2000AD Storytime: Mazeworld

Hi Sup Forums it's NEW COMIC BOOK DAY but for us it's also OLD COMIC BOOK DAY as we journey back through the swirling mists of time to 1999.

Let's read the third (and final) part of Mazeworld:

Book One: Book Two:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cXqQBteMJTg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks a lot OP. Wasnt this around the time 2000ad was getting back to a consistent quality after the 'dark period' following US companies headhunting all their Talent?

To be honest this is slightly before the period I was reading so I don't really know.

Whoops, wrong image posted.

...but as I was saying, re-reading this myself has put me in awe of the paneling work.

This sequence is so well composed. I really wish I had a copy in front of me; you never get the full impact when it's not physical.

I've quite enjoyed storytiming this so although we end tonight I figure I'll probably start up again with some Judge Anderson Ranson/Grant material soon-ish.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free.

It's become a big regret to me that Arthur Ranson and Keith Giffen never got together for something big.

FUCK. I'm bad for getting the images mixed up tonight.

>These guys are pure Hollywood science and I kinda love it.

If you're reading, what else did you read that came out today?

Just New Super-Man to be honest. I skimmed the comments of Secret Empire and related, and have decided to read Mr. Miracle by myself because Sup Forums threads get pretty toxic regarding King these days

I'd say Mister Miracle was objectively good, but i'm really not interested in reading 12 issues of King using comics to work through his depression. Red Hood and the Outlaws continues to be the suprise great book of Rebirth, New Super-Man was great fun as always and it was sad to see Gotham Academy end, but it went out fairly well.

There's some Christian stuff getting worked into Mister Miracle that I'm not totally sold on.

(Albeit after Omega Men it should probably not surprise anyone Tom King has a religious bent)

Yep, Barda directly calling him the 'Son of God' is really weird.

I'm one of these people who buy a few issues of 2000 AD every so often then forget to buy anymore until the next time the urge comes upon me so I often never get to find out how certain stories end.

This's one of those stories so thanks for putting it up here.

Not weird just stupid.

Adam's adventures have this degree of removal from the ordinary people of Mazeworld throughout the whole thing.

No problem at all; very glad to have you reading.

The mazed borders return.

I find Raven highly amusing now he's got a new catchphrase to be honest.

WELP

Talking of stories getting religious...

J/K Mazeworld has been going there since pretty early on.

Possibly related: youtube.com/watch?v=cXqQBteMJTg

EVIL DEAD II ERA BRUCE CAMPBELL NOOOOOOO

>AND HIS NAME IS

There's an interpretation of this, and it's the more interesting one to me, which is less about what's being said on the page and more about considering where this series starts (with Adam being executed), what happens in the second book and the mishmash of Kabbalistic/pagan/tarot journey references that bring us here.

The Mazeworld books can feel quite disconnected, and I'd be curious what anyone who's reading for the first time's impression is.

LAST BOOK
LAST ISSUE

Love the hand here.

Here we get it pretty outright. Bottom panel is fantastic.

And that's it!

F for real this time.

Thank you all for reading. I'd be delighted to know what you thought of Mazeworld. And 2000AD Storytime WILL return. At some point. Probably.

Im pretty sure that pose ripping the wire is from a pic of Stone Cold Steve Austin.

lol, quite probably? That's the problem with photo referencing.

Thanks a lot OP. While I think we didnt really get enough time to explore mazeworld itself, its a really interesting and engaging series.The art is great and the panelling is a definite highlight.

Hype and bump.

Thanks OP.
Anyone else solve any mazes, just because?

>not solving the maze of life

Thanks OP. Do you happen to have a download link for this?

Every day is old comic book day for me, OP.
I just read Book One. thanks for putting this up, it will keep me busy this evening.

Pretty much. Mid80s was the time DC and Marvel pretty much raided 2000AD's talent pool.

Always surprised Arthur Ranson didn't end up at either of the big two actually. Maybe they thought he was a little too much into realism than they liked. Especially in the 90s.

That page is a slow zoom out then a pan to the right to catch the airship coming in. Stories can be told as much through the art design as well as the writing and art itself.

He did some work for both Marvel and DC but he said himself he didn't like it, and from what I've read the colorists they gave him weren't great.

Plus losing Millar and Morrison from 2000AD was actually a positive in that era.

bump

Get on up.