What went wrong? Could it be done right or was the idea itself rotten to the core?

What went wrong? Could it be done right or was the idea itself rotten to the core?

The mini was fine, Vertigo-ish stuff. I don't think he works very well in the Marvel Universe, there's too much shit going on, no strong core.

a workable version of sentry would be unrecognizable. He should have been thrown in the trash as part of Jenkins's shitty fanfiction.

Sentry went right. He was a hero that reached the end of his arc and that's why we dont see much of him anymore.

Personally I would have tuned him into Marvel's Broly.

>Sentry went right. He was a hero that reached the end of his arc
His "arc" started at the end because he was retconned into existence. We never saw the "hero" Sentry that the heroes talked about. He was an Osbon puppet for the majority of his existence.

>He was a hero that reached the end of his arc and that's why we dont see much of him anymore.
Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason.

>Sentry went right.
COME THE FUCK ON.

His only fans are power-level fags, edgyfags and Jenkinfags. He was barely a character. How he went right?

I kind of liked him in Dark Avengers, where he was like superman but COMPLETELY unhinged, and he talked like a retarded drug addict, mostly because he was one.

He is stronger than Cap, Wolverine and Spider-Man, Marvel hates anyone that can one shot street levelers like them, therefore he was too much to be around, and they already have Thor to shit on.

>Cap
>Wolverine
>street level

Don't let Bendis write him.

I liked the original mini that ends with him being written out of existence again

He'd actually work well as an MCU character. The sort of unstated "power cap" for the setting who comes into the story, sticks around for a bit, and gets phased out after he's done with what he was needed for.

He's cool, I mean isn't Blue Marvel just Sentry-lite anyway? His Mini was great, I love how the towel and laundry clips became his costume

I like how his dog forgot he was a superhero as well

He couldn't control the Void and it overtook him and he had to be destroyed(yeah I know he was resurrected years later but nobody pays attention to it). You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

>I mean isn't Blue Marvel just Sentry-lite anyway?
Blue Marvel wasn't retconned into existence.

Sentry appeared out of nowhere as being the best friend of the Fantastic Four, the first love of rogue and a source of inspiration for everyone.

In reality, we never saw he doing any good.

we saw the flashbacks

That changes everything, huh?

I mean Blue Marvel is Sentry-lite in a way because Blue Marvel is an OP character and really smart. Sentry's watch tower was 10/10

yes

The mini worked. There was no need to expand on it, and nothing useful or interesting was done with him after being brought into main continuity.

Marvel owns the rights to Miracleman so they don't need to use this half-baked ripoff any more.

No, it doesn't. Nobody will ever consider Sentry the F4 best friend because he simply isn't part of their story, no matter how many retcons you shove down the reader's throat.

Sentry is dead and forgotten today because his concept didn't fly.

I think that's the point. Sentry as a character can't exist as a permanent fixation because his whole gimmick is based around his spontaneous appearance and innevitable dissappearance from Marvel canon

Blue Marvel kinda was retconned into existence.

He was active back in the day but America couldn't handle a black Superman so he went into hiding and that's why he doesn't show up until current day.

the core idea was strong--that you have a basic fuckup who becomes a god but is so powerful that the negative side of personality leaks out as independent being who undoes everything good he tries to do. ...but it fell into Bendis's greasy paws and he couldn't make up his mind about what to do with it. --specifically he couldn't decide what Robert's actual problem was. what was the void really? mental illness? side effect of the serum? ( a retconned mega-supersolider serum no less) the dark side of god? it was muddled bullshit.
if you treated like captain marvel, but billy batson is basically a drug addicted basket case, who becomes cap to escape the mess he's made out of his life, but can't help sabotaging himself anyway....that would have some legs. it's the impulse to resolve the void issue in every story that the problem. the trick is to keep it in the background, only erupting into the open every so often. the rest of the time, he's superman.

The void is basically the nihilistic self-destructive addict who would down strange chemicals in the hope of getting high. The Sentry is the greatest high ever--you're the most powerful superhero in the world, you have a beautiful wife who thinks you're awesome, and Reed Richards is your best friend--and it never seems to end, to the point that you forget that you're just on drugs, but the addict is still there, waiting to destroy it all.

Marvel doesn't know how to handle OP heroes. They gave him ass pull OP powers like reality warping powers in order to elevate him as the most powerful ever. To balance that power out, they tried to give him two shitty personalities, the void and his normal whiny shit stain self, making him unlikable. Comics constantly had him popping up and being shilled as doing great things but it is never shown. During major events like Civil War or Siege, he was either completely worthless or a liability.

He should have been made an antagonist through and through. Make him like the Punisher if he had Superman's powers. When the other heroes try to lock him up, he voluntarily does so again. He wants them to learn that their half measures aren't enough and will wait when they beg him to come out again.

>Blue Marvel wasn't retconned into existence.
Yes he was. Galactus even calls him out on this fact.

I found him utterly unbearable in Dark Avengers. I kind of liked the character before, but DA made me cheer when Thor and Stark pushed his shit in.

Sentry is like the ultimate post-Watchmen character.

>DUDE SO WHAT IF SUPERMAN WAS LIKE TOTALLY INSANE AND DARK AND EDGY HOLY SHIT

He's the summation of how fudgepackers like Bendis perceived comics-- "unrealistic" and stupid.

They didn't play up "the more he uses his power the more powerful the Void becomes/the more it encroaches on our reality" angle nearly enough. He would have fit in much better if you kept his power reasonably close to the other characters with the idea that he can way beyond it but at the risk of destroying reality---see, that's an interesting idea. What they (and by they I mean BENDIS) went with was he's like 100x more powerful than anybody but basically What-About-the-Rabbits-George retarded. That seriously limited what you could have done with the character and made him simply a walking Deus ex Machina that would have to be removed sooner or later.

It was the point back in the first Marvel Knights miniseries, then Marvel got desperate to integrate him into the main universe and that's where things went to shit, It was a pooorly executed stunt but the other user seems very salty about it

Every single writer who wrote him not named Bendis did the character very well. The Age of Sentry mini was especially great.

Bendis shat all over him and created all the fags in threads like these who bitch that he's a Superman-lite or shitty character, and for that I'll forever boycott whatever Bendis touches.

Sentry in the hands of a competent writer would be fantastic and an excellent allegory for real mental health issues.

There is so much potential there being left on the shelf, but in truth I expect nothing less from Nu-Marvel.

He's ot there pushing the body of a dead celestial into the cosmos as the rider of death... hell the story writes itself, you're right about the waste of potential...

Sounds a lot like Snyder Supes.

well, looks like it has a camel toe instead of a wang chung.

there's that.

Damn you again, Bendis. Never touch in muh Sentry again.

Do you have the page?

Ewing turned Blue Marvel is the new Mr. Fantastic, with some Doc Savage thrown in for good measure.

Good mini. However was doomed to die in the big two due to power level wank.

Competent continued use of him would have been background nudges and winks. Let Blue Marvel be the non mini Sentry.

Not the guy you were talking to, but I'm rereading Ultimates so I can find it for you. I think I know which page he's talking about.

I like the idea of him jobbing and not reaching his full potential because he is schizophrenic. He could destroy fucking everything, but he doesn't just do it.

>guy with super strong manhole lid
>guy with six knives

Probably somewhere in ultimates

His orgini is dangerously close to the criteria of a mary sue. Hell he would have been one if not for his character in ultimates.

>Superman level character that the Marvel citizens actually LIKED
>Saves day dozens of times
>Everyone forgets him in a span of 20 years because black
>Tony only manages to remember his existence from a news archive.

Shit we still talk about Nixon, Kennady, music bands, (insert shitty 90's cartoon) older than that.

Fuck what they say about the edge, I liked when he was talking to the void and void casually mentions giving some woman breast cancer to counteract the ship he saved.

Guy with god mode forced to use his powers at streat level least the world go boom was perfect.

Although I did like the angle Bendis attempted with we're not quite sure if its mental illness or not. Along with the questionable origin story.

Pretty much this yeah.

I like Sentry. Have him as a weapon of last resort type deal. My dream limited series is Sentry/Hyperion as they try to learn what it means to be a hero, Sentry learning to trust himself and Hyperion chilling out with his authoritarian leanings.

>S-Sentry isn't Superman-lite
>The Age of Sentry
You gotta be kidding.

The only reason The Age of Sentry is good is because they dropped the pretension that he isn't a Superman-lite character.

Any other time, he was just "Superman but edgy and retarded". How is that not a shitty character?

I was legit under the impression Bendis wanted to bring in two of the more popular stand alone characters to hype up his avengers run and then shit the bed by ignoring literally everything about those minis that made those characters successful. It was an exercise of "Missing the Point" with both Sentry and Ares. If he would have kept the general gist of what the characters were supposed to be they probably wouldn't have been so damn shit.

Thanks

>He was active back in the day but America couldn't handle a black Superman so he went into hiding and that's why he doesn't show up until current day.
Compare that to Sentry's "hey, remember this new guy that was totally the best hero ever, friend of everyone and an important person in the lives of several Marel characters? You don't remember? Well, have it anyway."

Blue Marvel is very tame in comparison.

Found them. This was The Ultimates (2015) #5, "Unimaginable".

1/2.

I've seen a shitty theory that could keep him relevant for a little longer; they never explained how he got his powers or the limit of his powers really. The best Sentry story, if not the only good one was the first miniseries and in that they hyped him up a lot and made him pretty mysterious in his origin. They could tie him TOAA somehow him being a fourth wall breaking character to some degree. But knowing Marvel they'd make him even more awful.