Which animation studio is the worst? A few years ago I'd probably have said Blue Sky...

Which animation studio is the worst? A few years ago I'd probably have said Blue Sky, but they at least made the Peanuts Movie, so now I think it's one of these.

Anyone got one of these for Sony and/or Blue Sky?

Goosebumps is considered a SPA movie?

i really enjoyed Surfs Up... and that's it.

Sony. Illumination makes generic but tolerable movies and doesn't fuck over its directors' dream projects to make a shitty cash grab.

The first Cloudy is good because of based Phil Lord and Chris Miller's tongue-in-cheek writing, and the Aardman movies aren't awful
But otherwise.. yeah

Hm. That's a lot more hits as opposed to all straight misses than I was expecting. I totally forgot they did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

The Peanuts movie was fucking terrible so i don't know what you're getting at

Both are bad

I remember way back when I used to hate the fuck out of Dreamworks. It seems like a serious contender for potentially good films at this point.

I'll be sure to run all my opinions by you from now on to make sure they're correct, random guy.

Illumination makes some ugly fucking movies, but with passable writing sometimes. Sony however clearly has some really talented artists and animators and they squander them on garbage. Overall Sony is the clear worst.

>no crossover film titled Smurf's Up

We're still not giving you that trailer, Greg

I think that franchise is done with crossovers.

stop giving them ideas, Sony is dumb enough to do it

Antz is top tier kino.

yeah toghether they're pretty good. eparately, not so much.

th only good thing about sony animation is its "cartooness" , , HT had it too.

The Hotel Transylvanias are fine. Cloudy 1 is great. Cloudy 2 is eh. Surf's up is watchable. Everything else is bad

>didn't even got a theatrical release
Even Sony knows the WWE can't draw dimes.

Have you seen Arthur Christmas?

DW was made out of spite, and as someone mentioned it's a 50/50 studio, for every turd there's a gem.

I acquired heavy disdain for WDAS, DW does not steal other's formulas at least. I wish them the best under new management.

The thing I hate most about Illumination is their shitty movies always make a huge profit because of the miniscule budgets. Fucking Secret Life of Pets was the most profitable movie of 2016

movie didnt even leave the theatres for good and they already announced sequel

Bad Illumination Movies
>Hop
>The Lorax
>Minions
>The Secret Life of Pets
>Sing
>Despicable Me 3

Bad Sony Movies
>The Smurfs
>The Smurfs 2
>The Emoji Movie
Transylvania isn't amazing but it isn't bad either. The Cloudy movies are fucking great. Open Season and Surfs Up aren't amazing either but nothing too bad.

This one.

It has the Emoji movie, by definition it's the worst. It does not matter what the fuck Illumination made, nothing is that bad. They dropped the bar so low Illumination wins on the curve.

Nothing.

It's underrated.

I liked Aardman's pirate movie. Did anyone else see that one?

How bad was Secret Life of Pets? I've only seen mildly negative reactions to it even though it looks better than Illumination's mean work.

It's aggressively mediocre and safe. Even more than Sing.

Literally the only positive is based Jenny Slate.

she's a godsend.

Very few people, it wasn't a big hit, did even poorer than most Laika movies IIRC.
I saw the puppets on display at a state fair exhibit and that shit was rad. Also I recall Ashens talking about how much he loved it in a video if that counts for anything

Illumination is the better of the two. Both try to be streamlined Dreamworks, but Illumination is more successful at it, and without being excessively cheesy or as edgy as Dreamworks tries to be.

The product placements, executive meddling, and celebrity ass kissing are all more blatant and distracting in Sony's movies. It's clearly not a problem with the animation team itself. Storks was pretty okay, and I hope SPA gets more outsourced work.

Stork was WB

The animation in Storks was done by SPA, which is why it's relevant in that sentence.

> as edgy as Dreamworks tries to be.

Eh?

How are they making ti work when one company owns both Illumination and Dreamworks now?\

Are they merging at some point?

And is Warner going to use another animation company or are they done with feature animation?

Does Blue Sky have anything going for it aside from Ice Age?

Early on that was indeed Dreamwork's schtick, the first couple Shreks have mild swearing and more overt adult jokes (same goes for Antz and El Dorado) but it hasn't been their brand for a while

lego movies are still a thing.

Warner outsourced Storks to Sony

They had Pirates merch advertising kids' meals at Captain D's for years.

>Captain D's
There's apparently one of those in my city but I've literally never heard of it in my life until right now

They followed the same formula lots of others were trying at the same time

>Try to be as Not-Disney as possible while still making a movie that can compete with them.

So they had adult jokes with comedian writers and modern-ish music.

Even then in the 99-05 period Disney was trying to not be Disney too with things like Treasure Planet, Dinosaur, Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove,

and then Disney bought Pixar and everything went back to normal.

That was Katzenberg's entire shtick. He wanted everything to be more "urban", adult, ironic, subversive, even when those things didn't fit. He's the quintessential 90s movie exec.

But then h calmed down, and we got KFP and HTTYD.

Rio?