Does she deserve her success and is being held back by artists worse than her...

Does she deserve her success and is being held back by artists worse than her, or is she an amateur creator who got wildly lucky?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IAhozLQLF-U
knowyourmeme.com/photos/1029773-anime-was-a-mistake
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>she
That's just an ugly boy, user. Stop lying.

I'm worried I might think my art is better then they really are.

She's incredible talented. It's no mystery why Steven Universe got picked up; it's creative, cool, and marketable, and the creator is good at music as a bonus so that's one less schmuck you have to hire.

I'm so in love with her

She's doing well by representing minorities in her show; I'll give her that. However, regarding story telling, you'll find me more critical.

Nah, it's just that CN knew it would make money. SU just takes the worst of Regular Show and Adventure Time and adds identity politics to the mix to create a property that targets this generation of teens. And you know what? It fucking worked.

I will give her props for her designs but that's really about it.

Why wouldn't she earn it? She's a rather talented artist who worked a good amount of years in the industry before managing to get her show going. She got to the tell the story she wanted to tell while she was on it and that deserves respect just because some people don't like lesbians talking about being lesbians.

She is very talented and smart, her show just sucks because of the way she chooses to run it by letting all of her retarded storyboarders off of tumblr do whatever they want. Pug Davis is great and I hope she'll make it into an adult oriented cartoon after she's done with SU.

I can't unsee a monkey-face from that pic.

She kinda looks like someone with William's Syndrome.

>Does she deserve her succes

yes.

>is being held back by artists worse than her

no

> or is she an amateur creator who got wildly lucky

yes.

didnt she want to rape he kid sister?

I don't like gay metaphors in cartoons designed for children.

She tends to be the best thing about any show she works on. She earned it.

Shes actually pretty talented, but is held back by those around her. Steven Universe could have been amazing show, had it not been limited to a G rated kids series, and if the plot actually advanced at all.

Alot of the stuff she did before Steven Universe was actually kind of cool.

she's definitely got talent but she's holding herself back by enabling her staff's bullshit.

YOU are the one who makes it about Identity politics.

Steven Universe has gay characters in the show in a way that is not forced and is natural with the storyline.

No one says: "Oh look identity politics!" if a show has only white heterosexual characters, and no one should say it when a show has some gay characters. if an artist wants gay characters as a part of his show, he should have the artistic freedom to do so and you should shut up your mouth and stop making it about politics.

And btw, Steven Universe is much better than Regular Show

I understand and appreciate what she is trying to do with representation and more mature subjects, while that sometimes works well, it doesn't always work. I mean fusing should not have been so blatently obvious in what it was trying to be to the point of Garnet spreading her legs when she actually combines.

But when it comes to world building, storytelling and consistency with thier art there is a LOT if improvements to be made.

There are sprinkles of world building under mountains of filler. And the characters are off model so often it isn't even funny

Why isn't Peridot a main gem at this point? she actually learned the value of earth and defected from the main force trying to destroy it. Unlike Pearl and Garnet who protect earth for self centered reasons

And I know Steven is fat and cries a lot is a meme but it's so fucking true. This kid cries about anything and everything and it gets grating

There is so much singing and crying in this show and a lot of it happens for no reason

There you got my input on Steven Universe OP, I hope your happy

Also Sugar should be ashamed of making EEnE yaoi

She got lucky

Also she's fugly

You're thinking of Lena Dunham, and she didn't want to, she did.

Have you ever seen an episode of Steven Universe? I dislike the show myself, but your complaints sound like near insane babble, I mean, Identity Politics? The fuck are you even talking about?

Why do you call this ugly boy "she"?

She deserves her success. Steven Universe is excellent.

Besides being the creator of Steven Universe, she was also a writer and storyboard artist in the early seasons of Adventure Time

Why not both? She's both talented but got incredibly lucky. She only had to work on one show and that show just happened to be a huge hit. And thanks to Ward having similar attitudes of "Let the boarders take control", she was able to put her touch on certain episodes while also getting the credit for it and winning awards for it.

She probably wouldn't be where she is now if she got hired to work on Superjail instead of Adventure Time or something. And I think that's where the luck comes into play.

Not about lgbt lol. I'm talking about consent.
Sugar said that she wanted to teach kids about consent, and fusions and how their done is basically symbolism for consent (and obvious symbolism at that).

The problem is that the target audience for CN are kids, and unless their older (and they'll already know about consent) and this'll pass by. It's really only there for adults to be like "Wow, I love the fact that kid shows these days are so progressive." And it fucking worked. It's like Mr. Plinket's episode 7 review.

>SU staff board episodes
>quality fluctuates between average and godawful
>Sugar boards an episode or scene
>quality increases significantly
Why is this allowed?

>Does she deserve her success
yes fuck off

>Consent is "identity politics"
I don't think you know what identity politics means.

And also the subject is presented in a very natural way that is not forced

>Zuke is on board
>"BETTER TALK ABOUT THEM SOCIETAL PROBLEMS EH?"

>consent
>identity politics

How fucking dumb are you

I think he means virtue signalling

Because Sugar is a talented person with weak leadership skills. The poor quality control came from her not being strict enough with her staff and not making the difference between having a individual style and sloppy boarding clear.

I'll take the L for saying consent is identity politcs (my bad) but

>And also the subject is presented in a very natural way that is not forced

Then what the fuck is this then youtube.com/watch?v=IAhozLQLF-U

The whole scene is about how tricking people into having sex is bad. 'I’m sorry, it’s just so much fun being Sardonyx with you' basically translate into "I like having sex with you" without having to say sex.

The only people that won't see the symbolism are people that don't understand consent.

She's being held back by other artists, but because she can't run her own animation properly.

She is skilled, but she has bad decisions. Two of the biggest issues, the Art Inconsistency and the wild plot deviation (I.E. Lapidot scenario) where she gave those under her TOO MUCH free reign and they went too hog wild with it.

Can you give me examples? I watched every episode of Steven Universe, and while some parts were much better than others, there wasn't a single moment where i thought it's "bad"

This scene isn't about "tricking people into sex is bad". it's about the fact that it's bad to cheat your friends.

Fusion in Steven Universe is not sex. Rose had actual sex with Greg and it was not fusion

Both. She's really strong at getting her ideas out there, and she can come up with a convincing concept. Problem is, she can't put her damn foot down and she lets her artists and writers shit up what could have been a much more solid project.

This is a fake meme, she never actually said it:
knowyourmeme.com/photos/1029773-anime-was-a-mistake

No one thinks the X was s mistake meme is real dumbass

Nigga, it's literally never too fucking soon to start teaching kids lessons about the various aspects of life. You're sitting here telling me it's a bad thing that a kids show is teaching them about consent just because they might only fully realize it in a couple years.

What this user said. Are you saying the symbolism is too subtle for children, but not subtle enough for adults, or something? Or are you complaining that these lessons are being taught at all?
Also, you said SU was targetted towards teens, but the targeted audience for CN is for kids, but the teens won't understand the symbolism anyway?
The fuck are you even trying to say?

>That feel when Sucrose is one year younger than I am and has already accomplished so much more than I ever will

Not him but fusion is highly symbolic of sex

It is extremely apparent if you watch the dances and the other character's reactions to said dances that it is the case

Things im saying:
1. I'm saying that fusion does not symbolize sex. this is just a Sup Forums meme

2. The subject of consent is not only about sex, though it also applies to the subject of sex.

Things i never said:
1. I never said SU is aimed at teens. it's a show for all ages

Fusion is not sex.

The one time Pearl closed the eyes of Steven was because she didn't want to steven to see the scary force that is Suggalite.

Garnet literally spreads her Letha for amethyst

What is this thenOr did you get confused and think I was talking about you here in my original post.

Different user here.
Yes, it implies consent more than sex itself. However our culture heavily integrates the two, to the point where saying the word consent typically has any person from a 1st world country (speaking english anyways) brings sex to mind. Not to mention the actions that lead up to the fusion.
The dancing which is sometimes heavily implicit of sexual advances. The design of their faces as they reach the climax of the fusion dance. The THROWING themselves at each other.

'Everything' about Fusion heavily implies sex, which makes it fucking weird when it comes to things like Steven doing it with Connie, or the fact that Pearl tricked Garnet into fusing her, or the fact that this is heavily themed in a G-rated children's animation.

True, but it's a part of the dance user.

Are you implying Steven has sex with amethyst when they fuse to smokey quartz?

Are you implying Garnet is just having a non-stop sex party or something that she doesn't wanna stop?

Fusion is not sex, just face it. Rose had actual sex with Greg and it wasn't fusion

Motherfucker you leave snufkin alone.

Maybe it's because you have a very sexual mind and you try to interpret it as sex.

I will repeat this again: Rose had actual sex with Greg and it wasn't fusion

Watching the series it may appear heavily gradual, but when you 'compare' it on an episode to episode basis, even back to back, looking for the animation quality, it hits like a truck.

It's like...

When you watch a show or movie you easily lose yourself to the show or movie. But if you look for quality or just notice it once it fucking hounds you to the end. Idk what the term is but it's along the same lines as breathing.

Normally it's natural but the moment you think "I am breathing and I think about breathing" you can't help but consciously breathe, thinking about it.

It's a metaphor you dumbass lmao. How fusion works is that both parties have to agree that they they want to fuse. If either party isn't feeling it, then they can't fuse. Just like sex.

>Nigga, it's literally never too fucking soon to start teaching kids lessons about the various aspects of life.
>Using T.V to teach kids basic lessons about life.
That's what parent and teachers are for kiddo. I don't think a parent or a guardian will forget to teach kids about this shit.
>B-BUT WHAT ABOUT SHOWS ON PBS?
Boi I don't remember any valuable life lessons from Barney lmao

>Are you saying the symbolism is too subtle for children, but not subtle enough for adults, or something? Yeah pretty much.

Also, you said SU was targetted towards teens, but the targeted audience for CN is for kids, but the teens won't understand the symbolism anyway?
The fuck are you even trying to say?

I'm trying to say that Rebecca's plan of "teaching kids about consent" doesn't fucking work when you're on a network that targets to eight year olds who probably don't care or even see the symbolism because they just wanna see fight scenes and shit. I watched Gundam Seed when I was 5 but I didn't even realize there was a plot to it.

Boi you're not me get the fucc outta here

You're being willfully ignorant to not see sex and consent as going hand-in-hand with one another and fusion primarily invoking those thoughts.

No one gives consent to let someone else eat their lunch or gives consent to sleep on their couch.

Well as the show went on, the storyboards has gotten sloppier. Take Peridot for example, the first left one was her very first appearance with the robo limbs. Then we move on to the second where she lost them; originally she had good proportions, even if she's shorter you can tell she is a adult and you can tell how the robo limbs made her taller without looking weird. But as you go farther down the lines of Peridots the proportion becomes wonky, her head makes up for half her height and there's no way giving the limbs to the farthest right Peridot will make her look like the very first one.

Did...

Did you read what I typed? Did you not see the evidence? So far all you posted was "Hurrr user has sex on the brain"

Yes. Greg and Rose did the continental plate crush. He drilled her molten core. She took his deposits. He mineraled her geode.

BUT that doesn't change the fact that Fusion highly sexualized.

It's not a metaphor to sex, it's just not!!!

It's something completely different that exists in the fantasy world of SU that doesn't exist in reality.

Just because both sides need to agree in order to fuse doesn't make it the same as sex, silly. even for playing a videogame both sides need to agree

I believe she's super talented but her forte is episodic. Don't know how other artists influence the show's pacing, but even though the foreshadowing is amazing, it's getting on my nerves.
I'd watch a movie directed by her. But her crew in the show is really flawed.

how do you measure her success? Is her show considered successful?

It'd be a pretty nice accomplishment if SU beats out both Mickey Mouse and Adventure Time at the Emmys this year.

You can't just look at the evidence that seem to confirm your theory. you also need to look at the counter-evidence that prove it wrong.

There are plenty of things that prove without a shadow of a doubt that Fusion is something completely different from Sex.

>It's not a metaphor to sex, it's just not!!!
Christ, you type like a hurt little tumblrina who just turned 17.

>it's just not!!!
>not!!!
>!!!

You know there are subtle clues as to hint to a person's personality as they type or respond to things. How they word things or what they decide to put into their post.

You uh... You enjoying your safari into Sup Forums, tumblr-chan? Before the start of the next semester?

that's hilarious because I believe it's completely true and yet Zuke was fucking nuts calling her a sociopath

>And also the subject is presented in a very natural way that is not forced
Except in that one episode about street racing. Seriously, wtf?

I don't remember ever seeing peridot looking like the last three images to the right.

Can you please show me the episodes where she looks like that? (i'm not saying the image is not correct, i just want to see it directly in the show)

Sugar says she wants to teach kids about consent, fusion plays a big role in that, so either she is doing a poor job writing in her own themes or fusion is mostly an allegory for sex and consent.

>you also need to look at the counter-evidence that prove it wrong.

Very true.
I'm waiting for evidence to counter my claim. Anytime now.

Now you're being retarded here. You have no tangible proof that it's not a metaphor other than "IT'S JUST NOT YOU JUST HAVE SEX ON THE BRAIN LOL"

It's past you're bed time kid.

She is held back by her terrible fanbase and thinking crying is funny

>gays
>natural

Oh yha!!!! now it all makes sense!!

When rebecca black talked about: "We want to teach kids about consent" it was about that episode where the creep guy tried to approach Stevonnie without her consent.

That's it!

You see guys? you are all just trying way too hard to make fusion about sex when it's really not

>or fusion is mostly an allegory for sex and consent.
consent is not only sexual, but also romantic and about social interactions
fusing represents relationships and personal connections, no need to make everything sexual even though it definitely has some strong undertones.

That comic was fucking awful.

Evidence that fusion is not sex:
1. Fusion does not involve sexual pleasure.

2. Fusion is used most of the time for combat, suggesting that it's supposed to be an alien combat technique.

3. If fusion is sex, it means Garnet is having a non-stop sexual experience for years. doesn't make any sense

4. Steven fused with amethyst and connie. this would make zero sense if fusion was sex.

5. Greg had actual sex with rose, proving that there is sex in the world of this show, and that sex is NOT fusion

>That's what parent and teachers are for kiddo. I don't think a parent or a guardian will forget to teach kids about this shit.
Yes, it is, and parents should be teaching those lessons. But you're saying it's a bad thing cartoons are reinforcing those lessons because???
>Boi I don't remember any valuable life lessons from Barney lmao
Are you really shit-talking fucking Mr. Roger right now, user? Do you really wanna burn the bridge your standing on that hard?

>I'm trying to say that Rebecca's plan of "teaching kids about consent" doesn't fucking work when you're on a network that targets to eight year olds who probably don't care or even see the symbolism because they just wanna see fight scenes and shit. I watched Gundam Seed when I was 5 but I didn't even realize there was a plot to it.
So? You act like these lessons are the only thing going on in the cartoon, they're supplementary you fucking retard.

>Boi you're not me get the fucc outta here
The fuck are you even talking about! I never said I was you, can you not fucking read?

>I have seen every episode
Bullshit detected m8.

Cool, let's say you're right. That episode was still one of the most poorly written episodes in the whole show.

the proportions don't look good across episodes. They're general heights relative to the character they're standing next to during an episode. Garnet is taller than Pearl, who's slightly taller or of similar height to Lapis, who's taller than Steven and Amethyst, and limbless Peridot is around Steven's height as well. Steven has faced a significant design change from season 1 to a more chibi, cuter form with less emphasis on fat jokes.

>When rebecca black

Oh no they teach life lessons in a show for children! The horror!

I watched every episode and i even watched every internet short of the show.

Oh wait... there is only one episode i skipped: it was the Uncle Grandpa+Steven Universe crossover

>a lot of the stuff she did before SU was actually kind of cool

Like all that EEnE smut she drew?

Then you're either lying or have zero eye for animation because numerous, blatant animation/continuity errors make their way into the show constantly.

unrelated, but go watch that episode, it's not bad.

The only error i noticed was that the gem of Fluorite changed shape in the episode about the Off Colored gems. and it was such a tiny error it didn't matter to me

I'm sure there were plenty of other animation errors though, im just telling you what i noticed.

>Not him but fusion is highly symbolic of sex
Fusion is highly symbolic of relationships, romantic and platonic, not sexual ones specifically.

I consent to sleeping in the same bed with you?
I consent to sharing my secrets with you?
I consent to going out to dinner with you?

Really, tell me what other scenario people use the term "consent" in that isn't sexual or intimate touching.

GAY
HUGGING

that shit was too vanilla to even be considered smut to be honest

I think she does pretty well story wise, it can be frustrating that things move at such a slow pace but it makes character development so much more enjoyable, nobody would say the Steven of the first season is the same person as the Steven of now. To many writers try to make everything happen as quicly as possible so that later it feels like a character regresses if the series goes to long, like Korra.

This.

Pug Davis was kind of like Porco Rosso in space.

Both. She's a way better artist and animator than most of her crew, but she's also a first time show creator.

Okay, in turn.

1. The way fusion is described and depicted in the show, it does give immense satisfaction. Example; fucking Pearl going off the deepend to fuse with Garnet

2. Yes, that is how fusion is used in the show. You know, except for other aspects, like Garnet being a fusion because Ruby and Sapphire love each other, or Fluorite being a fusion of 6 because they love being so united. And just because they 'use' it for combat it doesn't negate the gem's approach to it in a bizzarely erotic (AKA SEXUAL) manner.

3-4. You're clearly not apprecative on how depraved people can be. Especially artists that depict work on DeviantArt and Tumblr. And the LGBTQ community altogether (seriously, reaallly out there)

5. Again, just because they had actual sex on the show that doesn't change how Fusion is depicted. But if you want to put it like that... Because Gems are SILICON BASED LIFEFORMS that is THEIR "VERSION" of sex, while we Carbon-based organic lifeforms have the sex we know. Rose just took part in Greg's version, Connie just took part in Steven's Gem's version.

I'm still willing to hear actual evidence to the contrary.

>I consent to sleeping in the same bed with you?
Yes. It is. And very crystal clear I might add.
>I consent to sharing my secrets with you?
Yeah.
>I consent to going out to dinner with you?
Also yeah.
Because in every situation, if you do those things and I don't want to, it's a form of harrassment.

I'll try my best ( there's a lot of episodes )

Third from right: "The New Crystal Gems" s4
Second from right: "Gem Harvest"? s4
Far right: "Room for Ruby"? s4

Didnt she also make a little comic where she was in a love triangle with zim and dib or something?
Or was that Nefcy who did that?

In legal stuff

Both, she's not willing to crack the whip, but even if she was she still couldn't because she doesn't have the authority.

Made me actually laugh. I had fun.

But he was great in spider man homecoming user.

Pic related

>Yes, it is, and parents should be teaching those lessons. But you're saying it's a bad thing cartoons are reinforcing those lessons because???

Out of all of things that need reinforcing via media, I really doubt that fucking consent is a major issue cartoons need to tackle.
>Are you really shit-talking fucking Mr. Roger right now, user? Do you really wanna burn the bridge your standing on that hard?

Eh, fair. I'll take that L.

>So? You act like these lessons are the only thing going on in the cartoon, they're supplementary you fucking retard.

It's still apart of the show regardless, just because they're other things going on in the show doesn't mean it should be ignored.

>The fuck are you even talking about! I never said I was you, can you not fucking read?

I was talking to someone else you dumbass. How's that reading comprehension buddy?