The High Evolutionary

Am I the only one who really likes this guy? He's got huge potential, and an interesting niche,but it seems people don't even know he exists. I mean, he has ties to Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver, Chthon, Adam Warlock, Spider-Woman, Doom,Galactus and the Celestials,but all he does is show up once in a while to job.

Is it the pink color?

He's out of place in the Marvel Universe. He should be a setting element in a Euro sci-fi comic, the MU he's just another one of the "really powerful guy" club.

He seems like a mix of Doctor Doom and Kang, if you are asking me.

I love the HE but no one really knows what the fuck to do with him nowadays, he's been wildly different in each of his modern appearances.

Yeah, I can see your point. both HE & Kang could support their own Eurocomics book, but in the MU, they're worthless. Vertigo or Wildstorm could've done something good with them as well,I think.

Kinda. HE is more obsessed with "evolving" things, but not just humans, the Universe itself. He melds science and magic together, hence him wanting to create a "God fit for the 21st Century", which I think is interesting. He operates on a Cosmic Scale, so to him Gods are an integral part of the Plan.

Yeah, that's true.

I fucking love HE, he's also great when he takes off the helmet and does normal dude stuff. He's so good he makes worse books better by sheer presence effect. The weird thing is that he doesn't show up to help out as often as he shows to fuck things up. With the HE you really get the feeling he shouldn't be so isolated.

Doesn't he look like a weird mish-mash of animals at this point?

Either way, I kinda like his "creepy scientist up in the mountains" act. It makes him unpredictable. I do want to see how he spends his time though. What does he do all day apart from evolving dogs?

He doesn't work because writers don't respect the character.

Remember when they had him explain that the original Clone Saga was a farce (without actually ruining it or any subsequent stories) because complete duplicates like that go against how life and souls work in Marvel? Remember how Marvel just ignored that ever happened so they could do the second Clone Saga, and how Slott recently shat o it even further?

That's why the High Evolutionary sucks. The stuff he says and does holds no weight.

So it's just another case of Marvel completely ignoring the Cosmic/Magical side to indulge in their pseudo-science stories?

I've always seen him as an X-Men villain, due to his Modus operandi

Eh, he operates on a much bigger scale. I always saw him as a kind of neutral character.

I mean in that case yeah, but the bigger problem is that characters like Herbert aren't treated properly and necessary retcons aren't done with finesse. Or, more accurately, the writers don't respect each other.

Conway had Herbert retcon the cloning, a story he wrote in the first place, but the way he did it kept the storyline's purpose intact and left Peter's questionable status intact while respecting the established canon of other writers.

The 90's Spidey team just offhandedly added the retcon of "Herbert was lying, fuck off," which damages the character, the story, and the extended Canon. Slott then pushed the disregard of Canon even further with Ben #6373 still being "Ben."

If the writers at Marvel had some professionalism and respect, if they were the kind of people who made retcons that enhance and correct stories instead of being frivolous tug-of-wars, characters like Herb wouldn't be boring and useless. The only time you get to ignore your fellow writer is if you're doing an alt take or they're a disrespectful hack like Bendis.

I'm not saying that I'm not a stupid faggot, it's just that over years, he developed some ties, due to twins, Exodus, Sinister, and yadda yadda

With that said, HE used to be first and foremost, Thor's ally, which is something that most people forgot.

Marvel just doesn't do continuity anymore. Well, they haven't for a few decades now, but you get the point.

HE requires actual work to be written properly, and Marvel's writers just don't have that much brain power.

Well, Herbert was retconned to being inspired by Sinister, so there's that.

>Well, Herbert was retconned to being inspired by Sinister, so there's that.
Exactly, hence my confusion

Can someone explain the appeal of Mr. Sinister to me? His design is awful and I don't understand how he's supposed to be entertaining.

He had androgynous look (not anymore), has this Mengele-nazi-scientist feel, and is pure lawful evil. Gillen wrote entertaining Sinister.

Yeah, fair enough.

He works best when he's an eccentric English Lord stereotype with a fixation on Cyclops. When writers try to make him "creepy" it just doesn't work. I'm not saying he should be kooky, but Gillen's version was the best.

Okay fair enough, I haven't read that far. I just saw a few Claremont issues with him and he seemed...really boring.

I like him but I'd prefer it if he stays in his relative obscurity. He shows up as a good villain and hasn't been utilized by shitty writers as a result of that since they'll usually find some other villain to defame.

I like that he is a mad scientist that cares about his creations like a father.

He was always a keikaku villian. The problem is, he's plans where never fully explained by writers. They were almost exclusively used to make an overshadowing atmosphere. Thanos is much more direct in acting and thinking than Essex.

In fact, he's like those crazy botanist guys that have endless patience and wait for their long term plans to bear fruit.

Well, Rememnder did have him commit global genocide a couple of times so... I'm not sure about that...

HE cares until his switch is flipped. Then HE starts over.

He is literally an evil deranged shipper mad scientist with super science at his disposal.
If anything we should be asking why writers are fucking up Sinister hard enough that people can't see why he'd be entertaining.

Laura Kinney, What are you doing? You should be dating that Julian fellow. I spent generations making sure he was genetically perfect for you! You get back there and snog him this instant!
Jean Grey is turning mutants gay? We must stop that this instant before she ruins my Dominossus ship i worked years on. It's bad enough that it got derailed for years by that Kitty pryde brat!

I think the fact he's typically known to most as being Apocalypse's bitch is what ruins him for people.

I agree. He really "cares" about his children. Even Cable got his first name from him because of a mild telepathic suggestion.

Bump

That's the big problem. One writer will use him as a mostly-benevolent mad scientist type, the next uses him as a world-threatening lunatic. There's no consistency, he's just whatever the current writer wants him to be.

Conway using the High Evolutionary to retcon the original Clone Saga was always strange. He's said to have done it because he'd become convinced that human cloning would never ever be possible, or at least not the comic-book version where you create a full-grown clone who has all the memories and experiences of the original.

Somehow no-one told him that Marvel had a number of other villains who were established as being able to create clones, like Arnim Zola, Maelstrom and Sinister, so the Jackal doing so was no big deal.