Have overtly simple character designs which would make animating them much easier

>Have overtly simple character designs which would make animating them much easier
>Don't animate them beyond simple movements
At least anime can justify it's simple animation with incredibly strong art styles.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3PE50PZG5aw
youtube.com/watch?v=qLYRRdENpJM
youtube.com/watch?v=rtmD6ZyAvUs
webmshare.com/play/5xDWY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

See, the reasoning for this is pretty simple

>instead of making it good, why don't we just make it bad so we don't have to work as hard

You'll find that this formula gets applied to almost everything these days.

pic unrelated?

You can't appreciate minimalism?

There's so many times in this show where they don't even animate a walk cycle and have the characters comically float from point A to B. There's only so many times you can do that joke before it stops being funny and starts being obvious it's to save time on animation.

There's a fine line between minimalism and just being lazy.

I don't have a problem with simple character designs at all, I actually prefer them when done right.
I just don't like O.K. KO's designs because they're just not very good. Everyone looks like a poorly drawn background character meant to blend into a crowd.

Wrong, being lazy is also minimalism, it's just bad minimalism.

however i think the minimalism of OK KO is a good one

>I don't know what minimalism is
It's like you're even more autistic and retarded on Sup Forums than you are on Sup Forums.

It's a "Sup Forums doesn't understand that most western animated shows are animated by Korean slave labor" episode

When will these repeats end?

You are the one who doesn't know what minimalism is.

Simplistic animation + art style = minimalism

Actually minimalism is just being lazy.
The fact that it got its own pretty gay name was only so that the fucking gay artist could sell their gay ass paintings for billions in their stupid ass money laudring bussines whitout raising more gay ass alarms.

Minimalism killed my parents.

Animation everywhere but Europe is slave labor. Yet the entirety of anime manages to do much more with way more detailed designs than cartoons do with basically fucking potato designs. And yes, that's including the vast amount of moments in anime that are basically slideshows.

Castlevania is basically 50% static images and still looks better than most cartoons.

Theoretically could one try to appeal to Trump's domestic business ideals and end South Korean exportation to create more animation jobs Stateside?

>Actually minimalism is just being lazy.
You are wrong there. minimalism is a stylistic choice.

Listen how much minimalism can achieve:
youtube.com/watch?v=3PE50PZG5aw

>western animation is shit and barebones

is this suppose to be a big revelation?

I thought Trump was going to bring back our jobs? Sanctions on South Korean animation! Animate American!

Okay, if you want shows to have worse animation because American animators will demand more for the same amount of work.

Oh let me guess, you're the "still frames are more important than movement" kind of guy right?

Considering a lot of cartoons have still frames regardless of design with just lips flapping, they may as well have nice drawings to look at. Otherwise holding so long on scribble art just looks bad. Like pic related they kept cutting back to even though Steven never fucking moved.

Explain why most Titmouse shows look great and those are animated in-house.

No, you fucking moron. Simplicity is not synonymous with minimalism. Minimalism is the idea of less being more. It's to remove virtually anything and everything that you'd consider to be a distraction or unnecessary in order to amplify the more important aspects. There is absolutely nothing about OK KO's art, animation or even narrative that is minimalist.

Name the shows.

> Like pic related

It looks a lot like it was done for comedic effect. You know, a cartoon.

Motorcity
TURBO
Niko and the Sword of Light
Superjail
Venture Brothers (Season 5 onwards)

Even the shows that have really limited animation still have really nice art direction, like Moonbeam City and Hanazuki.

Then it was a mistimed joke since nothing in that scene suggested there should be a weird frog face expression during a battle with a new unknown threat.

>limited animation

you answered your own question. you can use tweening to get around not having korean slaves, but not everybody wants to do that.

It's weird to me that anime gets so much praise when the workload vs. the pay makes it only a few steps above slavery for the actual animators

People are too busy beating meat to the flavor of the month to acknowledge the shitty work conditions in the Japanese animation industry

should people not praise the pyramids just cause they were built mostly on slave labor? it sucks about the pay but there's not much us westerners can do about it, the fact still stands that no one beats a jap in animation.

it's ez when you save the budget for a few specific scenes and leave the rest to be a still image with mouth flaps

Holy shit the animation
The goddam fluidity
Literally BTFO SU out the park
This show has strong potential

a little fat boy in an action scenario is inherently comedic.

Pyramids weren't built by slave labour, they were built by volunteers. Mainly farmers who got nothing bether to do in the time between seed and harvest

>Simplicity is not synonymous with minimalism
Minimalism applies to art, simplicity applies to both art and non-artistic things.

That's the difference

SU is WAY better than OK KO and i say it as someone who likes both shows

studio yotta are a team of hacks

its a "what the fuck is this conflict unfolding before me" look, because at that point he still knew next to nothing about the whole crystal gems vs homeworld thing

Simplicity is to make something accessible or easy to understand and comprehend. That is not what minimalism is. They have two completely different definitions.
Please fucking kill yourself, you are so goddamn retarded.

This show is cute and fun and I like it more than I thought I would.

And I want to lewd nearly every female in it

Even if we fucking did do everything in the west they'd still look like shit because nobody has the training to fucking animate well. schools have totally given up on that since all studios do is ship it overseas.

Another anime bait thread, we were overdue. >Judging kidsshows on thier artstyle
>not looking at thier plot or plremise.
>makes excuses for japan who does the same thing.

i got a place you can go.

>At least anime can justify it's simple animation with incredibly strong art styles.
>OP says this unironically

I thought perhaps that show had solid writing to make up for it's shit character design and animation.

Nope, Sup Forums is just slobbing it's nob because they're idiots.

Anime is shit but i get your point, i really like KO and while i find the style charming im also a bit worriend when the stuff a total amateur like me does looks so close to an actual show airing, like at least give them hands not just little circles if i can do it fucking cartoon network can do it a 100 times better

Sounds like you don't enjoy the appearance of a cartoon show. Whoop de doo.

Dude, OK KO intentionally shirks it's animation to save it for the action, dynamic shots and fights. It may not appeal to you but I like it.

this is some impressive stupidity, even by Sup Forums standards

>look it has good animation sometimes
okay. the bad parts are still bad.

There's no need to be upset friend.

>okay. the bad parts are still bad.

Well you can't have your cake and it eat it too. If you don't like it don't watch it!

>Have overtly simple character designs which would make animating them much easier

They still sending the storyboards to Korea because american are too lazy for render flash animation of one-colour blobs in his/her own Pcs

That must have been some good weed.

please stop talking. your ignorance is offensive

studio yotta doesn't work on the full show, just some of the shorts

Just because the work is hard doesn't mean we arent going to acknowledge that its overall better than anything American has going on .
quality is quality

>says anime is shit
>more than half of CN current line up is heavily influenced by it
>staff are all unapologetic weeaboos
dumbass

That looks horrible.

Quick someone post a recent episode of One Piece

>They have to have shit animation so they can do average moments like pic related

There's literally nothing impressive in that gif other than it moves, which is a fucking stellar achievement for modern animation.

Well would you rather explain in depth how bad it is or are ya just gonna be contrarian to everything?

youtube.com/watch?v=qLYRRdENpJM

Sorry, last one was fucked up, I didn't watch to make sure.
youtube.com/watch?v=rtmD6ZyAvUs

I didn't say it was bad, I said it "wasn't impressive". It's literally a character moving from point A to point B with like, an 8-frame turn around. There's virtually no stretch and squash aside from that one drawing during the spin-dash, there's no secondary action or follow through to really add to the movement, even the special effects are bland.

Doing a quick search to find a gif with similar movement, this is a lot more fun to look at and doesn't really do anything more technically astounding than the animation you posted.

>one episode where they pumped up the budget for Biggu Mommu's intro

M8 you're not fooling anyone.
You think Dressrosa is something niggers just forget?

Wasn't the one who posted the gif, but have this one. I'll take your point on it's not being the most astounding, sorry for giving the (You).

You do realize that cartoons in the US are still fairly niche? Right? Even some of the more popular shit like gravity falls never got any proper box set releases and such.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. Why not ask for a show with a comparable budget to any American production? Or as lenient of a production schedule? Or anything, really, that isn't the most mass produced possible example?

Nerdland was also pretty nice.

You're also a huge dipshit.

nice goalposts

That's pretty much the kind of nonsense response I figured I'd get

It's fairly niche in Japan, too. Pretty much all anime is kid shit or otaku bait. The difference is really just that America can't afford to make otaku bait, because unions make it so much more expensive to put a show together.

Literally everything i said is correct.
minimalism when applied to art doesn't talk just about one style. it just means that it uses very little to achieve what it's supposed to achieve, which means many different styles can be used in a minimalistic way

Can someone even name a recent show the U.S. has actually animated? Aside from that one valt cartoon.

Like what anime?

I'm enjoying this one this season
webmshare.com/play/5xDWY

You are right, simplicity and minimalism have different definitions.

But while minimalistic art can have a deep and profound meaning, it still relies on simplistic elements in order to create that art

That girl used to be hot in the pilot. First, they added a midriff for some reason (though, thats just personal preference I like the original costune better. But, then they just took all the volume from her arms and made her legs look more unusually fat than a Chun-Li type strong. Even with the dick looking nose, you can't tell me the original doesn't look better than this shit. It's like if a kid tried to draw the original design in a scrap paper and they made it the new design.

Wasn't expecting the gun.
Color me keked

The pilot design looks like ass with its muppet nose and featureless body. It's pathetic what you fags see as 'hot'

I knew this show was going to be shit just based on who created it
>pic related

I admit the Internet has muddled my standards. Still stand by my point. The new one's proportions are fucking distractingly bad.

>Worked on Venture Brothers
>But it's IMPOSSIBLE to convey certain emotions, expressions, jokes, and sequences via script!

And he said this during Steven Universe, who isn't doing stuff on an Ed Edd n Eddy level and could easily be translated to screenwriting format.

Dude we are in a fuckig chinese cartoon board are you so retarded you took that seriously of course i like anime you stupid fuck why else would i like a show with what is basically american kid goku as main character

It's shit like this which leads to Steven's fag walk

>more fat than a chun-li type strong
Chun-li's had very thick legs and somewhat slender arms since third strike, or at least when both nishimura and akiman exaggerated it more. Shut the fuck up, dude. But I agree, Enid's new design is really off looking. The shifts in animation/storyboarding quality doesn't help it become any less jarring.
You're missing the point, jackass.

I don't get it. Does SU really have that much visual humor that not even some points can be scripted? He makes it sounds like this show is Superjail-tier "something is always moving that can't always be explained with just words" but its not. Its just some slow-paced fights and tame slapstick at best.

Sorry you were so passionate about Chun-Li's legs, man. I guess an admittedly better way of discribing it is that it was more proportional. I think I kind of was just trying to pinpoint what was so wrong and that's it. The body parts just don't look like they fit with eachother.

Like I said, I agree over how jarring Enid's new design looks. Whenever she's on screen its pretty distracting in terms of how bad it looks. And yes, thank you for acknowledging my passion in Chun-li's legs.

>I don't get it.
He's a hack who's only claim to success is either being black or dating the creator of the show or both.

But Jews told me they were slaves and they build them, you must be lying!

I love how quick people jump to calling people hacks. Makes the whole hackfruad joke a reality. Ian has shown to be a prettty alright cartoonist. (Knockforce/rpg) But he definitely needs to brush up on writing and drawing more. When storyboarded for other shows it was too fucking apparent.

If you're an artist but decide that suddenly makes you a writer, then that makes you a hack

Now that I think about it, it's pretty weird.

I like how unhinged the show is whenever it goes off-model, but the designs are so unbelievably bland that I think they only did that to make it easy and cheap to animate so they can pump out multiple dozens of episodes. Laziness might also be a big part of it, but I won't be surprised if this show was as cheap as TTG.

In another unrelated note, I'm getting tired of the show placing Enid on a pedestal and how KO practically worships her.

>That girl used to be hot in the pilot.
Nigger, her nose is a penis and her design still looks half-assed. Still, she does look better than what we got other than the face.

>Proof that nepotism is ruining modern cartoons

>you can't have your cake and it eat it too
that argument doesn't make sense. im not wrong for wanting shows to have consistently good animation. instead of spending the budget making one or two parts look great and the rest look like shit, why not just make less of a show but have more of it look good?
and yeah hits the nail on the head, but im criticizing the industry just as much as im criticizing ok ko.
quality control doesn't seem to be as prominent as quantity control

i really like OK KO because its the only show I end up watching like a stoic, in that i have absolutely no expectations for it to be good at all so it always ends up being nice when its decent.

That explains a lot, honestly

Is it just these screenshots, or does this show actually have these weird choppy MS Paint lines?