JSA Storytime: Mr. X

Good evening owls,

Dark Horse Presents time

Other urls found in this thread:

edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?source=catalog&catalogID=4202187&savecook=1,1&startIndex=0&rows=10&sord=1&savecook=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's the one comic you've re-read the most?

Neat

>What's the one comic you've re-read the most?
Groo the Wanderer or New Gods #7.

Too close to call.

Short series, New Frontier

Longer series, DeMatteis Spectre

The Big Book of Hell

Hello, Storyteller.

Oh shit, color! And just when I was getting used to the black and white.

we Dean Motter now

If we're talking capes it's Suicide Squad. What's the one comic YOU'VE re-read the most, user?

I am ready to curl up in my poƤng with tea and a book, owls

?What's the one comic YOU'VE re-read the most, user?
Swamp Thing's my go-to. I'm going to be away from my collection for at least a year (woo grad school), so thoughts of what I'd like to read and reread while I'm gone have been in my head of late.

and now, another story, Mister X in 'The Vanishing Breed'

(doing the DHP shorts and then we'll do the modern minis)

I went to my second-ever opera!

Congrats on gaining admission to hell user. I recommend you check out:

>cheese and sushi
... Pardon? Mercedes, that's disgusting. The fuck.

sweet, which one

every single thing on that page is true, btw

I think some other minis come before this but who cares, it's not like Mr. X comics are about the plot

TBF avoiding life through grad school is probably better than just... avoiding life. haha not that I would know about that sob

this is very Brazil

Interesting question. I guess it might be Superman: Up, Up, and Away but I'm not a big re-reader. Like just maybe twice for most things.

I re-read stuff a ton when I was younger. I probably read Dune like 50 times throughout my teens and my lifetime most-read comic book is probably some Calvin & Hobbes thing from my pre-teens.

Nowadays even one read can be rough desu.

>sweet, which one
The version of The Phantom of the Opera that's currently touring across Canada; I'd previously only seen H.M.S. Pinafore. Tickets for that night were only C$30/US$20, while the rest of their run here they were at C$130/US$100.

>every single thing on that page is true, btw
I know, I'm heading to grad school even though/because both my parents were going through it when I was a kid, and I saw the hell that it was.

Poor Katsuda has had entirely enough of X's shit. Like, she's not even angry anymore, shit's just tedious now.

I can't get through 2666, not because I think it's tough or tiresome...but I always feel completely satisfied after the Part about the Critics.

Like shit, it's too good that it works against me.

It does have its virtues and there are aspects I miss immensely

that's not an opera but I applaud an interest in the performing arts

I only really did it with Harry Potter and even then it was always around the release of the next one just to refresh my memory.

I killed movies though, literally can't watch Finding Nemo to this day because I made myself sick of it.

Hah, this is very explicitly Brazil, here

I can be like that with some authors too. Prose you need to step away from.

ooh, the club of sons

Decided to stretch my collecting legs and got a copy of THE PACT online for really cheap.

People are putting copies on eBay because they think that Justice League movie hype will draw more attention...but no one really gives a shit about the Fourth World, let alone Steppenwolf.

I must have reread the Part about the Critics 5 times at this point.
I love it, honestly.

Probably Pax Americana, but that was mostly all within a week of it coming out

Or Serenity twice a year

how are you owls

I am tired

I have way less tolerance for movies. I need a couple months before I can even consider a rewatch.

Watchmen, Flex Mentallo and All Star Superman. I'm a plebbit, I know.

I just discovered Warband and I'm in love.

Pretty good. Finished up the Gravity Rush games the other day.

I would just like to say that Kat is a precious cinnamon roll who's smile must be protected at all costs.

Oh, and the game is pretty good too, I guess.

Watchmen is probably a lot of people's most-read comic, true.

You know, someone on Bioshock was totally a big Mr. X fanboy.

I've read it like 4 or five times? I'm not big on rereading anything. Watchmen because I just like to marvel at the technical brilliance of Moore's writing. Flex and All Star because they hold special emotional value for me.

If you look for it, I think you can see the traces of this comic throughout niche pop culture as a cult classic

I fucking hate what Watchmen did to comic books, and superheroes in particular. Now capes take themselves way to seriously despite being predicated on an inherently ridiculous and stupid idea. I honestly can't remember the last time a lighthearted book came out that wasn't a broad meta comedy piece. I miss the Gold and Siler Ages, back when comics weren't up their own asses.

I hate people like you, the "superheroes are inherently retarded" crowd. If you hate the genre so much please do fuck off back to whatever septic tank you crawled out of.

hey famalam let's play nice tonight

idk if anybody went over this but DC's full spring catalog was released earlier this week

>Black Lightning vol 2

>deluxe edition of Judas Contract
lol

>Adam Strange: The Man of Two Worlds Deluxe Edition

>Aquaman by Peter David Book One
starting to release Aquashit cause of his movie

>Challengers of the Unknown by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
Was this good?

>Jack Kirby 100

>Batman by Neal Adams Book One
Is this recolored

>Kamandi by Jack Kirby Omnibus

>Batman Noir: The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Goddamned Batman WHEN

>Harley Quinn & the Gotham City Sirens Omnibus
That's the movie title, isn't it.

>JSA: The Golden Age (New Edition)
>Justice Society of America: The Complete Series by Len Strazewski and Mike Parobeck
Yeah there's a new book coming out if there was any doubt, lol

>Titans: Total Chaos
Y'all. This is the shitty arc with Lord Chaos. If Titans Hunt wasn't the arc that killed the team for you, it was this one.

edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?source=catalog&catalogID=4202187&savecook=1,1&startIndex=0&rows=10&sord=1&savecook=1

Wildcats with Jim Lee was listed, but like all other books that come out by Lee, the status was cancelled.

Youngblood is relatively lighthearted for a teen book.

I hope Katsuda gets to retire out to a nice place in Palm Springs or something, she really puts up with a lot of shit.

I'm not even excited about new JSA

This beer I'm drinking isn't very exciting either, shit

>Was this good?
It is, in my honest and humble opinion, the only good thing Jeph Loeb ever wrote.

That's fine and I would even agree but I still admire pretty much every Moore book structurally even if I'm not that into it or the subject matter. And Dave really delivers in Watchmen too.

>I'm not even excited about new JSA
How come? Are we sure Hitch is gonna be on it?

Hitch is still a name.

If he wants it, he'll get it.

Superheroes ARE inherently retarded. People in brightly colored spandex running around beating up criminals is utterly absurd. To deny this fact is just delusional.

I still read them, partly because you can still get plenty of good stories and characters out of ridiculous ideas, and partly because the industry doesn't give me any real options otherwise.

So how about you calm the hell down instead of barking like a rabid dog at the first sign of a differing opinion, yeah?

Lots of tease little idea of what it'll be and a sneaking suspicion of a meh creative, but also just in a general ennui mode about what's coming out

Except shit, I still can't believe MAGE is back, you know, that's Good. And I'll probably go buy Mr. Miracle in print, don't spoil me

>It is, in my honest and humble opinion, the only good thing Jeph Loeb ever wrote.

I'll storytime it tomorrow then.

I don't think Hitch is going to be on it but there are not a lot of writers at DC currently that I think can do a good JSA book

also I am not convinced DC has learned from their mistakes re: Earth 2

The shift to more serious material happened like a decade before Watchmen in the bronze age. Watchmen had an effect but it's not that simple.

WHO

WHO EVEN LIKES HIM

IT AIN'T THE 00s AND THE ULTIMATES

I am seriously hoping Mister Miracle ain't boring or overwrought.

Those pages were better without the dialogue.

I feel so validated because I honestly didn't like King's repetition that he sometimes did with the dialogue and now more people are starting to not like it either lol.

I think Metal shows there's still a solid strain of ineffective 90s edge at DC, yeah. And that's the same kind of wankstain that splattered all over Earth 2.

I think this about a lot of comics.

I've hated it in his Batman run and I'm not liking the look of Mister Miracle outside of what might be the basics of the plot.

thanks for reading, let's pick up some more Mr. X on Monday

Thanks

>I'm not even excited about new JSA
What, you're not excited for JSA Ultimates Edition?

Also, Storyteller, I hate to tell you, but regardless of how the new book turns out, you're gonna have to run it eventually.

>>Aquaman by Peter David Book One
>starting to release Aquashit cause of his movie
Fucking finally. He only had three non-New 52 trades collected for the longest time.

Thank you OP. Hope you have interesting times and interesting beer in your near future.

Atlantis Chronicles got a nice new edition too right?

Hell yeah.

I still haven't had a chance to pick it up, and it kills me.

>
Well yeah, we're going to be reading it carefully, but IDK, enough time has passed that I am not hype, I am mostly wary

BTW I'm starting to think about Sup Forumsristmas, which is actually happening for us this year

>Flashpoint Unwrapped
M O V I E
O
V
I
E

Aquaman: The Legend of Aquaman is also on there

Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

The book seems to be actively going back to its roots. Leaving behind... whatever was going on, and returning to a focus on the old supporting cast. All the better, I say. Seriously, that cyberpunk shit was unfollowable gibberish.

I'm saving up to get at least one or two anons the Fourth World Omnibus.

Last year I actually pulled up the previous year's list and sent something to anyone who'd also posted their code that year in the general threads.

However THIS year I'm gonna be broke so lol and fuck all y'all.

Gen13, don't be so butthurt

Were you the one who got me the Metabarons?

I know it wasn't someone in the general threads cause they were diligent.

...I do
plz no bully

I honestly can't remember, and I can't check because I do all the Sup Forums gifts via gift cards on fake accounts. But possibly!

Tell me how you would Ultimates the shit out of the JSA and I won't bully.

If you're broke then you don't owe anyone anything

I've got books I realize I'm not re-reading etc. (and I have no room left) so I'm going to try to hook anons who are interested in them with things, assuming you will trust me with addresses to send things straight to

I don't recognize this. There's Mister X stuff I haven't seen. (joy!)

On the docket:

Frozen Assets
Eviction
Hard Candy
Razed

and Electropolis

more widescreen panels

>JSA: The Golden Age (New Edition)

Didn't they just make a deluxe or was it cancelled?

Yeah, they did.
I've seen it on shelves.

Missed the goddamn thread because I was watching out for stylish Mr. X covers.

Makes me sound like some kind of pleb, but Watchmen. I've written so much about Watchmen it's embarrassing.

Impeccable taste.

I grew up on 1) Calvin and Hobbes 2) old Doonesbury paperbacks (What Do We Have For The Witnesses, Johnny?) 3) Matt Groening 4) Bloom County

Was the first story after Motter brought Mister X back?

A little weird then. Wonder if they saw the price point wasn't moving that great and decided to do a normie one.

Shit I'll think about buying but it'll sit in my Amazon cart for like 2+ years:
>Batman and the Outsiders Vol. 2
>Robin: Year One Deluxe Edition
>Young Justice Book Two
>The Flash by Mark Waid Book Four
>Hawkman by Geoff Johns Book Two
>Legionnaires Book Two

At least I can remove 2 trades from my cart right now though
>The Sheriff of Babylon: The Deluxe Edition

Thanks again OP

I love how much stuff DC is reprinting but it just makes me want to get a second job to afford it all. By the time I get to buying most of this stuff it'll only be available used and I won't be giving DC my dollars or supporting the printing of future volumes.

I am a shameless consumer whore when it comes to reprints.

>Superheroes ARE inherently retarded. People in brightly colored spandex running around beating up criminals is utterly absurd. To deny this fact is just delusional.
Same can be said for a lot of high concept sci-fi literature senpai. Does that mean that the philosophical and literary value among other things of the the books who are conceptually absurd should be disregard and cease to exist? Fuck no.
>and partly because the industry doesn't give me any real options otherwise.
That's just bullshit, I hope you know that. But you seem like a person who lacks self awareness so I'm going to assume no.

And there's the pressure to get some things asap too because you don't want them to cancel it. Shit is rough even with freebie gift cards from Bing Rewards and such.