Memes aside what actually went wrong?

Memes aside what actually went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bfsg_eor5TM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reddit

roiland and harmon's feminist over compensation for not having any female writers

They made it way too nihilistic and complicated. It was better when Rick and Morty were a likable duo and Morty had to deal with Rick getting drunk from time to time. Now everyone is unlikable and edgy. The show's infinite dimensions thing is also a cheap cop out to bringing back the characters and a failure of lore. They never properly explain it much either. Most of the background characters suck and barely do anything on Rick and Morty's adventures. Not to mention those terrible new writers have forgotten what made the show so good. The character interactions are out of whack and the places they go are boring, leading to a sad case of flanderization. The show is still pretty good but it probably won't be for long. Just wished every season could've been perfect like the first one.

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
I wish Summer was over already so these immaturefag Sup Forums faggots would leave.

Pickle Rick is in the house tonight

>Memes aside what actually went wrong?
the memes

Sup Forums hates popular shows

Same thing as the Simpsons, nothing about the dynamic or character changes.

Nothing "went wrong". It's the same show that it's always been.

>Just wished every season could've been perfect like the first one.
retard, S1 also had a bunch of bad episode you massive autist

Slowly collapsing under the weight of unnecessary continuity in what at first seemed to be the ultimate episodeic-format adventures show. They're drifting too far from formula, and it's not panning out quite as smoothly.

This to an extent.

I may be in the minority here, but I liked the last season. We saw Rick being more vulnerable, we saw Beth and Jerry work together a bit more, hell, the season 2 finale was some of the best TV ever.

Then they basically set a reset button on everything and I don't have any fucking clue where they're going now.

>immaturefag Sup Forums faggots
Is this the new "fuck off to Sup Forums drumpfter" bogeyman

It's trying too hard, it's literally the "Intelligent, Nihilistic and with a Wicked Sense of Humor" meme in cartoon form

>They're drifting too far from formula

>nothing about the dynamic or character changes
but that's why people hate S3E2, the characters completely changed

female writers

You're right. Following a set storyline (Finn getting gf) is exactly what killed Adventure Time and now the same thing is happening with R+M with Beth and Jerry's divorce shadowing over the whole of S3

I agree completely. The first two episodes of s3 have been ok but pretty boring, it's lacking what I liked about the show initially

I was just trying to have an actual polite discussion user, no need to insult me.

This, season 2 was fantastic in a different way. I'm just saying the seeds were planted in season 2. Season 3 feels so directionless and weird right now. None of the characters are acting right and everything is so edgy.

>episodic comedy show
>slightly alter characters motivations and personalities (could be seen as development)
>develop "deep lore"
>reset everything
>now there's a heavy focus on a divorce subplot nobody asked for

The writers don't know what they want and it's getting tiresome.

More like pickle writers!
XD

my biggest problems with it are that Rick turned from a callous-but-well-meaning grandfather into a constant drunken asshole, Morty's become weaker and less assertive, and the episodes seem to constantly shit on Jerry for no discernable reason other than that the audience is supposed to hate him for some reason

Nothing went wrong.

Except for people from Sup Forums trying to convince you something went wrong because they don't like the fact there are female writers

Every "complaint" here has been present from season 1, unless you're talking about the first episode.

You're blowing shit out your ass, you just dislike that the show's gotten popular.

It's fine to dislike the show but don't act like it's become shit because you're not a super-special snowflake for being the only one to like it.

>season 2 was fantastic in a different way.
you are a fucking idiot

If you werent such a virgin, you would know for a fact that Women are shit content creators

>lol you just don't like it because it's popular! XD

perhaps you are the memesters

and you're upset about it.
The females didnt take the helm till S3. so you're saying 1 and 2 were flawless?

They were fucking watcheable at the very least, I'm expecting this season to take a nosedive in quality

I liked it better when the should would have a science fiction themed concept or idea and based the episode and humor around that idea I think their problem was getting too lore heavy

>It's been the same from the beginning

Yeah, no. The characters had heart in the
beginning, they don't now.

I actually like that it's popular so I can discuss it though.

Settle down there.

I have the strong feeling they wanted the show to be Family Guy 2.0 but it just happened to have a few good episodes and faggots tend to forget the bad episodes of S1.

If you weren't such a retard, you would understand there are plenty of talented female content creators and artists and that artistic talent is not gender exclusive

well then its a good thing you're not forced to watch it

Seriously, why are we cutting out the biggest issue?

its like claiming the worst part of a show is its fanbase. the show cant be help responsible for who does and doesnt follow it

Except the whole show is basically meme-bait.

The episode hasn't aired and "PICKLE RICK" has become a fucking thing. "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT" continues to be a thing. They intentionally pick some stupid fucking line and repeat it ad nauseum in choice episodes to create this bullshit and people eat it up.

If the memes are in the show itself and not created from the show, that's an issue.

Just like if a horrible fanbase starts affecting the show quality (like what happened with Homestuck) it becomes a problem with the series itself.

The whole gimmick of the show was that it was to be carried by the fanbase rather than the plot or anything of genuine quality, first season was meant to fools peoples into believing it would be a worthwhile investment of their attention and it worked. Basically he wanted to make a Seinfield cartoon that could survive for years with extremely low effort from its producers. Alas Roiland jumped shark far too early and went full retard with season 2, barely giving a damn about the shit he put out because he was sure that his retarded fanbase would swallow it all up because muh random. It backfired and the whole show went back into darkness as about as quickly as it came out of it.

Like honestly the drop of quality from season 1 to 2 is massive, to the point that downright retarded shit like the swhifty episode were actually produced.

Basically he gave steroid to a calf hoping to get a milk producing cow faster and instead got a sterile beefed up cow that produce awfully tasting milk that has trace of blood in it but he still trying to sell it as something fancy as to make some money back from his original investment.

You're new, so I'll forgive you. Sup Forums defines the "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE" attitude. It's all they ever talk about.

Fpbp

Holy shit, when did /x/ get here?

Nothing. It was always mediocre. Fans are just starting to take notice with every new season.

How the fuck is that even /x/? Its literally just producers being lazy fucks and cutting corners, nothing revolutionary or paranormal about it all.

Oh wait, please don't tell me you're the kind of people that believe ''conspiracies'' (aka any kind of corruption that require continuous collusion as to work properly... aka corruption as it is) are a thing of fiction, right? ...right?

PLEASE tell me you're not that naive.

Women writers desu senpai

you're the one cooking up grand scenes with NO evidence whatsoever which just happen to leave you at the center as the poor poor poor victim of society. You're not even using conjecture, just opinions.

>mediocre
just out of curiosity, if you consider R&M mediocre, what do you think is a good animated show?

>memes aside
>"what went wrong" memepost
makes you think

This is bound to happen to most comedy shows these days anyway; starting off with one-off episodes before expanding into continuity, i.e. Adventure Time and Bojack

Bojack Horseman succeeds in depth where Rick and Morty fails

Didn't watch Season 3, dropped it near the end of season 1 when I knew the show was going to stagnate completely.

Was it character change through organic character development or was it a complete 180 change?

Why do people think the s2 finale was so good? It jad one really good gag (finding something wrong in each planet) and the story was pretty standard.

Completely agreed.

>complete 180 change

>Series comes out
>Generally well liked
>Occasional complaints thrown into the threads
>Creator admits he comes here to shitpost and insult his show
>People come here to hate on the show for those valuable ">t. roiland" (You)s
>More people come in and see people hating on the show and now make throwaway threads with the intent of annoying those people because the new way to shitpost on Sup Forums is to make a thread about something repeatedly
>Show now has a developed hatebase on Sup Forums

Rick worked when he was a grumpy abusive cynical anti-hero who honestly did more harm than good on a regular basis.

They didn't need to make him act several generations younger than he actually is.

They didn't need to give him "wacky" catchphrases.

And they didn't need to have him break the fourth wall with zero subtlety.

He was fine when he felt like the perfect parody of both the eccentric scientist and take-you-on-adventures grandfather cliche by showing what it would be like if those people were actually complete assholes. Then they added a bunch of shit that started to make it feel more like they were playing those cliches straight.

Rick turned into a mary sue.

It's been shit since the beginning, nothing went wrong

i think the show is still fine but does anyone else hope that they stop using the shitty lazy alien names like "shpleckleborf blorgulon pirplenarp"? that shit wasn't ever funny

Bojack actually got better with the later episodes though.

It got better, but the only likeable character is Bojack. And the animation is like south park only unintentionally bad and not in a stylized way.

>what actually went wrong?

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTHHHHIIIIIINNNNGGGG

IT WASN'T GOOD FROM THE SSSSSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT

Nothing. It's just butthurt whites annoyed that their evil is coming to and end and they'll be bred into the rainbow.

I liked when Rick was just Doc
youtube.com/watch?v=Bfsg_eor5TM

I don't think anything really went wrong, they're popular and I just don't find the show that good. They don't have to be mutually exclusive concepts though the most recent episode wasn't funny to me it ended alright but the visuals were pretty banal even for R&M. I also miss when Jerry was a schlubby guy who character was built upon the little stupid things we do, which was a great reason to hate him, making him into the bitch boy got old in season two and it's nice to see them doubling down on a bad idea.

But hey who am I but some dumb fat depressed guy talking over the Internet. It's not like I'm the dumb fat depressed guy who created this thing talking on the internet

Shills need to leave.

>Yeah, no. The characters had heart in the
>beginning, they don't now.
Literally the first episode has Rick showing no regard for Morty whatsoever, and Morty being a complete doormat. If anything they've developed more heart along the way.

Basically. Too many "normies" like it so they don't feel special if they admit it was fun.

what is it about this show that attracts the most normal of faggots?

I just finished Season 2 and found it to be better than the first one in every way.

art style maybe

so what went wrong was episodes 1 and 2

Harmons constant annoying bickery and sjw cuckery.

It's likely why Roiland is doing his own show without dan for fox called solar opposites:

the pilot was too pure for the rest of the show

rick and morty wanted to be this generation's futurama but it actually ended up being the an extra edgy family guy

This is a new and original bait
I like it .
Please make more

Harmon preferring to do movie parody episodes to anything else because they are easy

It took three seasons to introduce pickle rick

>dude,le god doesnt exists hehehe *burp*

More like drifting too far into a formula. Too much reddit-tier, feelgood, character "development" plot. Comedy-killing trend. Southpark died the same way. Worse part is normies eat this shit up, so it'll only get worse.

This

Pickle Rick is the key to all of this.

>Too much reddit-tier, feelgood, character "development" plot.
That wasn't the original formula though.

Nothing

Sup Forums is what went wrong with Sup Forums though

>dan harmon didn't hire me to write for his show! oppression! triggered! muh discrimination i will sue!

>Jerry is the punchline to everything he's apart of
>Beth is a non-character who's only reason for existing is to suck Ricks dick
>Creators decide to make a HUGE subplot about this.
>Beth and Jerry gets no real character development compared to other episodes
>Morty and Summer get over this in the span of one episode which makes it feel forced
>Rick is obvious in his plans but no one is catching on to it.
It feels like no one is actually developing, just changing into a equally shitty person.

Roiland may have gone too far in a few places.

It pays lip service to heavy continuity and character development without following through on it in any meaningful or well-developed way.

You know I see this a lot, that's not really an argument. The atheism is just part of Rick's personality, and he's only one part of the show's two protagonists, but literally everybody forgets about Morty. Didn't you see season one's finale?, because in there this aspect of his personality is somewhat expanded.

What went wrong is Harmon is utterly self-loathing and Roiland is super easy going, and that dynamic already made it really hard to write the show.

Then it blows the fuck up in popularity, to the point Spencer Gifts is selling shot glasses with Rick's face on them, so there's more pressure than ever to produce a great show and keep the momentum going.

The female writer thing, it's part of it, although not THE reason. Harmon of course acted ashamed and tried to rectify it immediately, overcompensating in the process, and to this day Roiland is surprised it was ever an actual issue (which it wasn't until a bunch whiners made it one.) Either way, it helps complicate matters.

It was possibly always going to turn out like this, because you have these high concept episodes that you dumb down into silliness, and now you're expected to keep doing that, when they very well could have run out of ideas. That leaves you with the typical options to create an ongoing plot, which goes against the idea of a world where anything can happen and you can simply jump dimensions (Roiland himself admits he doesn't have all the answers in terms of what and who we're looking at.) It's not that the divorce is a bad story necessarily, but the characters now have to react and revolve around it and that can make the process even worse.

My issue was I figured we'd get more development out of the other characters trying to bust Rick out of jail, but instead we got an "I let myself get captured because it was all a clever ruse" ass pull.

I still like Rick and Morty but as much as before. Season 1 was more subdued with the humor. Notice how towards season 2/3 a lot of the humor in Rick and Morty consists of yelling and cursing. The show is also more mean spirited now while before there was a perfect balance. Thats just my opinion though.

The show was driven by Morty before. It's driven by Rick now.

The he man woman haters club is that way

Yeah, I liked the depressive side of Rick's character emphasizing how he's basically given up on everything in his acceptance of the chaos of the universe.

Not really a fan of the action-hero thing they're going for with him at the start of season 3 though. It felt like his choice to turn himself in to the authorities was supposed to be a major turning point of him caring about someone other than himself, but it was just a set-up for him to effortlessly take down the government and get the council of Ricks killed for little to no reason.

*but not as much as before
This, I feel like focus also shifted more to the family rather than Rick and Morty. The characters have also changed slightly. In season one Jerry had more victories. I also noticed that Jerry and Rick weren't as at odds with each other. Morty and Summer are way more aggressive in season 2, same with Beth.

I still like the show but I can't help but wonder what it would've been like if instead of Rick going full asshole towards everyone it had kept the Rick we saw in the pilot. Not so antagonistic towards everybody and even when he's screwing over Morty he's also complimenting him for his good ideas (using the gravity shoes to escape) and seems to have genuine affection for him (Rick and Morty 900 years, etc). Basically I wish Rick was more of the Doc Brown crazy guy who for whatever reason enjoys having Morty around to do crazy shit with as opposed to current Rick who hates everyone and just puts up with Morty.

I don't want for me to be hired as a writer, I wanted for the writing team to be the same as it was before, who the fuck cares if it was small, it was alright, not bad, not good. Whoever wrote the first six episodes of season one should be brought back at least once, no matter who it was. The rest of season 1, and season 2 was kind of... varying in quality I guess.

Literally nothing.

S03E01 was savage television

S03E02 was good. Not the best, the solidly entertaining.

I get the impression if Rick and Morty started with reason 3 Sup Forums would be loving it, and if season 3 was replaced with season 1 Sup Forums would find ways to hate it for perceived changes.