JAMES GUNN ON RONAN and CREATIVE COMMITTEE

bleedingcool.com/2017/08/06/james-gunn-ronan-guardians-galaxy/

>“There is some messy villain plot stuff in the first movie I’d like to deal with again. There was a committee working for Marvel at the time (now defunct) who had a lot of input, and that was primarily where it ended up. It just got a little messy.”

>The committee he’s referring to is the Marvel Creative Committee, which existed to help improve the stories they worked on. Members included comic book writer Brian Michael Bendis, Marvel Comics publisher Dan Buckley, current Chief Creative Officer of Marvel Enterprises Joe Quesada, and Alan Fine. This all sounds good in theory, but sources say the committee tended to cause more problems than they would fix.

Bendis on suicide watch!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMe1drnZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post the whole thing.

See, that could also partly be why Age of Ultron sucked and Edgar Wright walked away from Ant-Man.

A committee of creativeness that is made of people creative bankrout or aren't professional creators.

Shocking

Edgar was a bitch thought. He wanted to do it outside the MCU and he kept delaying it so long from before Iron Man all the way to being tacked onto the end of Phase 2.

Well besides that falcon fight it was outside the mcu, so all they had to do was cut that and he'd have stayed.

They actually didn't add the Falcon scene in until after he left. It was the SHIELD stuff with Howard Stark that pissed him off.

Ronan was shit no doubt, but if GOTG2 was Gunn's authentic attempt at writing a movie, I'd say it wasn't really the committee that was the problem.

Ronan was a good character but he didn't have a single real fight scene.

I don't get why people defend the stupid dance off.

You're kidding, a team of out-of-touch egomaniac executives ruined a movie? That never happens.

>Dude! Keep saying Taserface and laughing! Maybe then the joke will be funny!

James Gunn is a hack.

>The committee he’s referring to is the Marvel Creative Committee, which existed to help improve the stories they worked on.
>Members included comic book writer Brian Michael Bendis....Joe Quesada
>existed to help improve the stories they worked on.

Also they softned Lang and Pym from the assholes they were in Wright's draft.

t. taserface

Good.

The sequel was barely any different than the first.

His original vision for the film was to have Hank Pym as the main antagonist and for Scott to be running a crew of ten plus people.
As much as I like Edgar Wright, I can't say that I would've enjoyed the Ant-Man film he'd have made
Plus we'd have never got the "Time in a Bottle" scene without Peyton Reed

> MCU Pym is portrayed as a good man.

Meanwhile, in the comics Pym is shat on constantly.

>Joe Quesada
>Bendis

My god, it's like they were trying to make Guardians fail.

Rich doesn't ever post the whole thing

that's not how he drives his clicks

>Bendis sneaks onto Sup Forums to make himself feel better

It is darker and has much more character development. Less of a cheerful space adventure.

He was handled well in Avengers Academy, but there seems to be an editorial mandate to portray him as an unstable villain because the only thing anyone remembers about him is that he hit his wife forty years ago.

>James Gunn runs jokes into the ground to make himself feel better

> Bendis
> Improve

Was Bendis in charge of ensuring continuity was adhered to.

The characterization of Ego is spot on.

Very, very accurate portrayal of a narcissist.

Also, he allows Yondu's death to sink in, and does not ruin the tone with a joke.

Gunn overdoes two jokes (Taserface and Baby Groot getting Yondu's fin), but the character development is handled very well.

Ronan predemption arc in Captain Marvel?

>ronan being a one note villain in the mcu and not evolving into an antihero was the committee's fault
BENDIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More like Ronan fall into madness in Captain Marvel, it'd be pretty cool.

>Ass of Buttron

Nope, that's all Whedon.

Shut up Whedon.

Both Whedon and the executive meddling that told him to set-up a shitton of stuff for other movies.
Add to that the Committee "improving" on their ideas and you have a recipe for disaster. No wonder the dude didn't want to go another round with them.

They could show him as an idealistic good guy who helps Carol but gets fucked over by a Skrull in the Nova Corp.

This man has been known to blame others though.

Bendis and Quesada are shit people who should have been fired long ago? Who'd have thought?

> Whedon had to fight hard to get Wanda into the film.

> Bendis was on the creative committee.

Why doesn't Sup Forums have a norwegian archive link bot that takes money away from the clickbait internet mass media ZOG machine?

Yeah I know that's why I said
>Whedon AND the executive meddling
I'm sure not even Bendis would tell him to approve the clunky Black Widow sterilization scene. But I'm sure there was definitely some shit that wasn't entirely Whedon's fault.

>executives

You're overstating it. They were continuity nerds.

Most of them were professional creatives. Bendis was/is a prolific big-name writer; Quesada was an artist/writer before becoming an editor, then EiC, then Chief Creative Officer, a post he still holds (he was also one of the people whose non-comics work took Marvel Studios into the MCU era, as well as co-creator with Denny O'Neil of Batman's antagonist-replacement Azrael); Alan Fine came up from the toy industry (which is a different kind of creative, but not mutually exclusive to the works of a comic book publisher) and is former President of Marvel Entertainment; other figures on the committee per their credited involvement on phase 1 movies were: Dan Buckley (succeeded Fine as P:ME, Publisher of Marvel Comics from 2003, after a long stint working for them in the 90s); Sid Ganis (President of Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences 2005–2009, served on the board of Marvel 1999-2009); Craig Kyle (longtime comic book writer and movie/tv producer). Fine, Quesada, Buckley and Bendis are credited members on GotG. There may have been others in phase 2 but fucked if imma check.

Note that these are not writing or story credits, and that this means they had no meaningful writing input on any of these projects unless also so credited (they didn't).

The only unusual problems I can see arising from these guys take two main forms: firstly, those notes that are intended to produce more toyetic movies (Gunn had no problem with that, and has clearly worked on projects in the past that demonstrate his willingness to do so. Secondly, those notes that are intended to make the adaptation more closely resemble the source. While well-intentioned, there's a world of difference between what's possible in print and on screen (at any sane budget), and so most of the disagreement is likely to be there. Except...

There's a further possible problem, but it's explicitly to do with creatives: we all think we could write a movie, but few of us on reflection would find that we had any clue of how to do so, or in practice that our writing was worth the time and investment necessary. The only MCC member Gunn worked with who has shown any recent aspirations to writing was Bendis (Quesada most likely doesn't have any such aspirations, or Phase 1 would be a fucking disaster area with his co-credits all over it). Bendis also (excitedly) overstated his Guardians artist's involvement in planning the look of the Guardians movie - in fact none of the artists who worked with Bendis on the print title had any credited involvement in the movie, meaning any who did work on it were using the designs of others, or their own work was discarded entirely.

There's a distinct possibility that Bendis took the development work he'd seen for the movie and simply ripped it off for his print title, a year before the movie was released, spoiling a great deal of the look (and getting much about the movie team wrong, as it would have been changed almost daily until ready to shoot). Since there's nothing a director can do - marketing have to see this shit to prepare to synergize with it, as do corporate - Gunn would have been relatively powerless but seeing his work being put out every month as someone else's.

I'd sure as shit never work with someone who did that to me if I could help it; Gunn, thanks to the success of the movie, can help it. All praise Gunn.

you shouldn't put all the blame at bendis's feet
I'm sure he was put on the GotG book for the sole purpose of aping the movie to maximize synergy sales (if such a thing actually exists)

Everything Sup Forums discusses which isn't a self-published indie zine is part of those buzzwords. Bleeding Cool is literally a front for major publishers to leak information and inflate expectations. To deny it is to deny the companies it represents, and their product.

I'd fucking love to get behind-the-scenes stuff about Bendis being an utter twat about letting the Maximoffs into the movie.

>film stars Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder, Ron Perlman, and Brad Dourif
>directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
>has garbage script
>"t-they fucked with m-my vision"
Whedon should never be trusted

I really enjoyed Vol. 2 overall but I feel like they really overdid the humor of Drax. He had exactly one serious moment and then everything else was him making jokes.

Friendly reminder that every Phase 2 film had a Joss Whedon rewrite before filming to better "fit the tone and narrative" of the Avengers films and he STILL managed to fuck up continuity and character arcs that much

Source?

To be fair there's not much you can do with Drax when you don't have an army of paper minions for him to do his killing stuff. I don't mind he was relegated to a comedic duo with Mantis.
The scene where she touches him when he's thinking about his family and then starts crying was really sad and sweet at the same time. And the part where Drax lifts Mantis so she doesn't get buried in the ground was also great.

For what he was, I enjoyed Ronan

He chewed scenery nicely, was a force of nature more than an actual character, and for me, his high point was the face of pure disbelief bordering on fear he made in the "dance off" moment

>ignored SHIELD was destroyer
>ignored Tony destroying all his suits
>actually gave a slight nod to AoS
Seriously what the fuck?

>Bendis
OF FUCKING COURSE

>Members included comic book writer Brian Michael Bendis, Marvel Comics publisher Dan Buckley, current Chief Creative Officer of Marvel Enterprises Joe Quesada, and Alan Fine.
>This all sounds good in theory
Yeah, no.

Ronan was fucking awful, he was a non-entity for most of the movie, his most memorable moments were being shut down by Thanos and falling into Peter's stupid distraction.
They threw the "he's a kree fanatic and wants to kill Xandarians for... reasons" line and did nothing else with it. If they actually showed him being a crazy Kree purist and developing his character into something more than the designated baddie of the movie it'd have been a lot better.

>Carol and Ronan forge a rival/friend relationship
>Captain Marvel Carol "dies"/goes into comma
>Ronan's last memento from Carol was her "Ooooh child tape"
>fast forward to Guardians of the Galaxy
>"Dance off Bro!!"
>"WHY DID YOU SING THAT SONG?!"

bendis being there explains everything.

>Bendis

>To deny it is to deny the companies it represents, and their product.
And? I don't see anything wrong with that. We know exactly what types of products will survive when ((((they)))) are pushed back and denied profits, and those are the products that cater directly to us.

Drax being kind of the funny character adds to the power of the Mantis scene, though. He seems jovial but underneath that he has suffered alot of tragedy.

He may be a hack, but he's a hack a step above the rest of the hacks that work at Marvel

Reed was honestly the perfect person for the movie. He made it a movie about family and that really works for these characters

I like Drax. He doesn't act funny like Meme-Lord or Rocket, we just perceive him as such, he's actually very serious about everything including his nipples.

His three year contract had him as a consultant and polisher for all the films. Unfortunately all I'm finding are io9 articles and I don't want to click them.

He IS unstabble though. And as a pymfag I love him for it. He is his own worst enemy (hence why Ultron works) and when he does something not quite perfect he agonizes over it.

Rage of Ultron was also very good and he was done well in Busieks run. I love the idea of Pymtron and think Spencer did a pretty good job on that issue. Just not much has happened with Pymtron yet

Whedon fought hard to keep the whole Clint retreat scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMe1drnZY

>They were continuity nerds.

>Bendis
>continuity nerd

Didn't he think Hawkeye and Black Widow was "too predictable"?

>Craig Kyle
This is the only one of them who is actually good at theor jobs. But they even fucked him over. He wrote Thor 2 and they threw it out cause it was too dark. Instead they got Whedon to make it into another quipfest movie and remove all the gravitas he put in.

Or was that Yost that they did that too? Those two work together so often i forget

Bendis is a mark for himself he probably wanted to keep his "Wanda snaps and kills everybody" bit of continuity.

Wait, Bendis? A

yeah but he's flat out demonized for being unstable despite everyone else having done fucked up shit too and he's always being shit on unfairly

Bendis specifically said he had no interest in the characters of GotG until working on the movie.

Fuck if I know, I don't give a shit about shipping.

Oh yeah. Tony calling out Pym for being a fuckup is so far past hypocritical it's not even funny. Pym has helped more people than Tony could never hope to

Didn't notice the Guardians actors until Dave Bautista appeared on-screen.

Taserface was a stupid name mainly because it was a 5 year old who gave that character that name.

But Gunn overdid that joke.

>Stan-Lee
>despite having absolutely nothing to do with the Guardians
Englehart would've been a better choice but whatevs.

Wait, when did Carol and Ronan bro it up?

How strange, Ronan most memorable scene for me is when he gets his black paint and smashes that guys head in while talking about his vengence.

Yes.

The writer.

Bendis.

Stark has erased the memories of people worldwide TWICE, Reed was part of the Civil War junta that created the horrific negative zone prison. Neither gets half the shit Hank gets. Hell, a writer even had the future FF show up to lovingly suck Reed's rubber cock and assure him (post civil war) that he could do no wrong.

>nd smashes that guys head in while talking about his vengence.
That was the Thanos' scene.
> "The only matter I do not take seriously, boy, is you"

They also fucked him over with the Thanos scene.

As in, Brian Michael Bendis? Woah

>Edgar Wright walked away from Ant-Man.
I'm glad he did. The shit he wanted sounded retarded

Infinity

His intro scene is him literally bathing in Xandarian blood.

He didn't particularly want that scene because it made Ronan feel lesser, but felt being allowed to kill The Other after "The Avengers" made him out to be a big deal was a good enough compromise.

Both were on Thor 2 originally. Then Markus mcfeely came in. Then finally whedon. They made a boring movie out of a really big mess. Then both Kyle and Yost were brought back for the original treatment of Thor 3 before taika signed on and were replaced again prior to filming.

I liked that the film ended with him reconciling with his ex-wife and her new husband, without pulling the typical "gets back with the ex-wife because the new husband turns out to be a total douche," which was apparently where Wright was going to take it.

Jesus. Those two are grwat writers, why does Marvel hate them?

>muh power levels

Hollywood has, let's say, an adversarial relationship to material it adapts into a movie. Studio suits think they always know better and can make anything into a trilogy or a cinematic universe or whatever the hype thing is now, then make little changes here and there for marketing, or to make it play in a certain demographic, etc etc, and then the movie's fucked and they go "Welp, the whole thing was a mess, I guess this kind of movie just isn't popular! Better make six more Adam Sandler movies!" As you can imagine, this leads creatives to be somewhat leery around film adaptations of things.

That said, they also know how to make a goddamn movie. Directors and screenwriters aren't the same as the idiots in suits that worry if something is too high-concept for middle america. Not knowing this, Marvel's internal guys (who as we've established are already the god-kings of bad ideas) are unnecessarily hostile to anyone involved in the filmmaking process that isn't "one of theirs" - what "one of theirs" means varies constantly. This is what creates the weird conflicts we hear about years after the fact on every movie.

Most likely directors wanted to do their own thing. Thor 2 had the directorial change and the whole creative committee/ike perlmutter bullshit. They were picked for Thor 3 before winter soldier even hit theaters, final draft likely after GOTG 1 released. Then 1 year later an additional writer and taika joins the fray, months after the split from perlmutter. It happens and I would love to see their original script.

Thing is K&Y have proven themselves to have range. They can do family friendly cause they wrote all the good stuff in EMH, it was Man Of Action who ruined everything. And they also worked on X-Men Evolution. Then when they went to comics they did the extremely violent X-Force. I'm pretty sure they could combine the two for a good movie

Not that user, but it was before that, where he smashes the Xandarian's head on his ship

When I first saw the first GotG2 trailer, I had a mixed apathy and interest, until Drax started laughing. That was when I realized I would sit through five or more GotG's even if they're the exact same as the first movie as long as I got to see Bautista that happy. The guy seems to be enjoying the movie more than anyone and he's so genuine in his acting, it's 100% endearing.

Hello fellow Pymfag. Are you ready for the movie synergy? Darn tootin you are!

I'm trying to make a list of the inevitable exorcism of Pym from Ultron. Because, you know, movies and all. Also I have a feeling they're going to try and change Janet totally again. She was a sociopath. Now shes a mother. So she will probably go back to lusting over Pym cock (even though they both work better as friends).

>Pym returns to be a father to Nadia which will lead to them not taking their medications and beating the shit out of Janet together

>no one in my theater audibly laughed during anything in GOTG 2 except for the Mary Poppins joke that was added in by Disney producers

There were some slightly uncomfortable moments while watching it due to how quiet the theater was.

yeah the new husband getting over his beef with Scott and them reconciling was a nice end