JSA Storytime: Mr. X

Good evening owls,

Tonight, Frozen Assets

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/interview-tom-king-tackles-new-gods-mythology-in-mister-miracle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Howdy.

Holy shit we're in like 2013+ now?

I forget what order this all properly goes in so I've just been doing it as antho excerpts and then next we'll do minis

Mister X jumps from the 90s to like a decade ahead out of nowhere. The series was dormant for a long time before Motter brought it back.

Hello, Storyteller.

Can Mark Millar just fuck off already? I am 1000% done with him and his edgelord bullshit. And now this fuckstain is getting his own fucking Netflix show, because we live in a shit cyberpunk novel, and this is the oh so subtle commentary on how entertainment has become enslaved to the lowest common denominator. Goddamn.

Cry more.

This interview pretty much diminished my interest in Mister Miracle down to next to nothing.

cbr.com/interview-tom-king-tackles-new-gods-mythology-in-mister-miracle/

Does anyone know how the comixology scans of Mage are? I've seen some stuff about bad recoloring but don't know if that's on comixology or I should find old scans

Mark Millar isn't entirely bad IMO. Also if you haven't read 2000AD Millar you haven't read truly shit Millar (as in, not even bad enough to laugh at).

you know my stance, "don't like, ignore"

that is also my general take on the article about YA fandom that's blowing up the internet and I'm here with the popcorn for: if you haven't read something that's awesome, but then you go after it for being bad, mostly nah

Or his fucking Youngblood stories.
And I think Millar is in the middle of a shit resurgence.

>a Game of Thrones-type story
Dropped so fucking hard. That hack can go fcuk himself.

I don't really care that much about him either way. Superior was fine I guess?

That's not even the bad part.
His thoughts on Orion are almost Bendis-levels of bullshit.

You have to actively try to not get Orion as hard as King has.

Oh wow yeah there are so many DO NOT WANTs so quickly in that interview, but it's hard to cut what's genuine out from what's there as marketing talk.

I know OP wants no spoilers so not gonna discuss but: yeah, I get you.

Man if people enjoy that stuff, let em, no skin off my ass.

It was funny to see some Twitter folks get upset about it because they've now retroactively dubbed Millar an enemy of progress or something. Up there with the folks getting mad at that new HBO Confederate show because they didn't like the premise and went "DELETE THIS".

I don't get why people can't just go "this does not appeal to me, so I will not buy it".

Wow, he REALLY doesn't get Orion at all, holy shit.

Yeah I really liked Starlight and Jupiter's Legacy. Need to look into his comic with Capullo.

He doesn't really seem to get MM either. Or like, Kirby on the New Gods.

But whatever. I'm fine with a new take if it's good in and of itself.

And it's crazy because Netflix has the rights to some of Millar's cooler stuff.

I mean, Netflix is getting American Jesus. That's got...insane potential.

>Need to look into his comic with Capullo.
It's not as bad as Empress or Chrononauts - it has a character backbone unlike those two. Worth a quick read,

It's the sense of there being a zero-sum economy as in "If this gets published something I like won't", but also the continual attempt to pull fannish ecosystems in the direction of their personal preferences

fuck yes Mister X
the education continues

At least with his ideas on Scott Free and stuff like Granny or Highfather...it's a totally valid thing that hasn't been explored before.

Orion though...it's just some weird insane bias.

Maybe it's not a good idea to pre-emptively shit on something directly at the creator for weeks upon weeks upon weeks and hundreds of thousands of words huh. Maybe that is actually harassment instead of the creator protesting about it, even.

As soon as your attitude is "You do not even read this thing" I'm off the ride. Know thyself.

It's funny how hypocrites like you give King a free pass because "it's his own take, maaan" but give hacks like Bendis shit when they fail to get your favorite character.

NO SPOILERS GODDAMMIT

I FUCKING MEAN IT

No spoilers...but King comes off as a dumbass in that interview.

Not him but Bendis is bad on two levels. It's not just the lack of caring about continuity but also the execution is terrible. There's room for nuance in criticism.

That's still enough, take it to another thread if you want to bitch about it.

Why would you care about spoilers about what is transparently going to be one of the worst New Gods books of all time, and will only be liked by people with zero knowledge of the characters?

Bendis was just an example, there's plenty of other cases where Sup Forums's persona non grata isn't allowed to "do their own thing" with a character, but the latest meme writer is.

Read that, I hate that people hide behind "journalism" when it suits them and "opinion piece" when it doesn't.

It's something we see in the whole of " "nerd" "culture" " now since there's a belief that everything has to be for everyone (by everyone, they usually mean "me personally") so that they can be part of the larger zeitgeist/conversation.

Not saying I agree with that guy but there's an argument to be made that if something is good despite not being true to the source, it's still good. Bendis ignores or actively shits upon the source while replacing it with his own garbage.

The idea of redemptive love from suffering between Scott and Barda is one I'm always there for, but that in and of itself doesn't really go with his Christ analogue - but it is hilarious to imagine Christ as a serial escape artist and hey I guess you *can* say that and I'm not really there for Scott being dark and broken in his heart-of-hearts but I agree the sketching of that has something more to it than the sketching of Orion.

I give Bendis shit for being a crappy writer and doing nothing good with anyone. Shit Bendis current Jessica Jones? Right from the first issue there was a fantastic route that could have gone down which just never fucking happened. But even if it had, the dialogue would still have been shit.

I think the attempts to construct a power differential simply as author has power so author must take any response silently/stoically/acquiescently, fan has no power so don't direct your authorial Eye of Sauron at them while they can say anything; it doesn't really work that way on the internets.

humor me?

I know that's how I should be treating this, but in this case, I simply find offense in someone like Millar finding any success, cause he doesn't deserve it. Because he's a piece of shit with the mentality of a psychotic teenager who doesn't have the balls to shoot up the mall, so instead he writes comic books.

He's like those people who made the game Hatred, but without any hint of satire. It'd be fine if he was simply taking the piss, but he's dead fuckin' serious about this shit. And THIS guy gets his own show? Fuck everything.

>It'd be fine if he was simply taking the piss, but he's dead fuckin' serious about this shit.

Kick-Ass is completely about taking the piss though.
It's not even pretending to be subtle about that.

>one of the worst New Gods books of all time
You just know this won't be the case but yes, he is most likely going to try to reinvent the characters and shit.

I don't know if I'd agree with that, we use the NOT MUH a lot to shit on the more reactionary types too.

Godwave

Read the interview you dummy, it's right there. Oh wait, you don't want spoilers, even though the interview doesn't spoil anything other than the book being shit.

It often comes down to overinvestment and the identifying of hobby as identity IMO. I mean that's basically what "nerd culture" is, the idea you can buy an identity of interests - and these days, largely from corporations.

And that isn't me trying to bitch about new people entering the hobbies or new directions or shit like that. I love this stuff because I genuinely enjoy it, I think it can be genuinely enjoyed and loved and I want other people to do that. But you gotta be aware of what your experience is vs. others, and vs. whatever company you're buying from.

How close to a circle is the YA and comics twitter disasters?

Hell yeah cant wait to again be the weirdo who likes a panned book!

It's just a meme thing to say. Gerards says it too and he said he only watched the first 2 or 3 seasons and doesn't really remember the names of the characters right.

O____O

Yeah, I find a lot of Millar unsuccessful, but he's pretty constant in taking the piss

Mitch Gerads being on art killed my interest, I didn't need an interview.

Millar isn't dead fucking serious about much.

Yeah, like Ultimate Avengers is almost a comedy book

It literally just means there might be some political stuff. I'm sure King probably used it in regards to Omega Men too.

I remember when the KA saga was coming out and people had somehow deluded themselves into thinking that HIt-Girl's ultra-conservative rhetoric is meant to be serious.

There was this j'accuse article the other day about Doug TenNapel and how comics was bad for not having ostracized him, and I thought 1) he's more of a games guy 2) did anyone who knew who he was at this point in time NOT know about his beliefs and how he's been isolated in large part due to them? But hey, anything to make a leap to another discussion about Eddie Berganza

Speaking of
>latest meme writer
I kind of found Donny Cates' God Country to be a little bland. It was a nice little story, but nothing really special to me. I liked the first issue of Redneck, but haven't read the others.
I wonder how his Loki-as-Sorcerer-Supreme will go.

More like the casual who outs himself as a casual for liking a shit book.

>doesn't spoil anything other than the book being shit.
That was already spoiled when King said he was talking to Mark fucking Waid about this.

That in itself ain't damning.
Evanier knew the man himself and he had some...iffy ideas.

so hey can we talk about Jeph Loeb getting defensive about Inhumans TV, that was pretty funny

We talked about it before IIRC but I always feel that all the overblown macho/military shit:

1) Millar wants to mock it
2) Millar also legitimately thinks it's the coolest shit

He's not the only writer either. Ennis has a fair bit of that but he's better at setting up the human stakes, even in complete absurdity.

Cates is seriously mediocre as fuck. I can't believe one quote from Bendis saying he's "the next big thing" is all it took to make him such a darling.

>he had some...iffy ideas.

His Mister Miracle one-shot was decent enough, it was absolutely carried by Steve Rude's art though. As for Evanier's New Gods...

All the talk about Inhumans being unwatchably bad is the first thing that's made me want to watch it.

Definitely.
It doesn't take long to realize that almost none of the leads are actually meant to be heroic either. More so psychopaths.

>His Mister Miracle one-shot was decent enough, it was absolutely carried by Steve Rude's art though
Spot on

How was Rachel Pollack's New Gods?

>all it took to make him such a darling.

No all it took was for him to come from writing " real books" to instantly give his work more worth to comics press than most of what's on the shelf.

See Brad Meltzer

Waid is
1. an idiot
2. a person that has never written the New Gods well
3. One of the people that kept pushing shit like retard angry manchild Orion
4. petty as fuck and might be giving him bad ideas to sabotage a DC comic

Also, Evanier is not a good writer and even talks about how Kirby would have a hard time remembering what he had in mind to plot the day before so it's was just a case of Evanier being near Kirby and hearing a million ideas.

It's totally Millar's kink but he has a certain amount of self-awareness about it being his kink. Second-order self-kinkshaming, if you will.

Hah, I get that. It's a bit like how in that YA article, people keep saying "These negative reviews going on about how it's the most harmful book ever make me want to read it."

Evanier killed off my obscure New Godsfu, the meanie.

I remember the webcomic woman behind The Meek and Mare Internum getting a lot of shit for working with Doug a few years ago.

Speaking of Inhumans, the preview for Priest's mini looks SO bad.

King is reminding me a lot of Azzarello in that he's pretty great at writing but tends to not really get the established characters he's writing for and in trying to take them in a "mature" direction totally misses the point.

I wonder if Loeb is aware of just how much of the good will he built up from his famous Batman work is now totally squandered

I can't totally hate Millar because he's done some good random fill-in issues, including a great Wonder Woman issue about Cassie.

Millar's Jay Garrick issue is still Top tier Flash.

When you put it like that...it explains a lot.

I love jetpack traffic cop

Millar's Black Flash story was such garbage though...

I thought it looked sick actually. Straight up engaging with the Alpha Primitives and weird genetic monarchy in the first pages. That's what I want from Inhumans.

>Inhumans TV
Speaking of shit that shouldn't have its own TV production... Seriously Marvel, stop trying to make the Inhumans the next big thing. So you don't have the film rights to the X-Men, boo boo, get over it. Aren't you supposed to be a comics company? Do even you not give a flying rat's ass about comic books anymore?

>Hickman "confirming" that Marvel doesn't publish F4 anymore because they can't make movies with them
>implying that wasn't blatantly obvious
Oh right, you really fucking don't.

Loeb's another face that can be added to the "sad Battfleck" image

That's the kinda thing I want to see in Metropolis. City of Tomorrow, just slightly more advanced than us kinda stuff.

I didn't even know this existed.

Dumb annoyance: I really dislike lettering when the bubbles don't have an outline like this

I'm sure it's to let the art breathe or something, but it just feels uncomfortable to me. Especially when it ends adjacent to panel border.

I like the spectacle of it, but yeah given how that's not the first time I've heard that then I guess it doesn't hold up for others.

The problem with King is that he's a spineless fuck. His work gradually became worse with time. Honestly, go back and read the first issues he scrips on Grayson, they're so good and then by the end he's full on meme joke mode. He listens to what others are saying instead of being fearless and doing his own thing. He wants to be a good boy(or "le nerd xD" as he likes to say) and please everyone.

It was nice to see someone actually just say it as opposed to Brevoort's ~if you'd all just bought it, well~ attempted fanshaming

If there's one constant about futures you'd consider living in, it's jetpacks.

Honestly it's just the thought that something might stand out. Sometimes a bad thing still has really interesting pieces to it.

4 pages in and there's already a stupid plot device to make Black Bolt speak. Also, a million fucking pointless retcons.

It's the difference between a quality SoP and a bland one, there's usually something remarkable about the quality that might have been good in other hands, nothing can fix the bland ones

I love the idea but the actual execution of the story is dogshit.

I wouldn't doubt that he might have been more heavily edited as his niche books suddenly started getting more popular, and then obviously when he's on Batman, their flagship book.

But it's pretty easy to say "editorial's behind it all!" so I won't posit that as fact.

That plot device is also being used as a way to tell you Black Bolt spent his entire childhood in a soundless isolation chamber though. And as a way to set up the primeval BB/Maximus conflict (where both are powerless, so neither is who they *truly* are).

I dunno I'm still pretty interested in it.

Point taken haha.

You know, I kept seeing that defense come up in regards to Unfunnies this year.

Unfunnies is part of the Unholy Trinity because it's sure memorable, as is the pure WTF that Marville goes into and the "how did this ever get okayed and those covers" of Trouble

I think it's self-adjustment more than editorial. Just the way he talks in interviews makes it seem like he's attempting to chase the normie audience when that's not really him. If he was ordered to do it he wouldn't own it like that. Though I don't know, he's CIA so he can probably fake whatever anyway.

Moore kind of sort of did it right with the Pogo characters in Swamp Thing, Morrison sort of kind of did it with Coyote Gospel, and I'm pretty sure Gaiman kort of sind of did it in Sandman at least one or two times.

But yeah my basic opinion of most of Millar's edgy works is that he's not serious about it like the above writers but he thinks it's the funniest shit every unironically, whereas to us Unfunnies is funny ironically.

True enough, I suppose. It's just so petty though.

Seriously, this is an industry where the publishers don't actually give a fuck about the primary product they deal in, and are more interested in using their brand names to sell completely different products. Marvel, at least, is turning into Konami for fucks sake!

It's deeply petty

Current Marvel is fascinating in that we all generally agree something ain't right there, but every angle on what's wrong is different

The anecdote about Millar's wife reading the Unfunnies is funnier than anything actually in the comic.

>my basic opinion of most of Millar's edgy works is that he's not serious about it like the above writers but he thinks it's the funniest shit every unironically

Yeah, I can see that for sure. He totally thinks that whatever he does is harrowing or upsetting, even if he's being exaggerated by it

"the crow was sucking cock for a reason" is in my pantheon of writer quotes

also hey what do we think of Cable

my main gripe is come on, make him white-haired not dirty blond-ish

He looks cool enough.
Someone mentioned that he should get more and more weapons out of nowhere...which yeah, should be.

I don't understand how this can be their mindset but their trade sales are so atrocious.

Like I'd almost think they're trying to gear moviefags toward buying floppies if not for the ridiculous price point, poor quality, and poor storytelling.

I just don't get Marvel.

I expect the movie itself to feature much more proper Cable-size guns