Is Black Manta the best villain ever who doesn't have a motive?

Is Black Manta the best villain ever who doesn't have a motive?

But user, he does have a motive

He hates Aquaman

Kaldur was made gay?

That's Jackson Hyde

It's strange, I didn't really like Jackson's introduction pre flashpoint and I like Kal far more.

Kal is a boring bitchboi

Aquaman killed his dad.

That's always been dumb. Manta's best when he's just an obsessive dick.

>I'm gay, that means you're going to start sympathizing with me now, right?
>Fuck you.
Love that Manta.

He's based on YJ's Kaldur.

Who was based off of Jackson

It's not too bad. Even with the dead dad, Manta's obsession with Aquaman is far from reasonable. It just makes the appeal harder to explain. "Aquaman killed his dad" isn't as compelling an explanation as "nobody knows for sure, he's just that autistically evil".

I think we need more villains that just do things out of hate. It's simple and straight forward with no dramatic bullshit.

True, but at the same time, the ambiguity of his hatred can make his character more appealing, sort of like why The Monarchs unyielding hatred for Rusty Venture is so funny because we literally never learn the reason (despite the show presenting PLENTY of chances to do so).

It's like what Spielberg said about Jaws: The audience will attach most to the concepts they DON'T see.

His motive is the gambler's fallacy.

He's already spent so much time and effort trying to get revenge on Aquaman that he thinks all of it would go to waste unless he finally kills him.

He started just wanting vengeance for his dad, but he kept having his plans foiled too many times and now he's at maximum pissed-off level.

Manta vs Road Runner
Next summer

and they made him look like kaldur because???

S Y N E R G Y
Y
N
E
R
G
Y

because kaldur has a better design.

I thought they were the same character basically?

I can't believe we got a gay fish.

Kaldur is less human.
Jackson is more like Aquaman, he was raised human.

Except now he's fucked himself coming and going. He wants nothing more than to kill Aquaman, but if he kills Aquaman then he'll have nothing.

one grew up on land, the other grew up in Atlantis

I like how Manta actually took Aquaman's advice a tried to ruin his work and then basically kill him by suicide bombing. Hell, the current story kind of started because Manta's shenanigans.

Okay so almost the same character.
But yeah: Synergy!

No. Kaldur was created first and Johns liked him enough to adapt him for the comics. Comics have a shorter development period than cartoons, so comic book Aqualad beat the YJ one to the punch.

That's sunk cost fallacy. Gambler fallacy is thinking that going a length of time without a particular outcome will increase the chances of it happening.

Something that people usually leave out when mentioning the dead dad explanation is that Manta's dad was part of Manta's crew and that Manta had already killed Aquaman's dad. The full circumstances add a huge layer of self-importance to the motivation.

See.