The Second Dark Age of Cartoons

youtube.com/watch?v=RWcr5ilbiYk
youtube.com/watch?v=liJDwFOzAY0

We're currently living in a second dark age of cartoons, maybe even worse than the 1970s and especially with the movies that have come out this year (Smurfs, Spark, The Emoji Movie, Rock Dog, Boss Baby and the upcoming films such as The Nut Job 2 and The Star) yes I can say that we are living in a second dark age of western animation in whch none of the better shows on now (Steven Universe, Star vs The Forces of Evil) can save us from this horrible dreck we're living in (Teen Titans Go, The Powerpuff Girls (2016), Bunsen Is Beast, Billey Dilley, Cloudy, The Mighty Magiswords and more)

Didn't you make this same thread last night?

oh look its this thread again

wow I sure do love to listen to dilettantes try and figure out how to say 'cartoons aren't as good as i remember them' for 10 minutes.

>WHY CANT TODAYS CARTOONS BE LIKE THE ONES I LIKED AS A KID

Quit shilling your YouTube channel

Can we put aside the "muh nostalgiafags" meme for a while and legitimately recognize that decent cartoons and variety in airing have dropped significantly over time. Of course there's always been bad cartoons but overall there are just less good cartoons airing.

Worst part is they idolize cartoons from the 2000s. As a 90s kid, I say cartoons had already started going to shit by then.

And that's what all nostalgiafags say.
>BACK IN MUH DAY WE HAD DEH BEST CAHRTOONS NOW EEEVERYTHING SUKS

The 2000s were not bad they were good ulike the 2010s with shows like Teen Titans Go ad Breadwinners

And cartoons are still shit today

you idiots posting in the thread realize op just wants views for his YT channel

No. The guy in the video used like Ben 10 and Teen Titans as examples of "good cartoons". Obvious case of nostalgia.

Teen Titans is the 3rd-best cartoon ever made.

Ben 10 is shit though, agreed.

There's no cure for bad taste.

>I'm about to turn 20, and-

No, we had shit cartoons back then:

Doug
Recess
We wuz Hill Kangz

Dude, I've been discovering 2000s cartoons that I'd never heard of for a few years now. It's not a nostalgia meme, they're simply the peak that the Western animation industry reached.

Cartoons suck ass today because they're cheap to make and they're put there to waste slot time. No one puts effort because what's the point when you can shit out 10 Calarts turds with flash?

Yeah, it's been that way for a decade now.

I'm not even laughing anymore, this is just sad.

>he still thinks flash is a tool used in modern animation
Stupid flipphone posters

go watch anime, my men.

You weren't even alive in the 90s, were you?

Remeber anons, Sup Forums created hooktube for a reason

Oh my fuck dude. If bait, nice

Billy Dilley and Magiswords are at least attempting to break out of the Flapjack aesthetic.

The internet and specifically tumblr and deviantart has ruined the community of professional animators. Most are truly awful people and have a completely different sense of humor and design philosophy than the animators of the 90's to the early 00's.

>Mighty Magiswords

That show is garbage that looks like it was made by a kid with ADHD

Not really, the only problem it has its that the pacing is on cocaine

The whole community has become an inbred mess, everyone is aping eachother's style and they never learn how to draw anything different so nearly every show looks the same with minor differences.

We desperately need a new cartoon anthology series. Cartoonstitute could have saved us but the recession killed that off.

That's when I stopped watching. He grew up with 2000s garbage and doesn't know what good cartoons actually are.

>Recess
>Bad
Shit opinion

Pacing slowed down in the new episodes.

Doug wasn't great but it paved the way for better cartoons to follow (like Pepper Ann and Hey Arnold)

Recess was genuinely good

King of the Hill is really REALLY good.

There were many good shows airing at that time like Fillmore Avatar Justic eleague FOP Spongebob Courage Ed Edd n Eddy Danny Phantom Flapjack Chowder and many more unlike now ehere you get crappy shows like PPG TTG Ben 10 and SU

even if you hate SU and/or GF, its kind of embarrassing that this guy went to the trouble to make this video, and then is just like "oh there's shows people say are good? never seen them, might check them out lol"

He's probably retarded enough to like SU.

High Five, my 90s bro. As far as I'm concerned, the dark times arrived with Rocket Power and Catdog, and didn't start to wane until Avatar came around.

take that together with the vague ass points he makes, and its almost as if he doesnt actually give a shit about cartoons and is just making a halfassed attempt to cash in on a popular bitching topic for views

The elephant in the room is that people who frequent cartoon forums tend not to agree with this, so the discussion is never made. People who still go to Sup Forums or cartoon reddits or whatever go there because they still think cartoons are at least good enough to keep discussing.

The 80% of people who either grew out of cartoons or grew into anime/older cartoons leave the modern fandom because all they talk about are SU and Star Vs and whatnot. So the echochamber continues and the studios assume we all want more of the same flapjack style millenial ironic/oh so random humor.

still better than your shit.

Cartoons have always been like this prick, the problem is that there is no variety, the quantity of shows produced are less and less each year.

Sup Forums has its own problems with inbreeding, but luckily it has more skillful people in the field, a larger more dedicated fanbase and companies are willing to take risks, for every couple of shitty harem or LN adaptation we get something experiemental or different.

I miss Kanada block shading and 80's character designs though...

Why because cartoon girls like this are ugly and can't be moe waifus? give me a break Japanophile.

TV Cartoons have been like this for a long time, but we did go through a small golden age in the 90's/early 00's.

I would argue the limited animation of the 60's and 70's building off the UPA/Walter Lantz aesthetic was still more visually appealing and timeless though. Stuff like Rocky and Bullwinkle and the Flintstones has way more universal appeal than TTG or SU.

Cartoons are as good as they ever had been, is just that there is so few of them, The problem is that discussing cartoons on IB there will be always tons of people hating on them due to Anime, which is fucking stupid since cartoons and Anime are completely different things.

cartoons are supposed to be ugly, kiddy, comedic, etc. Anime is supposed to be cinematic, realistic and erotic as if it was a tv series but instead of using humans uses Animation.

When an anime is made in to a movie they can easily use people, When you make a liveaction-cartoon hybrid they are so alien they usually have to come from some magic portal or whatever.

Sup Forums girls and Sup Forums girls can be cute.

>early 00's.
>golden age
stopped reading there.

>Sup Forums girls can be cute
>Picks the worst possible examples

>ADHD

Yes and?

Did you even watched Roger Rabbit movie? cartoons are extremely insane, they are nothing like anime, just look how anime is so realistic and overly sexual, completely different.

I said they were ugly though, and there is nothing wrong with that.

There are good cartoons being made. They just are being made by Netflix, Hulu, and not on traditional cable.

Kids today aren't getting them from here. Get with the times, grandpa.

there are PLENTY of good cartoons airing, they just dont get noteriety because people dont care about whats not popular. i could easily name 10 good shows that are currently ongoing or recently finished. and dont get me started on pilots and movies. i would go on for hours.

You are just wrong, cartoons now have decreased in effort drastically in the animation department and the inbred design aesthetics of the 10's is ever present.

I'll agree with you on this point, western animation tends to be kinetic, frantic and surreal. The best western animation is usually utilizing the more flexible ideals in wacky and interesting ways (golden age Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Ed Edd n Eddy, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo etc).

Anime on the other hand is born from cost cutting measures. Typically they shun dynamic movement for beautiful individual shots (see 70's Dezaki for the introduction of this) and spurts of fluid animation that can be afforded due to frame modulation. Character designs tend to be more rigid and unflexible.

That isn't to say that each can't do the other well, Samurai Jack brought the more cinematic angle of anime into a minimalist artstyle, creating something visually unique. Likewise FLCL and to a lesser extent Urusei Yatsura or Golden Boy have taken notes from western animation and placed effort on specific facial animation and artstyle shifts for comedic effect, while still maintaining anime-like frame modulation and production value.

Ironically anime is becoming more and more dynamic because of CG and digital coloration, and modern cartoons are getting more and more rigid and consistent looking because of the studio systems and budget cuts.

>Picks two cute girls
WHAT ARE TRYING TO SAY?

The 2000's. When every network made lazy flash toons.

You don't realize how low the bar is for western TV animation do you?

I don't like modern toon art like your pic. How about pic related?

That cartoon girls are ugly, and that is OK because they are cartoons they aren't overly erotic pin-ups like Anime girls are.

Sexualizing cartoon girls is a mistake, If I was a mod at Sup Forums I would delete every waifu-related post and every Anime-related post, to take this board to it's former glory.

Cartoons should remain cartoons, and if you don't agree, you never liked them in the first place.

can't be lower than the bar for eastern animation thats for sure. he anime industry is dealing with a plethora of problems at the moment , and one of the biggest hits hasnt been in animation quality, its been on writing. Put it simply , anime writing SUCKS and at the moment, american tv shows are simply better written. i never cared about animation quality to begin with, its the writing i enjoyed, and even now, anime writing simply doesn't live up to my standards

>That cartoon girls are ugly
but that's simply untrue, and I'm a guy who thinks anime are vastly superior to cartoon. There are beautiuful cartoon waifu like Daphne and Velma.

>comparing magiswords to roger rabbit

The worst of anime is way worse than cartoons, but with so MANY anime coming out every year there are at least three or four shows a year that are WAAAAYYY better than millenial humor that we have now.

It's a cultural barrier too so I can understand it isn't for everyone.

Reminder that in terms of movement, cartoons from the 10's are closer to anime from the 70's than they are to cartoons from the 90's.

>disgracing Richard Williams's name

Daphne and Velma are products of the 60s and 70s and have been pruded to high heaven since the 90s.

>Cartoon characters are ugly
Shit opinion m2^3

Anime girlss aren't even that erotic have you seen the same face moeblobs the japs out?

Waifu threads are the natural result of making likable female characters. Just ignore the thread if you don't want to see it. There is an ignore button.

Also who suggested that cartoons shouldn't be cartoons?

>Modern toon art
Shit meme

>Penelope
Shit taste

>Daphne and Velma

they have some more realistic proportions, still not sexualized at the level of your basic, everyday Anime.

Also, why are you even here in the first place?

comic and Star Vs.

This is pointless as we recently had Lego Batman, Kubo, and Zootopia. Chill the fuck out; earlier this century, we had to put up with Johnny Test, Problem Solverz, and Chicken Little and even then we weren't in that awful animation ghetto.

>Anime girls aren't even that erotic

Just fucking Google "Anime girl" in Images, it is even more balant than fucking hiphop music videos.

Realistic proportions are more attractive in the first place. And this idea that anime characters are more sexualized is really retarded. There is just more adult anime than kid's anime.

Also stop posting that shit show.

95% of American cartoons today are flapjack's artstyle with tweaks. This kind of monotony is not conducive to the ideals of western animation (flexibility, wackiness, unique facial animation etc)

Anime does have an inbreeding problem as well, but it isn't AS egregious because it doesn't contradict the design principles of anime (beautiful individual frames, more detailed "realistic" and solid construction of characters).

>doesn't like penelope pitstop
HB girls are cute as fuck, she was always my favorite though. How about pic related for something weirder?

Why so? he would agree with me, Anime is hyper realistic, overly serius, hyper-sexual, cinematic medium that has more in common with actual movies than the world of cartoons.

I'll post what I want, I like my Sup Forums girls ugly. AS THEY SHOULD BE. and I will chase down any waifufaggotry and Anime faggotry back to Sup Forums and or /jp/ that is for sure.

>liking the only Loud worse than Lamp

You don't Intimidate me, Anime mafioso!

>CG shit as an example of why we arn't in a dark age

doesnt most anime copy he same artstyle as well? in fact most studios literally have TEMPLATES so they can reuse the same character models.

>Uncle Grandpa
>bad

Just from that, I already know the videos are trash without needing see them.

>Jenny exist
>Picking Crust
Just stop.
>Flapjack artstyle
Objectively wrong

>Likes ugly girls
>Picks cute girl

Yes, I do. Sup Forums is strong and has preserved better than most. We're king of this jungle brace loser.

Because Anime characters aren't cartoons, they represent people, most anime characters from different anime could fit into each other's "universe", when are you going to understand that Anime in Japan is kind of a big deal? they use characters as if they were actors rather than Images or symbols. As an ideal visual representation of their reality.

She is not as Ugly as Iris but she is still one of my best girls to post. I am getting interested in M. Magiswors o I may get a new one.

Well then I'll do my own Imageboard with no Anime, I'll call it EPCOT the Imageboard of of tomorrow.

Anime is super iterative, it's been copying itself for so long that it is hard to pinpoint an origin for modern design principles.

Many character designers are passed around from show to show, especially the super popular moe shows.

I'm not the biggest fan of 10's anime artstyle either (80's was the best) but, like I said, it isn't damaging to the design philosophy of anime, and there are SO MANY new shows every year, there is always something different to look at.

Just look at that gif, look at their expressions, THIS is what we've been reduced to in post recession cartooning...

Jesus you're retarded beyond belief. Cartoon characters represent people too, and in no different capacity than anime. And no, they don't use anime characters as actors, you're just culturally illiterate.

Image boards without anime die. Anime is the blood of image boards. Even popular boards around other subjects still rally around anime mascots

>Steven Universe
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I mean, Tezuka did use recurring
character designs as "actors" (complete with estimations of what their salaries would be) and most anime is just paraphrasing Tezuka.

Look at how rigid and uncartoony that laugh is...

>muh children's cartoons

well what else is out there for cartoons? when WWOEC died I had no Internet home anymore, except for deviantart maybe.

>durh, cartoons and anime are the same, hur

You are in a thread that states Anime is superior to cartoons yet you claim they are the same? get those eyes checked buddy.

>Because anime characters aren't cartoons

You're conflating genres and mediums buddy. Panty and Stocking, One Punch Man, and Ninja Slayer are definite examples of cartoony anime, while somewestern "Cartoons" such such as Archer or The Boondocks (though the latter is to a lesser extent) that could be portrayed easily in live action. Not all anime are the same. Just keep that that in mind.

Where do you think we are?

Despite the Calarts meme, most cartoons are very different from each other and putting characters from different shows together makes them clash visually, this wont happen in Anime except for some "outlier" shows like Panty and Stocking.

And Kyoto Animation are the "Dan Schneider" of Anime.

>not liking CG shit
>implying Zootopia would have been better 2D
>implying Kubo is CG
I'm not angry, just disappointed.

>talking shit about King of the Hill
That's it, I'm done with this shit board and its awful taste.
See ya, losers. I'm going back to /asp/.