big crossover event right now, Secret Empire. This is the miniseries you're "supposed" to be reading if you want the Big Deal Events happening in the Marvel universe right now. Who are the main characters, who's central to the storyline and who gets all the characterization scenes? It's Steve Rogers, an A.I that for all intents and purposes might as well be Tony Stark, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Falcon. To a lesser extent Bruce Banner, Odinson (the original Thor) get supporting roles. The only all-new all-diverse character who's important to the story is Miles Morales. Riri the "new Iron Man?" has like three lines in five issues. Captain Marvel is written out in issue one. Jane Foster the female Thor doesn't appear at all.

If you want the all-new all-diverse characters you have to look in their own titles. The Big Events still center around the same old guys who've been around for 50 years.

I think diversity characters handle in a wrong way. They should get their own (1) book and allow people enjoy them in their own book.

I think bendis needs to stop writing so much characters.

It's bad writing. A good writer would do as you said: make diversity a part of the character, not just a superficial gimmick, as Yang's doing with New Super Man.

But there are next to no good writers left at Marvel. And the good ones don't sell.

>Runaways suck though

There have been like 4 WHY MARVEL threads in the last few hours. This could be in one of them.

t. someone who buys no Marvel comics and wishes a shitty company took up less of the board

Maybe someone really hates marvel and want other people to hate it too.

I sure fucking hope that the mod who allows up to five of these constantly reposted slander threads every single night understands that their complicity in this concerted effort to defame the reputation and harm the business of Marvel comics constitutes a criminal facilitation under the statutes of federal law.

>liking BKV

Why is that art so bad?
>Spider-Man looks like an bootleg stock image.
>Marvel looks bored.
>Rocket is the best image, but suffers the same as Spider-Man.
>Black Bolt looks like someone cucked him again and ran over Lockjaw.
>Widow is okay.
>Deadpool is there.
>Cap looks like someone you would hire for a 4 year old's birthday party and with a cheap Rubies costume.
>Panther looks like a fucking child.
>Logan looks like an angry leprechaun.

>marvel
>why is that art so bad?
you're funny

>Why is Marvel's "Diversity" so cheap?

Because it's only skin deep.

Cassady hadn't had to work in years. Its a real shame to see him fall from the heights he reached in Planetary.

>a once good writer is now bad so now he was never good

>Why is Marvel's "Diversity" so cheap?

Because diversity for the sake of diversity is always shallow and only ends with people getting bored, disinterested or offended by it.

Diversity is not the issue because DC has done it with legacy characters before. Those who are whining about diversity are ignorant, just as bad as those pushing it. It is the fact Marvel did a piss poor job of implementing these legacy characters. Compare the Question to someone like Riri. Years of build up with a good conclusion with the question as opposed to a few months with Riri. There is a reason why Cho (with the exception of OP) is one of the few legacy characters people do not bitch about, because he became a staple of the Hulk family and we got to know him as a character.

Marvel dropped the ball on bringing in and changing the characters, not because a character is female or fucking black. If that is someone's main complaint they are too fucking childish to be reading capeshit; which is really fucking childish.

You know, whenever something gets majorly popular, you always get THOSE people into the fanbase. You know, the ones who say "When are we going to find out what happened in Buddapest?" The same people who don't get that Barb died in Stranger Things. The people who watch only the popular things people talk about and don't get the mechanics of said franchises.

The moment Avengers hit, everyone had their opinions on how comics should be. Oh, but they don't read comics. Reading comics would take work. Why search out obscure characters to push to prominence when you can make Marvel bring those characters to you! Who cares about Anole, Karma or Northstar when they can change Iceman gay in the book you're already reading?

God, I'm so sick of this stagnation in all media.

>Those who are whining about diversity are ignorant,

It's not ignorant when the popular definition of 'diversity' is not the same as the actual definition. To popular culture; Diversity = more black people.

Because of this, we get this empty, skin deep diversity that lacks relevance but consumes the entire plot of the narrative(s) without any rhyme or reason. Not only do they fail at making the narrative more than skin deep, but they also fail to make the characters have actual personality, they end up just the same mouth piece with a different skin, and a uniform they stole from existing characters.

You CANNOT say that people complaining about the current diversity are ignorant.

I think you're almost there. The problem is that Marvel introduces the replacements before we actually know who the replacement is. For example, did we really get to know Riri before she was announced as Iron Man and the smartest character ever? It's the same reason why nobody gave a shit about Miles/Spider-Gwen, because we're shown them kissing before we get to see how they interact.
And right now? Marvel has no idea how to tell a proper story. Pacing is rushed, things just happened, and there's always an air of "If you don't like it? DEAL WITH IT!" with all their decisions, and yet the books just keep making less and less sense as they go forward. It's as if these writers were told to make a documentary about Ancient Greece, and nobody bothered to research. They'd claim that Rome was located in the country, that vikings were in the northern region, and China was next door. The rules of the universe are just breaking continually, and it just makes everything feel more phony.

It's why I can't enjoy their Star Wars comics. You mean to tell me that all these zany adventures happened between Episodes 4 and 5? Han Solo pilots an AT-AT and tries to squish Vader? All the cast gets lightsabers? This plucky female archaeologist worked with Vader with her own C-3PO, R2-D2 and Chewbacca clones?

After a while, it all just feels really fucking stupid, and it's praised because diversity/zaniness. It just doesn't feel cohesive anymore.

Sup Star Trek Discovery

"We've got a black girl with a male name and a open homosexual." Diversity!

why is diversity & comics keeps on making the same stupid thread

you want to know why?
Because it is about diversity for the sake of diversity. Reason why it's so bad is because they are creating characters like you would with a Sonic OC. Everything is the same but my new OC is the center of attention.
If they want to make diverse characters they have to go back to square 1.
Make new characters, make new villians for that characters, not have other marvel characters sucking the new characters dick every five seconds.
This whole diverse thing would seem like a facade but these writers actually believe they are doing the right thing.

Basically these movements spits in the face of actual diversity by making exceptions to the diversity status quo of equality. Trying to make then better than their white male counter parts because their white is just as bad as making white males superior to others because they are white males.
It's just hypocrisy because they have a chip on their shoulder.

The Core Comic book readers are loyal, don't like change very much or for no good reason and sink enormous amounts of money into comics. They don't like being insulted, or belittled, or made to feel unappreciated after the years of dedication they've given to keep this industry affloat basically by themselves. Marvel and DC hopped on the SJW diveristy virtue signalling bandwagon hoping to expand their readerbase, but they only started catering to people who surprise! Don't buy comics, and never will buy comics. It's not that people have a problem with diversity or change so much as they dont like hamfisted virtue signalling and shoehorning new characters in by tearing down the things they love. They alienated droves of loyal readers with the bullshit like making Wally West, a Ginger, Black for no good reason. By replacing Thor with Jane Foster, insulting Thor, completely misrepresenting several characters in the process, while stealing the man's god damn Birthname. They didn't like making Ice man gay for no reason, they didnt like changing things that have no reason to be changed. Without any attempt at having it make sense. It's too much, it's too insulting and to top it all off they constantly belittled their audience to do this in some smug meta self righteousness that they think is funny, but the target of their basically bullying their own audience doesnt.These people have had enough shit thrown at them in their daily lives to they do not want to read about that shit when they get into escapism too.

I think some user claimed they are cancelling Gwenpool because by their logic readers of her will migrate to Squirrel Girl, Elektra and other garbage

>cancelling Silk, Ghost Rider and Nova is weird to counter-intuitive
Didn't they all sell poorly? Also SamNova was shit until the previous run so it's nothing of value lost there.

I didn't read silk, but her creation was fucking retarded. Better than spiderman in every way, bitten by the same spider, and was sealed away to train her powers, and they wanna fuck eachother because spider hormones that only work with peter. Big surprise it was a twilight style OC character. Fuck slott and his lazy writing.

Runaways is the only BKV comic I've read that I didn't like.

I love everything else the man has written, but Runaways was the most arduous obstacle to read.

also you take out of a spiderman book and voila... none care enough to read about her

See kids, this is how you shitpost.

Because DCs is even cheaper so they don't put effort into trying harder then they have to

>Why is everyone still an American?

Readers do not give two fucks about non-american characters.
They used to be able to get away with some canadians or brits but now even that doesn't sell.

I never got what was supposed to be inherently good about "diversity". I mean on one hand they say we're all one people but in the same breath claim that we all have completely alien ways of life by virtue of being "diverse".

Logically (in American comics) it should be about

>62% whites
>17% latinos
>13% blacks
>6% asians

Blacks are usually over represented and Latinos/Asians are grossly underrepresented

when you buy a comic you expect white heroes, whoever buys comics is what is used it to be and JSW do not buy comics so the "diversity approach" will not bring new readers and with luck will only be appreciated by a small percentage of the people that actually buy comics while a big percentage will not care and and another small percentage will hate it.

To this point there is no problem. But what happened when instead of create new diversity characters or evolve secondary ones you change the main heroes of the comics? Readers piss off because you change what they like and used to. Not because they are now diversity characters, not even because they change it is because you change them for a "extra comic" reason.
Comic characters change, comic readers are used to it, spiderman gets his black suit, batman changes robins, proffesor x changes x-men, superman gets married, etc. but more or less are ideas or changes that comes from their own stories....but this diversity changes the readers can feel that are changes only for pandering.

So you had a small percentage that already hated diversity. Now you had a percentage of the big one that did not care that now are piss off because of the diversity changes for the sake of diversity alone and feel that you are shitting on their characters...fuck even some of the people that used to like diversity now are discontent, some because the new diversity displace the old ones and some because they want diversity character with meaning.

So by your logic, the Justice League should have the Trinity be the only full white people with an half white/half asian Flash, Cyborg, a latino GL, and a white/latino/indian Aquaman

>Main Trinity
>Green Lantern is Hispanic
>Green Lantern is a Muslim
>Flash
>Cyborg
>Aquaman
You're kinda more right than you intended being, user

Foreign actors with weird accents aren't marketable as lead characters for the MCU. Keeping everything in New York makes it easier to film all the Avengers in one place.

They sell poorly because Marvel doesn't go out of its way to advertise or promote those books. At the end of the day you can have as many diversity books as you want but if people don't even know they exist then what's the point? You're just giving people more fuel to justify why we shouldn't have more well written diversity books.

WW is greek or mediterranean and some people say that is not white...is she a minority character?

All bait and shit aside, there's two mayor problems marvel has

1. The Perlmutter-choosen corporate brass does not give a flying fuck about the company and only cares about milking any potential profit from it.

2. The editor staff has been almost entirely purged and replaced by 20 somethings from New York who couldn't care less about the company's integrity. In fact they are only interested in scoring brownie points in their social clique by virtue signalling the comics and talking about it on social media

Combine these two and you end up with a combination of shitty not cared for events pushed by the brass so Marvel makes a quick buck at the expense of the brand and many comics that nobody in the company really cares for, where the editor staff takes into account that nobody in the company cares and paints these comics with a layer of social media bullshit that both writers and editors use to stroke their ego and get their back patted.

Since thier social clique is the PC outrage crowd you end up with a faux diversity push that's essentially "whatever minority works at San Francisco and New York City" where everyone is instantly American even if they come from a compeltely different culture, and nobody ever sees American culture as anything other than the universal standard every nation should strive for

When people complain that their comics are retarded, their shitty clique jumps at the editor's defense making dozen of news articles defaming any criticism and silencing the opposition. This puts the editors in a feedback loop where they think they are always in the right.

Essentially, there's a subset of Marvel that uses the company for their personal benefit and holds the brand hostage using diversity as a shield.

The worst thing is that nobody in the company cares enough to stop it, the heaviest artists are completely into the social clique or are raging divas like Bendis, and the brass couldn't care less.

>some people say that is not white
Those people have a narrow view on what is white Wonder Woman is white as the clay she was made from.

There are two camps: The Sup Forumsacks who think that anyone who's not Nordic isn't white, and the Tumblrinas who think that Ancient Greeks were black, so Wonder Woman should be black as well.

Both are equally ridiculous user.

>I think bendis needs to stop writing so much characters.

I think bendis needs to stop writing.

Sales aren't indicative of quality of a book. Nova was spectacular and Silk was pretty consistent in quality (Ford's art is horrendous, though), but the sales were low because Marvel refused to advertise those books past their #1s. Ghost Rider I can't say, but from what I've heard it suffered by being "Amadeus Chulk and his friend Ghost Rider". Also somehow shoved X-23!Wolvie and Silk in there somehow but it didn't have time to get its feet off the floor either.

>And right now? Marvel has no idea how to tell a proper story. Pacing is rushed, things just happened, and there's always an air of "If you don't like it? DEAL WITH IT!" with all their decisions, and yet the books just keep making less and less sense as they go forward.

This is basically the core of all their problems. Arguably you could see this start back in the late 2000's with maybe Civil War (though that could still have worked if they had done decent follow-ups) but became more blatant with Ultimates 3/Ultimatum and One More Day.

The problem with Silk was that when she was introduced, Slott wrote her really badly. She didn't become a better character until Robbie Thompson wrote her and by then it was hard for readers to disassociate Slott's bad handling of the character to be willing to buy a side series.

But Thompsons writing was still weak, even if giving her character was a gigantic improvement over Slott's work.