In McShane to blay Prof. broom in Hellboy:rise of the Blood Queen

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/american-gods-star-ian-mcshane-joins-david-harbour-hellboy-reboot-1025853

Guys, I think they're gonna nail it, especially after harbours recent comments on why its R rated.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbook.com/movies/2017/07/26/hellboy-rise-of-the-blood-queen-r-rating-david-harbour/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Demon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>especially after harbours recent comments on why its R rated.
What was the reason?

>Hellboy
>Reboot

I'd be fucking livid if I were Ron Perlman right now. Hell, I'm still pretty bemused, what the fuck. I thought a Hellboy film would be 'too risky' and 'not guaranteed to garner a sufficient profit'.

McShane is always great, I don't think I've ever seen him half ass even when it's something like the maniac who dresses as Santa on American Horror Story.

>In McShane

I'd like to be in McShane, if you catch my drift

Yeah. That is the thing. No one supposedly wanted to do it, yet now, suddenly people are willing to back it? Makes no fucking sense and seemed Perlman and del Toro were just being led along by Mignola and Millennium Films.

Del Toro wanted a shit ton of cash that the producers wouldn't agree on.
Which if it meant that Hellboy 3 was gonna be even larger scaled than 2 I'm actually happy about. I prefer my Hellboy comfy over epic, especially if it meant Hellbabies.

>“It goes R not for reasons of nudity." Harbour explained. "It goes R for a bit of gore and horror, but also a bit of just the mature aspect of it, the mature themes of it. Just that we’re dealing with complicated subjects."

>"It’s a real character piece. Of course, it has huge action elements to it, but we’ve modeled it somewhat on Shakespeare. I mean, it’s a bit like Hamlet. It really is this study of this man going through this horrible conundrum and we really get to go in deep with him.”

comicbook.com/movies/2017/07/26/hellboy-rise-of-the-blood-queen-r-rating-david-harbour/

>I don't think I've ever seen him half ass
Cody Banks was not his moment of honor but I can't hold it against him

>but also a bit of just the mature aspect of it, the mature themes of it
The MPAA does not hand out R ratings for a story requiring an adult to comprehend it, they hand them out for nipples, blood and the F word in sufficient combination

Del Toro wanted a lot of cash for it, this is being made because it's getting a low budget. Also Mignola can do whatever the fuck he wants with Hellboy, its his property.

I'm glad that Hellboy is being rebooted because I very much disliked GDT's interpretation of the characters and the stories he ended up writing.
Sure there are some nice aspects in both films, but I after reading through a few of the HB comics, it really showed how wanting the films were.

No one will really be able to match Hurt, the guy's performance was what made Mignola refret killing him off immediately and made him do more flashback stories. But McShane is a good pick and im willing to be proven wrong.

The issue is Del Toro can never hold a project down, and I think Mignola just got tired of waiting. Good thing I'd say, the plot for 3 sounded awful. There is the possibility Perlman will get a cameo role as Hellboy's dad, or maybe a larger one as Astaroth.

So if Ron isnt playing Hellboy, who is?

David Harbour

Some cuck from Stranger Things. The sheriff.

>“It goes R not for reasons of nudity." Harbour explained. "It goes R for a bit of gore and horror
>blood and guts kewl, nudity bad

americans. every time.

I hope this shit bombs horribly. After the bullshit with a third Hellboy, not going out and just saying NO years ago and leading people on was bullshit. Fuck Mignola.

My biggest gripes with GDT really seem like studio bullshit, Meyers and and Liz romance stuff.

>implying the films, while not total garbage, did anything to capture the essence of Hellboy instead of just being del Toro jacking off to the idea of a fantasy-style Men in Black

I'm excited for the reboot and hope it's true to the nature of Hellboy's story

>Of course, it has huge action elements to it, but we’ve modeled it somewhat on Shakespeare. I mean, it’s a bit like Hamlet.
Shit like this gets said for every fucking thing. From Winter Soldier being a "political thriller" to Thor being "Shakespearian."

So is Dog Solders any good?

Is that any relation to Dog Welder?

>professor "broom"
>not bruttenholm

Ugh

But okay

Hey, I'm not complaining, but they probably going to render him in CGI and not make-up like Ron did.

>Dog Solders
Not as good as The Descent, but I like it.

Explain to me why There Will be Blood is rated R then. MPAA is biased is fuck, read up on it.

>going to render him in CGI and not make-up like Ron did.

Then why would they hire this guy?

>Hellboy
Cool
>Reboot
Fuck.

Who's that?

This is what I don't get. They're fine to just watch on their own, but I don't get why Sup Forums so adamantly sucks those movie's cocks.

Joel Harlow, he's a make up and special effects guy that Mingola tweeted about working with.

Probably because it did well for normies who don't read comics and when normies enjoy adaptations, it means eventually comic adaptations might get better.

So who will play liz and abe? Also will pic related make a appearance?

I wouldn't even mind if neither Abe or Liz made appearances in the film.

You should watch "This Film Is Not Yet Rated".

Oh man, I can already imagine all the tears when Abe is a bad ass as opposed to being a scared nerd

How would you guys feel if they got Lee Pace as Abe?

It depends on the characterization really.

Abe is a badass except he's keeps getting stuck in periods of existential crisis about his identity which got really old plus he's got to deal with people like Devon

i dunno if they'll ever top John Hurt but that's some damn fine casting

Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought his solo was fucking dull.

Scott Allie is a shitty writer that's why, I'm pissed he's writing BPRD now

>The issue is Del Toro can never hold a project down

he's about to put out his 3rd film in 4 years

Mignola is a classic horror nut, he's gonna insist on makeup effects. he keeps a drawer of Universal and British horror films.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Demon

this is one of his favorites

Tilda Swinton for Kate

>tfw you'll miss old movie Abe more than HB himself
can't smile without you...

>a cameo role as Hellboy's dad,
Satan is a cameo in Hellboy-verse.

Hellboy's dad isn't Satan.

this doesn't fit at all, mcshane can't dial back the intense in any role he does, guy constantly sounds like he wants to call you a motherfucker with every word he utters.

The problem is that he has too much Mignolaverse graft. He's been a been a big part of the production for so long that it's hard to deny him. But yeah he is shit compared to Arcudi.

He's fine as an editor but he should leave writing to the writers - of course the problem is Roberson also sucks

Ron seemed cool with it though. He had dinner with Harbour (and Patton Oswalt for some reason). It appears like they got along well.

As much as it pains me to admit it, Ron is getting up there in age. I don't think he's up for such a physically demanding role and spending hours each day in make-up anymore.

I would have loved for them to complete the trilogy, but everything I heard so far about the new movie seems really good.
>interesting director, who isn't a studio stooge
>character actor that seems invested in the project
>trying to get closer to the tone of the comics

Hopefully Kate will show up.

Bet he'll have a cameo though.

Ron would be a perfect Astaroth

Mignolaverse kinda shit the bed towards the ending of Hellboy. All Mignola stuff was fantastic, but the team itself fell apart pretty hard. I actually haven't even read anything past the end of Hell on Earth.

Honestly while it was never bad it got so repetitive and boring with most of the cast being assholes including the BPRD hunting him down for some reason and worst of it all it was super anti-climatic

>Astaroth
Hmm, I could see it.

if this whole fucking movie isn't just Lovejoy quotes and Bruttenholm and Hellboy rattling around antique traders and smashing the crap out of ugly spooky old shit, they're doing it wrong

sunrise, sunset

too tall, kate's a shortass

Haven't been keeping up on the gossip, do we have any idea what era this is set in?

It would make some sense that Harbour was playing a younger HB than the Del Taco movies.... It being set in the "hellboy and the bprd 195-whatever" time period would be really cool.

Very nice of mignola to slap the guy who is the only reason people know what hellboy even is right in the face with this, that type of dick headiness is rather impressive.

The first Thor movie was directed by Kenneth Branagh, a noted Shakespearean actor and director who has adapted numerous Shakespeare plays for the screen. You could actually feel a bit of that sensibility in the first movie, with the way the Asgard characters carried themselves and projected. There was a bit of that grandeur to them that inhabits some of Shakespeare's royal characters, his kings and princes.

plus she's not a crazy bitch who believes racist gnomes run the universe

Tilda Swinton for Green Lantern

Your giving Mignola to much credit here it was princess a studio executive who booted Del Toro

i dunno about shakespeare but Hellboy's always tried to lean on the literary side

Oh, well, absolutely. Hellboy's cosmology is pure Milton, after all; the demonic city is even called Pandemonium like in Paradise Lost. And all the fairy stuff is straight out of Shakespeare and Spenser and some of the other great poets.

>slap the guy
They couldn't work it out so Mignola and the studio moved on to a different director and Del Toro moved on to his own projects. Why is this some sort of crime?

If they got her for this movie... desu I'd be willing to bet she could pull off Abe...

Like think of how she looked bald in Dr.Strange , add makeup and prosthetics, and im sure shes moreee than capable of finding a suitable voice for Abe.

Plus shes all weird and androgynous looking in the first place, which only helps.

Its not like I think they should or would do that but I bet she could do it.

that was so fucking cool when they revealed Pandemonium was being held up on the backs of fallen angels the entire time

damn, mignola's gone rasputin.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

Is there a solid interview where he lists some choice films?

I know for literature he veers towards Poe, Lovecraft, folktales and the early pulps. I'm not sure what else.

It was really good when it was flashbacks, lore, or the big finale stuff. Abe and whatshername wandering America was boring. Allie can write, but curiously he needs a goddamned editor himself.

can't remember one particular podcast, but Frankenstein 1931 was a big one.

It is what it is. A one page comic that could be very good if expanded.

The three guardian spirit things who first fucked it all up in Hyperboria, right? I need to reread EVERYTHING. It's all just fragments of weird mythic lore in my head.

I've been eyeballing the Classic Universal Horror bluray sets. I think I'm waiting for Creature from the Black Lagoon, since that was the one film series I somehow saw as a kid and I loved them. So cool, that works for me.

I just finished a full reread of Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth, it's an amazing epic. The character development is unbelievable and characters like Iosif and Johann are triumphs in long form comic writing.

As sad as it will be when it all ends, a full reread of the Mignolaverse is going to be a hell of an experience.

I'm ready for those Hell on Earth hardcovers and the Abe Sapien ones

Maybe we'll get Lobster Johnson ones some day

well I guess I'll just book my ticket now then

me too, I have all of Plague of Frogs and the HC for 1946-1948. I did read Hell on Earth on a very large tablet though, the art is crazy.

the guy they got for Bruttenholm seems younger than how old he was when he died, so i'm guessing it will be earlier on

I think that's what I'm waiting for. If he actually completes everything it's going to be an incredible achievement in comic story telling.

I just hope there's one last act to tell with Hellboy himself. I can't shake the feeling that there's just a little more to tell with him at the end of it all.

>so i'm guessing it will be earlier on
Or they won't kill him off in the first movie

I have every single Mignola trade already, so I never bothered with the hardcovers. Now I hear there's expanded sketch sections so I don't know if I've made the smart move or not.

I hope everyone shows up for the End of the World

I think there's stew a few prophecies and visions involving HB at the end of everything. So... I very much FEEL like there's a final act. I just hope I'm not deluding myself.

Where is this from?

Twitter or some shit. It's him getting a mold done to cast the hand out of.

nerd

Hope they don't include "Azzael"
fuck, it's like mignola couldn't decide between Azrael and Azazel.

Hellboy in hell is getting a library edition on oct

Seems like it's gonna be the battle with Nimue

For curiosity's sake, Del Toro's plans for HELLBOY 3.

>Hellboy and Liz have children. One is demon-looking like Hellboy and one is human-looking like Liz.

>John Myers returns and reveals that Rasputin has been revived by occultist billionaire Roderick Zinco. Kroenen is also back as a head in a jar attached to a robotic body.

>Rasputin and Zinco are after Hellboy's child to unleash the apocalypse. They send a brainwashed archangel that Rasputin captured in WWII to kill Hellboy.

>Everyone assumes the demon-looking son is the one Rasputin is after, but it is actually the human-looking one. The kid opens the gates of Hell.

>Hellboy is forced to put him down, kills Rasputin for good, and sacrifices himself to close the gates. Zinco is arrested by Myers.

>Set up for Hellboy's demon-looking son to go on new adventures in the future.

>Abe, Kraus and Manning were going to return.

>Lobster Johnson would appear in a WWII flashback about how Rasputin captured the archangel, played by Bruce Campbell.

>kids
Worst

>lobster Johnson
Almost makes up for it

does the film have any shot at looking like this?