Was she ever justified in being a complete cunt or did she just blow everything out of proportion?

Was she ever justified in being a complete cunt or did she just blow everything out of proportion?

Some episodes, yes. Other episodes, no. Like when she realizes her attitude almost split her parents apart, and she sits in a box in guilt.

/thread

Edgy white rich suburban teenage girl with "angst" nah not really justified.

Why do most people seem to think Daria was a cunt? She's usually right about the people around her being ignorant, hypocritical, or immoral, and she normally tries to stick to her principles. She's cynical and rude, but teenagers usually are.

Being right doesn't preclude her from being a snarky cunt nor does it mean she wasn't hypocritical at times herself and blissfully unaware

Oh look, its a show about girl doing absolutely nothing for an entire episode.

I don't know why being sarcastic is so offensive to people desu

Cry moar about ur "feelings"

Don't get mad when people call your waifu a cunt then if you are so worried about "hurt feelings" m80

Jane, Daria didn't mean to kiss your boyfriend. Let it go.

Maybe you should try being a lesbian again with that art chick from summer camp.

I thought Jane grew up to be a normal married person

>Jane dealing with the fact that the art chick instantly assumed she was gay
>Quinn falling for her tutor, only to get stood up because he didn't like her personality
>Daria trying to connect with a younger kid, only for him to view her the way she views her teachers
Is it Fall Yet? was a cool movie, forcing the main characters to look at themselves in the mirror.

If you believe the grand finale epilogue, Jane and Daria became talk show hosts.

They might've ended up being lesbians with each other

I was sad because it ended. Could've had one last Daria in college TV movie at least.

Keep in mind, a lot of people saw themselves as superior to Daria, because Daria wasn't hot or popular. Kevin and Brittany were dumb as rocks, but still saw Daria as below them. Hell, Quinn was embarrassed to admit they were related.

Daria was totally justified in how he treated people, which often wasn't that bad. She was snarky and sarcastic, but I don't recall her being outright mean to anyone.

>Daria was totally justified in how he treated people

I knew she was a man.

My faulty S key has been my undoing yet again.

A bit of column A, a bit of column B.

She was an introvert with low patience for stupidity, and she was consistenly surrounded by stupidity. Several years worth of having to spend time around Beavis and Butthead would jade anyone.

The show did a pretty decent job of balancing her touchy misanthropy with a supporting cast that sometimes deserved it and sometimes got more than they deserved. She was frequently shown to be in the wrong and needing to learn some humility or at least interpersonal skills.

Sometimes snark is the only weapon we have.

She's not ugly though, she's just not popular. She looks as good as her mom or sister really, just not "trendy" so easily pointed out of the crowd.

>She looks as good as her mom or sister really, just not "trendy" so easily pointed out of the crowd.

This, remember the episode where she dressed like Quinn to sabotage Quinn.
Daria COULD be hot, but chooses not to be because she's antisocial as hell.

>its a show about girl

*it's a show about girl

There were also one or two mentions of her life at her previous school where she was the victim of bullying, so that would have had an impact on her attitude, too.

>Daria wasn't hot

Those people who were talent-scouting for a model agency expressed interest in Daria and we see plenty of guys hit on her in the show. It's her personality and fashion sense that put people off, not her looks.

How do SJWs see Daria? On the one hand, grrl power. On the other, not liberal enough, plus she's white (gross)

They're not old enough to know who she is.

>or did she just blow everything out of proportion?
I don't see how you could say she really overreacted about anything. Her thing was pretty much exclusively underreacting to everything at all times.

she didn't blow anything out of proportion. a good number of the people around her really were THAT stupid or assholish. that said she just snarked at everyone. nothing outright mean.

Some episodes had her in the right and some had her in the wrong. the show balanced it well enough

Varied from episode to episode, which was nice, she wasn't always in the right for being a contrarian, but many of the situations she was put in had her completely justified in bitching about them because they really were that stupid and banal.

Well, said bullying was from Beavis and Butthead, so it can't have been more than chronic annoyance.

See that's the thing, even though Kevin and Brittany were stupid (though i believe there were a couple of instances where Brittany was shown to be smarter than we thought) and popular, they were never mean to Daria. Maybe ignorant and unintentionally rude, but always went out of their way to say hi, and even acknowledge her intelligence and reliability numerous times.

Quinn was a bit harder to justify, but i think when shes actually confronted with it she admits Daria is her sister. In all fairness, Daria is VERY off-putting to people in her age group because of her condescending and insulting demeanor, not her looks (people acknowledge numerous times that she'd be pretty if she actually tried, was the focus of an episode or 2), plus its not like she even cares about Quinn's friends anyway.

I remember she had a similar conflict that she knew she wasn't hideous; but if she got contacts like her mother told her to, she'd be afraid of the vanity getting the best of her. I think she did look better without glasses and knew it.

That episode was also one of my favorite Brittany moments, when she actually made Daria feel better about the whole thing in the end.

How to tell someone didn't watch Daria: the post

In her defense, she was actually surrounded by idiots.

Daria caters to teenagers who think they and their friends are consistently the smartest people in the room and everybody else is a bumbling, drooling, incompetent retard.

It's fine for its target demo but that mentality is so obnoxious and jejune I can't see an adult drawing much satisfaction from this show.

It's the cartoon equivalent of /r9k/ for pissy 90's high schoolers.

>Implying that Daria and her fanbase aren't a bunch of vindictive bitches who are never justified in their actions and should just move on to munching carpet like they always say they will but never have the courage to come out the closet.

Or Tumblr, Tumblr works well for that comparison too.

>jejune

It's just the mentality of people who don't realize you can make an exaggerated one dimensional caricature out of anyone.

This show could be called Quinn and have Daria be constantly whining and complaining about petty pedantic issues and then throwing hissy fits over the fact that nobody wants to be around her.

Basically this. /t.

Little from column A, little from column B. The show outright said a lot of her edgy nihilist act is just that.

I would imagine they pick and choose, embracing the first and ignoring any of her negatives. That or they like Jane more.

Go outside. Please.

>>Guys why was Daria so sarcastic and snarky?

Are millennials just finding out about this show? That's literally the whole point.

She did. Her husband is an archaeologist or something that requires a bunch of travel.

It was the 90's OP. I doubt you were alive.

that's part of her charm

What I liked about this show was that Daria wasn't always in the right and other characters (friends, family etc) would call her out on her shit.

I liked that the popular kids weren't the villains.

>I can't see an adult drawing much satisfaction from this show.

If anything, the jokes are better to me now that I am older.

Brittany is probably the nicest person on the show, for that matter. Kevin could sometimes be jerky but it was almost always explainable by him just being incredibly stupid.

I think the best part about this show was that appart sandy, noone was actually evil or right all the time, most of them were trying to deffend themselves, even Daria. Most characters developed enough to see they were wrong at some point.
But I think that the main point is that if this show were made by everyone but MTV, the main character would be probably Quinn struggling in being popular with Sandy as enemy (and her annoying anti-social sister) or Jodie, trying to survive in an almost all white school (and her anti-social friend).

>See that's the thing, even though Kevin and Brittany were stupid and popular, they were never mean to Daria.
Daria wasn't mean to them either, just disilluded. She behaves way worse in the prototype pilot.

No, in one episode she straight out mentioned getting the crap kicked out of her by a guy with nunchucks, if I remember correctly.

>people who obviously never watched this show

Jane is the redpilled one though.

Did you ever watch the show? Not only was she one of the few characters not to be a cunt, she, if anything, blew things UNDER proportion. Everything was blah to her because disaffected 90s teen, while it was HUGE BIG DEALS to stressed-out other people who were wrong.
Now you can dislike the show always making her right if you want, but you can't deny she was right.

>her attitude almost split her parents apart
You cannot possibly hold her responsible for that. They didn't.

I feel like I would remember that
I'm sorry you weren't one of those, but don't take it out on us the way you did while we were in school.

Looking up the quote in question, I don't think it was something that actually happened to Daria but just an extended metaphor for how that lab mouse got tormented by Brittany's brothers.

Also that episode is another pretty good argument against Daria being considered ugly since Brittany really legitimately worried that Daria could steal Kevin from her.

The people around her were pretty comically over-the-top shallow and awful. She was usually justified.

She was to "edgy" for a show that made fun of the very kind of trash the network that aired the kind of garbage she fought against.

She was an actual feminist, so yes I guess other women would think she blew things out of proportion.

So I take it from this thread I should continue watching the show ja?

The way she said it, even though she acted like she was speaking hypothetically, always gave me the impression that she was actually bringing up an event from her own past. That's IMO, of course, but it would explain some things