Post only 10/10 comic book movie adaptations in this thread

Post only 10/10 comic book movie adaptations in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iuY8tmSUtzI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was a great movie, but it was far from a 10/10 adaptation.

>It was a great movie, but it was far from a 10/10 adaptation.

Dredd wasn't even good. It's Thursday-afternoon-on-FXX tier. Stop jerking off to it because Karl Urban was good, everything else about it wash bad.

>wash bad

Speed Racer movie was 11/10

Speed Racer is not Sup Forums.

Just about the only nitpick I can think of is that the death sentence is actually quite rare in the comics. Attempted murder on a judge is life in isocubes, not death.

I liked the Stallone one more that Dredd.
Now you all can get mad at me.

It had a cartoon and a comic book.

But Anderson a cute

>I liked the Stallone one more that Dredd.

*I liked the Stallone one more than Dredd.

I knkw it's Sup Forums and the movie is Sup Forums, but it's criminally underrated, especially the Grand Prix race.

Seems Sup Forums hates it because of the Nachosupremeskis.

Christopher Reeves superman

The Grand Prix scene was fucking great, especially when speed went from dead last to first. Also Racer X :(

still the best comicbook movie and I doubt it will be beat anytime soon

lol no

>Pros:
>Dredd kept the helmet on unlike Sylvester Stallone's Judge Dredd
>Karl Urban can scowl, also unlike Sylvester Stallone
>Actions scene are violent and visceral
>Overall tone is dark and gritty which is in line with the source material
>Creative use of a tight budget that limited effects options
>A good look into a day in the life of Dredd, though this is in and of itself a problem

>Cons:
>While the film rectified many of the flaws with the Sylvester Stallone Judge Dredd film, see above, its pursuit of gritty realism made the world of Megacity 1 more of a generic dystopia rather than the colorful, over top world of the comics which is half of what makes Judge Dredd so unique and enjoyable to read. Megacity 1 doesn't look or feel like the Big Meg. It looks like Detroit.
>Due the above and the limited budget for effects, the villain Mama was horribly forgettable in franchise with villains like the the Sov judges, Judge Cal, and especially the Dark Judges.
>Again, outside of serving as introduction to the world and Judge Anderson's first day, the day in the life of Dredd aspect of the film makes the plot very forgettable as well.

Overall I'd call it a 8.5/10. Leaps and bounds over the 90's Judge Dredd film by capturing the tone of the film but failing to capitalize on the source material and the aesthetic in a way Stallone's film tried but failed to do.

Some muthafuckas just wanna ice skate uphill.

Except he was a pussy.

Honestly, I think anything other than the "day in the life of Dredd" approach would've been a failure, at least for the first movie. Ma-Ma wasn't great, but Anderson and Dredd more than made up for her.
I definitely agree that Mega-City 1 was too generic, though.

>Dredd
>Sin City
>The Crow

That's the whole list.

As someone who doesn't like Dredd, this movie was fucking fun to watch.

Gentle reminder that Stallone argued to keep the helmet on.

This is fair, though I still think Dredd was a 5 on a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest.

Unrelated: I've gotten "CLOSE calle" at least 10 times in captcha.

That's common to both American adaptation. I don't remember if Dredd executed anyone before Griffith, and that was high treason by a Chief Judje in wartime.

How long until the Netflix show?

Or was it Griffin? Haven't read old Dredd in ages.

>netflix show
Never lol
And honestly, Netflix would ruin it

Mega City 1 (tv show) isn't going to be made by Netflix btw

10/10 movie, but not a 10/10 adaptation

it's in talks user, not sure how far along they are. But knowing how Netflix is just shitting out money, it will get approved

Hope not, they would CGI the whole thing just like they did with this:
youtube.com/watch?v=iuY8tmSUtzI

It's an amazing movie but I'd hesitate to call it a very good adaptation.

What pisses me off is that they could've AT LEAST made a point out of it. Like, made him only have the helmet off forcibly after the trial once he's convicted, as a kinda symbolic moment of Dredd being stripped of his uh, judgehood? You know what I mean.

Then at least helmet would MEAN something.

I saw it on boomerang when I was young
Dexter's lab referenced it.
It is Sup Forums you bitter autist.

MoS and BvS are more like modern myths instead of superhero movies
On the other hand the warehouse fight during BvS and the Power armor alone make it a better comic adaptation than marvel.

Regardless of how you feel about the death penalty in real life, it simply doesn't make sense for attempted murder of a judge to be an execution worthy offense. If it's life in isocubes, there's at least a chance the creep will surrender, but if he knows he's going to be executed on the spot if he does, there's no reason not to go out fighting and try and take as many judges with you as possible.

Though I wonder if that was on purpose to make the world more real, or if it was just an accidental benefit of UK sensibilities, even if it is supposed to be a satire of America.

Neither of those make it Sup Forums related you desperate autist.

Not sure if modern myths is the right word. But they're certainly making an effort to be artistic and epic, in the actual meaning of the word. Especially BvS tries to do for super hero movies what something like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly did for westerns, turning a genre movie into something with actual gravity.

Between it's length, it surprisingly involved plot, it's sociopolitical themes and its painterly visuals BvS seems to almost struggle a bit between embracing and denying its root in what is basically low brow pulp which is why it doesn't entirely work and has some hopelessly clunky parts.

Sure whatever user.

>what something like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly did for westerns, turning a genre movie into something with actual gravity.

Yes I mad.

Too bad it turned out to be a rancid pile of shit. They seem to have forgotten in their efforts to make some epic piece of cinema to make an actual well made movie that entertains. Instead we got the equivalent of 2/3 of a nolan movie and 1/3 of a Michael Bay movie, neither of which are any good.

Oh god no. I can see why someone would dislike BvS but Nolan and Bay? No man, that comparison is just plain wrong.

>modern myths

>Post only 10/10 comic book movie adaptations in this thread.
>10/10

10/10 doesn't exist on Sup Forums. That's a perfect score and nobody will ever agree on the same thing being perfect here, only 9/10. It's all subjective.

Ghost World, Road to Perdition, Art School Confidential, American Splendor

I think it's mainly because Mama REALLY pissed Dredd off. She tried to kill him AND the rookie under his watch, has been behind the drug that's been causing a lot of death and destruction in the city, AND got corrupt judges in on the act. And then she threatened the lives of everyone in the building a a cherry on top.

I rewatched the movie just last night actually, and the sentence is literally immediate execution for attempted murder of a judge. There's a scene early on where Anderson reads out the sentencing and executes an already downed perp. It's an acceptable enough break for a number of reasons, I'm just saying.

And granted, if you want to get really nitpicky, you could easily argue that death is just one possible sentence and in their situation was obviously the most logical choice.

A judge often has space to work within sentences. It's why there are minimum and maximums for many crimes.

> perfectly merges the Mirage comics/80s cartoon.
> perfectly cast Casey Jones.
> god-tier Shredder.
> amazing fight scenes.
> focus on best Turtle.
> amazing soundtrack.

What do I win?

Do you fuckers realize the dredd comics were chessy as fuck, don't you? The stallone movie would have been a better adaptation if it wasn't for DREDD himself.
>Old movie, perfect adaptation, awful Dredd
>New movie, awful adaptation, perfect Dredd.

I like it, because it's "Dredd's average day at work" instead of "Dredd takes on a threat capable of destroying megacity."

That Shredder fight is still fucking epic to this day. Guy is in his fifties mind you and he still shits all over the turtles when they fight him.

This is how I felt about too. The Stallone movie captured the cheesiness of Dredd while the 2012 movie captures the grittiness of it

>dark and gritty which is in line with the source material
Dredd has always been kinda silly though.

Do literal translations count?

Not if the source material is shit

I liked the Stallone uniform better

Thought it did a good job of portraying Batman as loony as the villains he fights.

Why are Marvelfags so angry all the time?

Burton Batman actually influenced Batman meta to a degree so as an adaption it exceeds the comic in some regards

I don't think anyone agrees with me but the turtles look so fake and creepy in this movie

Ghost World.

I agree, Dredd has always had absurdist, tongue in cheek humor to balance the abject brutality of the world. Capturing this sense of futuristic insanity was one of the few things that the Stallone Judge Dredd films did right. The problems arose when the Stallone film went too hard on the ham and comedy and as a result Dredd (2012) seemed to overcompensate by going in the opposite direction.

That's what you get when you have don't the power of CGI

It's weird as fuck having Lee say 'they're already dead, they just don't realize it'.