Enjoyed the style of the first issue, but feeling like I missed out on a bit...

Enjoyed the style of the first issue, but feeling like I missed out on a bit. What should I read to get a better grasp of whats to come and the characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/895472522023587840
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kirby.

pfffft

It was light on content. Mostly about the feelings. You probably got the important stuff. I guess Godfrey was the deepest cut, but mainly what you're missing is just the knowledge to speculate. It's supposed to be somewhat unclear on the specifics though.

Anyway Kirby is old but still quite readable.

I would read his original run. It's pretty short.

Seven Soldiers. Scott is stuck in the Omega Sanction and Darkseid is at his dickiest in that comic. You know the page I'm talking about.

That wasn't Scott, that was Shilo

Aw shit.

Where's the storytime?

This. I just checked the archive, why wasn't there a story time

Yeah, just read it and want to see if Sup Forums sperged out at King's antics again.

Recently finished both Kirby's New Gods and Mister Miracle, also interest in more recent comics.

Hope I did this right
Story time here

There was one.

It was a shitposting fest.

Reposting for the night crowd.

Sue me, but Gerads draws some handsome, mature Scott here. And a sexy on in the variant. I dig him.

Funny.
The tape is stamped in his eyes / upper face in each picture.

Feel free to speculate.

What is the significance of the tape covering Child Scott and Oberon's eyes?
Why is Barda's eye color inconsistent? Moreso, how much of the story is in Scott's head?
How did Scott get to this story in the aftermath of his separation with Barda post-Darkseid War?
What is the true significance of the slow consumption of page space by Darkseid's presense? Is it a voice in the back of his head beckoning him to submit? Is it the slow altering of Scott's reality?
Did Mister Miracle truly escape death?
And was it him who set the trap in the first place?

I love that show.

twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/895472522023587840

Oh yeah, and a preview of #2.

There are also some preview pages out there. But they don't tell a lot.

Is Scott already trapped by the Anti-Life? Is killing himself his attempt at escaping the Anti-Life's grasp?

I was thinking that King is, maybe, working towards the same idea of that superman story of Moore, but giving it a different take.

Maybe, for whatever reason, Scott is trapped in a twisted version of his daily life, war and heroics included. And, as something is corrupting him and his mental VR (the antilife equation, that nth methal stuff they are pushing, something else new), he's trying to unvonciously make sense of it, like when you create reasons and scouses in a dream or a nightmare for the story to make sense. But because he knows something is wrong deep down, and because he's rational and thoughtful, and a curious person, he's noticing that definitely something is wrong and eventually he will break free out of this ilusion.

That's my take.

You couldn't just post a link to the other thread?

So his power is being an escape artist right? Like how does that work? Does he let himself get captured and then confound the villain by escaping?

No, his powers are super strength, speed, reflexes, and stamina. He also has rapid recovery and crazy durability. However, he is a master of escaspology. I don't know if he still has the Alpha Effect.

Yeah, I've started to really dig Gerads' art lately

Is this monthly?

Storytime guy started the thread without mentioning the issue in the subject line. Here it is tho

fuck. this.

Not sure how I felt about the idea of King's style of dark storytelling for Mister Miracle, but I actually thought this was really good.

anti-life or omega sanction, yeah probably

That dude from Super Smash Bros.?

I'm joking don't kill me. I know it's the 100th year of the King.

Don't bitch about a relevant storytime.

Norrin does great things.

>spoilering images in the storytime
For what purpose?

Jesus fucking christ how new are you?

That's not even a question worth answering, lurk more. Or gain common sense. Or stop visiting on a phone.

What's the point of doing it? Post the fucking images.

>post the fucking images
what did the phoneposter mean by this?

>phoneposting

Where are you getting this?
I'm just on my desktop and it's purely superfluous to spoiler images in a storytime.

The images are there, it isn't superfluous. It mimics the suspense of turning the fucking page you faggot fuck.

If you weren't a newfag you would know this. Have you ever even touched a fucking floppy in your life?

>Is it the slow altering of Scott's reality?
I don't think that the comic provided any hints towards this theory.

I see Gerards is back on Punisher again, very nice.

Can someone do a Kirby's fourth world/New Gods/Mister Miracle storytime? I'm bored at work.

So is King pulling an Inception-style twist here, where Scott needs to die in the dream in order to really wake up?

It's a real shame that Kirby wasn't able to get the Gaiman treatment and that his Fourth World concepts and ideas are forced to be regurgitated forever and ever.

Moore's Superman nothing, both Morrison and Kirby himself have already pulled that shit off with Mister Miracle. In some ways the escape from you own mind is one of the most natural Mister Miracle stories you can tell, the other being escape from your own mind.

Why did it have a Mature Readers rating? NOTHING happened that couldn't fit a pg13 book

Why is Scott so cute?

Attempted suicide is pg?

Probably due to the fairly graphic attempted suicide.

(well, graphic as the DC goes, anyways)

Yeah I think it's just that this is probably too much blood for T given the context. Supervillain killing someone is different from self-harm.

>Can someone do a Kirby's fourth world/New Gods/Mister Miracle storytime? I'm bored at work.

It's in the Archives

At least we have the Omnibuses

Yes.

King needs therapy

Nah, just don't read that stuff. It'll be long forgotten when people are still reading Kirby.

Ratings are meme and for advertising. They want people to know it is mature.

Well, it happens each time something makes the plot progress, more or less.
I read them as pauses, maybe as the pauses an old tapes makes when it's not in good condition. Gives an uneasy and unreal feel to the story. And a broken rhythm.

Writing comics is his therapy.

>being this autistic about a pirated funnybook
LMAOing at your life nigga.

holy shit, where is this from?

Cover for #2

Very good.

I may be wrong, but Moore's "For the man that has everything" was published way before Morrison's Seven Soldiers. And I see King taking that premise as a starting point, given that he's a fan of Moor and not Morrison.

Of course, he would also take ideas on Kirby's work. Seems reasonable, being his character and his centenary and the master.

I know it's not the most new story tool ever, is old as fuck and has been used a lot as a tool for building stories. I don't see anything wrong with it, if it serves his purpose of telling a story about something else well (being that a story about how the world is falling into madness or whatever).

I really like that his eyes are covered here, it's a 2 way barrier. Subtle and effective, great job by Gerards.

Besides the suicide stuff, it's probably be written for mature readers. Not every mature reading implies violence or sex, or bad language.

Scott Free as Messiah is definitely a Morrison idea, and it's something Morrison has mentioned with regards to Mister Miracle outside of Shilo Norman.

Well, I can see that. Yep.
But hey, it's not hard to think of him like that, given his context and background, in King's defence.
At least, not for me, being a (culturally) catholic.

It's a nice cover that makes something with the character and probably is related to the issue.

He's smiling in the cameras as Mr Miracle, bur he's not smiling as himself.
That Batman t-shirt. Batfags, man.

The camera or how those people are, they only see Mr. Miracle and not Scott Free.

This series is so fucking deep

It's not deep, but is symbolic, and makes for a nice cover, definitely.

Nigga, stop shitposting unless you are at the very least reading Alternative Comics.

Nothing about his context and background really plays to it. In fact, that's where it breaks down.
But I agree that the base conceit is where I can see someone thinking there's parallels.

It's a pretty natural idea though. Like considering what a central place Mister Miracle thematically has in the Fourth World concept, it's actually pretty surprising how removed he was from the center stage in Kirby's writing.

Well, he was the impetus for the breaking of the Pact. Used as a loophole to allow Darkseid to start the conflict again.

While Orion was always meant to be the main focus, you're right that he was never given more to do with the other figures in the mythos. His series did flesh out concepts like The Soldier Boys and the Furies and the Lowlies though.

I dunno, user.
He's the son of the god of good.
He's raised as some "normal" guy (for New Gods standards, anyway)
He grows up under tyranny (Romans who were controlling Herodes reign)
He late becomes a figure for freedom from slavery for the people of Apocolips.
He makes Barda turn for the good side.

I probably are forgetting some points, but there is that.

I'm not complaining, guys.
Being not too deep into the big scheme made him appear in JLI and that's cool. Besides, not giving him a too big gravitas makes him sort of relatable and it's part of his charisma, I guess.