Rick and Morty thoughts

So what do you think about Rick and Morty season 3 so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KnmQdHSRQ1U
youtube.com/watch?v=-zw_E4qwuNs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

its pretty reddit

I like it

We are only 3 episodes in. I like it so far

Its great and I even enjoy the contrarian tears

I think it's three parts Reddit, 50% Tumblr, maybe a 3/5ths Sup Forums, with a dash of DeviantArt in there. Overall, it rounds out to about a pretty LiveJournal of a cartoon.

My family and I watch it and think it's great

What are the actual criticisms? I hear a lot of tumblr, sjw ect but I don't ever actually get explanations of why

like are there specific scenes or speeches or whatever? help me out here

ts becoming community,sitcom style horseshit

Enjoying it, and you faggots are blowing everything out of proportion.

people are complaining its focusing too much on the family drama rather then sci-fi shit

Episode 1 was obviously really great, just about the height of what Rick & Morty is.

Episode 2 was fairly sub-par, too much going on, the elements didn't connect to each other well enough.

Episode 3 was back on par, with a mindless but enjoyable action plot, and a dull slow build therapy subplot that managed to pull off its payoff. Although nothing extraordinary and the most memorable thing will be the dumb pickle meme.

do you watch it with your wife's sons?

This.
It's delving farther into "family and marital problems" with the occasional sci fi adventure

seriously Dan Harmon is overdoing it with the divorce shtick. It's getting old

I can get that, I guess maybe I just saw overreactions or memey complaints about sjws and took it to be literal

I understand the gripes that the show feels different with the divorce stuff having a visible effect on the family dynamic in episodes 2 and 3.

Still, I am interested in seeing more of Rick's dynamic with Beth playing out, now that Jerry isn't always there as the weak, but consistently opposing voice to Rick's escapades.

This latest season hiatus really stocked up on the annoying shit the fandom has to spam, like "muh female writers" and "muh reddit" or whatever.

To much family drama
To much of Dan Harmons divorce bitterness is making it's way into the show.
there's no way all the writers sit in a room write the same Beth and Jerry hate each other subplot every fucking episode over and over.

They should have made the first episode a 2 or 3 parter and they need to tone down the family drama. Other than that I've been enjoying it. Worse than the last season though I would say.

It's seem to be focusing more on the drama and have toned back the humor immensely.I can see why people wouldn't like that since so many cartoons as of late have been ruined because of writers inability to construct a well paced and satisfying central plot, Samurai Jack being the final nail in the coffin for many.

I think nobody can truly tell whether or not this season will be good until years later where other seasons are made and we get to see the aftermath this is all supposedly leading up to. Maybe it'll be seen as a great beginning to a deeper plot or maybe it'll be seen as the first warning signs of the show's downfall. It's all too soon to tell.

to be honest i`m kinda sick of rick and morty,is like when you eat too much ice cream or something

I enjoyed the last season of samurai jack

I dont understand this and it makes me angry.

Idk universe is larger then the smith family and is the reason we started watching it in the first place

It's the same hijinks I signed up for and I'm having fun with the new episodes.

I'm mostly disappointed that a loud minority of Sup Forums seems to really dislike it.

But the point is a lot of people didn't and this caused wide spread disillusionment in the board.
It was okay, but Genndy threw in way to much shit which the show didn't have enough time to develop.

>But the point is a lot of people didn't
Only contrarians.

What about your wife´s son?

I liked the first two episodes but I'm getting tired of the action scenes. Third episode had like two attempts at jokes and just relied on gorey action that got old.

I think its the later, and i wasnt crazy for samurai Jack but it gave me what i needed

South Park had the decency to wait until season 20 before ruining the show with season long story arcs, Rick and (((Morty))) shit the bed at season 3.

Episodic for life!

You sound like a Dropbox user, maybe you should go back.

Not really, even I have to admit the pacing was absolute garbage and Genndy tried to juggle way to many things in the air which were ultimately half-assed despite as a whole enjoying it for what it was.

Rick and Morty might be contrarianism since for every 1 genuinely well thought out criticism you get 5 people typing "REDDIT AND MEMEY" whilst simultaneously posting reddit threads and making their own memes.

So you concluded Rick character ark with a monologue from a one time character in the the middle of the thrid season. Congratulations now you just have to drag until the season end and cancel the show. I hope Harmon gets his dick wet at least.

>S3E1
One of the best in the series, incredible episode

>S3E2
Below average episode, still not bad though

>S3E3
An excellent episode with an excellent concept.

1: 6/10
2: 8/10
3: 7.5/10
It's a good start. No improv bs so far.

>Listing episode 2 as the best
What'd you like about it user?

user I think I love you

First episode was kind of masturbatory. But it's getting back into a groove.

Episode 1 was great, Episode 2 was mediocre, and Episode 3 was a lot better than expected and not worth the thousands of copies of war and peace written arguing over it.

Episode 1: Awesome, though the reveal of Rick's motivations for being sent to the prison undermine his character development and the emotional value of the season 2 finale.
Episode 2: Alright. Got some laughs out of it, but definitely somewhat lackluster compared to the craziness of the premiere. Interesting Summer character development.
Episode 3: Not as good as 1, but better than 2. Awesome action scenes. I know some people objected to the therapy, but I think they handled it decently, even if the Pickle Rick scenes were the highlight.

Overall, too soon to judge.

It had a real scifi concept and not just a "Isn't Rick the best of everything in the multiverse". That's something hambeasts who like Dr Who or Sherlock might enjoy.
Also it was funnier than the other two.

I like it so far, ep 1 was the best

>It had a real scifi concept
I have to completely disagree with you there. It was just a beat by beat Mad Max parody and easily one of their more lazily thought out episodes because of it.

Hell if you love the sci-fi aspect, Pickle Rick is far better because you get to see the evolution of Rick transforming himself and using scrounged up items to make cool new weapons and limbs.

It's pretty much fine.

That part in episode 303 where Pickle-Rick just made mouth-noises for 10-minutes wasn't funny though. That's about the only complaint I have.

Episode 1 was one of the best episodes in the entire series so far.
Episode 2 was mediocre, but still enjoyable.
Episode 3 was surprisingly well done, especially in the animation department.
Overall:
>S3E1: 10/10
>S3E2: 6/10
>S3E3: 8/10

I'm really liking emotionally detached asshole Beth so far. She didn't really have much personality in the 1st two seasons and I'm glad they're giving her something to do other than typical naggy sitcom housewife. And I think it's funny and also very logical that she's becoming more like her father.

Sup Forums doesn't seem to like it but I'm really interested in seeing how this plays out. Maybe she joins Rick on a few adventures without the kids.

This was the best scene so far.

I AM ALIIIIIIIIVE... Hello.

>This thread has anons reasonably discussing both their praises and criticisms instead of everyone just screaming GO BACK TO TUMBLR/REDDIT/POL/
I don't know what did it but it makes me happy.

Robot morty gaining sentience isn't sci-fi enough.

I felt like the episode would have been better is this was the B plot instead of the armothy plot

Someone in some thread described it best, so let me paraphrase:

>after all these fucking threads, I'm starting to notice a common theme. It's kind of interesting. People who watch Rick and a morty all come here for different reasons. Some come for the dumb stupid humor while others come for the dark humor. Some come for Rick being an abusive asshole, some come for Morty who is unsure and compassionate. So come for the crushing extential dread, others come for moments of happiness and clarity.

>some come for the shows character development and overal story, other are obsessed with every small detail and reference and how it all fits togeather.

>the point is, everyone likes something different about R&M, and for whatever reason, season 3 fails to hold up to a lot, if not all of these fronts. It's still there but it isn't as good and that's why you have such a wide variety of why people are upset and why everyone blames different people.
>personally I think it's the shift towards the family drama and the on the nose writing.
>but despite all of it, at least we can all agree Beth is terrible.

I honestly think he was right, everyone loves R&M for different reasons and its failing to deliver on all fronts. And that's why people aren't liking it anymore.

That being said, we have to wait and see until the seasons finished before comparing it to the rest.

I can't believe it either
could it be that all the pickleposting made it so those people got all their shitposting out of their system so now when there's a rick and morty thread they're either too tired to shit in it or they just don't feel the need to do it anymore?
alternatively, the majority of them saw the pickle rick episode expecting shit and ended up liking it
which one is it? or if you have other theories I wanna hear them

youtu.be/KnmQdHSRQ1U

I can't get the fucking remix out of my head. It's not even that great, but I'll be damned if it isn't catchy.

Also:
>I feel like Robot Morty was the closest to old R&M we've gotten so far...

I really enjoyed the first episode. Two and three less so, never care for the movie parodies and the lack of real jokes last episode did nothing for me. I'm predicting I'll be indifferent to episode four since it's another movie parody. I'm still cautiously optimistic that the season will turn around

I think this is fair thing to say,feels like Dan is losing his magic touch

It's just sort of meh, not really good nor bad, I actually liked the s2 finale (I'm not a big fan of the show, I give it a 6/10 for the most part), was hoping they'd do more with it but everything just sort of fell flat, like for instance at the end of s2 Rick made sure that Jerry got credit for turning in Rick (which surely would've only helped Jerry get employment and recognition by the govt.) when he easily could've said it was anyone else while still mentioning to let the family go (they didn't know that Rick turned himself in at the end of s2/s3e1) so why give it to Jerry and then decide to fuck him over in the span of a few days? Maybe to spite Jerry for the speech he gave but that was what prompted him to leave and even if that wasn't the reason there would still be little reason to give Jerry any credit. If it was so that Jerry could feel more happiness before having it torn down it might have not made a huge difference considering he would've gotten a job anyways and it's likely Jerry couldn't tell the difference between the federation liking him and not caring. If it was to help the family surely Rick doesn't think Jerry would actually be capable of doing something like that even with more money, they'd still be pretty miserable, especially Beth who he has indoctrinated into being dependent on him (as morty point out himself). Also his plan to escape and overthrow the govt/council of ricks doesn't make sense, surely with infinite universe there has to be a rick who has been caught trying to do the same shit and has been foiled, there should also be a universe where someone else invented inter-dimensional travel who would be pro galactic federation (that's just how infinity works, side note I hate this insurmountable gap they've made between Rick and everybody else in EVERY universe, one would've been fine but them all?). What about the council or Ricks? With an infinite number of Ricks they should've seen him planning this and acted accordingly.

Well I see a couple more baitposting RandM threads right now, so I'm not sure if it's a "get it out of our system" thing. Perhaps it's that this one doesn't immediately start with something divisive?

Episode 1 was fantastic of course, one of the best episodes of the series.

Episode 2 was fine, which for Rick and Marty is not up to snuff, but it's not the worse episode of the series. Although it might make the top 5 worst so far.

Episode 3 was good, not great, but if you're expecting great every single episode you're going to be severely dissapointed constantly. Plenty of idiots are hating on it because it was a more action heavy episode and that makes several episodes dating back to,last season where comedy took the backseat.

I think if they just whipped out a comedy heavy episode a lot of the criticism would disappear.

That feel of dread isnt there anymore sadly, but yes i agree it was a return to the form,hoping for more of that kinda stuff

I think Dan has just sort of given up. I can't find them but in previuse interviews he has said that working on Rick and Morty made him realize he doesn't "have to work as hard" to get people's approval. This was right after the Purge episode and said that episode got tons of positive reviews and took far less effort then a Rickle in Time which took far more time and effort.

So expect more parody episodes.

and to think that the purge episode is my favorite of the whole show
I liked seeing Morty all fucked up and Rick being the voice of reason for once, the dance number & song were fun, and I love me some light cartoon gore done well, it just hit all the right spots for me

They are just not taking it seriously anymore and it shows,i think they went with this nonsensical road is that they wanna make another 10 seasons and are waiting for that kinda big character arcs for latter thus wasting everyone's time with stupid filler

Going purely by number/frequency of laughs:

S3E1 - I found it funny, however reddit and normies ruined a lot of the jokes (The szechuan sauce joke got a laugh out of me at the time, but the amount of obsessing over it on facebook and reddit more than ruined it)
Best Joke:
>"aaaaaaand THAT'S how I escaped space prison!"

S3E2 - Terrible episode, easily the most unfunny episode to date. As many many others have said before me on this board, the setting was the worst. They thought a 'ebic crazy zany setting XD" would suffice for sci-fi humour. Family drama isn't that funny (at least without Jerry)
Best Joke:
>Robot morty and robot summers

S3E3 - Much better than E2, not as good as E1. Had a bad habit of reusing jokes that weren't funny the first time (the shit eating joke was a little bit funny the first time, but every time they brought it up again just came off as cringy)
Best Joke:
>pickle rick killing the cockroach and tonguing its brain

Yay more parody! pickle rick was the best,just kill it already

I feel like S3 has just gone to far off base and that's why its failing so badly.

I mean S1 was all about the adventures of R&M, and how it affected everyone else. Like R&M themselves had an adventure, caused something and then the family would be affected by it. Largely this is how S1 worked.

Then S2 had more R&M adventures, but also had a Ton of personal Adventures for the family as well. Things like Beth and Jerry dealing with relationship problems, or Jerry trying to break free of Jerry Daycare. So now everyone grew from their own stories as well as R&Ms. It basically doubled the adventures in this season.

Then S3 just doesn't do that. The first episode pretty much lacks the classic R&M Teamup and instead Rick-Panders to show how he can get out of anything. Sure episode 2 was closer to the original adventures, but it left a bad taste in our mouths.
I think people like and Feel like robot Morty was great is because it was the closest to a side/personal adventure we had from S2.

Then in episode 3 we get a forced new "Tiny Rick!" Meme and more Rick-Pandering with almost no Morty that episode. And in the end the adventure doesn't really cause change, it's an outside force that causes it, the therapist. Which is nothin like the prior seasons. And then to spit in the face to some, the last scene of the episode had the piano guy, which would have been a cool episode/adventure on its own, be just a small thing created for Jaguar. It shows which direction the show has gone.

I think if the next couple episodes come back to base with the first 2 seasons, Sup Forums will calm down a bit and everyone will be happy.

But I'm also afraid that it won't happen.

It's only a matter of time before they start doing political shit.
They could run this show into the ground and I would probably still watch it, but the minute they start doing political parodies I'm walking.

To be fair Dan is an egotistical man but one that listen to the tides of the wind. When Interdimension Cable 2 failed he and Justin said it's unlikely they'll make a third and judging by the episode list it may be the case. When people complained they don't like Beth and Jerry's marriage going nowhere (one of the most common complaints of season 2), we now have them divorced.

If enough people criticize him for this he may be willing to change things up more.

While I kind of agree that I don't want the show to delve too much into politics because I think that's a bad decision and low-hanging fruit, I'm mostly against it because of how Sup Forums will react. Four threads on a one off Trump joke, minimum. All will go on for hundreds of replies. It will be awful.

>And then to spit in the face to some, the last scene of the episode had the piano guy, which would have been a cool episode/adventure on its own, be just a small thing created for Jaguar
yeah fuck that really disappointed me at the time, I miss the episodes centered around the two of them specifically because their cool dinamic is why I wat h the cartoon in the first place, well that and because I really like morty and sci-fi in general
it feels like morty in particular isn't getting enough screen time

The season 2 finale was just wasted potential, if they wanted to push the feeling of nihilism onto the audience by showing how a big character moment can be completely reduced to nothing and the status quo will ultimately return you back to square one then they could've done it in a FAR better way (though I'd prefer they supplement that by addressing the MANY counter arguments to that assertion instead of going for the most base claims and either not even doing it well or using a blatant straw man. If this is supposed to irony they could let us in on it a bit better by ONE character without a nihilistic viewpoint have a stable life in some way). One way off the top of my head that could've worked is having a character go from a normal life (normal by our standards, not that of rick and morty) and view the galactic federation takeover, ultimate collapse, and then the return of earth to 'normal'. Even with a life changing event the person hasn't moved forward, stopped by nothing but their own mediocrity/lack of desire/cowardice, kinda similar to how most people don't pursue any sort of goal to any large extent instead giving up relatively easy or deciding to not even try because they'd rather not risk their future (rick's 'life is about risks' speech might've actually carried some more weight then since it'd confront the viewers themselves instead of Jerry whom they can all push their insecurities onto and mock as rick does. Hell this idea is flat out rejected by showing that Beth and Jerry would've ended up unhappy by striving for success and not getting married to someone they clearly don't love). Something like that might've actually prompted some introspection and nihilism into the viewer by demonstrating how they live day to day without ever being more than they allow themselves to be, leaving them empty and feeling as though nothing really matters, since hell, they aren't really doing anything.

Cant have more then one male character being badass, thats why we got that shit with summer in ep2

I feel like the backlash is mostly echo chamber
it doesnt feel as fun but I don't think they wanted it to
it's pretty well the same show so I still enjoy it

I fucking hate both summer and beth tbqh, though summer is undeniably worse
beth would be an acceptable character if we got to see how her behavior impacts those around her, but we rarely if ever do

I think we had something special here,but if they wanna make cartoon for kiddies thats fine too i guess

Ep 1 and 3 are good. Ep 2 fell a little flat.

this shit spends episodes preaching to the trouble child stoner crowd

8.5/10
shit
8/10 minus the therapist parts

Clever, but kind of lacking in humor. Which was kind of the whole point.

But RnM has always been pretty hit-or-miss.

I remember reading somewhere that Usenet users (remember that) heavily criticized the Simpsons after season 1, saying that the first season was the best, and the show was getting progressively worse each season. This went on until season 7 or 8.

Not saying the same will be true of this show, but opinions can change over time.

maybe one day my opinion that the simpsons still had gems in it up until season 18 will become the norm,
I hope so

They missed a prime opportunity to actually teach there audience a valuable lesson, either make piece with your place and live life comfortably knowing where you stand or pursue what you care about despite the risks you might face and be satisfied at the end that even if you didn't make it, you at least dared try. The saddest part about all of this is that I felt they actually tried bringing up interesting ideas but decided to drop them all together, I've seen videos explaining the 'meaning' behind RM episodes and always felt they were completely lacking as RM never actually proves any of it's points, it just presents straw men and then claims victory.
youtube.com/watch?v=-zw_E4qwuNs
(Side note, I hate when rick sense 'scientifically speaking' since it's usually completely inaccurate and at first I thought this was supposed to be a joke but it keeps coming up and is taken seriously). So the idea of the episode is that modern convenience strips our lives of meaning huh? Care to actually demonstrate that with something the viewer can relate to or that's relevant to the real world? Maybe how college gives the illusion that you actually are choosing something you are passionate about until you realize you're likely going to be working at a desk job, maybe that modern convenience serves as an anesthetic to lack of self actualization, or something more than just 'apocalypse means humans become murderous animals' or that somehow any of this only applies to now, the vast majority of people throughout history didn't even have the possibility of achieving higher goals, completely limited to what was in front of them, but now that barrier is completely broken, replaced instead with the artificial one constructed by doubt and maintained by luxuries. However in the apocalypse one loses even the ability to dream as they no longer exist in any recognizable form if at all. Agency? There is none, only survival.

When I first started playing WoW seriously during WotLK, a lot of older players wouldn't shut up about how terrible dumbed down baby shit it was compared to previous expansions. Nowadays it's a sacred cow. Not saying that the current opinions will OBVIOUSLY be shown to be false with time, just that it's best to wait a bit before you can say there's a true "consensus".

I think they did try to make it relevant with the whole tv thing but it just wasnt enough for me.

This image gives me an idea.

What if they get to the final episode of the season, and Rick wakes up in the restaurant.

He never left the Shoney's.

>but it just wasnt enough for me
Same here, I'd like at least some exploration of these ideas beyond surface level observations/criticisms. I guess they don't need to do this, but then I'd like them to get off their high horse acting as though what they are saying carries any weight, is intellectually challenging/nuanced, or at all reflects reality in presenting truths, instead of what it really is, comedy with a mere smidgen of ideas worth thinking about, but not for to long.

Episode 1 and 2 were subpar, episode 3 was a pile of shit.

yea how many times is rick going to reference multiple timelines and infinite grandkids, do i need to come over there and write an episode? animation and jokes are great though, come on guy its still funnier than most shows

I just want Rick and Morty to do stuff again, it feels like they haven't gone on an adventure since the moonmen episode.

Episode one was great.
Episode 2 started out SHINY AND CHROME, but tailored off once Rick gave the savages modern living. I know that was the joke, but I didn't care for it.
Episode three just didn't have my attention, besides the scene with the roach and rat factory.

Too bad, it's the Rick and Summer and Beth show now with Morty occasionally doing something

right the adventure has to actually go places and evolve, hell they don't even have to have it all in one episode throw us an arc already its the fourth episode, we need a fucking arc

Does the next episode look like it will satisfy you? It's focused on Rick and Morty themselves. Sure there's the superhero parodies, but I'm pretty sure they'll all be dead by the end, maybe earlier.

Who's this "we"? The intergalactic escapades are one half of the reason, sure, but the other half is definitely how broken and dysfunctional Rick and, by extension, his family are.

my dumbass friend was worried about rick and morty not getting popular because it was too smart for people, but my concern of it getting too popular and riddled full of feminism seems to be more accurate, just like the ruined the dark tower series with a fucking nigger roland

So far every episode is better than the worst of season 2. I'm cautiously optimistic for the rest of it.

to me the highlight of episode two, along with robotmorty and mortyarm, was discovering that Rick isn't into cannibalism, that was really interesting for some reason
I like discovering what limits the most fucked up man in the universe could have

I think the season's biggest problem so far is putting Pickle Rick right after the apocalypse episode. Having an episode or two completely removed from the divorce plot would have helped the pacing.

i mean he tried it, he just didnt like it

maybe if you cook the meat right its fine

100% agree with this statement and suggest they have some sort of arc with pheonix person or some shit to mix things up

Relevant