twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

no

maybe so

it's too stupid to be pretentious

yep

came to post this

I don't know

I don't think the show is. I just think its fans are.

Bingo bongo

Yes. It panders to the progressive demographic and acts like it's brave for doing so. Making a pro-LGBT show in an extremely conservative area would be brave. California? Not so much.

>Y-you both fused together?
>Members of different quarts?
>Both are female
>THIS IS UNHEARD OF

It can be pretty pretentious, yeah. Still think it's an okay show. The writing is really spread apart an that makes it convoluted, this show really doesn't benefit from an over arching plot just due to how bad the writing team is, was much better when it was more episodic.

Its messages can be pretty hamfisted at times

It has songs which never fit what's going on.

I don't wanna leave the Congo.
Oh no no no no no.

It's a children's cartoon. Why do you adults spend so much time stressing over it?

Can you repeat the question?

YES M8

Why is it pretentious?

Yeah it was better when they went to different gem locals each episode and there was more mystery about where they came from. I do like the concept of the gem aliens though. I just don't think they've been handled very well.

bingo bango bungle.
I'm so happy in the jungle I refuse to go.

YOUR NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW!!

Pretty bad. Still better than LH and Star VS by a long shot though.

Yes, and a waste of potential.

>Crying and Lesbians: the Show
>better than Biblical References and the End of The World: the Show
M8, i m laffin

It's fandom is.

this

Now that's autism!

In the sense that its pretending to be good, yes.

yeah more like obnoxious

Especially considering Steven was supposed to be a "boy's can have defensive/supportive powers and still be innately masculine too" type deal but then they literally made him an effeminate perma-child who acts 8 at 14. I mean I guess that just proves it.

The fanbase is. The show is just out to tell a fun story, the fanbase is the one that ascribes the value to it.

No, Adventure Time is

Yes
No
I don't know
Can you repeat the question?

Only specific episodes. Not the series as a whole.

/thread

Yes
No
Yes (Sarcastic)
More caps

oh hey it the Malcolm in the Middle anime

Generally, no. It has it's moments like with Beach City Drift, but this user has the best answer.

Yes

Nope. it's legitimately a good show

God I love her

>Star vs and the bible.

This!

nice thumbnail faggot

But user you're are my waifu

>better than TLH
>gets far worse ratings
Try again, Drumpftard.

yes

But isn't SU progressive? Or has TLH, with it's sad pedophile neckbeard audience, surpassed it in that regard?

If anything it's not pretentious enough. If the show had more nuance and depth to it then maybe it wouldn't be such a poorly written, amateur-ish, unsubtle mess.

Yep. There's no depth to it. All the characters are either innocent angels fighting the authority or big mean dumb evil poopy heads. Not counting the WHACKY background characters though.

it's mostly the critics that act more high and mighty than they have any right to.

Here's an episode re-animated by a collaboration of 164 animators around the world

youtube.com/watch?v=aDuLP-ImfgM

The critics can never do something even close to this, yet they act like they're better than people like these fans who have drive, passion, skill, talent, and the self discipline to see something like this through.

Pic related.

What's it's pretense?

You just hit the nail, it's so meh it's average for the most part, but when it tries hard it is just so in your face I can only compare it to a kid who is very proud of his finger painting.

It's just so mediocre you can't help but to humor it. If anything the pretentiousness comes from the so called art teacher that is the fandom.

I mean seriously this cartoon can go 26 episodes of nothing happening only to make an episode of character development happening in a musical while everyone cries only to flanderize the characters 8 episodes later and resume the cycle of 20 episodes of nothingness.

Can you even call the feeling of boredom to be pretentious? If the answer is yes I guess this could be pretentious.

That's pretty impressive. I still don't like the show, and I especially don't like the fans, but I won't let it be said that some of them aren't dedicated.

Where the actual fuck do you think you are right now?

Not really. It's something else, maybe what this user says here .

It's too lighthearted and it rarely ever attempts to be really serious. And even when they try to make it serious, like in that Sardonyx arc, it kinda works out fine.

>this autism
>mixing this filth with religion
You're all going to hell. Better find a way to redeem yourselves soon.

No, it's obnoxious.

more than likely
the art style, writing, and animation are all more suitable for a hipster slice of life shit, but the fact that they try to make it this big space epic about two worlds colliding proves how hard they fall on their ass

Believe it.

nothing personal kid

Yes.

No just fat

Pretty much this. It's a dumb show that idiots think is smart/meaningful/deep despite being as shallow as a puddle. Similar to Rick and Morty.

Whether or not that's more, less, or as obnoxious as a show that's actually pretentious, that's personal preference.

Its actually obnoxiously down to Earth

U K U L E L E
K
U
L
E
L
E

Apologize

No. If anything, it's not serious enough. And when it is serious, it's always at the wrong points so it feels tonally off.

Its what you make it.

I love how he still wears the potato chip bag in the paintings.
Pic unrelated

Steven Universe is far from ostentatious. Why do people throw around the word pretentious so much?

It's shitty, obnoxious, badly written and animated. Not pretentious.

thread should've ended after these posts

In my opinion the message of 'everyone is a good person and hurting deep down' and that the world and humanity is such a good thing is kinda annoying. I get it's supposed to be optimistic and in line with what Steven thinks, but the way this show portrays it it comes across as really naive even compared to other kid shows with similar messages. The world really doesn't work like that.

Idk it just really bothers me in this particular show for some reason. Any one else bothered by it?

their kids are going to be insanely good looking

Just like Steven.

>The show is just out to tell a fun story
It really isn't

Don't know why you would.
The show constantly kicks Steven down for his believes.
He wants to help everyone but sometimes it bites him in his ass.
Him being nice has got him into a lot of shit many times.
trying to be nice to Peridot and telling her about how Earth is full of life lead to many of his friends being captured.
And When he tried to heal Eyeball and helped her out she tried to murder him.

The show says that Pacifism is a good but also shows its downsides and how hard pacifism is to achieve.
It one of the main things I love about the show.
Plus I think its awesome to finally have a show that's all "Fuck yeah humanity."
Theirs nothing I hate more then the bullshit message that all humans are bad.
One of the main reasons I fucking hate TWD.

I think it's a show that's enamoured with the idea of being something really emotional that kids will remember many years later. Key point being it likes the IDEA of it, but it doesn't seem to actually go through the effort of building up to being emotional, or having enough variety to make those emotional scenes stand out. It really desperately wants to be those scenes on youtube of famous sad moments in movies that everyone creams themselves over how deep and moving they are.

I think if instead of a bunch of sad notes, they picked a couple of the bigger more substantial ones, and eliminated the rest to give more breathing room for other things people would find interesting as well as the ability to develop those other sad points much further, it would be an overall more balanced show.

As it is it is pretentious, in the sense that it runs on the pretense of having being built on something large enough for the audience to feel sad about, when it hasnt even come close to that point. It's like a wannabe webcartoonist who wants to do drama in their wacky joke comic but instead of building up to it they go right for LOSS.

That's not the show being pretentious, that's just the show having depth. You could argue about the exact amount of depth, but it doesn't pretend to have more than it actually does.

Do people really enjoy "muh feels" every episode?
I got tired after S2 , the first two seasons were really good , sadly S3 and S4 are some of the worst garbage i watched on tv.

The Sardonyx arc was fucking awful though. It tried to be serious, but it falls flat on it's face because it couldn't figure out how to resolve itself. The ending was the biggest asspull I have seen in recent years.

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The resolution wasn't asspull desu

Then what is it then?

How?

nope

>the characters are either innocent angels fighting the authority or big mean dumb evil poopy heads.
Have you actually seen the show?

I disagree, those aren't mutually exclusive things sempai.

Every plot point is handled so poorly, and the biases and viewpoints of the writers are so utterly hamfisted into the show, it comes off as preachy, and annoying.

But steven never fucking learns and his methods works way more than they should in the show.

>his methods works way more than they should in the show.

His methods haven't worked since The Cluster. Everybody he's tried to befriend has tried to take his life.

I don't recall of any specific points where "Steven's methods" worked when they logically wouldn't. Do you have a particular point in mind?

>the biases and viewpoints of the writers are so utterly hamfisted into the show, it comes off as preachy, and annoying.
I thought Uncle Andy was handled well for a show with liberal bias.

Well fairly recently, they managed sway topaz by him and lars crying about shit. It didn't get them back home but it's still dumb.

>The show constantly kicks Steven down for his believes.

Most of the consequences are either so minor or are so delayed that it really doesn't matter. It took several seasons before Steven's speech to Peridot got his friends in trouble.The eyeball thing (and bismuth to an extent) just went away for a while. Sure Steven was spooked/had 'emotional baggage' for an episode or two after that but that sorta dissipated with nothing to it. Every other pacifistic romp he's had really didn't bite him in the ass, in fact thanks to deus ex machinas he often gets out of situations that should punish him for his pacifism more often than not.

>Plus I think its awesome to finally have a show that's all "Fuck yeah humanity."
Theirs nothing I hate more then the bullshit message that all humans are bad.
One of the main reasons I fucking hate TWD.

The opposite is arguable true with this show by painting humanity as better than it is. I like balance in my shows/what i watch and read. Having humans be portrayed as amazingly awesome or extremely evil and bad pisses me off because it overgeneralizes an entire species and negates any and all chances for shades of grey.

>But there are human characters in the show that do bad things and bad human characters like Kevin and Marty

You mean characters that are gags or don't show up for the majority of the show that have very little impact on the plot other than in flashback sequences? yeah…that's not really a good case for balance.

and also

>to finally have a show

Yeah, no. There are quite a few shows that go 'Fuck yeah humanity'. Even today.

I've always liked these reanimate projects. I always feel sorry for the poor schmuck who has to string every piece together though

>The opposite is arguable true with this show by painting humanity as better than it is.
What'cha got against humanity?