So I read this recently

So I read this recently.

I guess I just don't get the appeal? The antagonistic SHIELD Captain was great, but everything else just seemed pretty random.

Am I missing something?

Other urls found in this thread:

peterdavid.net/2012/10/19/column-x/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>but everything else just seemed pretty random
That's the point. It's the absurdity and awesomeness of the superhero genre distilled into a diamond of wondrous insanity.

It's great.

It feels like a British comedy set in a corner of the Marvel universe.

And I love it.

If something that's meant to be funny doesn't strike you as funny it can't really be explained into being funny.

It's simultaneously a celebration of the high-paced imaginative lunacy of comic books and a cynical sendup of the Marvel Universe and the cape genre generally. Stuart Immonen's pencils give static images the feel of a high octane cartoon coupled with Ellis's snide commentary to create an enjoyable dissonance.

And now Elsa is my waifu.

>they made Marvel Legends figures of Elsa and Monica
>they're only in a giant bundle
At least I have Machine Man.

I like it but it probably seemed funnier at the time, because it was Ellis's parody of a kind of superhero comic that had been big in the early '00s: morally ambiguous militaristic "edgy" stuff with lots of gratuitous explosions.

It was a style Ellis helped create with The Authority but Marvel kind of codified it with Ultimates, and this is really a parody of Ultimates including a direct reference to the most famous line in it, the "France" bit.

I still think it's funny and it was the first work by Immonen I really like (his art always looked watery and dull to me, and then with this comic - even though he was using the same inker - he got more cartoony and has been a good artist ever since).

SHIELD isn't HATE you FUCKING CUNT.

Christ I finally got the first reference and I feel ashamed it took me this long

The Captain never

I feel your pain, user. At least they made Dirk Anger?

>Millar licks goats
I don't get it.

What's there to get? He licks goats.

For real?

Of all the people I've seen not lick goats, none of them were Mark Millar. Do the math.

When the word flick is written in caps and with a the old comic lettering, it ends up looking like "fuck." Peter David recalled a situation during the 80's:

peterdavid.net/2012/10/19/column-x/

>I mean, heck, I still think it’s Dickensian that his name is Clinton. Long time comic fans know that “Clint” is one of those names you never use in comics (Hawkeye’s ID the rare exception) because the L and I can run together to create a whole new word. Same with “flick.” It’s a rule that I used to think was silly until I was present when the powers at be at Marvel got an irate letter from a woman over a then-recent issue of Power Man/Iron Fist (I think it was) wherein a villain threatened, “I will flick you like a fly!” and the letter writer misread it.

In fact this is probably why Mark Millar named his magazine CLINT.

what is the reference?

I find this more interesting than it actually is.

For really real.
It's a parody of the way they couldn't say flick in comics because the ink would run and you'd get fuck. Look at the sign again. the f is behind the Captain's arm.

nah

>Am I missing something?
A sense of humour.

>The antagonistic SHIELD Captain was great, but everything else just seemed pretty random.
>Am I missing something?
nah, you're just an asshole, but that's ok

Does he actually have a rape shirt

I don't think the reference on the page goes further than West Side Story.

[Unintelligible British insults]

Who's that meant to be below Millar? Milligan?

Ennis

Ennis.

Durr. Right, cheers, Sup Forums