Millarworld acquired by Netflix

>Millarworld acquired by Netflix
>Kingsman sequel coming
>Officer Downe from Casey and Burnham last year
>Moore's work keeps getting adapted and readapted on an annual basis
>Moore is an indie director now to boot
>Gaiman, Ellis, Ennis all have sweet $$$ deals
I'm still relevant right guys? Hy-hypercrisis eh..?

the JUST hair makes me laugh every time

now if Milligan and Lapham get things picked up, all of his more talented peers will officially be more successful than him

Happy is getting adapted

>the only thing he could sell is a shitty Ennis parody
They probably got it because they wanted to cash in on Preacher and mixed the names

His work is just so uniquely well-suited to the comics medium that much of what makes it charming and interesting would be extremely difficult to adapt to other mediums. It detracts nothing from its quality, but sadly does mean that the potential profits he can accrue from it aren't what some of these other ceators can hope for.

This said, if he would just hurry the fuck up and finish SeaGuy, I could easily see that being a fantastic Adult Swim cartoon series.

Excuses, excuses

>muhh movies
seriously, this board is such trash... no wonder it's referred to as Sup Forums's retarded little brother.

on Syfy channel
so he's as talented as the Wynonna Earp writer I guess

>muhhhh hypercrisis
Morrison is a hack

He finished Seaguy a few years back but Stewart is a faggot.

Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium yet it doesn't stop people from trying to adapt it again and again. In other words,

>Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium yet
It is not.

This thread is about Morrison being a thieving barely telented druggie hack with a cult of personality, if you could read you'd notice nobody is discussing any movies FAGGOT

>relevance is measured by how many movie deals you have
fuck off back to Sup Forums

>Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium yet it doesn't stop people from trying to adapt it again and again.
And it's always trash when they do it.

>inb4 Watchmen
The Watchmen movie has no reason to exist, removed from its cultural context and the medium it was born in, it's just a dreary movie about people in stupid costume being miserable.

not always

Well, you got me there.

It's the nature of the Wizard War. All-beard disdains corporations but keeps having movies made of his work. No-beard embraces corporations but the best he can do is have a few lines paraphrased into DCEU dialogue. Ever it shall be, to maintain the mystical balance.

Don't forget

>magnum opus stolen by two nobodies from Chicago who proceed to ruin the ending.

Happy's a pretty decent premise for a tv show.

>Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium

Not really. Moore's work is basically "literature in comics form", which he's always been the first to admit.

Morrison's work is so dependent on the comics medium that it doesn't even makes sense outside of the medium.

wat.

The Matrix is The Invisibles with Sci-Fi dressing.

The Assassin's Creed series has also borrowed some elements of The Invisibles

moz' work will be deified after the Great Disaster, youre gonna see little kid kamandis running around with tattered all star supermans and final crises like theyre the good books, just you wait

while it is the best adaption of any of his works it just pales in comparison to the original. still good on its own but honestly incomparable imo

>“There’s a tension between us based on past history, but not… what you say isn’t necessarily true, I don’t want to say bad things about people like Mark and anyone but yes Kick Ass was made, Wanted was made, there are no other films any more made than say Joe The Barbarian and We3 which are all in the same state of production with directors attached, with screenplays…

>“Hollywood doesn’t work that way, you can’t walk in a room, and he doesn’t… you know I live in Hollywood, I live here four months of the year and I can know what goes on, there aren’t 200 million dollars films being made, what can I say… I don’t really want to say… I don’t want to come out against somebody who will see it as an attack, it’s all too easy to do.

>“Mark has to make a certain smoke screen of himself, to look a certain way you know. Look at sales of Ultimates Comics Ultimates Vs Ultimate Avengers… that’s what it’s all about right now…

>“I wish him well but there’s not good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons most of which are he destroyed my faith in human fucking nature.”

How mad is Grant now five years later?

millar writes with films in mind. i like his jupiter stuff, not a great deal more. his secret service makes me cringe, he really really stereotypes.
i did like that army super power thing he never finished too

>>Millarworld acquired by Netflix
Is Millar now the richest comicbook creator?

>Is Millar now the richest comicbook creator?
>now
That fuck's probably been the richest comicbook creator for 7 years now.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

This.
Millar saw all the bank DC made with Watchmen, sat on the sidelines as Marvel films got going, and straight up decided to write comics to sell to studios and committed to it as his career.
Millar is one of those people who has zero problems taking the best available path to money.
He's always wanted the riches and equates success with popularity and money.
Fair play to him.

Are we getting a nemesis movie tho?

did Millar fuck Morrison's wife or what, seriously, he sounds so goddamn mad and as best as I know Millar only stole the credit of a few stories he worked in the 90's,
what happened?

And King Mob is just Jerry Cornelius and The Metabaron.

Honesty, if he can revamp Heavy Metal into something great (like he's on track for doing, that book is better now than it's been in decades, and 1985 looks sweet af), then he'll continue to be the underworld god of comics for years to come.

I think that's his long game plan. Just wait it out until Millar kills himself snorting diamonds through rolled-up royalty checks.

Grant is a better writer than those guys every day of the week. By this litmus Robert Kirkman is one of the best comic book writers of the modern era.

It was included with the Netflix buy so I imagine that or a series, yes

He's too bust making comic books real.

is Netflix going to bundle comics with subscriptions now? That's what I'm wondering

Revamping Heavy Metal isn't exactly an accomplishment; it's been terrible for years, anyone with decent editorial vision and competent creative acquisition could have made Heavy Metal better.

Neither Invisibles or The Matrix were groundbreaking or unique in plot or themes, it's all presentation.

Obviously taking something crap and making it good isn't revolutionary, otherwise we'd have daily threads wanking his Heavy Metal direction.

I'm talking about taking Heavy Metal back to where it was in the 70s, an independent science-fiction anthology showcasing the cutting-edge of ideas and art that comics can provide. We need a new Moebius, and if he can't be found by conventional artist trawling, then by gum Morrison will just have to homunculus one together out of old pulp and plutonium scrapings.

pretty much this to an extant multiversity or felx metallo would lose something as a movie

but don't we have animated movies based on his batman run & all star superman? (granted either them would've work alot better as an animated series than movies) or is this one of those "live action movies only count" threads

I think something that Morrison's fanboys are unwilling to admit is that the majority of Morrison's work would be perfectly fine adapted into films/tv and most of the people saying his works are too rooted in the comic medium have never watched experimental films. Multiversity, for example, has very little that would be difficult to translate to film.

>his work turned into shitty animated films

But they would require a big budget. Big budget experimental films just aren't common anymore.

I like a lot of Morrison's work but unfortunately it's by and large too weird to be mainstream successful. He doesn't really have any famous works with mass appeal.

You don't need the entire film to be experimental, just portions - and usually small portions at that.

You know nothing about the film industry, and how WB work within that industry if you think Multiversity could be easily adapted. It would cost millions, and it would be so cryptic and esoteric and impenetrable to the casual watcher that it wouldn't gross dollar one.

Could you actually imagine someone watching 2017's Summer Blockbuster Justice League™ and then sitting down to watch Nix Uotan traversing the Orrery of Worlds via comic books-as-boomtubes?

Willingness to be adapted and ability to be adapted are two very different things.

The only portion of Multiversity that would be cryptic, esoteric, and impenetrable would be Ultra Comics.

His stuff is too weird to adapt.

Kingsman was pretty good, hope Kingsman: The Golden Circle is great too.

>Multiversity, for example, has very little that would be difficult to translate to film.
its not impossible it just gets muddy.
like, if in the multiversity movie they use comics to see what's happening in other universes, that doesn't have the same uncannyness that it does when you yourself are reading about it in a comic. but if you change it so that they see what's happening in other universes by watching movies, that's not really any different from your standard scifi video recording.
more than any other medium, comics are the least real in our minds. people always speculate that so and so novel, or song, or movie is actually based on true events, or actually has something spooky about it, or some hidden truth about the director/writer/composer's darkest secret like a backmasked recording of their wife screaming as they murder her or whatever. comics pretty much don't have that. they are too modern and too fake. they don't have the thousands of years of cultural relevancy that books do, wherein it was only the middle ages where it started to click with people that just because someone wrote about it doesn't mean it happened. they don't have the capturing of things that actually had to have happened, even if just people acting it out for the sake of recording, that music, photography and film do.
Hell people are more wiling to believe there might be something real about a cartoon or a videogame than they are a comic, based on the kinds of creepypasta that become popular.
and that's what makes metafiction comics uniquely weirder than metafiction in other mediums.

Yeah, but whole parts would be lost in the translation. Like the whole soldier and hunchback, three-scenes-in-one sequence from Pax Americana.

I was watching the New Frontier movie the other night, and my god, do tons of little moments from that comic become crap and stilted when adapted. Pic related.

Why is there a contingent of people on this board that seem to hate Morrison so much?

He's certainly better than fucking Millar. He's also better than Milligan, if Shade is anything to go by. Shade isn't terrible though.

He's not better than Milligan but he is better than Gaiman and Ennis. Ellis doesn't belong in this conversation.

Contrarians, but also people who are sick of how much hype he gets, which, if we're all honest, is more than he's worth even if he is the messiah of comics.

Reactionary to the contingent of people on this board who think Morrison can do no wrong.

Well that's pretty stupid
>These people enjoy the works of this guy and that makes me mad! I must shit on him!

Didn't Morrison buy a fucking castle with the royalties from all the Batman related stuff? I don't think he's hurting nearly as you guys are suggesting.

He can't get a movie greenlit and it really sticks in his craw.

Yeah he's filthy rich. Also, if you write a script for a movie you still get paid even if the movie doesn't get made.

It's a back and forth. Trying to have a thread on Morrison that actually critiques his works, both good and bad, will usually wind up with his fanboys and/or his haters derailing it.

Shade isn't even Milligan's best work but I do agree that people need to calm down on the Morrison hate. He's great. He's not comic book fucking Jesus but he's great.

His fanboys don't derail it.

does somebody know?

The fact that his JLA and his Batman is not adapted is only WB fault and their desperate wish to make DCAU not a superior adaptation of iconic comics, but dark-filtered MCU clone instead.

The amount of time I've seen threads devolve into "You're just too stupid to understand it," is pretty big. Like I said, it's a back and forth. Fanboys are more prevalent when he's releasing something, haters more prevalent when he's not.

They collaborated on many early works for 2000AD, and then eventually for Marvel with stuff like Skrull Kill Krew.

But where Morrison thought deconstructing comics into something better would be the way forward, Millar thinks that taking the bare bones of a story and hyperinflating them into ultraviolent, ultrarapey proportions (like Kick-Ass) and then selling the rights off immediately is the way to go. Many of Millar's stories are written with the direct intent of selling the movie rights, something Morrison tried, and failed, to do with his gritty Santa Claus origin story.

I feel like if I loved the medium as much as Morrison, and wanted to change it for the better like he does, and then I found a young, likeminded guy and tried to work with him to do great things, and then that guy just took everything I taught him and used it to make everything edgier for money, I'd probably hate his fucking guts too.

Hell, I hate Millar's guts just because he writes shit stories, and I don't even know the guy.

>You're just too stupid to understand it," is pretty big
Usually it's in response to the people that shit on Morrison because others like him.

>better than Gaiman
now we're full Sup Forumsntrarian

Gayman kind of sucks. His prose books are garbo.

I think it really should be noted that while Millar does have his ultraviolent, edgy stories, he's also perfectly able to write other types of stories.

I think it more boils down to how Morrison views superheroes and interprets their place in cultural consciousness opposed to Millar, as Morrison himself isn't above putting ultraviolence and edge in his stories.

just that?
Millar just sell out and thats why Morrison is so assblasted?
I mean, isn't kinda the same thing Moore did and say about him too?

I think Millar wrote that one good Superman story, but aside from that, I've never read anything of his that wasn't full edgelord. Likewise, I can't think of anything of Morrison's that's overly edgy without at least trying to say something underneath.

Maybe there are examples of both that I've never encountered, though.

You mean Red Son? The one Morrison gave him all the ideas for and never got any credit back on? Because I'm pretty sure that's a point of contention with him.

No, the other one. "If you knew how you were loved, none of you would raise a fist in anger again." Was that not Millar, or am I talking out of my ass? I haven't read a cape comic in some time.

>just that?
Most likely not but they never talk about it so...

Pretty sure that was Ennis.

That was Ennis, dumbass.

This is so good even Alan Moore likes it

Fuck, mixed up my edgies. What issue was it? Was it in Hitman?

I guess previous user is right, just Red Son, then. Unless people can name better Millar comics.

Reminder that Alan Moore has never seen Watchmen.

Millar also wrote the Superman: TAS comic (Adventures of Superman, I believe it was) which was
1) Very good
2) The absolute opposite of edge

I would honestly say some of Millar's better work was with Marvel's Ultimate universe. Even then, it was only marginally better than 616, at the time.

That's what I was thinking of. Got my Superman comics crossed.

I can't forgive Ultimates for having an abusive Pym, and so undoing all the development 616 Pym had gone through up to that point.

ME AND GWANT - *KLIK*
ME AND GWANT - *KLIK*

Adventures of Superman. Red Son likewise doesn't read like a Morrison Superman story except for the very end. It should be noted that Morrison ended his Action Comics run on a stable time loop.

As for non-edgy Millar, Starlight off the top of my head. Edgy without an underlying message Morrison is We3, surprisingly, and Bulleteer.

Was Starlight good? I remember reading the first issue and being intrigued by Space Opera, but turned off by Millar.

Maybe Morrison is using sigil magic to keep out of Hollywood's attention.

Different universe. If anything Pym comes across as rather sympathetic later in the run.

>getting your comics adapted is a measure of success

pleb mentality

No, Moore's comics are rooted in literature. Morrison takes the comic medium itself - the whole book with it's pages and the way you need to read them - and builds around it. WE3 and that utter clusterfuck of a comic with the "astronauts find god" premise are examples of it.

It's underdeveloped, but a pretty great pulp space opera homage.

I know it's a different universe, but try telling that to Marvel and especially to Marvel fans.

Once the idea of Pym being a wifebeater had entered back into the public consciousness, he was immediately sidelined. His character development went to shit, and the only good books he's had since then have been Slott's Mighty Avengers, Humphries' Avengers AI (which was awful, but at least he tried to do something with Pym) and Rage of Ultron, which killed him.

Prior to Ultimates, Hank was bouncing back, he and Janet were together, he was overcoming his demons. Since Ultimates, Hank's entire character has been that he's losing to his demons.

>something Morrison tried, and failed, to do with his gritty Santa Claus origin story.

Really? I though Morrison just wanted to tell a feel good story with his trademark pseudo-grittyness and extradimensional ayy lmaos

That's Ennis not Millar

Austen was shitting on Hank in his Avengers run that was contemporaneous with Ultimates and Bendis took over Avengers a few months after Ultimates 1 ended.

He's mostly gone away from writing edgy stuff when Man of Steel "broke" him.

>Moore frequently just uses purple prose in text bixes with pretty pictures
>infinitely more suited to the medium
Moorefags are such cucks they don't realize that guys like Gibbons, Bissette, Totleben, Ha and Williams carried him