00s - late 00s...

>00s - late 00s, cartoons are either largely if not completely episodic comedies going by the example set by most 90s shows, or action shows doing the same with little in between

>2010, suddenly Adventure Time and MLP FIM come out gaining cult like fanbases, blending what appear to be typical super young kid friendly shows with elements of action, adventure, and humor into one with lore/story driven elements
>Nearly every really popular show since then has basically followed this blueprint with some exceptions

We can basically attribute the modern age of shows like SU, Star, to these two shows right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TBm6nemYcNA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>00s - late 00s, cartoons are either largely if not completely episodic comedies going by the example set by most 90s shows, or action shows doing the same with little in between
You're insane. Good cartoons were a 2000s thing, with the exception of the mystery genre.

Pretty much, yeah, Gravity Falls too kind of added to that a little as well, but that was two years after the two shows you mentioned had already came out.

Not that shows with all of those weren't a thing before, it's just that AT and MLP set the trend of them being the norm, since AT more or less pulled CN out of the slump it was in called CN Real, while MLP took the internet by storm and made cartoons being watched by adults into being much more common place.

Also, Flapjack. I wasn't a fan of it my self, but people like Alex Hircsh, Pendelton Ward, and plenty of other animators and writers like Greenblatt all had a hand of working for it. The experience taken from said show left many impressions on the likes of Ward and Hircsh, and you can see it in their later cartoons.

>Pendelton

*Pendleton

I'm pretty sure I misspelled Alex's name too.

Oh, and also, several current show creators like Rebecca Sugar and Ian Jones Quartley have done the same that Pendleton and Alex did for Flapjack with Adventure Time. Using the experience they gained from working on it to create their own shows on CN and other networks.

Sugar especially loves using heavy emotional scenes and songs in SU, both of what she gained a knack for by doing in AT with tunes like this one.
youtube.com/watch?v=TBm6nemYcNA

Adventure time is undoubtedly the most important cartoon of this decade.

Yeah, AT sure was important... for sparking the self-destruction of the entire industry. Guess you could add the horse show to that as well.

But I'm sure many on Sup Forumsmblr appreciate the terrible, SJW-infused writing of modern cartoons that focuses more on dropping hints of MUH LOAR that never amount to much while failing to deliver quality individual eps.

I'm not too learned on MLP myself, but from what I do remember, Hasbro initially contacted Lauren Faust, a head writer for shows like PowerPuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and wife of Craig McCracken, creator of those shows as well as a writer on Dexter's Lab.
Hasbro cut a deal with her to create a new show for them, and she originally pitched the Galaxy Girls, I believe, a pet project for Lauren about a group of girls based on the 8 planets(and Pluto!), the moon, and the sun. Hasbro instead managed to change her mind and instead work on what would eventually be Friendship is Magic, MLP being one of Faust's favorite thing as a little girl growing up.
She directed Season 1 of the show before moving onto other things, one of them being Wander Over Yonder I believe, another show by Craig, but this time on Disney XD, but MLP only grew larger from the seeds Lauren planted.

It's actually pretty neat to think about how so many cartoons in the last three decades have all started from one or two shows and the writers from them moving on and making their own stuff.

Adventure Time is unironically the best cartoon this decade. To me, it isn't even close. It did inspire a lot of shit shows that followed, but that isn't reflective of its quality.
>MUH LOAR
90% of that is coming from the fanbase, not the show itself. When AT has actually dealt with lore stuff, it's been pretty good, see: Islands. Most of the show is episodic, and you'd know that if you actually watched it.

There's so much mediocre, trite garbage on T.V. today. Even if you hate AT, you've got to give it props for being truly one of a kind.

I didn't say it wasn't episodic, dumbass. What I said is that it and other modern cartoons try to do both (episodic with hints of lore) and fail at both.

>We can basically attribute the modern age of shows to CalArts right?
Fixed that for you

>all those buzzwords to cry about cartoons that trigger you because people who disagree with you on the interner like them
imagine being this pathetic.

They may be buzzwords, but with actual meaning.

Very much unlike your post.

>interner

What 'hints of lore' are you talking about though? AT, in general, doesn't focus on lore. It's not trying to tell an overarching narrative at all. When we do get lore stuff, it's always relevant to that particular episode, or story thread. People just bitch because they want some super plot-focused, lore-filled show, but that's not what AT is about. It's why a lot of fans jumped over to SU.

Yeah but MLP was better than AT

I won't bother refuting the other ones, but
>gravity falls
>among the best
It's probably among the most popular / memetic ones, but definitely not among the best.

>buzzwords
>actual meaning besides mindless whining.

Not only is it among the best, it's THE best. It's more enjoyable to rewatch than absolutely any other cartoon, even ATLA.

>Barney
>good
kys faggot

>what appear to be typical super young kid friendly shows
Out of the cartoons you listed only MLP was superficially for "super young" kids. They're all kid-friendly to varying degrees but AT, SU and Star were all pretty clearly going for the older kid/teen/young adult demographic range from the start.

>lore/story driven elements
All of those have continuity and some kind of ongoing plot, but they all handle them pretty differently.
AT handles its "plot" very loosely. While there's clearly a developing status quo between episodes it's still mostly stand-alone/episodic stories with ~lore~ episodes scattered among them. It doesn't really have a single clear focus beyond just showing Finn's life, and he's far from the only one in the spotlight.
SU has a more focused story but it moves at a glacial pace and takes its time with plenty of "townie" episodes. Until recently it felt like the show was stuck in a "the more things change, the more they stay the same" situation where any major attempt to shake things up just got absorbed into the status quo and moved into the plot's garage to pop up once in a while.
Out of all of them I think Star is the most strongly story-driven. It still has its episodic stretches but it does a good job of tying everything together and having it all build off each other when the plot resurfaces. Even in Season 1 which Disney explicitly influenced to be more like a standard cartoon, there's only around 6 of the 24 segments that you could skip without really missing anything important.

>Nobody remembers KND as one of the earliest shows to do something like this

It's okay. I'll always remember

KND plot episodes with the conspiracies and deep cover agents were the hypest shit, I didn't know what the fuck was going on half the time but they were awesome.

When the whole GKND hype was going on, I rewatched the whole series. I always liked it as a kid but as an adult, I can't believe how masterful of a show it was. Like it was all really well planned out. It's kind of sad that people only hold nostalgic memory for it and not fully appreciate how well it used it's characters and lore the way OP is describing it.

>SJW TUMBLR WAHHH
>legitimate criticism

okay

There isn't a shift in trend towards plot-based kiddie shows, it's just that they get more attention on Sup Forums because the people here need to autistically analyze a children's show and then when they fail to do so they blame the show's writing for not living up to their adult standards.
Just looking at episodic shows still running on cartoon network, we have clarence, mighty magiswords, gumball and teen titans fucking go. That's four shows, and how many serialized shows?
>with some exceptions

>anime is popular in the west
>cartoons start to copy anime
>cartoons that do that get popular
really makes you think

"I don't like popular opinion" the post
Adventure time is shit though

Case in point: Count how many of those are clearly animesque.

Cartoons should be targeting multiple audiences.
>You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney

>There isn't a shift in trend towards plot-based kiddie shows
tell us some mayor cartoons from 2000 and earlier that are not episodic you faggot

What about the Void storyline in Gumball?

>There isn't a shift in trend towards plot-based kiddie shows,
If we include Netflix, I would say there definitely is a clear ratio between plot and non-plot these days instead of it being one or two every year

Samurai Jack and Scooby Doo are the only shows here that aren't wildly uneven. Don't let the strength of the great episodes cloud how many bad ones the other shows had.

>Samurai Jack
>SDMI
>not wildly uneven
Go home user, you're drunk.

Use fucking commas.

>it used it's characters

*it used its characters

Rewatching it now, it's actually hilarious how thick Numbuh 3's asianspeak was at the beginning

Of course. I think a big part of this change is that the people making cartoons now are the people who were watching both cartoons and anime as kids. Kids don't want to be treated like kids. They like action. They like plots. They like character growth! They don't want to sit there and watch the same asinine shit day after day, you know? I think it was only a matter of time before something like this happened, and I'd like to think that we're starting to enter a golden age of cartoons that actually try to appeal to what their viewers want instead of what their viewer's parents want.

But the problem is that cartoon quality has gone down in all other respects. Far from a golden age.

I agree with you there. Re-reading my post, I misworded something. When I said "I'd like to think that we're starting to enter a golden age of cartoons", I'm not implying that there is one currently happening right now. I meant it as a "I'd like to think that these cartoons will push us towards a golden age."