Left is a cult classic that defines 90's childhood and a fun, nostalgic movie!

>Left is a cult classic that defines 90's childhood and a fun, nostalgic movie!
>Right is a HEINOUS ABOMINATION that symbolizes the DEATH OF HOLLYWOOD AND CREATIVITY EVERYWHERE

Someone explain how people actually think like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BMIeVErh7RA
youtube.com/watch?v=m719OZjyDzk
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoBadItsGood
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/SoBadItsHorrible
vox.com/summer-movies/2017/7/27/16037862/emoji-movie-review-garbage-fire-poo-patrick-stewart
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Space Jam is just a big build up for the scene in the end when the Looney Tunes start kicking ass

People actually care about Looney Tunes and basketball, who gives a fuck about emoji outside of memes and texting?

Space Jam has a cheesy charm to it and didn't rip off much better movies to force a cliche moral.

Why are you comparing the two?

People have nostalgia for Space Jam. Also it's a meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=BMIeVErh7RA

Both are heavily commercialized animated movies that don't even try to hide it.

While Space Jam is shit, it has at least great meme potential, isn't based on a trend and doesn't rip off other movies.

>Someone explain how people actually think like this?
they don't listen to the critics even though they know better than everyone what movie is good and what's terrible

The emoji movie hasn't had a masterpiece like Charles Barkley's Shut up and Jam Gaiden made off of it yet. Give it 10 years.

>Someone explain how people actually think like this?
Nobody thinks that

>Right is a HEINOUS ABOMINATION that symbolizes the DEATH OF HOLLYWOOD AND CREATIVITY EVERYWHERE
let me guess you literal autist, you didn't even watch it

One stars one of the holy trinity of American sports stars in Michael Jordan and the other stars professional film sidekick TJ Miller.

Yeah but Space Jam is actually good at being a heavily commercialized film. That movie sold a lot of tickets, action figures, vhs's, shoes and of course, albums.

Meanwhile aint nobody buying the Emoji Movie soundtrack.

>you lived long enough to see people defend a movie based off of Emojis

How the hell is the 12th highest grossing film of 1996 a cult classic? I thought that term was reserved for movies that filed at the box office but found an audience later, like Blade Runner. Speaking of which, the sequel is totally gonna bomb too.

All memes aside, if you're over, like, 16 you should realize that dumb fads come and go, all the time. There's nothing worth getting offended at something so silly and harmless as this. I doubt it's amazing, but I doubt it's the worst thing ever conceived (like some people on the internet would have you believe).

Space Jam is based on two franchises a lot of people love and hold close to their heart, and it uses those two franchises to make a unique crossover film.

The Emoji Movie is based on some smiley faces on your smartphone. People use emojis, but nobody's truly emotionally invested in those little things. They use these smiley faces to tell a story that I could watch literally anywhere else.

The right one was purely made to make money. You'd have to be retarded not to notice how desperate Sony is for something to make 20 sequels out of.

Oh, and another thing: many things that you enjoyed when you were a child was stupid shit. You almost definitely still enjoy stupid shit right now. Not everything that amuses you is going to being completely intellectual.

For once, I think xkcd made a good point.

Looney Tunes and Michael Jordan to an extent are timeless

Emojis are not.

Also, for all it's worth, can you really say there was or has been a movie exactly like Space Jam? It's pretty unique. Emoji Movie is like 2 or 3 different movies put into one.

"Space Jam" is cheesy as fuck, yes. It is a flat-out ridiculous film that should have no reason for existing, and yet it does. But it makes up for the utterly baffling idea of "Michael Jordan teams up with cartoon characters to play basketball against cartoon aliens" by being funny and genuine. There is no "irony" in the reverence paid to Jordan's ability as a basketball player or the love shown to the Looney Tunes. There is no cynicism in the film as a whole. Even if it was just a ploy to sell more Air Jordans or whatever, the film still works because it was a genuine, good-natured attempt to entertain people.

"The Emoji Movie" is an abomination precisely because it all the things "Space Jam" is not. It is a cynical ploy to cash in on a nebulous communications fad -- an "ironic" attempt to say something "deep" about modern culture and technology without actually saying much at all. It has no genuine love for "emojis" (as if such a thing could exist). The movie feels more like an actual advertisement for those apps shown throughout the movie. And the story feels as if it wants to be "Wreck-It Ralph" and "Inside Out" but cannot decide on which one.

"Space Jam" was a charming, genuine film that didn't try to be anything more than what it was. "The Emoji Movie" is a cynical cash-grab with no charm or "character" to make it worth watching.

>implying space jam isn't completely full of sports movie cliches

Cliches and tropes are not the enemy; bad writing is the enemy.

Sports movie cliches are timeless too. Cliches dont just appear out of the ether. Story beats become cliches because they get used alot, because they work.

Space Jam was genuine while the Emoji Movie is a low effort cash grab

That is no excuse to financially support or intentionally expose your children to garbage.

Emoticons > emoji

Question mark in a box movie makes no sense

I haven't seen the movie but I've heard that at some point in it, one of the characters says something like "writing is lame" and "emojis are the future". I think that's good enough reason to never watch it

>People use emojis, but nobody's truly emotionally invested in those little things.

Fucking THIS. People love "Space Jam" and "The LEGO Movie" and MCU/DCEU films partially because they have a pre-existing emotional investment in the characters or franchises (e.g., Michael Jordan, the Looney Tunes, LEGOs, Marvel/DC comics). Emojis are just digital icons with no actual character behind them; we can’t form an emotional attachment to emojis because there is nothing to form an attachment with. Basing an entire movie around emojis was the absolute first sign that this movie was a cynical cash-grab and nothing more.

>cliche = bad
Execution, my dude

the left was so bad it was funny
the right was so bad it was suffering

While Space Jam was indeed shit, it at least tried to be entertaining in its own rights, and even though it was just a big corporate ploy you could tell that the people in production at least gave it time, effort, and love. It's not a good film by any means but it's a film that honest to God tries, the level on animation on the Looney Tunes characters alone speaks volumes about this.

The Emoji Movie doesn't try to be anything more than it is. It's shameless, mediocre, and takes elements from several other recent animated features. At no point does it try to be unique, and if anything it almost revels in how bland it is.

If the emoji movie is a sign of Hollywood's death then..in that sense, its the greatest film ever.

It takes a lot more effort to get Michael Jordan to act than to fart out another dime-a-dozen CGI movie.

Hmmm....

Michael Jordan, one of the most beloved sports superstars to ever exist, the man who almost singlehandedly took basketball global or TJ Miller, a c-list actor best known for dying an hour into Transformer 4.

Which guy would people want to see a movie about more?

You just said why, they saw one as a kid.

Also because one had memorable songs.

I saw the thing last night I fucking cringed into my seat so hard. Every joke was more painful than the last and the writing was just atrocious. Literally anything could have been written and it would have been fixed. The characters felt so forced into this ridiculous plot and dialogue and most of the supporting ones like the villain Smiler were just one-note bland stereotypes, which is ironic because the fucking morals of this movie were aiming for that. The morals were terrible. Hi-5 was the only character that had any meaningful development (barely), because Gene and Jailbreak were forced into that shitty relationship at the end. Why did she reject him? Is it feminism, what was her plan? They straight up forget this plot point and make the story even more awkward later. Apparently the only way to be happy is to be in a relationship, a forced one at that. I could go on all fucking day and even that wouldn't be enough. What a fucking terrible movie. Everyone should be completely ashamed.

P.S. R.I.P Dance Girl, she and the trolls did not deserve their fate. The tone of the film was so hateful and fucked up.

I think "meh" is the first one

>I thought that term was reserved for movies that filed at the box office but found an audience later
Isn't that a sleeper hit? Also i thought a cult classic was a a film that was obscure but with a small dedicaded fanbase that really liked the movie, you know, kind of like a cult, but i don't think space jam is considerated obscure by any means.

>canon sequel to "Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam" and "Space Jam"
I'm eternally thankful that this game exists

Why isn't Barkley 2 out yet? It was supposed to release five fucking years ago.

>albums
Lets not forget the music still stands on its own
youtube.com/watch?v=m719OZjyDzk

As long as they re title the project
>Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: Forever
I'm satisfied.

If you think someone staring off to the side with a frown means "meh" you're more autistic than we thought user

I'd say if Space Jam was made the same way the Emoji Movie was that scene where they all drink water and turn the tide on the Monstars during the basketball game it would have been Mountain Dew.

Of clurse it's gonna bomb. It's up against the fucking my little pony movie. What family is not going to go see that?

This is innacurate. The Lego Movie was 100% Product Placement. Go for broke or go home yo

>left
>Looney Tunes, Michael Jordan and one of the most famous basketball superstars of the nineties, along with fucking Bill Murray and Newman
>right
>le ebin meme face + a Patrick Stewart that has given up on the world
Gee, I wonder.

Shit, it's over 100%, since the movie itself is an ad, and it contains product placement for other products and IP.

>It's called Forever because that's how long it'll take to be finished.

>The movie i 100% advertisement because it's advertising Lego
>There's Lego that is specifically movie tie-in products, making them in turn, advertisements for the movie

WE'RE IN A FEEDBACK LOOP! A PRODUCT-SUPERPLACEMENT

For what? I admit I didnt catch it, Imean.
Theres the Star Wars thing, but thats a product placement for Lego's own Star Wars line.

>Left is a film about popular cartoon characters meeting a popular sports personality in a film that blends both live-action and animation
>Right is a film about popular pictures people send each other in a fully animated film

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoBadItsGood
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/SoBadItsHorrible

It's at least still possible some decent parodies will come out of it. I'm waiting for the ASCII movie.

All those special legos, Batman especially. That meeting hall had all those basketball players and turtles and a billion other things I've forgotten. Krazy glue was the macguffin in the movie.

I am not in the US, so I thought the glue tubes were a generic brand.

So is the Lego Movie but that ones actually good and creative.

Space Jam isn't good but it is weirdly charming. At least some people where trying in there.

Is there anything in the emoji movie that was done with love?

Love of money?

I was thinking more along the lines of Blade Runner 2 being an R-rated upwards of 100 million dollar sequel to a kind of obscure 30 year old movie starring a movie star past his prime and a guy who other than La La Land doesnt have a big hit movie on his resume, but your point stands too.

Space Jam at least tries to be something other than a marketing gimmick aimed at children and the Looney Tunes have proven themselves capable of producing entertainment of artistic merit. The Emoji movie namedrops Instagram and Crackle for no other reason than hoping children will go home and download them.

>A story is just a buildup to its climax
Looks like it's time for you to go back and get that diploma!

I love that crackle might be in the movie. Not Netflix or Hulu, something a teenager might actually have as an app on their phone. No, Crackle.

Spoiler: Sony owns Crackle.

vox.com/summer-movies/2017/7/27/16037862/emoji-movie-review-garbage-fire-poo-patrick-stewart
>It’s amazing to witness the baldly commercial attempt to shove as many recognizable apps as possible into The Emoji Movie’s sad excuse for a plot: Crackle (owned by Sony), WeChat (hugely popular in China, where this movie is aiming to make a killing), Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and Dropbox all make appearances, with Dropbox in particular representing a kind of heaven that some of the emojis are trying to reach. And there are two whole sequences that add nothing whatsoever to the story but suggest that King and Ubisoft — the makers of the apps Candy Crush and Just Dance, respectively — paid handsomely for their inclusion in the film.

Space Jam is at least self aware to an extent. That was the entire point of Bill Murray.

I'll give that to the LEGO movie too.