Why hasn't Marvel ever tried to make Gladiator an Earth hero?

Why hasn't Marvel ever tried to make Gladiator an Earth hero?

I mean, the guy's essentially the closest thing they have to Superman. He's even alien and such. Do they just not want to make him too much like Superman? I think it'd be interesting to see this happening.

Because he's a shit character and they already have a NOT-superman.

They tried at least once, when Earth was without the Avengers and the F4 post-Onslaught
There was an Imperial Guard miniseries depicting them as trying to do some superheroing on Earth. They were super ineffective though, Rick Jones even accidentally resurrected the Kree Supreme Intelligence

They already have Hyperion, Sentry, and Blue Marvel. No real need for an H1B waiver.

>the guy's essentially the closest thing they have to Superman
Hyperion
also I like Space Superman with his army of Elite Supermen.

>No real need for an H1B waiver.
kek

I honestly hate when space characters spend a lot of time on Earth. One of my biggest issues with the Bendis run of Guardians was how fucking often they went to Earth.

>loses his powers when things start to go wrong and he loses confidence

Gladiator is probably the opposite of Superman who always comes through in darkest times.

>the guy's essentially the closest thing they have to Superman

But we can't have a series take place on a different planet, cause it might hurt the writers wittle bwains to put some substantial detail into a fictional setting.

They have hundreds.

They tried with his son, and it was awful. Also I think the X-Men may have had him hanging around for a while in the 90s, I seem to recall a miniseries set on earth.

Hyperions are from several other universes. None of them are from 616.

He's a parody of Superman, in that he parodies the blind self-confidence that Superman has of always doing the right thing and succeeding even when he fails. Gladiator's powers are limitless so long as he believes himself to be in the right - and he just so happens to use those powers to enforce a galactic empire's repressive rule.

Hyperion is, similarly, another parody of Superman (both the Imperial Guard and Squadron Supreme are parodies of the JL, as is the Sentry and to a lesser extent Vulcan, of Superman; there are others too numerous to mention).

Gladiator was the *prototype* for the post-Crisis Superman revamp, both by John Byrne.

Byrne was the one who revealed that Gladiator's superman-like powers were psionic not physical in nature, because, come on, there is no way physical strength can lift the things that Supes lifts without the object collapsing under its own weight from being held up by the small surface area of two adult hands. The reason that buildings and supertankers don't crumble is because most of the lifting is something like the "tactile TK" later used by the post-Crisis Superboy. Byrne started with Gladiator then used the same concepts in his Supes reboot.

I'm not seeing how Hyperion doesn't count because he came from another universe. Last I saw he was on 616 *now* and has been a member of the Avengers.

The point stands. Marvel earth has no need for another Superman-analogue in Gladiator when there are already several *on earth*.

Because he's an immigrant, he doesn't count as a citizen. For the purposes of user's joke, he would indeed have required an H1B on arrival.

And also, being an Avenger is no guarantee of US citizenship. Wolverine is Canadian - there's no indication he ever naturalized, or even got a green card. He just waltzes over the border when he feels like it. Black Knight and Captain Britain - Brits. I'm even pretty sure Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are, well, immigrants, though they may have been naturalized by now.

Thor (Asgardian, a place which is clearly foreign as it required its own embassy), Hercules (Greek, but not any modern state unless he was grandfathered in; Olympus), Black Panther (Wakanda), Namor (Atlantis; father was American, but since Namor wasn't born there it doesn't really count for anything these days), Black Widow (Russian)... US citizenship is clearly not a requirement for Avengers membership.

Marvel earth has no need for a lot of things, but they've had a Superman-analogue (for real, not a parody one like Gladiator) ever since Captain Marvel was introduced, homaging the old Fawcett character DC had forced out of print years before, and even though he died a long time ago, Carol Danvers has his powers too, thanks to the omni-wave accident. So... they really don't need a direct Superman, but they've basically got one.

I mean, you could count Vision or Wonder Man too, because they share a lot of the same traits, but yeah. No need for Gladiator.

>Black Knight and Captain Britain - Brits

Black Knight's American. Dane just lives in England these days.

Because he's a fucking joke character, dude. Let me guess, you've never read any Cosmic beyond the Giffen/DnA stuff?

They've already ruined Sentry, fuck off.

Why would he want to be a shitty hero on Earth when he can be the Shi'ar Emperor and have bitches both male and female lusting over his seed.

Sentry was never good. He was ruined at the moment of his creation.

kys, the first mini was great and Remender did a decent job in Uncanny Avengers

>both the Imperial Guard and Squadron Supreme are parodies of the JL,
Imperial Guard is a Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes parody

I could make Sentry based.

they are a homage, not a parody. They beat the XMen in the Moon.

I like both the Shi Ar and the Legion, and I hate to see aliens jobbing to humans. If you are going to have cosmic comics, dont make earth and humans the mary sues of the universe.
The same goes for Johns character assasinating the Guardians of the Universe.

Gladiator will never be as good as he could be for many reasons, the most important one being he is a Fox character. He may be in the next XMen movie that has Lilandra as a villain.

Because Marvel can not make a Superman character, first you need to understand that having superman powers do not make you Superman, it is not about the powers, you need to create a mythos around him and the personality (truth, justice and the american way thing) and Superman is one of the first heroes in DC and the inspiration of others.
The closest thing Marvel has is Captain America, he is their Superman.

You put Gladiator or Sentry or Hyperion and they will have their powers but will not work as Superman.

I would say the Imperial Guard is more a parody of the Legion of superheroes than the JL