Why can't Ghostbusters comics stay alive?

Why can't Ghostbusters comics stay alive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A76LFGvmbXM
ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostbusters_IDW_Ongoing_Series
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dunno. It's primarily a comedy franchise, and comedy is hard to do well.

Post Kylie.

A significant part of the appeal is nostalgia. They're decades from the cartoon, decades from the orginal two movies, and the most recent movie took as much fan goodwill as humanly possible and crapped all over it.

Maybe the fanbase just fell off with the years in between different media versions

I mean other IDW comics like TMNT, GI Joe, and Transformers have all pretty much come out on a near non stop basis since they were created.

>Why can't Ghostbusters comics stay alive?

Shoehorning the 2016 reboot female Ghostbusters into the series fucking tanked it. Which is too bad, because the book had been on an uninterrupted awesome streak until Ghostbusters 101 fucked it all up.

They desperately need a new artist.

the hell you on about? The ghostbusters comics have been like this since the end of the first 9 volumes.

Heck, with Ghostbusters 101, the idw comics are going to be getting 2 minis, one with the girls and then the TMNT crossover.

This. Is that supposed to be Winston? The caricatured art style really doesn't work and it just looks ugly.

Seriously though. Post Kylie.

To be honest Im surprised it lasted as long as it did.

A 6 year run for an 80s notalgia grab book is pretty impressive honestly.

This was something I was dreading for a long time. I was a big fan of the IDW book but couldn't bring myself to buy that. I haven't even read them.

Maybe Im not being fair but I really do feel like shoehorning them is an insult to the fact that the book handled female ghostbusters fantastically with Kylie and Mel.

>Seriously though. Post Kylie.

How are they "shoehorning" 2016 GB any more than "shoehorning" the Ninja Turtles or the Real Ghostbusters? Unless the worlds merge in-story, which I kind of doubt, it's just another crossover that may get acknowledged every once in a while. Besides, you know it was inevitable they'd have to cover the 2016 team at some point.

Best girl.

They probably should've just done an Extreme Ghostbusters movie.

It's shoehorned in that it's something none of the fans actually wanted and clearly a direct order from the execs.

yeah it makes as much sense as the TMNT crossover but the thing is fans of GB and TMNT have some overlap. Nobody but the most click baity tumblr blogs liked the new movie and when the writers of the comic are forced to defend or praise it you know something is up.

> Besides, you know it was inevitable they'd have to cover the 2016 team at some point.

That doesn't mean I have to like it

>That doesn't mean I have to like it

You don't have to but it's bullshit to think it tanked the comic series. Most IDW comics don't have high sales compared to Marvel's or DC's at any rate, and Ghostbusters 101's sales are around the level of the Ghostbusters International comic any way.

I don't know if going full Extreme would have been the best option either but if you had to ABSOLUTELY had to make a new film it's formula serves as the logical starting point.

have an older Ray in place of Egon (RIP) be living in and taking care of the firehouse while running his book store on the side. Bring in Kylie (Aubrey Plaza maybe?) as his employee who would later become one of his new ghostbusters when shit goes crazy. Id have one of her classmates Eddie join up too, because he thinks it's an easy job and he wants to plow Kylie. So right there we get the Hollywood romance shipper faggotry taken care of and the story about the slacker finding his courage.

I think it's also important to follow up on Baby Oscar as one of the main characters. Now older he comes back to NY to find out why his mom was so obsessed with the spooky shit. Maybe have a plot where he an Eddie don't get on. Not really a love triangle though that'd be lame.

After a few botched missions the busters get in hot water and the government decides to send in an agent of their own to assist and keep tabs on them. This would be Mel from the comics. So boom. I got an equal gender spread that Id on't think anyone would object too.

As for a big threat? I dunno. Maybe make it a Halloween movie with Samhein as the main threat. That'd be cool.

Fuck you, he's the best part. All the Easter eggs.

And anyway, its doing fine. Even the crossover is good, although its less because the Fembusters, more because its the same crew that just happen to be USING the Fembusters.

That mini starring them though, that thing is gonna be terrible.

Well I generally trust Burnham as a writer and Ill probably grab the next main series book anyways because I do like and am willing to write this one off as what it is.

Good idea. He probably didn't want to do this any more than we wanted him to.

I don't know if adding the 2016 characters to 101 tanked it, but that was the jump-off point for me. I've pulled every single issue before that, including crossovers, but I instantly dropped it because the 2016 movie is so off-putting. It's doubly awful since the comics already had a great all female team, so shoving in the 2016 characters really did feel like some kind of executive order instead of an organic story from the creative team.

GB may have never been a high selling property but it did okay by IDW standards, and 101's sales have crept lower than International's were. I know anecdotes don't count for much, but 101 was when the sales for it tanked at my LCS, because I wasn't the only one that dropped it and I never even see it out on the shelf anymore.

Still, I'll be right back on board with any Burnham/Schoening GB books that don't feature the 2016 characters. I really do love those books.

I actually feel kind of bad for not buying 101 because I do like the book normally and I know these kind of series need the support but I just can't

You should anyway. Its moving the story along.

And it added Garrett.

No, wait...Roland. Dunno why I always get those two mixed up.

Someone in a previous thread said it was still very good, in spite of the 2016 characters. Compared it to being allergic to pineapples and being given a delicious pizza with pineapples on it. Just gotta pick the shit off and the rest is still good.

I might consider reading it, but I doubt I'll ever own it.

Yeah. Ill get to reading it eventually, probably in time for the next series but Im not quite the completionionist I used to be anyways.

its a pretty limited franchise

I mean Ive said it before but I really am shocked that it even ran longer than the initial monthly series and I say that as a huge fan.

All together it has 63 issues out. That's more than most Marvel series will run for these days

IDW GBs has been amazing for years!! I hope they don't pull Burnham, Scheoning, and Delgado off of this!!

Those 3 have been consistently putting out great stories and give the GB fans something new fresh!!

Hell I was shaking my head at how Kylie and all of the female GBs in the IDW comics were handled and established better than the 2016 ones.

IDW Kylie still is the reigning top tier female GB in the franchise!!

With the same creative team as well. You really don't see that anymore.

Yeah there have been some guest artists here and there (I actually own a few of the pages Doc Shaner drew) but Schoening has been a near constant part of the series and honestly you can say what you want about his faces but he puts a lot of love into the series. There are some easter eggs only the craziest CB would ever pick up on

Looking at that picture, tons of unecessary replacement characters.

>unecessary replacement characters.

Im not sure what you mean? the three girls in the top left are mostly back ground characters. Dana and Louis are movie established, the guy in the hat was plot critical andthe dude to the left of kylie is the player character from the ps3 game.

>you can say what you want about his faces

honestly I prefer distorted and cartooney to attempts to look like real actors. Some of the Star Wars comics try for the latter and it's awful.

I remember one panel in one issue has a truck driving by. You can barely see the text on the side, but it's enough to see that the truck is from the salvage yard at the end of the RGB episode "Lost and Foundry."

And then there's this smorgasbord of references. GIven the early role it played in helping warp my young mind, I was pleased to see Venk-Man get a nod so early into the comic's run.

Here's one of some rando ghost from an old ass board game

Oh, and this one. The only reason I instantly recognized "chicken sal san" as a reference was because I had the VHS release with "Ghostbuster of the Year" on it as a kid. Watched those tapes over and over.

>I got an equal gender spread that Id on't think anyone would object too.

you poor naive bastard

Also the two dudes on the right?

Greatest American Hero

Hey, that was me!

But yeah, I stand by it. Burnham is a GOOD writer and all that other stuff that makes his GB comics great is still there in 101. It's just those shitty 2016 characters are along for the ride and even he can't redeem them. You just gotta read around them to enjoy the book.

care to give us a rundown so we know what we're in for going in

You mean the story?

well not outright a story synopsis but any stand out annoying moments

I don't think you know what "replacement" means.

>crossing out Kylie
>crossing out the Rookie

The Fembusters talk alot about what they did in the movie. And how the originals look really similar to people they've met.

And one really annoying segment where Melissa McCarthy feels inadequate because the OGs are more advanced, so Kristen Wiig has to give her a pep talk about how "just because they're different doesn't mean they aren't as good".

i chuckled

Okay, well that's pretty basic. I was mostly worried they'd try to downplay the comic girls to try and make their vaginas seems more important. Even the EGB's had that moment where they felt they weren't up to the OG's legacy

wasn't 101 always intended to be a mini, I assume the hiatuses between ongoing is more intentional then sales wise

Its nothing but minis now. Apparently they sell better than ongoings.

>care to give us a rundown so we know what we're in for going in

The story-itself is interesting. The Ghostbusters open up a training program for new recruits (really just an easy way to make extra capital) and one of the newcomers messes with the dimensional gateway in the basement. A ghost from the 2016 universe gets halfway stuck between worlds when the gate closes, causing a temporal anomaly that makes the two universes begin to merge. So the original Ghostbusters team up with the 2016 Ghostbusters to figure out how to untie the two universes before everything is destroyed.

Burnham even digs into things like how the 2016 GBs disincorporate ghosts with their weapons rather than capture them, and how that's been established as a HUGE no-no in the IDW comics (back during the Ghost Smashers arc). And everything with the Original GBs is classic Burnham stuff with good dialogue and characterizations.

It's just that the 2016 characters fucking SUCK. They're annoying and dumb and all of their "jokes" rely on randomness. Kevin and the Manic Pixie Girl are spammed like crazy and they're the worst of them. Nothing they do or say is funny, but you can tell it isn't Burnham's fault. He's writing them in-character with their movie versions. They're just fundamentally bad characters.

There is a good subplot where Mellisa McCarthy's character starts ranting about how the Original GBs are ripping them off, then Egon proves to her mathematically that THEY were subliminally inspired by them after the defeat of Gozer sent waves of Ghostbusters imagery psychically across the multiverse. McCarthy then has to deal with being humbled and learning that she's a "rip off".

At the very least, the 2016 characters aren't put on a pedestal, which is a relief. But they really do get in the way of what would otherwise be a good arc.

6 issues.

Well I can't say I understand why but if they keep making them it ends up being the same thing and probably lets them focus more on single story arcs

You forgot how apparently, the 2016 movie is in the same universe as Cloverfield.

Yeah, it works really well so far.

>McCarthy then has to deal with being humbled and learning that she's a "rip off".

NICE.

am I the only one hoping the tmnt ghosbusters sequel takes place in the tmnts world I want to see the ghostbusters in the tmnt art style this time

It would be a nice change up. Pretty much all the crossovers had people coming to them

>
>You forgot how apparently, the 2016 movie is in the same universe as Cloverfield.

Well, not really. Its probably another one of Schoening's Easter eggs.

But at one point the 2016 team fights a ghost that looks exactly like Clover.

Are they ever going to explain the Cloverfield movie? I swear to God I thought that there was supposed to be a big Blu-ray release with extra story that was coming out years ago.

they where banking on the add campaign rather than a real plot. People called the Blair Kaiju Project for a reason

But seriously whose dick do I have to suck to get an EGB DVD

reading 101 now

Blond Glasses Fembuster is making me very angry

It would certainly be a better starting concept than 'retell the original but worse'.

Holey cowabunga, that was funny.

Hopefully the new TMNT series has moments like that

Egon and Ray are best boys forever and ever

youtube.com/watch?v=A76LFGvmbXM

I like to not like Ron. He's just the perfect sleaze

Hey I'm a Ghostbusters new fag, I've seen the films but haven't seen any extended universe stuff. Do you guys have any tips for where to start or what to stay away from?

ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostbusters_IDW_Ongoing_Series

Boom.

I don't know how any of the other minis are but here's a list of every thing in the ongoing timeline. Save for the 101 series it's generally all pretty good so start from issue 1 and move on up.

If you want to buy them there are omnibus available. Total Containment and Mass Hysteria cover hte first 36 issues

Thanks user I appreciate it!

Glad to help, friend.

The fuck ugly artstyle hurts them. I'm serious here not baiting. (Well, not JUST baiting) I want to like a Ghostbusters comic but my eyes won't let me.

would love it if he came as the sandwich samurai

They need go find a way to get this Ghostbuster involved.

About the artstyle: its a direct copy of the designs used in the Wii version of the 2009 game. And a necessity, since drawing them exactly like the actors costs too much.

Guess it helps if you played that one.

Fuck off Boco

So does the free comic book that was given away at a Halloween convention. called time scare New York available anywhere

Extreme pretty much rocked the right boxes:

* Multi-racial team.
* Likeable yet not too sexist female lead.
* Nostalgia link to the original GB.
* Team comprised of teenagers (G-rated or low PG rating possibility, which appeals to teens and parents with kids)

I mean, they had a GB IP practically begging for a decent script and they fucked it up with the SJW malarkey.

Nopen.

So what is the reading order for ghostbusters they say it's just vol1 vol2 etc but they reference infestation and some other comics

Seeing how they're making TMNT/Ghostbusters 2, will we get lesbian fan art of Kylie and Angel?

I really like asshole in a wheelchair though it be a shame not to have him.

>dat filename

>If you want to buy them there are omnibus available. Total Containment and Mass Hysteria cover hte first 36 issues
They're doing another omni hardcover with at least Get Real, International, and, I think, the Annual. Plus, the TMNT crossover got an oversized hardcover that sits alongside the other omnis perfectly. I might wait to see if they do a GB/TMNT omni hardcover after the sequel comes out though.

This is what sold me on the comic originally.

I litteralky said that I read the reading order but the comics in that list reference infestation and the ghostbusters Omni where the mafia guy poses venkman both of which are not on the reading list