They're not even trying anymore

they're not even trying anymore

Other urls found in this thread:

penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/08/01/further-intrusions-of-actual-life
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kid forgot his straightjacket

This needs more pickles.

I don't get it. Everything has gone mad. Nothing makes sense.

>penny-arcade not being funny
Seems perfectly normal to me.

I don't get it.

>DUDE I'M A DAD DID I REMIND YOU I HAVE CHILDREN LOL MY KID DID SOMETHING WACKY TODAY OH BOY

the dudes like 50 years old now cut him some slack

Oh boy

Which one has/had the kid that was sick? Did he turn out okay?

lol no.

The only thing penny arcade is good at is running those D&D sessions now

Sometimes jerry will still sometimes be cringy

that's rough

Rundown pls, bog style

delete this

I...this is....is there a punchline I'm not getting? The layout looks like it should be some sort of emotional, family schmultz but then they're talking about G.I. Joe and Star Wars. The punchline isn't even a punchline, its more a statement.

Once upon a time, there was a webcomic called Penny Arcade, it was kind of funny. Then they had children and literally every comic became
>HAHA holy shit, guy. But my kids!!
And no one liked it anymore and it sucked. But they still made crazy money, because that shit was like a train. Once they got some force behind that shit right at the start, their company seriously picked up speed and just kept going forever. The End.

The bald ones kid has schizophrenia.

You pick up enough speed and you gotta go off the rails at some point, I guess.

oh i thought it was cancer

The joke is that baldy never outgrew being 14 and encourages everybody to be an edgelord who thinks Joker and Decepticons and Darth Vader are teh kewlest.

1: Same animation techniques/styles permeates throughout almost every cartoon network show. SU is still nice looking even with the animation errors. This is the worst example as in how true it is.
2: Same edgy/randemXD humour, and breaking the 4th wall isn't unique at all and it doesn't make your show 'smart'.
3: Same characters. This one isn't as true, its just weird. teenager/child is socially inept in some way or have strange understanding of reality, we have slice of life episodes that cut out the plot with other 'quirky' characters. some people usually hate the main character or don't understand why they're there.
4: Emotion is never subtle. Characters cry/sing constantly and we should always take them seriously/big emotion scenes that resolve things and are forgotten.
5: Tone changes all the time. Sometimes it all happens within one episode. I can say this for about every cartoon.
6: Crossovers happen for fan-service and are never mentioned again.
7: Characters go from the mundane to the super-natural.
8: Right-wing is never represented. Gotta accept everybody.

TL;DR: cartoons are the same thing. why is this happening and do you have good examples that stray from the norm mostly?

I think the word balloons being placed over that pair of kids is meant to be some kind of a parallel. Like, oh look at discussing this kid shit despite being over 40, that's still funny right.

If I had to guess it's about him saying how cool edgy shit is as the kids are happily playing with cute stuff

they don't have to try, they have people literally paying their life for them

>telling a kid with schizophrenia to engage in a type of play that could bring on depersonalization
It's like he's trying to get that kid into electroshock before he hits his teens.

Given the kid is using the same posture I can figure the joke is the kid regurgitating what his dad said 1:1

Children can be schizos? That's news to me, I thought it manifested as adults.

penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/08/01/further-intrusions-of-actual-life

different son. nice edge.

turning on my autism for a moment

The kids in this comic are mike's son and jerry's daughter. their younger kids.

It's jerry's son-- not in this comic at all-- who was experiencing hallucinations. Iirc it was brought on by a reaction to the adhd meds he was on. I don't know if he was schizo after he was off the meds, but he has adhd and is on the autism spectrum somewhere regardless.

his dad died of cancer a few years ago. I think he wrote about his dad's cancer and his son's issues in the same post though.

I never realized I knew so much about jerry holkin's personal life. oh well.

also you guys are pointlessly being dicks about his son. he's not even in op comic.

Kids ruin peoples ability to be funny.

Outliers exist but for most part is is basically a fact of life.

>"US DADS, HUH?!"

I want this shit to end.

i dont get it, are those kids duke and cobra?

I don't get it. Did they forget the punchline?

the punchline is that cobra commander sounds cooler than duke

It sounds like the punchline is meant to be that "Cobra Commander" sounds like someone who can control snakes.

I mean... I guess that's it huh? I knew PA wasn't what it was... but damn. It's actually kind of sad to not read any of them for so long and then come back and see how far they've fallen.

>"Cobra Commander" sounds like someone who can control snakes.
That's the entire joke.

The entire joke...

VIDYA webcomics have gone the way of "angry video game reviews".

Chaos.

Why don't they just kill their comic? There's no way enough people read it that it bring in any money anymore.

yo but is the niece still hot

They own PAX, right?

I can't imagine they're hurting for cash.

You would be in for a surprise, my friend.

>retal4

Did you guys know [VIDEO GAME] is not like real life!?

Strip 1463/15000

>implying I didn't.

Penny arcade hasn't been funny since the whole dickwolves thing.

Yes, I love it.

Brief conversation overtop of unrelated visuals. Not saying it can't work, but at least one out of the conversation or the visuals should do some lifting.

PAX is certainly still popular enough to have tickets sell out within minutes every year, though dunno how much of a money-maker that is, given the expenses of running that major a gaming convention. PAX also has its own momentum by now, and doesn't need the webcomic's help to keep it going.

PAX is a giant spectacle at this point so I imagine they actually make more money from publishers and developers pay for floor-space/presentation time than they do from the tickets.

I don't read the comic-I think the joke is irony.
>kids only wanna be the agressive bad guy
>own kids actually doing something tame and benevolent
>is the parent and knows even less

I remember seeing their kickstarter to be ad free for a year and getting over 200k or so