Animated combat

Why do western fight scenes tend to look so choppy and crude? Is it due to the overemphasis of comedy?

Other urls found in this thread:

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=murked
youtu.be/5LShtscR588
youtube.com/watch?v=oUWjmiLt6_0
dailymotion.com/video/x3nujer
youtube.com/watch?v=vsQrKZcYtqg
dailymotion.com/video/x4831nu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This looks better than the shit you posted

what the fuck is going on in this gif?
he swing downward but the impact is straight upwards?

East vs west stuff always has weird arguments. I remember some friend telling me western animation had too high a framerate for her liking.I'm not sure if she was talking about disney, CGI or flash animation with tweens.

Why is anime always so obviously superior in quality?

He swung upward, but the angle doesn't reflect that originally.

Dragonmaid is tumblr yurishit.

wut

She could have meant the way American animation is often too fast in a weird, unnatural way, or maybe that movement speed is too consistent.

Very nice.

Lack of history.

Violence in cartoons was not even a thing until the late 90's.

Before that it was not allowed to have things like a punch or kick, they had to rely on that weird bear hug attack thing in every superhero show. Weapons were always not allowed unless the guns were some kind of laser that never hurts anybody. At best they might wrestle and pick up and toss someone like every episode of GI:Joe, He-Man, Thundercats, or Superfriends. Outside of that the most violent thing was maybe some of a ceiling would fall on a bad guy and they would be knocked out.

Always thought it was weird when you had guys with swords and spears, but never use them. They would always make elaborate traps with ropes and sticks to capture the bad guys instead. This is still true in stuff like My Knight and Me where no one uses a medieval weapon against anyone, they always have their clever Looney Tunes inspired plans instead.

3 X-Men series and Wolverine never cut a single thing that was not a sentinel

This is why I hate Ninja Turtles

Nobody ever gets murked, what's the point of the weapons?

In the first episode of the80's show they actually fought the robot ninjas, but that stopped in the main series. It was right back to roping them and leaving them hanging from telephone poles

It's weird given how violence and gore crazy you can get with in films, especially with horror. I know TV has stricter standards but with the west I guess tolerance for violence would give you more lee way to make good action or fighting scenes with weapons and what not.

this is a child.
fuck her brains out

it is kinda weird to have shows about ninjas, that never really hurt anybody

Just fuck off back to Sup Forums already.

This is what I meant in . Everything moves in a weirdly fast way.

See

those are mostly just stills

Take notes Sugar. This is how a swordfight is done.

I could be wrong but that looks like it might have been animated in Japan. I couldn't find any info on the animation though.

>muh japan
Seriously? and it was made by Adelaide Productions

>high frame rate
>no off-model
>consistent
>"It looks like it could be Japanese"
Just fuck off to Sup Forums, retard

Comparing to OP's gif, the problem with is that there isn't enough wind-up before each attack, as well as a lack of a pause (either slight or deliberate) with the impacts. There also aren't any reaction shots to impacts. So each moment of the action feels fleeting, and each hit looks like it doesn't hurt. Anime really overdoes the impact/reaction stuff, which can lead to fights having the structure of two people taking turns to hurt each other.

This has something I also noticed with western fight scenes, which is to animate the fight in wide, static angles, so the motion takes up a small amount of the frame. Although the OP's gif also used mostly static angles, we can see the effort put into the kick from the guy's face and the fact that his entire body contorts to really sell that kick.

>we can see
I can't see nothing in OP's gif

don't people even get bored of "why westerners don't just do anime" threads?
I'm going to hide this as soon as I reply.

*merc'd, dummy

As in "mercenary", those guys who kill people for money.

This one is pretty bad.

You're literally the only one who spells it that way. You be more "correct" without the apostrophe.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=murked

isn't part of the thing supposed to be that they're elite soldiers, as in the kind who ignore pain enough and continue fighting regardless

but disregarding that, the sound fx alongside the actual blows and the ways they're affected by them does a serviceable job at conveying the impact of each blow

and windup is often gratuitous in a fight scene. granted, there are several windup moments in that were awesome, but it didn't have to be a necessity. this was only a small portion of the entire fight and they only had 22 minutes to tell the full story

east vs west threads are just an excuse to post animation webms

>mfw the vocals kicked in

Wrong

Bobby knows how the shit works.

>Wanting big tits on a child
Pervert.

why do japanese animes always have the protagonist shout "I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU" before a fight?
i read about the translation issue, but it more or less means what it sounds like.

honestly? it sounds fucking retarded and not threatening at all. the villian just killed your wife and son. he doesn't care about your forgiveness you twice nuked fucking retard faggot pussy.

that doesnt look any better than any of the sword action in su tho.

It comes down to the difference in storyboarding. Sometimes anime actually uses less frames then a western cartoon but their actions look much more dynamic because they mess around with crazy angles and perspective that really bring the viewer in and emphasize the impact of everything. Anime really takes advantage of the animation medium when it comes to fights imo. Something that really stands out is the speed lines and animated backgrounds that they use, that really introduces a whole new type of movement that isn't present in western cartoons. Western cartoons tend to frame every shot like you would for a live action movie and as a result, things tend to look much less dynamic. It'd be very hard to film something like the OP in live action but you could easily film something like this .

they stop being children once life thrusts them into adulthood

happened to me at 13, but due to being jewish and that happens to be the age you aren't a child anymore because GOD said so

what is this?

I dont´t remenber that episode of infernocop.

Damn it man I need a sauce now.

FUCK OFF WEEBS

FUCK OFF WEEBS

FUCK OFF WEEBS
FUCK OFF WEEBS

FUCK OFF WEEBS

FUCK OFF WEEBS
FUCK OFF WEEBS

FUCK OFF WEEBS

Yeah but this was lifted from sword of the Stranger.

I mean, undoubtedly Japan simply has the larger tv animation industry due to the sheer volume produced. So it can train and retain a lot of experienced animators capable of complex sequences like fight scenes.

But in the west, anyone on that kind of level would probably be more likely found at the big animation movie studios and storyboarding for films/video game/advertising projects than in tv cartoons

youtu.be/5LShtscR588

Two characters dancing

Guy's talking about a woman not a girl

youtube.com/watch?v=oUWjmiLt6_0

Japanese animation > Western animation
Western stories > Japanese stories

As an avid watcher of all sorts of anime, shounen shit is always cringy as fuck. Super cliche, a lot of "let me break down the science for you children" scenes even though we are dealing with ridiculous powers, and other dumb things like gratuitous fanservice or fake psychology mind tricks bullshit.

Meanwhile, western animation often has clearly defined plots without any convolution, generally less padded dialogue, and less cliche relationships.

No it does not.
Because we outsource to garbage studios who can't time and pose things to save their lives.
Golden age cartoons are full to the brim with violence, just go watch Tom & Jerry or Road Runner and Coyote and you will see loads of violence site gags, same with Bugs, Elmer and Daffy with gun play, really all of the major Looney Tunes had violence in it and it was hilarious so please shut the fuck up, you don't know what you're talking about.
>Badly timed
>Badly posed
>Looks like shit in more ways then 1
Proves my point to the T.
No, this is a sword fight

dailymotion.com/video/x3nujer
They don't.

I'm surprised this was not brought up yet, time to fix that.

t. gemtleman

De fucking bunked.

>japanese animation
>animation
sure, if you wanna call that janky twitchy fighting with the framerate of a powerpoint presentation "animation"

It's not bate, it's facts.
Uhhh...
youtube.com/watch?v=vsQrKZcYtqg

>Posting the Iida kick
>Not this

damn, you must pick cherries for a living

Is this Famicom

It's not cherry picking either, it's facts.

Nope.

not even sure what you are referring to

Americans don't take animation as seriously. but when they do, like some of those DC animated flicks, ATLA and LoK S1, it looks pretty good.

Not fair, that's Popeye. That finger part tho.

No as...
>Badly timed
>Badly posed
>Looks like shit in more ways then 1

This is when Americans take animation seriously (as in THEY DIDN'T DITCH IT OVERSEAS)
dailymotion.com/video/x4831nu

>weebs only care about good animation when it's used in a fight scene because they're plebs who can only appreciate the Chinese equivalent of capeshit
Really makes you think.

You play catch up or fuck off.

Because Animation is the west is aimed at children and Anime is the catch all medium in Japan.

Compare American filmmaking and TV to Japanese filmmaking and TV and you'll see where divergent focus leads you.

DC animated DTVS have been mostly shit for almost half a decade, now. Not just in writing, but also in how the animation quality has also gone downhill.

Pic related is the ONE decent looking cut in the entire Killing Joke adaptation, which was just janky as hell

If it's not specifically an action cartoon then they wont put effort into fight scenes.

and yet TDKR is still better in every since of the word and is one of the many that have come out in the past few years

Ugh, the anatomy is horrible and the girls head looks out of place.

The TDKR part 1 adaptation was released in 2012, user. That's almost 5 years ago. I said almost half a decade, what exactly are you trying to prove?

After the Flashpoint DTV it's just been a steady decline, besides an exception like Gods and Monsters

part 2 was pretty good, imo
and G&M was awesome

This is the equivalent of running through filters in photoshop. Why are weebs so easily amused by cheap effects?

animoo fight scenes interrupt the action every five seconds to give exposition on some bullshit, though.

Source?

>has an entire conversation with rival during single jump kick
this is speedracer levels of budget stretching

this entire fight is a prime example of what I'm talking about

Sounds like the average comic book fight.

It's all about presentation. Japan did just fine making a show about a former samurai that refused to kill, after all.

does japan have a different S&P than the US?

this

Japan needs another nuke.

They allow for animated child dicks to show on TV, so it's safe to assume so. But even then, I don't recall anyone in the US complaining about Kenshin.

Now this is a punch.

Depends on the program in question. Modern shonen anime stuff usually cuts down on gore and blood.

I remember 3 instances of child dicks on TV. Shin-chan not being censored on Adult Swim, the Simpsons movie, and pic related.

Why can't we ever just try to understand eachother's favorite medium for animation. Understand as in knowing not necessarily liking

That sounds like some pussy shit.