2000AD Storytime: Mazeworld

Hey Sup Forums let's read Mazeworld (or at least Book One).

Mazeworld comes from writer Alan Grant, who you might know from his stints on Keith Giffen creations like Lobo or L.E.G.I.O.N. or as the creator of Anarky and Victor Zsasz. Before and during all that he wrote for 2000AD. The art is by the brilliant Arthur Ranson, the definitive Judge Anderson artist for 2000AD and the kind of guy you wish drew a thousand books he never did.

Each book is very much its own story so I think I'll do them individually.

Ranson is the one artist I give a pass to for heavy photo reference in his characters, every thing else is just so damn beautiful that I feel like he never quite hits that uncanny valley feel.

Yes, he makes photorealism work. The trippy scenes have just as much realism and impact as the conventional ones.

And he moves very easily between order and disorder, which we'll see a lot in this.

BTW storytiming is dull so feel free to talk and post as you like. We won't hit image limit either.

(Incidentally, I think the construction of the page above is absolutely fantastic)

Ranson's American stuff never really seemed to have the same level of atmosphere as his work for 2000AD. Sometimes the colouring didn't help.

WELCOME TO MAZEWORLD

"Adam Cadman" is a Kabbalistic reference.

I like these mazed panels, it feels like a fun way to play around with the format. They don't really do it again though.

>I totally didn't read this off the back of a new age pamphlet

Very cool OP

The economy required in only having 5 or 6 pages a week is evident in this comic.

And it still finds room for the spreads.

Later I think Alan Grant said this two-page spread was basically the setting bible.

Though after reading so many modern comics were issues are decompressed to shit, its a refreshing change of pace.

I think it's a really valuable skill to have. The script submission guidelines for 2000AD suggest you practise by rewriting standard 20-page comics into 4-page ones.

I love this visual effect. It feels Kirby dot-ish in that it's hard to imagine off the page but works perfectly on it.

Where are the farms and forests that are needed to feed the citizens? Or does the food just appear thanks to magic?

Very nice. I think I'll run Button Man one of these days.

We get a sense of a bleak sort of economy here but I honestly can't remember if the comic ever gets into it. I guess we'll find out.

Probably. Though given its seemingly some sort of afterlife they might not even need to anymore.

That'd be neat.

That's one hell of a twist on the John Cater formula. Especially the conclusion when he comes back to Earth.

Again, you know, you don't have room but you make it work.

Even in simple things like the way the panels are constructed in the top half of this page I really find this comic a joy to read.

I believe this is now known as "isekai"

This photo referencing is so well done, and just makes me upset by how lazy Deodato and Janin seem to be these days.

great stuff OP, thanks

Keep going OP!
Pretty cool so far.

I have to admit "The Doomster" is not the most intimidating name.

This is an extremely Giffen page for not actually being Giffen.

>Hey you didn't actually do anything!

Is this giant woman /d/?

F

END OF BOOK ONE

Thank you all for reading. More sometime, soon -but not tomorrow.

Thanks OP! Really interesting series, definitely interested in where it'll go.

Thanks OP, I've been hoping that the collection would go back in print.

Right now on Amazon it's going for $124 used

WOW

Thanks again OP! Please continue sometime soon.

Damn is this creative

Mazeworld is at $157 CAD on Canadian Amazon, and the Button Man books range from $12-$86 depending on which volume

Does anyone actually buy books for that price?

Maybe only really large out-of-print omnibus'

> Button Man books range from $12-$86 depending on which volume

I mean the all in one volume is still in print, at least on American amazon..

Fuck yeah, Mazeworld. You're good folks, OP. I'm going through all the progs right now and just a week ago got here. Ranson's art is just spectacular.