Hey, Sup Forums

Hey, Sup Forums
normie here.
I just watched the Doctor Strange movie with my bf and I thought it was interesting.
I kind of want to read some of the comics, so I am wondering what you would consider the "best run" or where you would suggest starting.

Lee and Ditko's Strange Tales.
Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange: Triumph & Torment
BKV's The Oath maybe, it's quite movie-like.

>implying Sup Forums reads comics
Pffft! First off, recs are for chumps, do your own research. Second, Sup Forums is a terrible place to look for recs and discussion because nobody here reads comics either.

Yes, comic books are such a dead medium that even comics communities don't give a shit about comics.

Check out Gruenwald and Englehart's runs. The height of 70's/80's acid trip Strange.

Who shit in your bed?

The easiest way to familiarize yourself with the character is the one that modernized his origin, The Oath.
This is good stuff

Avoid Aaron's run, it's the most recent and it's terrible.

The one with all the sorcerer supremes and Merlin fuckery? What don't you like about it?

I just read what they have up on Unlimited last night and thought it was decent.

This man's right.

That's the side-book, Aaron's the main one. The former's decent enough given the context, the latter is abominable.

Wow lad you are trying to hard.

Oh, what's happening in the main book? I never know what I'm reading on MU when it comes to the last two years since there's a million #1s for everything.

Fedora Tipers from an alien planet started a science(!) jihad to rid the universe of magic, because Gods are evil and cruel and yadda yadda yadda. So now Magic's gone and Strange runs around with axes and shotguns. Aaron also made a huge retcon about Strange not being able to eat normal food due to "magic has a cost". And magic hurts him physically each time he uses it. So he poured that pain into... something, and it created a pain-creature.

TL;DR: Magic's stupid and hurts, have Strange make Star Wars references and swing axes.

It sounds like he wants to turn Strange into an upbeat Constantine or something.

It's basically what he did with God-Butcher but with Strange.

Oh well, at least we can be sure that ten minutes after his run is done we'll get some story where Eternity slaps all that magic back into Strange or something. You and I will just have to wait it out, Satan.

I kind of enjoy his de facto 'magic consultant' shtick in Sorcerers Supreme though.

Doctor Strange and the sorcerers supreme isn't written by Aaron.

Aaron's the guy who made Femthor, right?

It's just Aaron and his hate of anything magical/spiritual. The whole subtext of his Strange run is that magic is fucking awful. Having Strange puke and either piss or shit himself every time he ate a burger read like bad fan-fic.

Aaron really like to recycle that 'someone is killing off all of the x' story, he did it with Ghost Rider, Thor, and Doctor Strange.

Yep.

He's done it in several different books now. Extreme fedora tipping.

It's basically the only thing he knows how to write. You can accuse say, Hickman of overplaying "muh vague monologues", but at least he tries something different each time. Satanic Banking Cartel, End of Times, Doom Wankery, Ancient Ayylmaos: Shield Edition, Marvel Universe: Sandbox Exition, etc, etc. Aaron's a one-trick Fedora Tipper.

Friendly reminder that Hickman did a book wherein the Catholic Church sends a spec ops team back in time to stop the Roman Empire from falling

Pax Romana, right?

Think so. It was a four part mini out of Image iirc.

The only good thing to come from Arron's run is the introduction of new magicians, everything else was terrible.

That sounds rad. Is it any good?

It's decent. It's weird though, I don't think I could really call it a comic, more of a really visual book. There's not a lot of solid panels, for example. Maybe the most literal example of the term 'graphic novel'. I don't really know how to explain it.

off yourself faggot.

They were cool, but he could've made better choices.

Really my only issue with it is that they only have one splash page describing how their modern tech BTFOs Roman legions instead of at least a nice action scene or something.

kinda like the recent batman arc.

That's sums up Aaron's writing pretty well, cool but he could've made better choices.

What happens there?

all tell-y now show-y. all speakie no dooie.

Has there ever been another character whose power level fluctuates so much?

I dunno, Superman?

The more powerful they are the more they're made to job to lame threats.

Imagine being this much of a dick.

Like, he hates comics, but still comes on a comic board to bitch.
He thinks discussion on said comic board is stifled because everybody has shit opinions, but blasts his own.

I'm genuinely depressed at the fucking venom that is in every sad little idiot I meet every day. I'm so sad.

My favourite part of Aaron's run was when it retconned Marvel Magic to have DC Magic's "everything has a price" rule.

So he made it so magic physically hurt Strange, and in turn Wong started a Himalayan concentration camp where rows of monks are bound in sigils and chains so that every time Strange casts a spell, it wears them away rather than him. Dude has had a thousand backup Dorian Grays suffering in a monastary through his entire history. All those magical adventures were made possible by a ritualistic sweatshop.

With the added implication that every sorcerer supreme throughout history has been inflicting this kind of suffering on untold numbers of people.

How many people got fucked up for strange to repel Dormammu, or Shuma?

I honestly hope that Cates retcons that shit in his upcoming run, he's already bringing back the cloak of levitation and eye of Agamotto.

Same here. It was a needless retcon. If he wanted to do a "magic has a price" story, there were much better ways to do it. Strange shitting himself when eating salmon wasn't one of them.

>my bf

you know the rules, lady

A cost that no other practitioner of the mystic arts deals with in their own books, nor one that any other writer has even acknowledged in any way shape or form.

This one is basically magic Dr Who with a lady POV character.

He could be a guy

Dangit.

Honestly I didn't even consider otherwise.