What's Sup Forums's opinion on BvS?

What's Sup Forums's opinion on BvS?

I figure if anyone can decide whether it's good or not, it's you guys.

Hm, no responses yet. I'll start with my own opinion then.

For starters, its use of the leitmotif of perception versus reality plays into literally everything happening, up to and including the revelation at the end that Clark was looking at the world through a filter of his own, doing what we all do - focusing on the polarized extremes and missing the whole truth.

For another, it takes the three principles of the film, and uses them to craft an allegorical tale stressing the importance of communication across cultural divides and the perils of succumbing to xenophobia, paranoia, and a biased media.

Lastly, it uses the characters of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman to represent different eras of myth in both pop culture and antiquity.

In essence, this film takes what Miller did with DKR, swaps the roles around a bit, and ties them more firmly to the modern geopolitical climate, all while doing honor to the history of comics as a medium in general, and the history of the DC characters in particular.

It was ok

It's shit

Well, it only made $105 million in net profit, making it a heavy disappointment and actually less profitable than literally-who capeshit films like Redditpool and Memians of the Galaxy.

best capeshit film

Go to bed, Sup Forums. This joke got stale months ago.

It may not have been AS profitable as they wanted it to be, but the fact remains that it turned a pretty nice profit despite scathing critical reviews (sigh). I can't imagine they're all that displeased, and it's certainly not going to stop them from making more DCEU films.

The leitmotif of perception vs reality even plays into the audience, such as how people who defend it invent things that aren't actually present in the movie itself.

I liked it. It's certainly flawed - Snyder always directs his actors to be stiff and cold, the plot isn't explained enough, you need to have read lots of DC comics in order to understand stuff like Robin being killed by the Joker, the action isn't always clear cut.

But it also portrayed a run down Batman and a frightened Superman, and a Wonder Woman who took her job seriously instead of using her to make jokes about sexism. BvS did something very different, in that it brought its heroes low and then made them take a hard look at themselves and their screw ups. I liked that a lot.

I went into it with high expectations. I really liked the beginning scene with Bruce. I actually liked most of the scenes with Bruce. I didn't care much for the rest, and frankly I thought the Doomsday fight was awful.

Yeah, that's why I'm having to explain it to you, right?

Furthermore, if you claim any familiarity at all with comics and are completely unaware of the allegorical messages in stories like DKR, I'll be half the night explaining it to you through a rising chorus of "HEADCANON." The point where you join them is really the only thing that's uncertain.

If you're really interested in understanding this movie, actually do some research into the comics lore. Understand what it's been used for in the past and it will better prepare you to understand how it's being used in BvS.

It's like "The Tree of Life" for comic book fans.

>It may not have been AS profitable as they wanted it to be, but the fact remains that it turned a pretty nice profit
No, it was pretty much a disaster. Their proto-Avengers film with the two biggest superheroes ever (plus Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman, they're just missing Joker to complete every draw) made them less money than Wonder Woman's solo. By a lot. It made less money than either of the previous two Batman films. It made them less money than Chris Pratt and a talking raccoon.

Bravo Snyder.

It wasn't bad, just very badly edited and tried to cram way too much stuff in. Oh, and they killed Superman on its second appearance.

You see, in an objective sense, I can appreciate the movie because of the ideas it's trying to present. It's going a bit deeper than Superman-as-Christ or whatever.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that so many characters sound and act borderline autistic. It lacks a lot of humanity, and tries to take quick shortcuts to get to basic character arc turns. This is why the Martha line gets so much cringe, or the Clark/Lois bathtub scene, or Bruce getting that phone call from an employee.

It's like they want to create a Greek myth here, but they don't understand that even the Greeks didn't want fully stoic characters.

Only because of the critical reception. Notice that GotG is actually quite well received.

Listen, I think Wonder Woman should show you that DC knows what they're doing.

I'm pretty sure comic fans didn't want a Tree of Life.

All the allegory, references, and deep symbolism in the world can't make a shitty movie into a good one.

The titular fight could've been avoided by Clark immediately saying that Lex kidnapped his mom. Or simply flying up in the air with Batman under his arm. Or if he just ripped off the armor immediately rather than lightly tossing Batman around like a moron (without enough strength to break his armor but with enough strength to potentially break his neck if he lands wrong).

>I think Wonder Woman should show you that DC knows what they're doing.
"Only because of the critical reception. Notice that Wonder Woman is actually quite well received"

Also, Snyder is the culprit not DC.

Check this out. Here's a handful of predictions I can make off all that "terribly-written" dialogue, that "un-relatable" reconciliation, and those "obvious" advertisements:

Lex is not only working with the government, he's the heart of the A.R.G.U.S. project, the government department that Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad report to. He had a deal with them to be the public face of the "Justice League," provided he could come up with a way to eliminate Bruce Wayne and give them Superman on a leash.

Bruce is probably going to have a flashback where he sees and hears Clark say "My mother" instead of "Martha," Clark's likely to comment at some point that he thought Bruce was either a mind-reader or had discovered his mother's name.

Clark's either coming back controlled or having to confront an imposter masquerading as him. I'm betting on the former, with him fighting off the possession/mind control with the help of Lois and the ghost of Pa Kent.

If you liked it, you're fine. If you didn't like it, also fine. If you call it a masterpiece, you're either memeing or legitimately fucking retarded.

Please explain to me what Lex Luthor's plan was.

I'm already convinced that Godzilla vs. Kong will do it better.

So basically, it doesn't really matter whether BvS failed or succeeded. It changes nothing.

What matters is, did you think it was a good movie or not?

Kidnap Superman's mom, convince people (and hopefully Batman) that he's evuul, and hope Supes would chimp out and Batman came to kill him.
Once they made up he went full damage control and made Doomsday.

I mean it wasn't hard just badly done.

What are you rambling about nigger?

I merely used your shitty excuse as to why Guardians of the Galaxy was more successful than BvS and applied to Wonder Woman to showcase how stupid it was.

>turns out ghidorah was behind everything
>mothra shows up at the final battle against mechagodzilla
>"she with you?"

Yeah, and I ignored that because it was a non sequitur. Did you like BvS or not? Stay on topic.

This post made me laugh pretty hard, good job.

Let's hope they follow it up with an empowering Mothra solo film.

>Mothra gets a popular electric violin theme

>Tree of Life
>shitty
Uh, what?

WW has been the only good once so far. Justice League will help decide whether WW was indicative of an upward trend or just a one-off.

KINO.

Id probably be more forgiving if Luthor wasnt horribly miscast

Holy shit, nigger, so you just don't continue conversations unless they agree with your point? Because pointing out fallacies in your statement is a completely valid reply doesn't matter if that's the main topic of the conversation. I'm not even the user you were replying to btw.
And I already stated my opinion before, so you can scroll up and read it if you're that interested, Mr. Autismo.

>Justice League will help decide whether WW was indicative of an upward trend or just a one-off
And everything depends on Joss Whedon's last minute reshoots.
I'd be lying if I said I'm not interested on what it'll turn out to be.

>Holy shit, nigger, so you just don't continue conversations unless they agree with your point?
Yes. No point wasting time on someone who can't be convinced of the merits of my argument.

I don't know who you think you're responding to but I understood the movie perfectly well.

anyway, I liked the visuals, they were the best part of the movie. Snyder has a thing for making long shots look like paintings, I love that shit.

I'm tired of this thread.
I'm tired of this forced meme.
I'd rather go back to baneposting at least that was funny.

The Dark Knight was also extremely good.

>I don't know who you think you're responding to but I understood the movie perfectly well.
If you didn't love it 100% then you didn't understand it. That's the meme.

>Baneposting
>on Sup Forums
The fuck? You realize that only happens on Sup Forums, right?

Superman is a wet blanket
Lois is an idiot
Batman is an idiot
Wonder Woman barely has a role
Lex is an idiot
Perry was the only good character

3/10 Shit film.

Well, that's because your "argument" was garbage. It's fucking stupid to dismiss Guardians' success over BvS just because it "was well received" and then proceeding to glorify Wonder Woman as DC's true potential when both were sleeper hits no one saw coming while BvS was a complete mess that failed to live up to the hype.

I meant in the DCEU. DC has obviously had good movies before MoS.

TDK is not part of the DCEU.

Except Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't even released in the same year as BvS. And I liked GotG.

How can you be so certain?

I: Batman Begins
II: The Dark Knight
III: The Dark Knight Rises
IV: Man of Steel
V: Batman V Superman

The V instead of VS is because it is the fifth in the series.

FACT: Nolan still has a hand in these films.
FACT: Ben Affleck Batman is an older JGL Batman, with a changed actor due to contract issues.

Good for you, champ.

Stop replying to me.

You first.

The mental gymnastics on this dude are impressive.

>user's mom posting with us

The Joker in TGK is completely different from the one in SS. Even if you use the multiple Jokers excuse, Nolan's Batman never had a Robin for the Joker to kill. The character named Robin was taking up the Batman title.

Happened off screen. Jared Leto Joker is clearly Tim Drake.

No.

A shame.

You seemed an honest man.

BUT HEY

Same goes for the haters.

You didn't.

*interrupts your reference* Blah blah blah blah blah. All that CHIT CHAT's gonna getcha HURT.

And all the fears you hold so dear will turn to whisper in your ear.

MOTHERFUCKING PEACH TEA

Doubt so.

>or the Clark/Lois bathtub scene

WTF is wrong with the bathtub scene?

And you know what they say might hurt you. And you know that it means so much.

I don't think so.

And you don't even feel a thing.

Nope.

>Make Batman and Superman fight
>It doesn't matter who wins, Lex either gets Superman killed or Superman bends the knee and becomes his slave, proving he's mightier than God

People don't seem to get he's got multiple plates spinning at the same time that all share the same overall goal.

I am falling.
I am fading.
I have lost it all.

Awful

How sad.

>leitmotif of perception versus reality plays into literally everything happening.

The word you are looking for is theme user. Leitmotif means something totally different. I assume you are trolling with this thread, but there are legitimately people out there that try to sound like this so it is hard to tell.

The theatrical version is absolute dog shit. If the director's cut was put in theaters it would have been received way better.

However, that still wouldn't have fixed Jesse Eisenberg's performance which is horrific.

And you don't seem the lying kind.

You do.

A shame that I can read your mind.

A shame indeed.

TOO MUCH FILLER

No reason for any of the JL intro's. Had nothing to do with the actual movie. As the movie is there was no need for Wonder Woman either, but with a stronger script she could have been interwoven into the story better.

The Lois Lane/black immigrant stuff was where the script was fucked from the foundation? We spend all this time with Lois Lane (Yes, I understand they had to give Amy Adams something to do) but we, the audience, already knows that Lex is behind everything. PLUS, when we finally get to the reveal scene, the scene where Lois has found out the truth and goes to the senate to expose Lex, or at the very least tell Superman about Lex, the immigrant reveals the information anyway and Holly Hunter's character finds out it's Lex doing everything anyway.

You essentially have two separate subplots building toward the same mid-movie climax and it's something the audience already knows. Everything about the Africa stuff was just a huge waste of screentime.

I love the movie.

the point of the JL stuff was to make Bruce feel even more abandoned, thats why in his letter to WW he asks "where were you?"

>the point of the JL stuff was to make Bruce feel even more abandoned, thats why in his letter to WW he asks "where were you?"

Cut it out and nothing is lost. Bruce looking at the costume of his dead Robin gets the point across just fine. Sometimes less is more.

Kong says Mothra to Godzilla, and Godzilla goes full autist.

>Everything about the Africa stuff was just a huge waste of screentime.

(same user)

To expand on this. DC and Snyder basically tried to make a movie about a mystery villain in a Superman movie with Lex Luthor in it. We know who the bad guy is already, that isn't going to work. Any screen time committed to the African immigrant or Lois's detective skills was a waste.

>Everything about the Africa stuff was just a huge waste of screentime

No it wasn't, it builds up the idea how intricate and long term Lex's plan is.

Okay, seriously, just fuck off.

for you

>No it wasn't, it builds up the idea how intricate and long term Lex's plan is.

He has a bunch of his men kill a bunch of people with his bullets and then set them on fire. People for some reason think Superman showed up and shot a bunch of people and then Lex buys some kryptonite.

Yeah, how incredibly intricate.

Chill out.

Somebody get this hothead out of here.

>People for some reason think Superman showed up and shot a bunch of people and then Lex buys some kryptonite.

No, the idea is he came in, wrecked everything to save Lois Lane, and in the process destabilized the entire region when he also deposed the local warlord because the power vacuum put the surrounding areas into chaos.

I don't know which one of you is which so I'm just going to reply to both.

See

Sup autismo?

And you know why? Because both Godzilla and Kong had their own movies instead of just dumping Kong right into the shit.

Side note, it would actually be pretty cool if Kong didn't have any particular powers and just used gadgets and his superior intelligence to give him the upper hand over Godzilla.