Where did it all go wrong?

Where did it all go wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VmMKiimujtk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Every character slowly became a douchebag whose only character trait was snark.

It got uncancelled.

I seriously think a lot of the edgy, drawn out, in your face BS that they started to do post-season 3 was a direct result of the hype surrounding the show being popular enough on DVD and in reruns for it to end up being given another shot at life. It gave the writers this sense of smug self-satisfaction that they were God's gift to TV and that the network was retarded for kicking them to the curb in the first place, hence they should be able to do whatever they damn well please because CLEARLY they know what the fans want, and so all the swearing, gore, vomit, sex etc. got cranked way the fuck up and the FOX censors eventually stopped trying to fight against it so much because at the time they were still pulling in decent numbers.

Now the show's not doing anywhere near as well as it was ratings wise several years prior but that can be said of most of FOX's animated line-up, so while it's not sunk low enough to have the plug pulled again, it's also gone far enough in it's shock value level humor that the fans are numb to it, FOX censors are well past the point of caring because of all the other shit they've gotten away with in the past, and the FG writers are just trying to be as thoroughly unpleasant as they can be when they're not sitting around operating on auto-pilot.

season 6 onwards happened

rewatching s1-3 now

so good

turn into such fucking trash

season 1 episode 1

>Listen Brian, I'd take a bullet for Meg so the least I could do is-- Oh, there he is.

>Damn it, Lois! We've been over this! If we can only save two we leave Meg!

Hard to believe it's supposed to be the same character that said these contradictory quotes.

facts

Season 3 they knew they were getting cancelled so they started to push the envelope a bit more.

Stewie saying "I don't have to fucking impress you." and letting the network censor it instead of doing it themselves like they had in the past.

Introducing the nudist family down the street. Which strangely haven't been seen since Season 3. You'd think they'd be using them more knowing what they can get away with.

But yeah, DVD sales enticed FOX to bring them back and now FOX is too afraid to cancel them again, no matter how much they want to end it.

I will say that it's thanks to the revival that we eventually got the much superior American Dad.

Season 4

I've always heard people say seasons 4-5 are "the best" and I just don't understand that. When I first saw season 4, I noticed the more douchey style of humor (if that makes any sense), the references becoming more forced, more unnecessary gore (the "Where's my money" scene), and the overly long dialogues and stuttering used for comedic purposes (caveman scene), which would become a staple of the seasons afterward.

Also season 4 was when Stewie became gay and happy. I mean he was still kinda angry and cynical but noticeably less so.

For me, 4-5 is when it's still watchable and there is some good stuff (PTV, Blind Ambitions and a cojple of others), but 1-3 are the best.

Season 4 started the "gratuitous flashback" that South Park criticized them for. Season 3 had a few flashbacks like this but in 4 it was a constant thing.

They would CONSTANTLY pull away from the plot just to tell some lame pop culture joke like "oh I'm more mad than when I watched the OJ verdict with my old roommate" or "this is worse than when I met Collin Ferrel on the street"

It was never good.

This, and also that the majority of the crew that worked on the show before cancellation didn't come back, they moved on to other things. It was a different crew running the show and the quality reflected that.

Seth did everything in his power to make it as shit as possible but FOX keeps renewing him.

extreme Flanderization of every single character, it was like a literal apocalypse of Flanderization with meteors made of cutaway gags raining from the sky.

The show's better than it's ever been. I'll never understand why Sup Forums hates this while loving shit like King of the Hill or American Dad. Maybe it's too left wing for you lot?

That's wrong though. The characters are far more three dimensional than they were when the show started.
Go watch season 1 and try and argue every character isn't made up of only 1 personality trait.

Meg was quite boring in the first three seasons and most fans hated her, mostly male fans who didn't want to hear about whiny teen girl drama. They turned her into a punching-bag to satisfy these fans who didn't like her.

I'll give you Brian being a liberal pseudo-intellectual douche instead of a simple talking dog who drinks, but none of the other family.

Peter is retarded and does retarded things
Lois barely has any character
Meg is a punching bag
Chris is /r9k/
Stewie is gay and says gay shit

Characters changed for starters.
Peter is full retard and doesn't care what he does.
Lois is a slut.
Meg is more or less the same but instead of the occasional whipping, she's being whipped every episode.
Chris is about the only character that hasn't changed.
Brian always was an obnoxious liberal but more obnoxious about it.
Stewie had a subtle hints to being gay in a few episodes and was bent on killing Lois, now he's just gay.

Family Guy was a show most people didn't think was funny, I hate to sound like a "I liked it when it was good" hipster, but it's true. Also, nobody cared for Family Guy until it aired on Adult Swim, suddenly everyone thought it was hilarious.

Season 4 to present still has good episodes, but the show isn't as witty as it used to be.

Stop, everyone was a lot more in depth when the show started. When was the last time Peter was an actual family guy and not just a goofy idiot who got drunk and did something short sighted and stupid? It just doesn't happen that much anymore. When was the last time they went to church on the show, or did anything as a family? The show stopped being about the family and became "Wacky Edgy Simpsons: Haha, I Can't Believe It's On FOX!" and then it stopped being funny, and now it's a fish out of water.

isn't american dad more left wing than FG?

For the first few seasons, when it was supposed to be "All in the Family for the George W. Bush era", yes.

Afterwards, when it became a more generalized, character-based family sitcom, no.

When they made fun of GOD.

>They turned her into a punching-bag to satisfy these fans who didn't like her.

That's... not even close. The writers talk about this on the season 4 DVD commentary. They straight up say that they turned Meg into a punching bag because they didn't know how to write her and couldn't be bothered to try.

>I watched the season 4 DVD commentary for family Guy and will argue specific details I've memorized about it anonymously on Sup Forums

Thanks for that information. Want to hear what a vagina is like?

ill tell you where it all went wrong (calls writing staff) seth mc ass chaps thats what happened

FOX would have revived Family Guy without Seth MacFarlane.

And it would have sucked way harder.

>Want to hear what a vagina is like?
Actually yes, I do. Not even joking.

Man, go fuck yourself. Do you even know where you are, faggot? Sup Forums, a place where people will argue about cartoons and comics because they know what they're talking about. If you want to act like a little bitch because you don't know shit about shit, I would suggest you go elsewhere.

after season 2

Season 3 was still pretty good

>Also, nobody cared for Family Guy until it aired on Adult Swim, suddenly everyone thought it was hilarious.
There's actually a third layer to this. There were the people who watched it on Fox, the people who watched it on Adult Swim and the people who got into it around 2007. That's when the shit really started stinking. You could add a fourth layer with people today. The animation is streamlined, too.
youtube.com/watch?v=VmMKiimujtk
This is probably the last instance of fluid animation or respectable animation from the 'old' format.

Seth McFarlane missed his plane on 9/11

See

Season 4 is where it all goes downhill. It's SUPER noticeable. I enjoy the whole show but the change in ''attitude'' is clear.