Okay. But what did being a pickle add to the plot?

Okay. But what did being a pickle add to the plot?
Was that the meme the whole time?

What does this thread add to the catalog?
is this the meme the whole time?

An honest question.

I thought the whole "making an exoskeleton out of cockroach and rat pieces" was pretty original and cool, but I guess the REEEEEEE women writers comes first.

*sigh* Okay. *cough*

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*Holy* *shit* *you* *gargantuan* *fucking* *faggot*, *kill* *yourself*

He wanted to escape therapy so he looked for a shit excuse to get out of it but the family saw right through his bullshit so the plan backfired.

I wanted to see the whole exoskeleton factory building process and mastering the cockroaches but I guess the therapist clichés were too important.

Watch the episode first then come back and tell us.

My 2 cents: Rick does absurd and amazing things just for the thrill of it/because he's just a random spaz. He wants to live an exciting adventure of a life. Beth does too and feels like she could have been just like Rick if he hadn't left her with her mom.

I hope you get banned from Sup Forums too, you autistic piece of shit.

It was a ridiculously absurd way of getting out of group therapy. Then everything with the rats and russians was an absurd consequence of his plan backfiring on him.

Pretty great episode really. I mean if you judge it as a show and don't just care about maymays.

If only you watched the episode and didn't come here to shitpost after the fact.

I really liked the ending, I like seeing Beth and Rick grow closer.

Also, Beth is a terrible parent, just like her dad.

>getting triggered by fake triggering

Honestly the only reason I hate the hiatus is because there were far less faggots like you around when S2 was airing.

>written by women
>heavily features therapy
Write what you know, eh?

Been watching since S1E1, don't delude yourself into believing you're not one of the reasons global warming exists.

They wanted an episode where Rick gets into a "pickle" he brought himself into and has to rely on nothing but his own wits to get out of it. Turning himself into a pickle is nothing but a play on words, so I thought it's fine. However, they overhyped this episode a little bit in recent interviews. They said that usually, you only see a jumpcut to one of Rick's inventions to save the day, but you rarely see his brain work and build that stuff. I think in that regard the episode fell a bit flat, because Rick doesn't really struggle and you don't SEE him building the device he uses to get the rat bodyparts. I wanted that sewer scene to go on much longer and turn into a fight-or-die situation where Rick constantly has to improvise.
Whatever, still a decent episode and I loved Jaguar.

I am watching this episode right now. It's the dumbest most edgy thing I have ever seen. So it's true what you guys said it really is fucking edgy.

heh that's pretty funny

"geez, Morty, can you not try to find a hidden meaning in all of this and just be impressed?"

I sometimes see people complain about how Rick is always getting out of REALLY fucked up situations like they're nothing, take episode 301 as an example.
That's the thing tho, and it's not that hard to understand. Rick is THE most intelligent person in the (R&M) universe. He could destroy galaxies with a nickle and a lemon smoothie. Being a fucking pickle isn't going to stop him. I know he almost died, but I bet no-one would last any longer than he did in that situation while being a fucking pickle.

He literally explains why he does it, you idiots.

He even had the serum over his head to turn him back into a human set for ten minutes. Why are you so stupid?

This is Sup Forums

They are both "to intelligent to be sincere". Morty and Summer are having their fucked-up problems because neither their parents or grandpa care enough to talk to them with empathy and intelligence. Beth and Rick would rather call the therapist a quack because she called them on their shit and then go day-drinking. It's sad, but I want to go sadder.

He became a pickle so he didn't have to go to the therapy thing, and the syringe that would have turned him back was used as an item by Dr. Wong to call out Beth's insecurities towards her perception of Rick.

The plot involving him having a whacky crazy adventure as a pickle introduced Jaguar, who is already shown to return in a later episode

The PICKLE RIIIIIIIIIIIIICK promos were used to sell T-Shirts

Character debut and development aside I ultimately think this episode was made to sell T-Shirts

family guy fan detected

Absurdity and nonsense are a staple of comedy.

I don't like how Morty and summer are basically robots who just look around and say nothing the whole episode
Like holy shit I get they aren't the center of the plot but if you are going to have them there make them do more than just be a background
Watch at the end when Rick and Beth talk in the car and summer stays completely rigid until she gives her line and then goes back to being in the exact same position and Morty gives his line and goes back to not moving
It's like a machine wrote them

It was fucking stupid. The only funny thing abut this episode was rick announcing he was a pickle and that was just slightly funny in a dumb way.

EPISODE WHER

Reddit and memes is ripping off avgn now

>written by women
>50% male writers
>makes the mother out to be an irredeemable piece of shit

I don't see the SJW shit everyone is crying about

Just go on their main site, user.

Literally nothing, they could've had him start doing excuses of needing to go to other dimensions and planets for research and resources, but they just made him a pickle for the maximum memeatic absurdity.

The excessive amount of gore was just immature and childish, none of it was entertaining or good to watch, just guts and blood being splattered everywhere for whatever fucking reason.

Still, Pickle Rick isn't anywhere near as horribly low-effort as the self-insert shrink who is obsessed with literal shit-eaters. Goddamn, the writer of this episode was so unbelievably narcissistic.

That's the point. To show how Beth's idolization of rick overshadows her love for her kids. They are basically background characters to her.

Are we allowed to just find Rick going crazy in his pickle form amusing on its own merits?

Also, are we currently pro-episodic/anti-serial storytelling, or pro-serial/anti-episodic storytelling? I forget.

The rest of the episode I agree with you but I like their roboticness in the final scene.
They're realizing that there will be no change in the problems at home and that any future issues will all be blamed on them.
So they're sitting there kind of in stunned silence.

>*sigh* *cough*

You need to go back.

I get why they do it, it just makes the episode really bad
It's like if they made every other character walk into the background and shine a spotlight to her like in theater, I get why they do it and the dialogue at the end between her and Rick is completely realistic
It doesn't mean it's good, it made the episode worse just like last episode was made worse by Beth interacting with the robots
She is rapidly becoming the worst aspect of the show
I don't care about Beth, you never have me a reason to care about Beth, Im not going to start caring just because you point at her and tell me to

It was just there to be a forced meme. The types of folks that unironically think Rick and Morty is the smartest show on television also think forced memes are the pinnacle of comedy.

If you liked it, that's fine, I didn't find Rick that entertaining. Rick doesn't work very well if he has no one to bounce off of.

This is what I kinda took away from them just sitting there as well.

>we
just do whatever you want. Rick's simple plan to transform back into a human right after they left would have worked had he not called Morty over, so I don't know what the hell Rick was thinking with that. And if he really wanted to get out of therapy, he could have just left the house like any other person would do to avoid responsibility. His ability to get into the stupidest shit as well as the ability to get out of it naturally makes for nice spontaneous adventures at the expense of meaningful interaction with his supposed loved ones.

So yes, it is amusing. It's also nice when the episodes give rare moments of emotional connection between Rick and his family before he dives right back into stupid shit. I like the adventures taking priority over the family drama, so stuff like the divorce angst permeating into the kids' behavior from the second episode was pushing on my threshold a bit.

Also I wonder why he is so fixated on living with Beth. Morty is needed for his dumb brain waves apparently, and Summer just comes along because she's bored and he likes her initiative as opposed to Morty's caution. I wouldn't mind if season 3 is used to explore his relationship with Beth some more.

This. I want to see how he did all this with no proper arms.

The whole plot was that Rick turned himself into a pickle to avoid going to family therapy.

Are people just shitposting or are they actually so retarded to not pick up on the most basic aspects of each episode?

Anything helpless and physically useless could have worked. he could have been an apple or a bucket.

They just happened to pick a pickle.
Or maybe because pickle and rick sound similar a bit.

this episode had NONE of the usual nuance and the whole pickle rick sub plot didnt lead anywhere.

the popular idea that pickle rick was the way rick escaped from galactic prison was SO much better

and therapy? REALLY? that is so much shoved down the throat psychology. erk. the whole family should have gone on a transdimensional adventure that make them learn the same lessons.

they need a better writing staff for this season....

>they need a better writing staff for this season....
too expensive

I think the psychology thing worked in that they showed it didn't work.
In most shows, by the time the characters have to go to psych, they end up learning something. That didn't happen here. The kids even wanted to keep going but that got ignored.

Yeah, there were "literally dump the explanation down your throat so literally any moron could grasp it" moments but that just makes the fact they chose to ignore it work better.

>His ability to get into the stupidest shit as well as the ability to get out of it naturally makes for nice spontaneous adventures at the expense of meaningful interaction with his supposed loved ones.
I didn't expect my post to elicit illuminating comments about the episode's theme, but yes, that's what the therapist was getting at.

>
Also I wonder why he is so fixated on living with Beth.
I think the going theory is still that Beth is his wife. Anyway, I'm sure we'll get more of the exploration that you're looking for.

It's possible that Rick subconsciously planned the whole adventure. The syringe was so obvious (not from the viewers' perspective but from the family's perspective) that he must have taken that into account. It's possible that, knowing how cats see pickles/cucumbers as snakes, he chose a pickle rather than some other food/inanimate object because it'd help him along if/when things went sideways and the syringe either didn't work or got found out and removed.

And that pretty much defines Rick's approach to things. Huge -- HUGE -- risks with pretty decent rewards of adventure/loot at the end. If there isn't a gamble, then it's no fun; if there's no gamble *and* it leads to introspection, then it's particularly no fun.

what a stupid show

subconsciously maybe.
The show is pretty eager to tell you when rick meant to do a thing that seems like something he didn't meant to do after he does it, though.

>beth his wife
What the actual fuck

you're not victimizing yourself enough. Theyre out to get us you know

>The show is pretty eager to tell you when rick meant to do a thing that seems like something he didn't meant to do after he does it, though.

Yes, but in the same way, the "Rick" thing to do when presented with something he doesn't want to do is to just say, "Fuck that, I don't want to do it." Even, arguably, to the degree that it involves Beth, he likely would have just said, "Nope, not going," under normal circumstances.

The added guilt of causing Beth and Jerry's divorce and his grandkids' nearly unhinged behavior, probably made him just not want to deal with things in his usual direct way.

It was a good episode.

Beth just keeps getting worse as a character.

Honestly I'm just glad they are starting to shit on Rick. He was basically a Mary Sue by the point so at least SOMEONE in the show acknowledges what a piece of shit he is.

Without Gerry around to shit on, she'll start taking flak. The writers and fans may have disliked the floundering marriage plots, but they got too used to using Gerry as a punching bag. Their focus will wander until a new target is found, and Beth is the easy mark that lets them fall on old habits.

>the whole family should have gone on a transdimensional adventure that make them learn the same lessons.

No, they couldn't, that was the entire message behind this episode. They need therapy to have any chance of being a functional family and for Rick that's boring. Hard work, blah blah blah. Any semblance of a lesson they might have begun to learn on an adventure would be overshadowed by the adventure and its events.

>I think the going theory is still that Beth is his wife
Explain.

Television episodes need plot devices to begin.

With something that may as well have been written via Madlibs, you mock the concept of the plot hook itself.

By doing something clever immediately following the random plot hook, using cockroaches like robots, the writing becomes sarcastic rather than just stupid. Maybe stupidly sarcastic, but at least it isn't solely stupid.

Its illogical that he managed that in maybe fifteen minutes, so the cutaway is necessary.

>killing rats and gangsters is edgy

>a therapist summarizing her job as the equivalent of teaching someone how to wipe his own ass is a narcissistic self-insert

That sounds about right.

Why didn't they just pick him up and take him to therapy with them? They already saw through his bluff and took the reverse-pickle serum away, he was completely powerless.

because that would be to smart too do and you wouldn't have the le epic pickle rick adventures as a shitty excuse to hastily explain a character's flaws in a 3 minute scene at the end of the show

The joke room got a bit outta hand

Stop digging for hidden layers and just be impressed!

You beat me to it. Although, I think I did it a little better.

Jesus christ, did you guys miss the entire premise of the joke? It's that Rick went through great lengths to avoid following through on a promise he loathed. That was the joke. He's like a kid that will come up with an elaborate means of getting out of chores but winds up doing them anyway.

I think it was implied that Beth wanted Rick to need her by asking her for the serum back. She wasn't really that concerned by getting Rick help.

You dense motherfucker. How the hell showing the exoskeleton building and factory add to the story arch? Do you have any idea how to dramatize even something simple as gag avtion scene?

This. Sometimes it hurts being among the small percentage of Sup Forums smart enough to understand Rick and Morty.

Rick Built a microverse

Zeep lives in that microverse and is the only one that realizes the purpose of his world, it fucks with him

Rick is also aware of the reason for his existence; he was created for a cartoon show made to entertain audiences. It fucks with him. This is why he is so depressed and nihilistic. This also explains why he's able to break the 4th wall and nobody else can. He makes stupid catchphrases out of nowhere.
Sometimes he asks for help from "God". He is asking the writers to bail him out.

He understands that he needs to keep the audience entertained so the show doesn't get cancelled. That explains the catchphrases and wacky adventures, that explains making himself into a pickle.

>I like seeing Beth and Rick grow closer.
They don't. They're pretending everything is fine and forgetting they were challenged about their sick disfunctional relationship.

we "get" it, it's just fucking retarded

Beth didn't want to force him to go to something he wanted to avoid so bad that he turned himself into a pickle.

Therapy is something you have to want to do or else it won't help

it was just the show pointing out that Beth, not Jerry, was the shitty parent.

Jerry tried to be a dad, he's just spineless, but overall an empathetic father.

Beth doesn't, and never has cared about her children and only ever cared about her Father.

>force someone to go to therapy unwillingly
Only a good idea if they are literally at risk of getting themselves killed. Rick would have spent the entire trip rationalizing how he's "above" therapy and complaining that psychology is just a pseudoscience anyways.

I understood the premise because I don't let my hate in politics control my life. I can't vouch for the other dumb asses here.