Artist Evolutions

To those unfamiliar this is early Jorge Jimenez. His early stuff was pretty generic and house style but it seems as the series started allowing the artists to go more off model from Tom Welling, it started getting better and better? Also, the Season 11 outfit was pretty good;

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UCkaCG-ZRUw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can only get stuff from Comixology Previews so if anyone has better examples of their own feel free to post em.

he also did the Wonder Loli so if anyone is interested in what a Kid WW done by him would look like. This is it

By the end, his Superman looked more like his current Superman right now (This is the best one I could find that really show his features)

in case you doubt those are from Smallville, here's a different one that shows how buffer his superman really got

Bachalo used to be really cool

oh wait, Bachalo still is really cool

Now Earth 2 is where he started really developing his current style with the heavier inks and more vibrant colors. This is the only example I can find with the "REAL" Superman in it (Not that I find anything wrong with the Zod guy but it's to show you how he progresses with Superman as the base)

Man I really didn't like how they made Lois Red Tornado, they should have just let her die rather than let her live in Earth-2 desu

He also had a brief stint on Superbro.

youtube.com/watch?v=UCkaCG-ZRUw

And some more Jimenez. It's a bit hard to watch since his accent is really thick and the guy on the mic asking questions doesn't have a good stage presence and Jimenez' translator is just as hard to understand.

oh and here's a decent full portrait drawing of his early Smallville Superman.

All his stuff now looks manga inspired

It seemed to evolve from Generic Style 1 to Generic Style 2.
It's still generic, nothing exceptional.

the only other artist that sorta reminds me of him is Humberto Ramos. Though in the interest of argument who are artists that you'd consider to be none-generic?

No he ain't.

travel foreman has a very distinctive anatomy and hatching style, my friends think he's a discount stuart immonen but I can tell them apart easily.

older artsist tend to be less generic but they only get diluted because newer artists tend to imitate them. george perez is a good example

>artsist

>oh no, he's hot!

reee yes he is

I really like the Sup Forums version of this, because all the comparison charts and shit. Does Sup Forums have any?

Tell me 10 artists with similar style as Jimenez.

>Robinson carefully makes it so no Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman characters are in Earth 2
>Next writers shove them in anyway

When he was drawing Smallville he was asked to draw in generic style. Then one day he asked the editor if he could play a bit with his art style and the result is pretty good.

hmm defo agree on foreman but he's hit and miss depending on what kind of book he's on and who's doing the coloring.

Ending was also kind of bitter sweet.

His art is still very house style to me. Being more stylized doesn't change that. It's not a bad thing, but I don't understand the suggestion that he's doing something unique now.

I'm fairly certain that's Michael Golden, user

Early Barry W Smith was a sort of Neal Adams clone. He then became one of the more recognizable artists in comics.

>older artsist tend to be less generic but they only get diluted because newer artists tend to imitate them. george perez is a good example

How many really imitate Perez though? Phil Jimenez is the guy I think who's an obvious Perez-style artist, but other artists (like some of the Image founders) who imitate him only take some superficial aspects.

>Early Barry W Smith was a sort of Neal Adams clone.

I don't think he was an Adams clone, his pre-Conan style had Steranko and Kirby influences.

I also think ANY of the publishing houses ask the new artists to stick to a similar style (thus the house style arguments people make). Good artists can get away from this style sooner rather than later and some artists never escape it.

But this is the same thing with music or with song writers (or scripts, be they TV or movie). Fuck, some people ARE hired purely because they do a song or a tv show in a recognizable way.

In Jimenez's case, I think it's that people think he's showing creativity (e.g.. pic attached)

and this, both of which I suspect are more 'feels' reactions than say 'great work/great art.'