Is Bionicle part of the DCU?

Is Bionicle part of the DCU?

Also Bionicle thread

Other urls found in this thread:

biomediaproject.com/bmp/comics/
lego.wikia.com/wiki/8761_Roodaka
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably. It at least exist in some universe.

Of all the artists who worked on the comics, who's your favorite?
Stuart Sayger would be my vote. I love the darker, atmospheric direction he gave the comics during the Piraka/Barraki arcs.

Aww hell yeah. I have a ton of G1s. Kardas best set.
Fuck yes, I love his stuff. The Piraka line was pure fucking gold.

bump

Hardly an uncommon opinion, but I pick D'Anda. Even though he had many shittier drawings where the proportions of people would vary all over the place, I loved how much character he gave the toys through simple body language and the eyes, and how everything seemed so dynamic for the lack of a better term.

But he made the toys look beefy, so I get why they replaced him when the sets got chunkier too.

Sayger was good at atmosphere, backgrounds, effects and all that, but I can't look past his scribble doodle characters. They should have asked him to disregard the toys' mechanical details and make them more simple and organic-looking.

Funnily enough, making them more 'organic-looking' is one of the biggest reasons as to why I liked his stuff so much. The more twisted, lifelike depictions added to the darker tone in those parts of the series, and the movies always made the characters look a bit uncanny when they were made to look more like the toys.

Imagine if they made a movie for that year, with Sayger as an art consultant. Zaktan alone would have been a crazy sight to behold. Though he would probably have broken their computers.

G2 could've had a good thing going if they pushed the blocky and 'edge heavy' (As in geometry) style into an Aztec/Mesoamerican style aesthetic in contrast to G1's Polynesian influence.

So much potential...
I wish they made the animated show earlier and on CN.

Oh man, I forgot about these. I wonder if I still have a few of the issues at my old house. I think I got up to a little after the Golden Mask storyline. I remember not liking that the setting changed to that city with the spider things.

The whole thing really seemed cheap and needlessly safe . A lot of what made G1 special came from the fact Lego was in serious financial trouble and needed a breakthrough in the action figure market, and after failing twice before were willing to take risks on a new line. So what resulted was incredibly unique. However now theyre the biggest toy company in the world, so that 'energy' which resulted in G1 wasnt really there.

If you want a fuckton of info and art from Bionicle's development, check out Faber Files on Blogspot.

>bionicle
It's all about throwbots my man.

They're called Slizers you frickin' pleb

remember how this was aired a lot on jetix?

I liked the motorbike guys. That's why Millennia was the best.

Yes. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was Roodaka's fault that a lot of present-day scalies exist.

I don't think any of the first three movies were ever shown in my area. But I remember hilariously awful adverts for the DVD.

I wish the 4th movie was split into 2 parts so that we could've seen Mat Nui fight Teridax in one of the movies

I wish we got an ignition trilogy.

It was always meant to be split into parts, Lego just pulled the plug while they were working on the first.

Is there a collection of the comics on Mega anywhere?

I also want to know this.

Most of them are on the BioMedia site, biomediaproject.com/bmp/comics/

Why do I keep forgetting about these resources?

>we never got this set

>we never got the 2011 dinosaurs
>the Baterra
>the Matoran capsule carrier from the Bionicle 2 DVD extras
>a fucking G2 Makuta or at least his mask

>We never got a G2 movie
>We never got the other 4 Toa Hagah
>Nor did we get buildable versions of the Mata Nui or Teridax robots
>We never got any UCS builds of the original Toa Mata

I have kardas too user

but it's in pieces so that's a problem

Metru Nui was the best bionicle iteration besides Gen 1

The visorak just fit.

Building Kardas shattered a bunch of those fragile leg/arm/thigh joint pieces, and I honestly liked Brutaka and Axxon separately more.

Alright, so I used to have the Bionicle figures when I was a kid (I still have some too), and all of these discussion threads on Sup Forums have gotten me interested. Should I get invested in the story of Bionicle? From what I've heard of it, it seems amazing.

bumpicle

Tell me Sup Forums, if Lego wanted you to reboot the series for G3, what would you do for it?

What can you lose beyond your time? It can be pretty frustrating though, the Bionicle story is like a bowl of tasty sweets mixed with goat droppings, and you can't always tell which is which until you bite in. But that's usually the case with toy-based children's media. At the very least, you'll probably be amazed at how deep, overwrought and crazy the lore to a Lego line can be, especially if you read up on the background material about how the franchise came to be.
Going in as a newfag can be tough, cause the early media was so inconsistent and all over the place. The first few years put more emphasis on world-building, atmosphere and vague mysticism than a coherent story. For instance to this day there is no singular media that tells the complete story of the first year, you have to shuffle between the comics, a web game and a short novel, all of which are incomplete on their own and contain a fair amount of contradictions.

I liked it during the piraka arc, but I hated it during the barraki/mahri arc.

I say we call all future Bionicle threads "Sup Forums-koro"

I miss Bionicle.

Bonkles V Gems.
Who wins?

Please no, Bionicle's last foray into the crystal theme didn't work out too well.

Maybe learn from past mistakes. Don't make the story too complicated or retarded simple, don't spread it across way too much media that most kids will never even see, give the designers some budget to work with, and market it for fuck's sake.
I'd keep a similar setup as G2 but put people who actually care in charge of the story and setting, like based Ryder Windham. Consult Chris Faber for additional stuff, stick to the tone of the old Advance-Ghost adverts and MNOG, and make a cartoon show with at least 10 episodes.
But realistically speaking, the only thing Lego would want to do with Bionicle now is forget about it entirely. I don't think they'd ever like to touch it after the failure of G2. At this point even a Slizer reboot would seem more likely. Which I would love. Slizer is just the kind of crazy, experimental concept that could be used as a last ditch effort to revitalize Constraction sets.

Yes. Considering how massive the story is though, you may need to take a few days to get through it all.

What about a Bionicle Movie? Like The Lego Movie?
I really hope that Ninjago will flop. It's just a shitty weries for,toddlers. G3 is still possible.

>weries

>Wanted to write series
>It gets weries
>Fuck my tab

Imagine a Bionicle Live Action movie directed by Michael Bay. How it would be? How qould you feel about it?

>live action
Why though, that would miss the point

bump

A Bionicle movie based on the Mata Nui story up to the Bohrok could be neat, assuming it doesn't get rewritten into formulaic affair. Hell, play it as a straight action flick starring robots and you could have some kind of gold on your hands.

>Like The Lego Movie?
So, intercut live-action segments in which somebody who used to be a Bionicle fan finds all their old toys and puts them all back together as a means of capturing nostalgia? I could see that. Sort of. Kind of.

>Still remember reading the finale years ago.
>Mfw Mata Nui kills Makuta by smashing his head against the moon.

A movie in theory could be great, but Bonkle's too different from your normal Lego fare to outright adopt the formula set by the current Lego movies. It wouldn't work, it would need to be its own thing done in its own style. Lego also used to be really strict about not even suggesting that Bionicle and humans can coexist in the story.

Sayger was shit and couldn't draw

Heh. Now I want to see Gali and Aquaman go on outrageous adventures together.

Not to mention Onua accidentally digging into the Batcave.

Okay, enlighten me friends:

I dropped this series during the Toa Hordika arc, do we EVER get to see Toa Nuva again?

Yes, they show up in the immediate following arc, only to get almost killed by Bionicle's version of niggers and sidelined again for two years. Then they get back to the spotlight in the 2008 arc, in new designs that look nothing like their old selves.

Reminder: this official character from the Hero Factory TV show was partially modeled after a sexy Bionicle bunnygirl MOC.

>using shoulderplates as breastplates
kik
I hate it when franchises bounce protagonists around like this

>give the designers some budget to work with, and market it for fuck's sake.

They HAD budget and they DID market it. Problem was that they pissed both away like total retards with shit like creating seven solid gold masks for competitions and aiming most of the marketing at elitist G1ers that fucking hated Hero Factory and the simplified story and lore of the reboot.
It also didn't help that the same team that designed the sets was also responsible for the promoting and story so you ended up with those impossibly retarded designer vids where they talked fuckall about the design process and just dicked around with the sets like little kids.
Could YOU imagine Faber going "pewpewpew!" in front of a camera to promote his work?

Who needs Bionicle if you can have Star Wars?!

>the Piraka had them enslaved and maskless in their base
So they definitely took turns smashing Gali's biomechanical puss, right?

Ouch.

I'm not too sure.
>Zaktan: too preoccupied with sniffing Makuta gas
>Hakann: thinks too highly of himself to touch a lowly Toa
>Thok: too afraid that the others rigged Gali's crotch with explosives
>Vezok: Vezon got away with his dick
>Avak: too much of an insecure faggot
>Reidak: maybe

I hope one shows up in the Lego movie sequel.

He could just be a gag scene, like in the Lego Backlot game where there's the one random matoran drinking coffee in the diner and he tells you to piss off.

Fuck mang Keetongu is HEUG

>a fucking G2 Makuta

Were the Piraka all basically black people?

WE WUZ WARLORDS AND SHIEET

The one good thing that could have come out of the Mouse acquiring SW would have been rescinding the license so Lego actually has to try again, but of course they didn't.

Now, see, I'd have fucking bought that. Look at that majestic motherfucker. He'd be great to pose against my various Kopakae.

>Lego Movie 2
>Technic is brought in as the Antagonist, meant to represent the kid from the first movie growing up and losing his imagination and creativity in favor of utility and realism
>Technic "characters" and vehicles take over the Lego lands easily, despite the Lego characters putting up as best of a fight as they can
>Master Builders can't use Technic pieces to build anything, because they're unfamiliar with it
>Before Emmet and Wyldstyle are "killed", the Toa Mata appear and kick the Technic's ass
>The Toa are Master Builders who can use Technic, because they are Technic
>They act as a middle ground between the utility of Technic and the creativity of Lego
>Help the Lego save the day, kid finds equilibrium between creativity and utility and the Lego and Technic people live in harmony after that

Legit:
lego.wikia.com/wiki/8761_Roodaka

Technically you can buy him, but he's a seven set combiner model, so good fucking luck.
>tfw had the foresight to buy most of G2 in duplicate

They should've combined Onua and Pohatu into one character, or given one of them a different element. Separating rock and earth is just dumb.

FUND IT

No. TLM2 is about a musical where Emmet,his sister and the gang try to save Batman from other dimensions.

Yeah I only bought the G2.1 Wairuha Toa and one Matoran, and G2.2 Kopaka. I wanted to buy some of the beasties for parts but never got around to it.

Is that Makuta really an official combiner, though? Like, with instructions and everything? That seems pretty dope.

>implying the middle ground between technic and system isn't Mixels

>Only Toa of light the whole series
>Disappeared from the story for years.
>Came back right when he was needed swol as fuck
Takanuva was the coolest

It is official in that it appeared in the Netflix series, but TLG refused to release instructions. Based designers didn't give a fuck however and uploaded enough references to easily build the model.

It's a huge shame we'll never get his Mask though, ESPECIALLY given it could have easily been packed with Umarak the Destroyer, the ONLY SET IN THE LINE not to come with a bonus mask except for the small 10$ sets. Fuck TLG.

It was but they never officially released the instructions for god knows what reason.

In fact, this was one of the more overlooked issues with G2:
Remember all those dozens upon dozens of Rahi combiners that they released instructions of in magazines and on the net?
There were fuckall of those in G2 and in fact, Lego straight up refused to release instructions for stuff like the Umarak/Onua combiner seen in Journey to One with no reason given.

Maybe it's my cynicism, but I can't imagine any of these films presenting Bionicle in a positive light. Old-school AFOLs fucking despise the franchise with a passion and modern day kids don't give a fuck. At best, I can imagine some more sight gags, background references or a cameo, or perhaps a quick joke at Bionicle's expense, like the "don't need to mention them" scene from the first movie.

The combiner's cash as fuck, by the way. Since it was never actually released via TLG themselves, the designers didn't have to retard-proof the build and were free to go apeshit with the design. And go apeshit...they did.

If it makes you feel any better, the designers released build references for this one, too. It's a pretty decent combiner, wish I had the budget to buy a spare Onua and Umarak for it. Might try to bricklink parts for one from my spare parts from the Makuta build someday.

The old sets were divided more by environment and color rather than any concrete elemental distinction, so that's why they had to similar-ish Toa. One for the brown desert and one for the dark underground caves.

Seriously, SOMETHING must have happend behind the scenes that they put in more effort into completely erasing G2's existence almost on the spot than into fixing their mistakes, especially since the theme started to become good again with the comic books, a series, novels, etc.

>Came back right when he was needed swol as fuck and mastered both light and dark
Ftfy

Man, what was going on with G2? It produced some really nice models but it seems like the executives were doing everything they could to fuck the series over. At least I got based Linebacker Snowman out of it.

The Mouse happened.
They thought Star Wars constraction setss were selling poorly because kids prefer Bionicle for action figures.

Holy fuck if this is true

As if I didn't already want to firebomb D*sney HQ for murder-raping Star Wars and thoroughly ruining Marvel, if they killed Bionicle they've pretty much singlehandedly buttfucked my childhood.

Yeah but Pohatu usually sold the worst because kids didn't like brown pieces even though they loved his giant feet.

I've genuinely never seen anyone ever buying those.
Most of the Lego aisles in toystores around here are literally clogged up with them, including the ones from two years ago, and even the official Lego store here still has the old Vader figures en masse.

Nobody's buying them because they're shit. The only ones that are even a little good are Grievous and Vader. Good for parts packs, I guess.
>tfw The Mouse's next move is probably going to be claiming they aren't selling because Constraction is a flawed building system
>tfw Constraction and Bionicle will both die because of Disney

Grevious is good because he's basically a bionicle already.

>tfw Pohatu was the first G2 Toa I bought because they decided to turned him into Mad Max

I really like Bionicle but I can't remember or connect any of the names to anyone. They're just too completely different for me.

You are weak

There were fuckups going on, which were major part of G2's essence since the start. Let me count the ways.

Lego unintentionally revealing the line's return prematurely through a filename on Twitter.
Reaching out only to fans instead of marketing stuff to kids, thinking BZP was still relevant.
Toning down advertising because the consumer demand for non-Constraction sets is too big, missing the opportunity to promote Constraction.
Showing they took inspiration from MNOG even though the resemblance was barely surface-level.
The typos and formatting errors on the website.
The Golden Mask contest which amounted to nothing but a huge waste of resources and making some big ego MOCist even richer.
Embarrassing designer videos that barely touch on the subject.
Webisodes leaking via foreign YouTube channels months before the intended release.
No other storytelling material for months.
Books focusing on last year's toys instead of the current line.
Graphic novels full of QUALITY artwork and errors.
Those odd promo comics that had a dog-eared Lewa and artwork traced from a Transformers comic.
Magazines randomly namedropping Kulta and the Matoran, fans being left confused if the names are canon.
Stuff like the Golden Skull Spider mask and the '16 poisoned masks never coming up.
A freelancer writer suggesting that maybe the characters should have basic attributes like names, genders and personalities, and Lego's people acting like this is the most revolutionary concept ever.
Same writer complaining the story outlines he was given made no sense.
The Toa's personalities changing from one year to the next.
The Journey to One in general, especially after Lego told the creators to just stop and they shat out an ending that made less than zero sense.
Hiding JtO on Netflix and not even advertising it to kids.
The Mask of Time foreshadowing amounting to nothing.
Someone on the web team updating Bionicle.com with obsolete story data half a year after the line was already over.